2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

Andrew Luck didn’t go 11-5 and Ben R didn’t go 13-3. The teams they played for may have, but that is no measure of the QB. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl as a below average QB because he played in front of the greatest defense in 20 years. That does not change he was a below average QB.

Edited by The Earl of Texas

On 1/25/2024 at 7:54 PM, TonyTexas said:

Falcons hire Raheem Morris. It appears that Slowik is sticking around. 

Hope so... Just saw this

BREAKING: Ben Johnson Says 'No' to Commanders, Remains with Lions

"With Johnson out of the mix, Baltimore Ravens coaches Mike Macdonald and Anthony Weaver, as well as Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn remain candidates for the job. The team could also still hire Houston Texans offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik or promote offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, though those options aren't as likely."

I would let Noah Brown go if he expects a big contract. He was injured throughout the season and is nothing special. His biggest games were due to Collins and Dell drawing the coverages. I would really like to add Mike Evans and Derrick Henry on some short term deals. Then focus the draft on a safety and interior lineman.

Buy low, sell high

Under few circumstances should an up and coming team dedicate finite resources longterm on aging assets.

Agree on Noah Brown. Think Texans are fine at receiver.

Dalton Schultz is a JAG. He also struggled at end of year with hands. It’s frustrating to see teams think guys are tight ends when really they’re just big possession receivers. Want to see a real tight end? watch George Kittle work.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Buy low, sell high

Under few circumstances should an up and coming team dedicate finite resources longterm on aging assets.

Agree on Noah Brown. Think Texans are fine at receiver.

Dalton Schultz is a JAG. He also struggled at end of year with hands. It’s frustrating to see teams think guys are tight ends when really they’re just big possession receivers. Want to see a real tight end? watch George Kittle work.

Schultz is better than a jag

I totally understand Slowik and Johnson’s decisions here. When you’re looking at taking your shot with a team like the Commanders or spending another year working with Stroud and Ryans, then getting another shot the following year it just makes sense. If you flame out with one of those dysfunctional franchises you may never get a second chance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

I totally understand Slowik and Johnson’s decisions here. When you’re looking at taking your shot with a team like the Commanders or spending another year working with Stroud and Ryans, then getting another shot the following year it just makes sense. If you flame out with one of those dysfunctional franchises you may never get a second chance.

The Washington job has a lot going for it; new owner, shitload of cap space, and 3 picks in the top 44 including 2md overall in a good QB draft. Think what the posters above are saying is more likely the case…

• Like 1

The Washington job has a lot going for it; new owner, shitload of cap space, and 3 picks in the top 44 including 2md overall in a good QB draft. Think what the posters above are saying is more likely the case…

I don’t religiously follow the Texans, but I think maybe the OC is staying because it’s ok to have patience. Continued success with Houston with result in future opportunities. Stay until you get the situation you want.

Now off on random tangent.

There’s considerable discussion about replacing QBs or simply how terrible they are with less discussion about how poor their Olines are. You can even take a look at “ disappointing” Trevor Lawrence. Well PFF says his Oline is bottom 6. Seattle, Carolina, Giants, Jets and Titans were worse. Washington is 24 but largely because Cosmi was the #4 Guard. Gates was the #16 C (so barely top half). Andrew Thomas Giants #18 T. Scherff of the Jags #20 Guard. Of all this teams referenced, that’s it for top 20 at the position. So maybe build upfront before determining the QB is the problem.

All that to say, the Ravens pressured Stroud consistently enough to make things very uncomfortable. Chasing a WR is not the solution for that. Then compare to the Chiefs defensive success versus those same Ravens. Protect your passer. Harass your opponents.

Skill guys of Singletary, Pearce, Schultz, Dell, Jordan, Metchie, Collins can be a winner.

The Texans need to get their lines to next level. Murphy is at the top of the list for intriguing draftable players. If you think he’s Aaron Donald, you take him otherwise you build Oline.

I think people are overrating Slowik and Johnson's careers due to this 1 year of success. This is Slowik's first year as an OC, he has no HC experience. He was an analyst at Pro Football Focus for a few years after being let go in Washington in the 2010s. He doesn't have a stacked resume, and I think a lot of teams would be concerned about his age and experience. He's still climbing the ladder of the NFL. He will likely get a shot at a HC job, but probably not for a couple of years, until people can see who is really driving the success of the offense down here. 

This is Jerrod's first big role in an NFL org, he doesn't have any play calling or OC experience. While I'm sure he had an impact on Stroud's success, I can't imagine that 1 year would make a team take a chance on him being an OC.  Maybe in a few years, but he has a very thin resume so far. 

It's definitely worth doing the interviews to see how the process goes, what questions they ask, and to work through the process. I hope that does give them some ideas on what to develop and how to improve their coaching, but it's really early for both of them to move up the ranks. Both are currently in roles that would be considered "prove it" type promotions to see if they can be successful.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I don’t religiously follow the Texans, but I think maybe the OC is staying because it’s ok to have patience. Continued success with Houston with result in future opportunities. Stay until you get the situation you want.

Now off on random tangent.

There’s considerable discussion about replacing QBs or simply how terrible they are with less discussion about how poor their Olines are. You can even take a look at “ disappointing” Trevor Lawrence. Well PFF says his Oline is bottom 6. Seattle, Carolina, Giants, Jets and Titans were worse. Washington is 24 but largely because Cosmi was the #4 Guard. Gates was the #16 C (so barely top half). Andrew Thomas Giants #18 T. Scherff of the Jags #20 Guard. Of all this teams referenced, that’s it for top 20 at the position. So maybe build upfront before determining the QB is the problem.

All that to say, the Ravens pressured Stroud consistently enough to make things very uncomfortable. Chasing a WR is not the solution for that. Then compare to the Chiefs defensive success versus those same Ravens. Protect your passer. Harass your opponents.

Skill guys of Singletary, Pearce, Schultz, Dell, Jordan, Metchie, Collins can be a winner.

The Texans need to get their lines to next level. Murphy is at the top of the list for intriguing draftable players. If you think he’s Aaron Donald, you take him otherwise you build Oline.

Houston had a historically bad run of OL injuries last year. Sure they should sign/draft guys if they make sense in terms of value or draft rating, but sirens aren't going off at the position

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I think people are overrating Slowik and Johnson's careers due to this 1 year of success. This is Slowik's first year as an OC, he has no HC experience. He was an analyst at Pro Football Focus for a few years after being let go in Washington in the 2010s. He doesn't have a stacked resume, and I think a lot of teams would be concerned about his age and experience. He's still climbing the ladder of the NFL. He will likely get a shot at a HC job, but probably not for a couple of years, until people can see who is really driving the success of the offense down here. 

This is Jerrod's first big role in an NFL org, he doesn't have any play calling or OC experience. While I'm sure he had an impact on Stroud's success, I can't imagine that 1 year would make a team take a chance on him being an OC.  Maybe in a few years, but he has a very thin resume so far. 

It's definitely worth doing the interviews to see how the process goes, what questions they ask, and to work through the process. I hope that does give them some ideas on what to develop and how to improve their coaching, but it's really early for both of them to move up the ranks. Both are currently in roles that would be considered "prove it" type promotions to see if they can be successful.  

I disagree on Slowik going forward. This year might have been a year too early, but he's got enough experience and next year would make sense for him to get a HC job in a natural progression, assuming the offense is good again. He was let go from the Commanders... along with Shanahan, McVay, McDaniel, and Lefleur. So what? Kyle rehired him for a reason after Collinsworth brought him on (along with other NFL guys) to help revamp PFF's grading system after Collinsworth bought into the company

Jerrod will probably benefit next year as now being a "Shanahan tree" guy. One of the most popular OC hires every year is the passing game coordinator/QB coach for a Shanahan (or McVay, by extension) offense. Should Houston just promote him to OC if Slowik gets hired away? I prefer they also interview the PGC/QBC of the Rams/49ers/Dolphins/Packers etc first

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/22/2024 at 4:21 PM, Planet Houston said:

Regarding WR, I’m torn other than my opinion we shouldn’t pay Evans $20mm per, which is what it probably takes. That would be ~25-30% of our cap room before resigning any of our guys. But otherwise - on the one hand Stroud probably had the “it” factor to make any jabroni look pretty good, and we have Tank and Nico back. So maybe you get someone like Gabe Davis and call it a day. 

Yeah, Evans isn't worth the money he's going to get. The move that makes the absolute most sense is signing Tee Higgins. You get a WR1 for years to come, and the guy that Burrow would lean on in important games/drives. 

Houston had a historically bad run of OL injuries last year. Sure they should sign/draft guys if they make sense in terms of value or draft rating, but sirens aren't going off at the position

Fair enough. The depth chart looks to have reasonable youth. From an observation perspective, the pressure the Ravens created was noticeable and mostly took Stroud out of his game. With an elite Oline and a top flight QB, you should be able to compete in any game. If a Mike Evans or Coleman was added, I’m not sure that changes things significantly in a game similar to that one. Now maybe a healthy line does. Or an improved one.

I’m skeptical of 1st round DBs. There are likely nice options for offensive skill guys to fit in later rounds or free agency. I’m an increasingly win upfront guy.

18 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Fair enough. The depth chart looks to have reasonable youth. From an observation perspective, the pressure the Ravens created was noticeable and mostly took Stroud out of his game. With an elite Oline and a top flight QB, you should be able to compete in any game. If a Mike Evans or Coleman was added, I’m not sure that changes things significantly in a game similar to that one. Now maybe a healthy line does. Or an improved one.

I’m skeptical of 1st round DBs. There are likely nice options for offensive skill guys to fit in later rounds or free agency. I’m an increasingly win upfront guy.

In the first 100 or so picks, I think you have to draft best player available within reason. You should be trying to land cornerstones more than plugging holes. Ideally you do both at the same time, but if it comes down to drafting the better prospect or filing the better need, you should go with the better player (assuming he's not overly redundant with the current roster to where he doesn't develop properly)

Demeco agrees with those here who are emphasizing building through the offensive and defensive lines. This is a quote from an ESPN article from yesterday. 

"Everything I believe in, it starts up front with the rush and also with the offensive line and protecting," Ryans said. "So, we'll continue to build with our fronts. Start at the front and build backwards, that's how I envision it, and [Greenard] had a really great year."

• Hook 'Em 1

In the first 100 or so picks, I think you have to draft best player available within reason. You should be trying to land cornerstones more than plugging holes. Ideally you do both at the same time, but if it comes down to drafting the better prospect or filing the better need, you should go with the better player (assuming he's not overly redundant with the current roster to where he doesn't develop properly)

Yeah, that’s reasonable. I’m not advocating reaching just to get a position. If you’re convinced a guy is a superstar, you probably need to take him. In the Texans position, I’m not sure many of those exist though. That is somewhat the reason I threw out Murphy. If his strength and quickness translate equally, then you might have a unique player for the next decade as a potential 3 down player that you may be able to move around. That’d make him an option for just about anyone. It’s hard to separate how much that is Texas homerism versus legitimacy though.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

best OL / DL 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fud said:

I disagree on Slowik going forward. This year might have been a year too early, but he's got enough experience and next year would make sense for him to get a HC job in a natural progression, assuming the offense is good again. He was let go from the Commanders... along with Shanahan, McVay, McDaniel, and Lefleur. So what? Kyle rehired him for a reason after Collinsworth brought him on (along with other NFL guys) to help revamp PFF's grading system after Collinsworth bought into the company

Jerrod will probably benefit next year as now being a "Shanahan tree" guy. One of the most popular OC hires every year is the passing game coordinator/QB coach for a Shanahan (or McVay, by extension) offense. Should Houston just promote him to OC if Slowik gets hired away? I prefer they also interview the PGC/QBC of the Rams/49ers/Dolphins/Packers etc first

The PFF stint is unusual, as you don't see many young guys leave coaching for multiple years and then come back. It's not a bad thing, but it's not exactly great that he couldn't find a role during that time. 

Slowik is 36, and all of his 49ers roles were as an assistant. They don't have an OC in SF because Shanahan does the playcalling, but he really hasn't done a whole lot yet. This was the first year he had the reins to do so, and he did great, but 1 year of OC is pretty unusual to get a HC spot. Kevin O'Connell had 3 years as an OC with 2 different teams before taking the Vikings job. He also won a ring with Matt Stafford at QB.  Josh McDaniels had a longer and more decorated resume when he became the Broncos HC at the age of 36. Granted he was the "OC" for Brady and Bellicheck, which is just about the cushiest job you could ask for, but he at least had a few years as an OC and several more as an assistant.  It's pretty uncommon to hire a HC that's in his mid-30s, but they typically have at least a few years as a coordinator before that happens. I think Slowik needs about 1-2 years of success at OC before he jumps, so hopefully wins at least 1 Superb Owl before that happens. 

8 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The PFF stint is unusual, as you don't see many young guys leave coaching for multiple years and then come back. It's not a bad thing, but it's not exactly great that he couldn't find a role during that time. 

Slowik is 36, and all of his 49ers roles were as an assistant. They don't have an OC in SF because Shanahan does the playcalling, but he really hasn't done a whole lot yet. This was the first year he had the reins to do so, and he did great, but 1 year of OC is pretty unusual to get a HC spot. Kevin O'Connell had 3 years as an OC with 2 different teams before taking the Vikings job. He also won a ring with Matt Stafford at QB.  Josh McDaniels had a longer and more decorated resume when he became the Broncos HC at the age of 36. Granted he was the "OC" for Brady and Bellicheck, which is just about the cushiest job you could ask for, but he at least had a few years as an OC and several more as an assistant.  It's pretty uncommon to hire a HC that's in his mid-30s, but they typically have at least a few years as a coordinator before that happens. I think Slowik needs about 1-2 years of success at OC before he jumps, so hopefully wins at least 1 Superb Owl before that happens. 

Him successfully installing an offense away from Shanahan and under a defensive HC counts for a ton, especially considering it was with a rookie QB and an OL that was in shambles for most of the year. I thought this year would have still been early for him, but most of the league thought Tennessee was hiring him. He'll get hired next year as long as he doesn't fall on his face

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah, Evans isn't worth the money he's going to get. The move that makes the absolute most sense is signing Tee Higgins.

That’s fucking comical. What about either one of those guys’ careers makes you think Tee Higgins is anywhere close to the same value as Evans?

Evans has missed eight games in 10 years, the same as Higgins has missed in four. He’s never had less than 67 receptions or less than 1,000 yards receiving, and with the exception of a couple of years under Brady, has played with average at best QBs and drawn double coverage most of his career. Higgins has played with Joe Burrow and has Jamaar Chase on the other side of him, a real #1 receiver.

Whoever it is that throws a fuckton of money at Higgins, and someone will unless he gets franchised, they’ll be sorry…

Edited by Ignatius

Not sure if any of y'all have watched JT O'Sullivan's (@QBschool) all 22 breakdowns of Stroud, they are instructive and really interesting to watch. He clearly is super impressed with Stroud, but praises Slowik and his offense a lot as well. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

That’s fucking comical. What about either one of those guys’ careers makes you think Tee Higgins is anywhere close to the same value as Evans?

Evans has missed eight games in 10 years, the same as Higgins has missed in four. He’s never had less than 67 receptions or less than 1,000 yards receiving, and with the exception of a couple of years under Brady, has played with average at best QBs and drawn double coverage most of his career. Higgins has played with Joe Burrow and has Jamaar Chase on the other side of him, a real #1 receiver.

Whoever it is that throws a fuckton of money at Higgins, and someone will unless he gets franchised, they’ll be sorry…

The only thing I meant about Evans is I think he's too old to pay a fat contract over multiple years. 

Tee will absolutely be a #1 receiver. The way the NFL is trending is towards rosters with multiple excellent receivers. Look at the stats for Chase and Higgins in Cincy's Super Bowl year. You can say Higgins outperformed Chase in the Super Bowl because the Rams were focusing on Chase, but maybe Higgins is who Burrow trusts. 

This was the only real injury year for Higgins. Nobody is going to be sorry for signing Higgins, and him added to the Texans roster would be an insane offense. 

On 1/30/2024 at 6:15 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

Great day for the Texans. 

Demeco probably assured him he would get the OC job once Slowik gets a HC job. He's from Houston so it probably makes sense for him to stay in his home town. Should be a seamless transition for the offense in the next few seasons. Also, if you are a young coach, once you find a QB that is good, ride that pony until you get to where you want to go.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Demeco probably assured him he would get the OC job once Slowik gets a HC job. He's from Houston so it probably makes sense for him to stay in his home town. Should be a seamless transition for the offense in the next few seasons. Also, if you are a young coach, once you find a QB that is good, ride that pony until you get to where you want to go.

Or he didn’t get any OC offers so he’s staying put 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

It's fun that basically all of the Longhorns' elite draft prospects play positions of need for the Texans.

Would be stoked if we ended up with either of the DTs, either of the WRs, Brooks, or Sanders... and all of them could conceivably be early targets given our needs.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It's fun that basically all of the Longhorns' elite draft prospects play positions of need for the Texans.

Would be stoked if we ended up with either of the DTs, either of the WRs, Brooks, or Sanders... and all of them could conceivably be early targets given our needs.

And all six of them should be available at the 23rd pick in the first round.