"Beautiful" guitar moments in songs

Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand

Solo starting around the 2:40 mark. Love the solo even the tone (granted it's a live recording) sucks.

Also love the outro solo starting around the 3:20 mark, but the long note at 3:49 or so gives me the chills. 

Billy Gibbon's outro solo on Rough Boy starting around the 2:50 mark. It's the shift at around the 3:14 mark that sends it in another direction. Love it.

• Hook 'Em 1

saw gilmour's tour in 2005 when rick wright was playing with him. echoes was sublime. i had purposely avoided looking at setlists for the tour and was absolutely floored when i heard those opening notes. 

• Drool 1

4 hours ago, BeardIP said:

An old millennial classic:

Use Your Illusion was released in 1991.  By Millennial, you mean when they were being born, right?

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Use Your Illusion was released in 1991.  By Millennial, you mean when they were being born, right?

An old millennial, as I stated, was born in early 80's and would absolutely remember this video and song on MTV. Right?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

An old millennial, as I stated, was born in early 80's and would absolutely remember this video and song on MTV. Right?

maybe, I guess. The very oldest Millennials would have been 10 when the album debuted.

"an old millennial classic" was all you posted.  GNR isn't that, and that song certainly is not.. 

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

maybe, I guess. The very oldest Millennials would have been 10 when the album debuted.

"an old millennial classic" was all you posted.  GNR isn't that, and that song certainly is not.. 

Alrighty then. Moving on...

On 12/19/2023 at 7:29 PM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The painfully quiet to guitarphoria is such an effective crescendo. JFC it's hair raising and probably is most in my head when I think of beauty produced by guitar.

One of Led Zeppelin's hidden gems, and probably the only song I can play from beginning to end without wandering off into something different.

I played this in a Guitar Center several years ago and the salesperson stopped to say "Wow, you're the first person who's ever played that here."

Of course Jimmy plays it better. Such a contemplative tone.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 6:04 PM, HiggyBaby said:

I’m going to toss in Rough Boy. 80s ZZ Top was all about experimenting with the synths but damn if Gibbons didn’t throw in some terrific work on this one. The outro is especially killer for me. I’m posting this guy covering all the guitar parts of the song because he nails it well.

I posted a live version of Rough Boy further up the thread. Without doubt my favorite ZZ Top song.

Kent Carveli was a youtuber who covered a lot of Van Halen songs. This is his rendition of Rough Boy. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, especially the tap harmonics before he goes into the solos (skip to 2:14 or 3:17 if you just want to see the harmonics).

• Hook 'Em 1

The Keith Moon of guitar exploding out of the tape from the start with that raspy midrange Hamer tone. Then at 1:28, a just barely off parrot of Zander's melody for the the first 2 measures. On the third, the melody's still there but wonky. On the forth, the wings are off and the plane's on fire. Then every instrument is in sync. 

Beautiful

Way back when I posted a Loveless/Kevin Shields/MBV post and got a "well you're fucking wrong about this" post I responded to that was never reciprocated. So, just for the record and not that it matters, the starting point for shoegaze was pedal-free.

And, the part that matters, beautiful

• Hook 'Em 1

Another David Gilmour.  The Great Day For Freedom solo from his Live at Gdansk show is just so good.  Every note, every bend contains an eternity of emotion and volumes of melodic communication.  That Strat was truly a part of the man in this moment...

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 11:26 PM, Cajun said:

And the look on the band member's faces at the end.  That's the pure enjoyment of creating that sound together that you just don't see a lot of anymore.  So genuine, so authentic.

That feeling of “damn, we nailed it” can only be expressed as pure joy.

Several years ago, our entire worship team got together to just play. The team leader walked us through a new song, and in the middle of playing it for the first time, we just KNEW we got it.

When the song was over, the leader just looked at us and said “yeah, something like that.”

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 5:06 PM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

It's not just the tone or Grand Canyon echo, but (to me) indecipherable timing Keith Levene pastes on top of a straight 4 beat that makes this a whirly dervish. 

I'm a 47 year old complete novice asshat drummer that started messing around ~2 years ago. I can't for the life of me maintain proper timing while playing along to this. The echo, the vocal... I lose it every time. But it sure is fun to try. What a monster fucking jam. It's like listening to ambulances emerging in and out of some thick fog.

• Hook 'Em 1

Deep cut here... Mercury Rev "Chasing a Bee"

The guitar moment at 3:03 is so intense. Play it loud. It's like a huge bomb going off, you can literally feel/hear the shockwave.

I consider it beautiful anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

Velvet Underground - European Son

That beautiful guitar roar at 0:57,   holy jesus, that blew my mind as a college freshman when I heard it in the mid 80s.

Cant imagine what people thought of it in 1967.

• Hook 'Em 1