Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

Just now, Gut Wagon said:

Gutierrez has been tremendous of late. What a bounceback since UH. 

This. She’s the only reason we have a win over OU and OSU 

maybe this win and our hitting in key spots will give us the shot in the arm we need to break out of our funk at the plate.

You have to think Patty goes back to Maxwell tomorrow, no?  

I'm guessing we go Teagan with Estelle in relief?  

You see why it takes near perfection to beat OU. The bottom of their order flattened two balls in the 7th, when they simply had to generate some offense against our most dependable recent pitcher. One ball was caught on a great play, the other went to the wall. We're incredibly lucky that baserunning gaffe didn't cost us the game. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, bschoolprof said:

maybe this win and our hitting in key spots will give us the shot in the arm we need to break out of our funk at the plate.

You have to think Patty goes back to Maxwell tomorrow, no?  

I'm guessing we go Teagan with Estelle in relief?  

Freshman needs to eat tomorrow 

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

You see why it takes near perfection to beat OU. The bottom of their order flattened two balls in the 7th, when they simply had to generate some offense against our most dependable recent pitcher. One ball was caught on a great play, the other went to the wall. We're incredibly lucky that baserunning gaffe didn't cost us the game. 

Yeah, they good.  

Hopefully we can use Hunter's miscue as a teaching point to never let that happen again.  But's it's happened multiple times this year.  Just total brainfarting out there.  

These girls and their fight are awesome to watch. Unfortunately I don’t think White will ever fix the base running because he’s always going to be more aggressive versus less aggressive on the bases. However, the early jumps need to stop. There’s no reason for it, and it absolutely ruins the game. He needs to get that part fixed if we’re going to get anywhere in the postseason. Other than that I’m good with the aggressiveness on the bases. That’s who we are and who he recruits. Bottom line, these girls can make it to the top and I’m going to enjoy watching them try to get there. Hook em 

10 minutes ago, b_p said:

These girls and their fight are awesome to watch. Unfortunately I don’t think White will ever fix the base running because he’s always going to be more aggressive versus less aggressive on the bases. However, the early jumps need to stop. There’s no reason for it, and it absolutely ruins the game. He needs to get that part fixed if we’re going to get anywhere in the postseason. Other than that I’m good with the aggressiveness on the bases. That’s who we are and who he recruits. Bottom line, these girls can make it to the top and I’m going to enjoy watching them try to get there. Hook em 

Shouldn’t be difficult to say do not leave early and have the players be able to do it. That extra 10th of a second, or even half a second if you are super conservative won’t make a difference 95% of the time, especially if you aren’t stealing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

With review now allowed, and with each team trying so hard to catch the other leaving early, it makes no sense to keep risking it. If it's a pivotal play the opponent will challenge, and the video won't be your ally. I can't think of many mental errors easier or more important to correct. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Man what an opportunity today. We’ve seen all of their pitchers in 2 games. They haven’t seen TK yet. If we can just figure out Maxwell and TK can pitch a gem

• Hook 'Em 1

Perhaps lost in the leaving early nonsense was Stewie breaking out of her slump.  She had two monster hits.

If we could just get Atwood out of her slump.  She's whiffing on fastballs right over the plate. 

I'm hopeful a few of the bats waking up just a bit will give us the mojo we need for everyone to start hitting.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

what a game!!  

Reviews are killing softball though.  It's such a beating they have to change.  

What is needed is umpires that don’t blow 4-6 calls every game. IMHO, reviews would go down if the overturn rate went down. If I was a coach, I would challenge something every time the opposing team scored a big run. 

36 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Perhaps lost in the leaving early nonsense was Stewie breaking out of her slump.  She had two monster hits.

If we could just get Atwood out of her slump.  She's whiffing on fastballs right over the plate. 

I'm hopeful a few of the bats waking up just a bit will give us the mojo we need for everyone to start hitting.  

Was nice to see Stewart hit a few balls hard. Atwood’s issue is the same issue many of the girls are having….they are trying to pull every pitch.

Citlaly did the one thing you have to do if you want a shot to beat OU - limit free passes. She only allowed one free base (a HBP) - no walks!

back to back CG wins over OSU and OU for CG. To give us a chance yet again to win a big series 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

What is needed is umpires that don’t blow 4-6 calls every game. IMHO, reviews would go down if the overturn rate went down. If I was a coach, I would challenge something every time the opposing team scored a big run. 

Umps will never get much better.  Each team should get 1 challenge, which they retain if correct.  No ump reviews allowed at all.