2024 Golf: Not even God can hit a 1-iron

hacker

10 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Not familiar with Riverbend but I used to play Westwood several times a year and I liked it.  

Yeah. Fan of Westwood. Nice track. Shit location. It’s also a lot more expensive than RB, so trying to see if RB isn’t a more reasonable alternative if the golfing/comraderie is good there. 

4 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

guess this is the most current active thread…

Anyone a member at Riverbend sugarland?  Debating between it and Westwood. 

I was a member at RB for a while.  I got too busy to ever play golf, so cancelled.   It is an old school men's golf club.     If you have a wife that wants to do "country club" stuff, it is an after thought there. 

Its been quite a while since i played Westwood, but i preferred RB.

Back in the late 80s I had a set of Ben hogan blade equalizer irons. Liked them but I sold them.

They now have a wedge set that is classic looking and overall sweet lines. Any of yall have them?

https://www.benhogangolf.com/equalizer-ii-wedge-head-only/?sku=US-VTBGW-0602_H&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoPOwBhAeEiwAJuXRh96ZehWgknQTZCFsjlayJ2Enta8u6QWwK5fT0fQQUzJaw6YQnVEt9BoCqEQQAvD_BwE

Tired of back issues, not being able to play consecutive days and slowly losing distance the last 10 years so I started the Golf Forever program today.  Hopefully in the next 2 months all of the above improve.  I golf with a guy every week that swears by it and Scheffler wouldn’t lie to me about the program since he endorses it!

Old man is out of line but top chef slicer dude was wearing Birkenstocks playing golf. Nothings screams I suck at golf and am hitting everything on this course except fairways and greens than wearing sandals swinging a driver. I bet the hack and his buddies are playing from the tips, bro.

CSB warning.

Have a buddy who used to live on a golf course right at just about the perfect right handed slice yardage.  Stucco sided house that was constantly peppered with balls.  Looked like swiss cheese.  I didn't see it but he told me he came home once to a broken glass coffee table from a ball coming down his chimney.

14 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Old man is out of line but top chef slicer dude was wearing Birkenstocks playing golf. Nothings screams I suck at golf and am hitting everything on this course except fairways and greens than wearing sandals swinging a driver. I bet the hack and his buddies are playing from the tips, bro.

Fuck him and his house.

On 4/15/2024 at 7:39 PM, markstanco said:

Back in the late 80s I had a set of Ben hogan blade equalizer irons. Liked them but I sold them.

They now have a wedge set that is classic looking and overall sweet lines. Any of yall have them?

https://www.benhogangolf.com/equalizer-ii-wedge-head-only/?sku=US-VTBGW-0602_H&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoPOwBhAeEiwAJuXRh96ZehWgknQTZCFsjlayJ2Enta8u6QWwK5fT0fQQUzJaw6YQnVEt9BoCqEQQAvD_BwE

not sure I'd trust their quality vs a vokey / ping / taylor made wedge. in the end, buy whichever one looks best to you 

On 4/28/2024 at 4:34 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Tired of back issues, not being able to play consecutive days and slowly losing distance the last 10 years so I started the Golf Forever program today.  Hopefully in the next 2 months all of the above improve.  I golf with a guy every week that swears by it and Scheffler wouldn’t lie to me about the program since he endorses it!

get your back right first and foremost. better stretching maybe ?

push ups help too. then I'd go get fitted for a Q10 / 430 max10k / callaway AI. get fitted by the company rep, not some shmo at the golf shop. 

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

get your back right first and foremost. better stretching maybe ?

push ups help too. then I'd go get fitted for a Q10 / 430 max10k / callaway AI. get fitted by the company rep, not some shmo at the golf shop. 

Thanks for the advice.  The golf forever program is a lot of stretching and stuff to help your back.  Did the first day yesterday and it definitely will help my back if I stick to it.  Each day is two short sessions.  One that is stretching and core strength and then you have a session with the swing trainer which strengthens key muscles and movements for the golf swing.  The sessions are designed to be done in a specifics order that builds off of one another.

I got fitted for all my sticks by the same guy that does Scheffler, Spieth, Fowler, Palmer, etc… here in DFW.  Good fitters and not that expensive but they know their shit.  I’m in a Calllaway Rogue for my driver which I hit better than the Taylor Mades or Pings.  Once I get my movement back I am pretty sure I will gain some distance back also.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 9:11 AM, crash_davis said:

Seriously though, I understand being upset if your window gets broken but I'm not sure that approaching a group as a 70+ year-old, cussing and wielding a golf club is the right move.

The specific amount needed for the repair tells me this isn't anywhere close to the first time this has happened.  I think some unbreakable glass for the vulnerable windows would do wonders for this guy's life enjoyment factor. 

I certainly have been known to slice one from time to time, and once, even avoided buying a home on a course because of the potential hassle factor of golf balls hitting the house, but if someone does buy that house how do they let themselves get so worked up when ball hits it?  Seems like a risk you could evaluate, and make your peace with, when making the purchase. 

Having said all that, the Birk foot on the dash tells me there's at least a 40% chance these guys are douches who deserved everything the old man gave them. Video ended 10 seconds too soon,  I definitely wanted to see the next guy on the tee hit that ball. 

Edited by orange dream

45 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Seriously though, I understand being upset if your window gets broken but I'm not sure that approaching a group as a 70+ year-old, cussing and wielding a golf club is the right move.

The specific amount needed for the repair tells me this isn't anywhere close to the first time this has happened.  I think some unbreakable glass for the vulnerable windows would do wonders for this guy's life enjoyment factor. 

I certainly have been known to slice one from time to time, and once, even avoided buying a home on a course because of the potential hassle factor of golf balls hitting the house, but if someone does buy that house how do they let themselves get so worked up when ball hits it?  Seems like a risk you could evaluate, and make your peace with, when making the purchase. 

Having said all that, the Birk foot on the dash tells me there's at least a 40% chance these guys are douches who deserved everything the old man gave them. Video ended 10 seconds too soon,  I definitely wanted to see the next guy on the tee hit that ball. 

You know it headed right for the house in question.

one of the oldest rules in caddying is NEVER tell a golfer what they shouldn't do.  tell them what they should do.  power of suggestion.

46 minutes ago, orange dream said:

In the video some dude says there are 5 of them. I can't imagine the suck and douche levels of 5 hacks playing a 5 some. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Played Lakewood Member-Guest this week with @chitwood.  But for my ridiculously bad putting on the last day we might have managed to get into the shootout.  Anyway, course was in great shape and the company was excellent.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Played Lakewood Member-Guest this week with @chitwood.  But for my ridiculously bad putting on the last day we might have managed to get into the shootout.  Anyway, course was in great shape and the company was excellent.

The fact you made it a whole weekend with that grandpa speaks volumes of your character, sir. 

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

You should putt better.

😉

Posted (edited)

My putting went to shit. I couldn't get out of my own head thinking of everything except just hitting the ball with the correct pace on the correct line. I'd think about my hands, was the trail hand too open or closed, try to squeeze your trail pectoral muscle on the stroke, how much weight I had on lead foot (was it 60%, 70%?), looking at which dimple on the ball, worried about take away, was it too far inside, too far outside, etc. I was a mental mess.

Then one day I tried something on the practice green to help with my lag putt but ended helping a ton with my mental approach towards putting.

Maybe this may help someone.

I practiced taking a putting stance and instead of putting, I would roll balls towards the hole. Now that's my putting stroke thought when putting the ball. Just think of rolling with my hands a ball to the hole. This makes me instinctively just think of the actual ball roll, line, and pace instead of all that other shit.

Now if I can find something similar for my wedge game which has become complete mental shit.

Edited by crash_davis

I'm similar with my short game in general - the more technical, the worse off I get. For putting these days, I focus on getting myself aimed right but otherwise, it's pull the trigger and hit the ball, good tempo. Wedge game is the exact same - get aimed right, good tempo, hit the damn ball. 

What has helped me out is pick one wedge and use it for everything. Learn to pitch regular, flop with it, and deloft/punch. I use a 52 degree for everything inside of 75 yards. I practice on the pitching green at every 10 yards with 15-20 balls and hit balls 1/3 normal, flop and punch then move on to the next distance. You have to develop that feel

3 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

What has helped me out is pick one wedge and use it for everything. Learn to pitch regular, flop with it, and deloft/punch. I use a 52 degree for everything inside of 75 yards. I practice on the pitching green at every 10 yards with 15-20 balls and hit balls 1/3 normal, flop and punch then move on to the next distance. You have to develop that feel

That is one way.  Most short game lessons will tell you to use different clubs for different types/distance shots.  

But I can see the allure in this.

First annual neighborhood charity tournament on Monday.  Getting my wedges re-gripped ahead of this, I'm surely going to hit them much better right?

• Hook 'Em 1

I find it more helpful to use the 52/56/60 for their intended advantages than to use one gap for everything. Flopping a 52 is way too hard. When you open the club that much, errant shot percentages increase dramatically. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, huge said:

That is one way.  Most short game lessons will tell you to use different clubs for different types/distance shots.  

But I can see the allure in this.

First annual neighborhood charity tournament on Monday.  Getting my wedges re-gripped ahead of this, I'm surely going to hit them much better right?

Why regrip a wedge? At that point, the upgrade from new grooves is going to be massive. My 18 month old Cleveland zip core 60 vs a new SM9 was night and day. 

Unless you're talking about wedges at the short end of an iron set vs the softer purpose built wedges like an SM9 or Zip Core.

Agreed on your short game approach - same technique, different lofts based on how much carry vs roll I want. A 60 + 50 covers me for everything inside 50 yards. 

Edited by dieucla98

12 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Why regrip a wedge? At that point, the upgrade from new grooves is going to be massive. My 18 month old Cleveland zip core 60 vs a new SM9 was night and day. 

Unless you're talking about wedges at the short end of an iron set vs the softer purpose built wedges like an SM9 or Zip Core.

Agreed on your short game approach - same technique, different lofts based on how much carry vs roll I want. A 60 + 50 covers me for everything inside 50 yards. 

These look and feel great but they get torn up in under a year

https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/superstroke-traxion-wrap-swing-grip-19sututrxnwrpstdbgrp/19sututrxnwrpstdbgrp?sku=19780160&camp=CSE:GGXY_92700080077240822_PLA_aud-1905461777900:pla-2329683124284&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxeyxBhC7ARIsAC7dS395tUCYygzs-ybrYowPQ1c1MxHfLnXzmxgD14fP2w5H6rQvrLt52gMaAoIAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I regripped last year with Golf Pride CPX.  I play without a glove, and they do well with sweat and moisture.  Best grips I've ever had by a wide margin.  Right at a year with them on.  Probably 60 rounds over that timeframe.  Still going strong.  I think I'll get another 6 months out of them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I have been doing golf forever for a few weeks now.  I can’t recommend it enough even though I am just getting started with the program.  Shot a 84 on Friday and 41 on the front 9 today before thunderstorms came through DFW.  I usually hit my drive like 225 and my last drive on hole 9 went 260 which is far for me.  In fact all of my clubs are going further since I am looser and can actually rotate.  Biggest benefit is my back doesn’t hurt after the rounds.   Now off to Rome tomorrow and will play Marco Simone on Friday so hoping to keep hitting the ball the way I have been the last week or so.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/12/2024 at 1:16 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I have been doing golf forever for a few weeks now.  I can’t recommend it enough even though I am just getting started with the program.  Shot a 84 on Friday and 41 on the front 9 today before thunderstorms came through DFW.  I usually hit my drive like 225 and my last drive on hole 9 went 260 which is far for me.  In fact all of my clubs are going further since I am looser and can actually rotate.  Biggest benefit is my back doesn’t hurt after the rounds.   Now off to Rome tomorrow and will play Marco Simone on Friday so hoping to keep hitting the ball the way I have been the last week or so.  

ill google it, but can you explain what you signed up for and how it works ?

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

ill google it, but can you explain what you signed up for and how it works ?

I bought the full package which is this training stick and the resistance bands.  Also bought a foam roller at Walmart since that helps with the exercises.  What I bought came with a free year of the app based training.  You take a quick assessment like for me helping my back was most important basically and then everyday it gives you a new fundamental lesson and a new rotational power lesson.  Lots of stretching, core work and stuff but man it is helping me.  Guy a golf with every weekend is 61 years old and told me about it and he is a good golfer.  Said it added 30 yards to every club after doing it for 6 months.  He drives the ball about 270z. The lessons are done in a specific order to build on one another to specifically help your golf swing and for me protect my back.  It makes sense once you have been doing it for a week or so.  Plus if it’s good enough for Scheffler it’s good enough for me. 

Looking for a new ball marker. Hoping someone in Austin area can grab it if you see it and ship to Florida. I’ll pay, obviously!

Metal so it sticks to standard magnetic marker holders

Two sided with different colors. I like to use one side as main and other side when someone asks me to move it… the color reminds me to move it back

Ideally Horns logos. My last one was white on orange on one side and orange on white for the other.

I’d happily take 2 or 3 as I will inevitably lose one again

When I lived in Austin seemingly every club had these, but of course not here in Florida. Everything I’ve found online is one sided (or lacks pics to show alternative side)

Thanks in advance!

On 5/13/2024 at 5:40 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I bought the full package which is this training stick and the resistance bands.  Also bought a foam roller at Walmart since that helps with the exercises.  What I bought came with a free year of the app based training.  You take a quick assessment like for me helping my back was most important basically and then everyday it gives you a new fundamental lesson and a new rotational power lesson.  Lots of stretching, core work and stuff but man it is helping me.  Guy a golf with every weekend is 61 years old and told me about it and he is a good golfer.  Said it added 30 yards to every club after doing it for 6 months.  He drives the ball about 270z. The lessons are done in a specific order to build on one another to specifically help your golf swing and for me protect my back.  It makes sense once you have been doing it for a week or so.  Plus if it’s good enough for Scheffler it’s good enough for me. 

The foam roller has been a game changer for this guy with back issues. A few minutes in the morning and I’m good to go. If I skip a day I notice.  Not really relevant to the golf thread as I haven’t played in 6 months, but for those of us creeping up the old man ladder, that little $10 thingamajig is worth its weight in gold.  I started using it at the wife’s suggestion, so I act like my back still hurts every now and then so she doesn’t get too cocky, but it’s been a 180.  I’ve been through all of the therapeutic stuff (chiro, acupuncture, etc) but that stupid little foam roller has me right.  To keep it relevant, I feel like I could take a full turn and rip it for the first time in 5 years.

• Hook 'Em 1