The Great Value Red River Shootout: Aggy vs. Okie Lite

markstanco

After watching OSU 2 games in a row, I would not feel good about the defense going in to next year.  Texas having receivers running wide open all over the place is one thing, but when ATM does the same thing with 3 scholarship receivers and a 4th string true freshman qb who struggles to throw spirals, I would be real nervous about next season.  Maybe Nardo figures it out or maybe his defense just keeps sucking shit through a straw because he's in over his head.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Gordon wasn't the best top 5 RB we faced.

The Tech guy... that guy's legit. Absolutely the real thing.

Brooks is really good for sure.  But I feel like you are basing this just off Gordon’s performance against Texas, which had more to do with your D-line dominating our OL than anything Ollie did or didn’t do.

Brooks and Gordon faced seven common opponents in conference play - WVU, Houston, K-State, Kansas, BYU, UCF and Texas.  Their stats in those seven games:

• Gordon - 163 carries, 975 yards (6.0 ypc), 14 TDs
  • Brooks - 169 carries, 859 yards (5.1 ypc), 6 TDs

And because they weren’t common opponents, those exclude two of Ollie’s statistically best games (OU and Cincy).  

It’s also worth mentioning that Brooks was a senior this year while Ollie was/is a true sophomore. When Ollie is Brooks’ age, he’ll be on an NFL team not playing college ball.

Brooks is really good to be sure, but there’s a reason Ollie won the Doak Walker Award.

15 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Brooks is really good for sure.  But I feel like you are basing this just off Gordon’s performance against Texas, which had more to do with your D-line dominating our OL than anything Ollie did or didn’t do.

Brooks and Gordon faced seven common opponents in conference play - WVU, Houston, K-State, Kansas, BYU, UCF and Texas.  Their stats in those seven games:

• Gordon - 163 carries, 975 yards (6.0 ypc), 14 TDs
  • Brooks - 169 carries, 859 yards (5.1 ypc), 6 TDs

And because they weren’t common opponents, those exclude two of Ollie’s statistically best games (OU and Cincy).  

It’s also worth mentioning that Brooks was a senior this year while Ollie was/is a true sophomore. When Ollie is Brooks’ age, he’ll be on an NFL team not playing college ball.

Brooks is really good to be sure, but there’s a reason Ollie won the Doak Walker Award.

Gordon is a little bitch but he's quite talented.

• Hook 'Em 1

He’s definitely been over the top as the hype train ran him over.  I’m hoping both the personal foul + expected earful from Gundy will calm his ass down a little.  Not sure how I’d have handled going from an obscure RB to a Doak winner in the span of 9 games as a sophomore either.  

After watching OSU 2 games in a row, I would not feel good about the defense going in to next year.  Texas having receivers running wide open all over the place is one thing, but when ATM does the same thing with 3 scholarship receivers and a 4th string true freshman qb who struggles to throw spirals, I would be real nervous about next season.  Maybe Nardo figures it out or maybe his defense just keeps sucking shit through a straw because he's in over his head.
Meh, first year with a new DC. Two years ago most here wanted to fire PK after that shitshow of a season. Maybe you're right and Okie Lite has no defense next year, but what you see in the bowl game doesn't necessarily carry over...good or bad.

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

It’s really more than that. We basically have everyone back except for Bowman (probably).  We’re also getting Stribling back from injury which is basically like pulling an elite receiver out of the portal.  The fact that spare parts like Leon Johnson and Rashad Owens were out there piling up 100-yard receiving games after Ollie got going really makes me wonder what kind of insane numbers Stribling would have put up in that stretch.  He will be a HUGE problem next year for teams stacking the box to stop Ollie.

I also am very bullish on defensive improvement next year.  For starters it will be year 2 of Nardo, and so there will just be some improvement based on having the same DC for two years in a row, which we haven’t had since 2020-21.  The biggest problem BY FAR with the defense this year was our freshmen safeties getting abused by any team with a competent downfield passing game. We kind of knew those guys were gonna take some lumps this year and once teams figured out they were easily confused they were picked on constantly.  Some of that will just improve year-over-year based on accumulated experience.

The biggest factor for OSU ceiling next year will be what happens with the QB situation. You know what your’e gonna get with Bowman, but we’ll see if we decide to try and pluck someone out of the portal or just roll with one of our young guys. Given everything around them (experienced OL, Ollie, experienced and deep WR corp) it would seem to be the ideal season to break in a young QB, but the normal “young QB” lumps could happen, but then also one of those guys (Flores maybe) could have a much higher ceiling than Bowman. We’ll see.

But on the other side of the equation, the schedule is fairly difficult.  We are stupidly playing South Dakota State for some reason (currently undefeated and about to play in the FCS championship game) and Arkansas in non-conference and we have road games in conference at K-State, BYU, Colorado, Baylor and TCU and home games with Arizona State, Utah, TTU and WVU.   We basically play every serious conference contender next year except Arizona.

The secondary's problems are also that we just can't pressure the QB consistently. I really hope Nardo and staff rethink how we use Colin Oliver. He basically disappeared this year compared to last year. He was moved from a true DE to a rushing LB and it just hasn't worked. Last night for example, he rushes from the outside, ends up behind the QB, and all the QB has to do is step up and run or take a few extra seconds to complete a pass. It's been so frustrating to watch. He ends up outside the play 90% of the time. There has to be a better scheme. 

39 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

It's also based off of Brooks' performance against Texas, which also featured our D-line dominating Tech's OL. Brooks managed almost triple the yardage, most of which was after contact.

What I saw in both games was that Tahj Brooks was a lot harder to catch and bring down for our defense than any other running back we faced -- and for the same front seven guys of ours. Tech wasn't doing any better job blocking -- worse, really. They sure as hell weren't scheming him into better plays. When they brought down Ollie Gordon, it was: Another day, another dollar. But when they brought down Tahj, you could just see the guys going, "Whew, thank GOD we got him down."

And if you look at the statistics of both games, you'll see what I mean; Tech managed 80 yards less of total offense than y'all against our D (281 for you over 56 plays for 5 yards per play, 198 for the Zorros in 61 plays for 3.24 Yards per play). But Tahj had much more success: 95 yards on 19 carries at a nice even 5.0 yards per carry, versus Ollie's 13 for 34, a downright pedestrian 2.6 yards per carry.

So the evidence of both my own lying eyes and the statistics is that both of y'all had shitty OLs, but Tech's is even shittier, and yet Tahj managed to get double the yards per carry that Ollie did. And that's just if we take the games in isolation, here. I put to you that if Ollie played for Tech and Tahj played for y'all, Tahj would be the rushing leader and Doak winner, and by a lot more than Ollie won it this year.

On 12/27/2023 at 2:48 PM, Mikey4 said:

Here are some authentic aggy views on Oklahoma State, made during and immediately after the Big 12 title game (i.e., after Texas was destroying Oklahoma State, but before aggy knew it would be playing Oklahoma State in a bowl).   Let's see if they feel the same way after the game tonight...

_____secteamswouldwin.jpg.5e4a6be428ce85046092410f5c8373c4.jpg

Glad we know the answer is more than zero.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

It's also based off of Brooks' performance against Texas, which also featured our D-line dominating Tech's OL. Brooks managed almost triple the yardage, most of which was after contact.

What I saw in both games was that Tahj Brooks was a lot harder to catch and bring down for our defense than any other running back we faced -- and for the same front seven guys of ours. Tech wasn't doing any better job blocking -- worse, really. They sure as hell weren't scheming him into better plays. When they brought down Ollie Gordon, it was: Another day, another dollar. But when they brought down Tahj, you could just see the guys going, "Whew, thank GOD we got him down."

And if you look at the statistics of both games, you'll see what I mean; Tech managed 80 yards less of total offense than y'all against our D (281 for you over 56 plays for 5 yards per play, 198 for the Zorros in 61 plays for 3.24 Yards per play). But Tahj had much more success: 95 yards on 19 carries at a nice even 5.0 yards per carry, versus Ollie's 13 for 34, a downright pedestrian 2.6 yards per carry.

So the evidence of both my own lying eyes and the statistics is that both of y'all had shitty OLs, but Tech's is even shittier, and yet Tahj managed to get double the yards per carry that Ollie did. And that's just if we take the games in isolation, here. I put to you that if Ollie played for Tech and Tahj played for y'all, Tahj would be the rushing leader and Doak winner, and by a lot more than Ollie won it this year.

OK man that’s cool.

I just tend to judge players based on a larger sample size than one game. Against 7 common opponents, Ollie had a significant edge in production.

And again - Tahj is two years older than Ollie. You’re comparing a four-year senior starter to a true sophomore who has been the full-time stater for less than a season.

You think Ollie might be somewhat tougher to bring down consistently two years from now with continued physical development and significantly more in-game experience?

To be fair to Ollie he played against some piss poor defenses, but he didn't make the schedule. He was already crowned "best RB" before he ran into the brick wall named Sweat and Murphy. Oh, and we may have banged him up a bit, not enough time to heal before aggy.

Pretty sure he was banged up some before the Texas game.

47 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

OK man that’s cool.

I just tend to judge players based on a larger sample size than one game. Against 7 common opponents, Ollie had a significant edge in production.

And again - Tahj is two years older than Ollie. You’re comparing a four-year senior starter to a true sophomore who has been the full-time stater for less than a season.

You think Ollie might be somewhat tougher to bring down consistently two years from now with continued physical development and significantly more in-game experience?

the dude your opinion GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Pretty sure he was banged up some before the Texas game.

He was not fully healthy in any game after Bedlam.

Healthy enough to play, obviously, but his ankle limited his explosiveness after that. You could see a noticeable drop-off in speed/explosiveness after that. Still really good, but not like he was through Bedlam.

4 hours ago, Modessit said:
19 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:
The slobbering interview in the booth with Elko was annoying. It was even more annoying that he started every answer with, “yeah”, and then continued his response.

It's better than those dumbasses who answer every question with "100%..." before answering.

100%

• Haha 3