"Beautiful" guitar moments in songs

Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand

very quickly off the top of my head-

Little Wing generally, of course Jimi's version but also specifically in SRV's version the part where there's a little high crying unplucked guitar bend

Radiohead - Creep, the loud guitar chukka chukka and then(chukka) just beautiful loud noise in the key of whatever that song is in. I'm not a Radiohead guy, I didn't even have the album, i had some MTV buzz bin compilation CD on it but I would listen to that part over and over again. Like the sound is in the guitar and the guitarist is holding it back until he can't anymore and it's just singing out

Similar kind of deal for me but ten years later (18 years old driving back to my dorm from Waterloo instead of 8 years old with my discman on a family vacation) - track 1 Wilco Ghost is Born (At Least That's What You Said) when it goes from painfully quiet to Nils' guitar part breaking in

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Radiohead - Creep, the loud guitar chukka chukka and then(chukka) just beautiful loud noise in the key of whatever that song is in.

Great call.

For outrageous tone and virtuosity, my early teen brain exploded at this when it came out:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

track 1 Wilco Ghost is Born (At Least That's What You Said) when it goes from painfully quiet to Nils' guitar part breaking in

The painfully quiet to guitarphoria is such an effective crescendo. JFC it's hair raising and probably is most in my head when I think of beauty produced by guitar.

...but since you brought up Wilco, this warped hyper-vibrato "melody solo" would fall in the same category for me. Just beautiful guitar noise.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

First I thought about old man Segovia

Then I remember Roy playing his version of Malaguena on TV

Then there's three Kings 

It's a bunch of moments struck in time. Just a mic in a hotel in SA was all that man of the blues had to leave us.

I don't know where I am going to find beauty. So I'll keep my ears listening and an eye on the horizon.

Leon was a dishwasher before someone found him 

Where was Duane sleeping? 

Oh right. In the studio somewhere l.

Ain't even got to Knopfler

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 12:02 PM, baboso said:

outro starting around 4:45.

Sorta figured this thread would be outro-centric, and ain't nothing wrong with that. Wish I could find the particular live version of this I was looking for cuz the start at the 2 minute mark is almost a Cars-ish guitar/80s synth meld, but once Doug hits that next octave, the guitar is beautiful.

Prince and Purple Rain.  It resonated with me from the jump and some of my buddies gave me shit for liking Prince so much during Jr High and high school.  I would crank that shit just like Eddie and Eruption or AC*DC riffs.

See also: Mark Knopfler when I told people Money For Nothing isn’t even the best song on the new album everyone was buying because of MTV.  Admittedly, I bought it for the same reason, butI fell in love with it for MUCH deeper material on there.

9 hours ago, slorch said:

Prince and Purple Rain.  It resonated with me from the jump and some of my buddies gave me shit for liking Prince so much during Jr High and high school.  I would crank that shit just like Eddie and Eruption or AC*DC riffs.

Fun facts:  it was recorded live at First Avenue in Minneapolis, one of the midwest's most iconic clubs.  (By my one visit, I'd say it's smaller than Moody Theater.)  Strings were overdubbed later.  It was also edited down from a longer take.  That was Wendy's first show with The Revolution, and Prince credits her with pushing the song away from country towards rock.

• Hook 'Em 1

First all, this Clash cover breaks out of the gates with the genius of Mick impersonating an English bobby siren but the second guitar riff on top is what makes the irresistible hook that pops up throughout the the song.

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/25/2023 at 8:41 PM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

First all, this Clash cover breaks out of the gates with the genius of Mick impersonating an English bobby siren but the second guitar riff on top is what makes the irresistible hook that pops up throughout the the song.

Mick is underrated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m going to toss in Rough Boy. 80s ZZ Top was all about experimenting with the synths but damn if Gibbons didn’t throw in some terrific work on this one. The outro is especially killer for me. I’m posting this guy covering all the guitar parts of the song because he nails it well.

Edited by HiggyBaby
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ll add just a couple of tiny moment ones (vs. whole parts or songs) - just times where I listen and think, “damn, that’s good.”

On Tristessa, the way the guitar dives and crescendos and then it all comes back together is badass to me - 2:33-2:45

This one’s even shorter and more subtle, but just the perfect alignment of keys and guitar on the little riff 1:33-1:38.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 7:51 PM, Butch Had Not said:

Am i understanding this correctly? Guitar that you just can't ever not want to listen. Easily comfortably numb for me. 

On 12/29/2023 at 8:10 AM, locodos said:

Love the guitar in this one.

The Beethoven riff of In The Flesh has always been my favorite guitar part of The Wall.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:49 PM, jimmyjazz said:

The first 1:45 of this song pretty much turned AOR (album oriented rock) on its ear in 1976.  Two iconic guitar tones -- the 12-string acoustic and then Tom Scholz' insane chorused/distorted electric sound.  The latter was totally groundbreaking.

1) My brother learned this opening back in about 1982-ish when his guitar teacher was teaching him to pick strings rather than just strum. It was his first “learning to pick” / “learning to play lead guitar” song.

2) The bass guitarist has the bassiest bass guitarist hair that you’ve ever seen in your life.

3) I remember talking to someone random guy at a party sometime between the early ‘90s and the early ‘00s who was upset that the songwriter for Boston didn’t produce more songs because the lead singer’s talent was being wasted (or had been wasted) just sitting around waiting for new songs to be written. 

I recall saying that the singer could have written his own songs or joined up with others if he really wanted more songs.

That fell on deaf ears.

11 hours ago, slorch said:

The first :35 is just guitar bliss, IMHO.

Wore the shit out of that album in college. Saw him play a show in Hogg Auditorium (where I actually took an undergraduate final) the summer of 2004, and it blew me away. 

I like this even better than Cliffs of Dover. Lots of great sounds throughout.

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

3) I remember talking to someone random guy at a party sometime between the early ‘90s and the early ‘00s who was upset that the songwriter for Boston didn’t produce more songs because the lead singer’s talent was being wasted (or had been wasted) just sitting around waiting for new songs to be written. 

I recall saying that the singer could have written his own songs or joined up with others if he really wanted more songs.

That fell on deaf ears.

That singer (Brad Delp) eventually committed suicide.

One to come to mind for me is Beautifully Broken by Gov't Mule from the Deepest End show.  Filmed down in NOLA as a tribute to Allen Woody..it was a parade of all star bass guests and the show started at like midnight and went til like 4-5 am..this was after a day of Jazzfest.  It was fucking awesome.  Anyway...here ya go.

It's a great song and really builds to the solo at about 7:30 or so.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 8:50 AM, South Austin said:

Saw him play a show in Hogg Auditorium

*Derail*

I'll always associate Hogg Auditorium with my freshman year, getting all pumped up to see one of the original Star Wars high as a kite with my hallmate and both of us simultaneously having an epiphany in the balcony- "this is the goddamn dumbest movie ever". 

Posted (edited)

Don't know how I missed this one, but...

Just off the top of my head real quick is Pearl Jam, "Inside Job."  Written by McCreedy.  (I'm more of a Gossard guy if I had to pick)

At about 4 min it's starts to creep toward the outro with some really nice chord changes and tone.  But McCreedy's outro solo is just killer.  Just so much attack.  (could listen on repeat)

Edited by Rip76

Sticking with PJ theme.  I remember when I bought Binaural, and I was listening to "Rival."  There's a little break that starts at about 2:00, but at about 2:18 there's another change that's kick ass.  Very brief, but makes its point well.

Love the small changes that make a big difference.