Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have a suspicion of what is going on here, and no, it's not that you're a troll.  It's a little more nuanced than that.  Congrats on your degrees and your pay stubs.

derka is in the same boat and it's very obvious.

Edited by HtownHorn

12 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Imagine not having reading comprehension because you're too busy apologizing for the coach. Prove my post wrong - the one I wrote, not what your fellow apologists (we are not pro RT but we like to defend him any chance we get) made up. Lololol

Pro-RT crowd is back at peak euphoria after beating OU at home. I get it. 

Imagine that.  Rooting for our coach and being happy we beat ou.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I think I said somewhere earlier in the thread that RT will win enough to hang around until year three. After that, he either gets an extension or moves on. 
I don’t think he has what it takes to be a difference maker as a coach and program head based on past history. But, he will get a chance to prove otherwise. 
Last years team was designed to make a deep tournament run. They were mature, good and smart. He certainly could have screwed it up and for the most part he kept things moving. I just think last years team had a couple more tournament games in them that better coaching and some better luck certainly would have helped out with. Beard said as much in my presence (that his first year team was designed to make a run in year 2) and that part of that was the struggles that took place in his first year. Adding Rice was a big part of it as it filled a hole that emerged in year one. Having a healthy Disu was another. 
RT will have to do some really heavy lifting for next year and will have some tough decisions to make. I don’t think we are going to be able to solely rely on two freshman so he’s going to have to really build around them. I think what he does this off season will determine his future.  
I certainly don’t begrudge those who are bullish on RT. I’m just a bit mystified by the certainty they express. 
I’m just not seeing it in his history but that’s why they play the games. 
Our non conference schedule was terrible this year except for two games and we lost them both.  He could have gone a long way in silencing his critics by beating UCF and WVU. 

Who’s actually bullish on Rodney?   Even us “pro RT” guys are pretty guarded.

also I wouldn’t sling the non conference talk stone too far.  Take a peak at ole miss ooc schedule this year 

46 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

also I wouldn’t sling the non conference talk stone too far.  Take a peak at ole miss ooc schedule this year 

I’ll throw it as far as I want.  I don’t give a fuck about Ole Miss. If you are going to be snarky at least do it well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I felt the thread was coming down on him a tad harshly for his “average” comment. But then I read his metric quote.

Imagine living your life with little metrics on your wall where you constantly compare yourself to the lives of others and believe that every metric you “lead” in is cause for celebration and some bizarre confirmation of your superiority over others. What a complete misunderstanding of what life on this planet is all about.

He does for sure lead in one metric: the douchebag one. He’s sky high at the top of the leaderboard of that metric. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

He does for sure lead in one metric: the douchebag one. He’s sky high at the top of the leaderboard of that metric.

Yet another metric I dominate my peers in! The Ws just keep coming! If I was a nurse, I’d be the highest paid nurse in the country. No nurse would lead in more metrics than me!  

/UTEE97, definitely

• Haha 2

I don't know about the semantics of "average" but I feel RT has been kinda mid this year. 9-9 in conference is fine and certainly better than what i expected. Unless you have an inarguable top 3 coach, just position yourself as nicely as possible for a run in March.

23 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I don't know about the semantics of "average" but I feel RT has been kinda mid this year. 9-9 in conference is fine and certainly better than what i expected. Unless you have an inarguable top 3 coach, just position yourself as nicely as possible for a run in March.

the season starts over 3/20

Everyone will be 0-0

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Literally nobody.  There isn't a single UT fan that I know of, on this board or in real life, who believes that RT would have gotten the job if the Beard fiasco had happened in the offseason and we opened up an actual coaching search. All of the "RT apologists" are simply rooting for the team and providing a check against the doom and gloom.  Not one of us believe he is on the same level as Chris Beard (or Tom Izzo or Bill Self).  Let me repeat that for the millionth time.  Not one of us believe he is on the same level as Chris Beard (or Tom Izzo or Bill Self).

But, I think a lot of us tire of the seemingly unfair characterization of RT.  He actually did a good job at Fresno State.  You could argue that he did the best job of any coach there in the last 40 years. And his tenure at UTEP was short and interrupted by Covid right in the middle of it.  At both spots he recruited way better than their historical averages. People don't have to mischaracterize RT as a bottom quartile coach, to show that he isn't good enough for Texas.  Once again, not one of us believe he is on the same level as Chris Beard, and we all believe that is the caliber of coach we can get.

But... RT is our coach for at least a few years and I'm rooting for him to succeed.  And so far he is doing better than his previous record would suggest.  He has worked Porter Moser, a coach who had better accolades than him going into the job, coaching at a school with arguably a better basketball history.  I also wouldn't trade him for Jerome Tang or Wes Miller or Michael Boynton. 

He also finished the year ranked better than OUR historic mean over the last 30 years. And those years were under the leadership of three coaches who have all won National Coach of the Year.  So, I would say he is doing a pretty decent job all things considered, but let's see what happens over the next few weeks.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

What does Mississippi’s ooc schedule have to do with anything? You went out of your way for that and for what?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

the reason people get labeled bullish on RT is because we have a group of posters who really bend over backwards to make excuses for RT, and to paint everything about him and his team in the most positive light at all times. people who make excuses for him only to then turn around and be dismissive of everything that barnes, or beard, or another coach does successfully.

thats why y’all get labeled bullish. a better term might be “RT homer” or “RT apologist”, but you can understand why that makes people think that you’re bullish on him. because you hold him to a different standard than you do any other coach out there. 

without naming names, we have posters here who see rick barnes winning big all season with a team that’s been top 5 in kenpom all year and they say, “we all know he’s gonna implode and blow it” (he didn’t btw), who then turn around and insist that, “we have no idea what RT will do with this team, let’s wait and see!” we have posters here who say that chris beard should make the tourney with this team:

IMG_0774.jpeg.2cf03654f536894f7584d857bf975249.jpeg

yet who act like RT has done a really great job this year even though he really hasn’t done a particularly great job despite having an experienced, athletic, highly rated team that can really shoot amd that returns key guys from an Elite 8 team. and forget about any of you guys even admitting that being no.250 in the country and dead last in the league in 3-point defense is a problem. y’all never address that giant elephant in the room. you’ll say, “if only we had won our close losses then we’d be a 4 seed!”, but you’ll never say, “if we weren’t absolutely pathetic at defending the three we’d be a 4 seed.

bottom line: you guys hold RT to a much different standard than you do anyone else. you treat him with kid gloves; you make excuses for him; you ignore his weak points; you blindly project success for him and praise whatever job he does while also predicting failure for/being way harsher on better coaches at different schools. so with all of this being the case, then a)you can see why people think y’all are bullish on RT, and b)if you truly aren’t bullish on him, then why all of the mental gymnastics and rose colored (gold rimmed) glasses for everything RT does?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

I think its funny that some have taken offense to being labeled as bullish on RT. 

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Because he’s the freaking benchmark in basketball apparently.  

Just quit making yourself look stupid 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the reason people get labeled bullish on RT is because we have a group of posters who really bend over backwards to make excuses for RT, and to paint everything about him and his team in the most positive light at all times. people who make excuses for him only to then turn around and be dismissive of everything that barnes, or beard, or another coach does successfully.

thats why y’all get labeled bullish. a better term might be “RT homer” or “RT apologist”, but you can understand why that makes people think that you’re bullish on him. because you hold him to a different standard than you do any other coach out there. 

without naming names, we have posters here who see rick barnes winning big all season with a team that’s been top 5 in kenpom all year and they say, “we all know he’s gonna implode and blow it” (he didn’t btw), who then turn around and insist that, “we have no idea what RT will do with this team, let’s wait and see!” we have posters here who say that chris beard should make the tourney with this team:

IMG_0774.jpeg.2cf03654f536894f7584d857bf975249.jpeg

yet who act like RT has done a really great job this year even though he really hasn’t done a particularly great job despite having an experienced, athletic, highly rated team that can really shoot amd that returns key guys from an Elite 8 team. and forget about any of you guys even admitting that being no.250 in the country and dead last in the league in 3-point defense is a problem. y’all never address that giant elephant in the room. you’ll say, “if only we had won our close losses then we’d be a 4 seed!”, but you’ll never say, “if we weren’t absolutely pathetic at defending the three we’d be a 4 seed.

bottom line: you guys hold RT to a much different standard than you do anyone else. you treat him with kid gloves; you make excuses for him; you ignore his weak points; you blindly project success for him and praise whatever job he does while also predicting failure for/being way harsher on better coaches at different schools. so with all of this being the case, then a)you can see why people think y’all are bullish on RT, and b)if you truly aren’t bullish on him, then why all of the mental gymnastics and rose colored (gold rimmed) glasses for everything RT does?

He is less than one year in.  Sorry if a few of us are saying “let’s see what happens as he’s our coach for now”.   You’ve been railing on the guy anytime something bad happens.  Letting it play out doesn’t mean I’m an apologist.  

1 minute ago, CTC2 said:

I think its funny that some have taken offense to being labeled as bullish on RT. 

Just quit making yourself look stupid 

Wife beater thread is right below this.  

16 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I think it's funny that you can't read.

Take me, for instance.  I am not "bullish" on RT.  If I were a betting man, I would say this season is just about his ceiling, and in my world, UT deserves a higher ceiling.  I just tire of all you nancies (a)  mischaracterizing what more than half this board is saying and (b) seemingly being more interested in RT failing than succeeding.

Hook'em, dude.  Comprehend that.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I meant to press send on this earlier: You can be “pro Longhorn” and support RT while still being critical of him and his head coaching record. There’s nothing wrong with that. 

Everyone here, even those critical of him as the HC and feel he won’t be the answer long term, still want him and the team to be successful. The question is, what does success mean to those “pro RT” folks?

35 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He is less than one year in.  Sorry if a few of us are saying “let’s see what happens as he’s our coach for now”.

he’s in his 29th year as a d-1 coach for christ’s sake, and beyond that, people like you want to give him credit for leading the team to the elite 8 last year, so how in the hell do you figure he’s in year one?

35 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You’ve been railing on the guy anytime something bad happens.

bull. shit. this is a lie. stop repeating it. it’s 100% false. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

he’s in his 29th year as a d-1 coach for christ’s sake, and behind that, you want to give him credit for leading the team to the elite 8 last year, so how in the hell do you figure he’s in year one?

bull. shit. this is a lie. stop repeating it. it’s 100% false. 

What is it about Rodney that triggers you?   Help me understand.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think it's funny that you can't read.

Take me, for instance.  I am not "bullish" on RT.  If I were a betting man, I would say this season is just about his ceiling, and in my world, UT deserves a higher ceiling.  I just tire of all you nancies (a)  mischaracterizing what more than half this board is saying and (b) seemingly being more interested in RT failing than succeeding.

Hook'em, dude.  Comprehend that.

This is exactly what I was referring to. If you had actually read above who the specific poster I was talking about you would not have felt compelled to respond. 
And yes, reading is fundamental. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

The question is, what does success mean to those “pro RT” folks?

Success probably means the same as for the "anti-RT" folks. 

For me, it means being a top-10 program, which means regularly finishing in the KenPom top-10 and regularly being a top 1-3 seed.  And making 2nd weekend about half the time, with a Final Four sprinkled in every now and again.  Missing the tournament should almost never happen.

Unfortunately we have never achieved the kind of long-term success that we are capable of.  Certainly not with Shaka. Not with Beard (key words being long-term). Not with Penders.  And not really even with Barnes.  

I don't think a single one of the "pro RT" folks think he is capable of any of the above. I don't.  

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Success probably means the same as for the "anti-RT" folks. 

For me, it means being a top-10 program, which means regularly finishing in the KenPom top-10 and regularly being a top 1-3 seed.  And making 2nd weekend about half the time, with a Final Four sprinkled in every now and again.  Missing the tournament should almost never happen.

Unfortunately we have never achieved the kind of long-term success that we are capable of.  Certainly not with Shaka. Not with Beard (key words being long-term). Not with Penders.  And not really even with Barnes.  

I don't think a single one of the "pro RT" folks think he is capable of any of the above. I don't.  

I'd be pretty surprised if RT finishes his contract.  I just don't see it but I could be wrong.  I think we can be a top ten program and Barnes was pretty close to getting us there.

Really the worst part of hiring RT is that it is going to be very hard to fire him.  The resources at UT are so good (the NIL money, the new arena, Austin, the UT marketing machine, the money to hire good assistants), that it will be hard for Terry to fail bad enough to get fired.  Simply making the tournament every year will likely be enough for him to finish his contract.

I really think subconsciously (or consciously) everyone is aware of this.  So I think all this fighting really boils down to the anti-RT folks hoping that we go ahead and fail hard enough that we have to fire him, so we can move on and get a great coach. While the pro-RT folks are hoping that he can defy the odds and get us to a high level, because we know we are probably keeping him through his contract anyway.

I don't think either side is delusional. We all have the same data. 

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

While the pro-RT folks are hoping that he can defy the odds and get us to a high level, because we know we are probably keeping him through his contract anyway.

Uh, I'm hoping he can defy the odds and get us to a high level . . . because then we'd be at a high level . . . which is kind of the goal, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

If Terry can get a win or two in the conference tournament, along with a win and at least a competitive loss in the NCAA round of 32, I'd call this season a par round with the roster holes he needed to fill, injuries, and unexpected holes that some of the new guys came in with unexpectedly (Abmas' inconsistency with the step-up in competition at times, Shedrick's back, and Horton's ugly performances).  Weaver was a win, and Disu looked better than ever after returning from injury.  Next year will be the true test for him.  There have been flashes of very good scheme and play this year, but way too many minutes of WTF play on both ends.  Next year looks like a roster full of young SGs and SFs... gonna need someone who can handle the ball and keep his cool under fire and a paint protector who can get some points on the offensive end as well.  Hunter and Mitchell will probably choose to leave, but if they come back it's really a guess as to whether they bring inconsistency or seasoned leadership.  He needs to show he is an A coach to deserve to stick around at Texas in my opinion and this season will probably be a B or B+, unless there's a crazy run in the Big Dance.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he’s in his 29th year as a d-1 coach for christ’s sake, and beyond that, people like you want to give him credit for leading the team to the elite 8 last year, so how in the hell do you figure he’s in year one?

Because he's in his first year as the permanent head coach of the University of Texas men's basketball team. You got any other years I'm missing? Fact is a fact.

As for the second part, you've been #1 anti-RT fan since last March. Try rooting for the team AND the coach for a change. It ain't gonna hurt you to want the best for the man. In fact, it requires absolutely nothing to do so except an exercise of patient observation to learn the outcome. I promise you that you have no clue how that story is going to play out. And for the record, the success or failure of RT at Texas will have absolutely zero bearing on your life no matter how much you believe otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

As for the second part, you've been #1 anti-RT fan since last March. Try rooting for the team AND the coach for a change

jesus fucking christ you people keep saying this stupid, whiny shit and it has never been remotely true. you are literally just making this shit up. stop it. just fucking stop it. christ.

25 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Because he's in his first year as the permanent head coach of the University of Texas men's basketball team. You got any other years I'm missing? Fact is a fact.

the fact is that RT has nearly three decades as a D-1 coach in his resume. the ga f is also that you don’t get to give RT credit for leading Texas to the elite 8 last year only to turn around and claim that this year is his first year as HC. you people are so beyond disingenuous with this shit it is completely asinine.

RT saved this season and will produce the minimum expectation by making the tournament. 

That’s not going to get him fired in year one or two, but is not the expectation most fans have for the program moving forward (especially with the resources UT has). Most fans don’t see a foundation for much improvement next season with the expected personnel losses, but things can change quickly with the portal. Many fear we will be in the same position or worse next year, and nothing accomplished so far has changed that perception.

Edited by ChickenSandwich

9 minutes ago, HookEm said:

It's weird that so many people have this wrong opinion of you.

Nicole Kidman Thats Weird GIF by Paramount+

go ahead and back up the claim then. four of y’all have made these claims in the last 24 hours, yet you’ve produced nothing to back them up. the claim i’m constantly going out of my way to bash RT, that i’m anti RT, that i root against him; all of it is totally fabricated bullshit. but go ahead, prove me wrong. we have an entire thread dedicated to firing RT. since i’m just constantly going out of my way to bash the guy and since i apparently openly root against him, it should take you all of 30 seconds to go that thread and back up what you’re saying with countless examples of this. so go do it!

btw theres nothing “weird” about this entire group of pollyanna RT kool aid drinkers all repeating the same totally bullshit party line over and over. i don’t care how many people claim that trump actually won the 2020 election, or that we never went to the moon, or that i’ve been going out of my way to bash RT all year- a bunch of uninformed morons with an agenda and an axe to grind all saying the same irrefutably false shit doesn’t make it true. 

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

RT saved this season and will produce the minimum expectation by making the tournament. 

That’s not going to get him fired in year one or two, but is not the expectation most fans have for the program moving forward (especially with the resources UT has). Most fans don’t see a foundation for much improvement next season with the expected personnel losses, but things can change quickly with the portal. Many fear we will be in the same position or worse next season. Nothing has changed that perception this season. 

What about his recruiting has you worried? He currently has the #9 HS class, pulled in a very good portal class, and convinced Disu, Mitchell, and Hunter to return for another season. Recruiting is the least thing I am worried about with Terry. We lost more talented players last season than we will this season, and will have a bigger group of program guys with multiple seasons returning as opposed to Anamewke and Cunningham as the only surefire guys returning from last year's roster.

Gerry thinks Texas should move on from Hunter and Mitchell to try to bring in more guys with upside offensively from the portal.