2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

8 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Could have stayed at 23 and had Brian Thomas instead of Diggs...  Not loving that trade back and swap now.

Ultimate question will be would you rather have Thomas or Diggs AND whoever we take at #42….

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Could have stayed at 23 and had Brian Thomas instead of Diggs...  Not loving that trade back and swap now.

Diggs helps you win more this year, which appears to be a priority 

• Hook 'Em 2

There's four "first rounders" with red flags who went undrafted in Cooper DeJean, Jer'Zhan Newton, Adonai Mitchell, and Kool-Aid McKinstry. Teams might not have some or all of them on their boards at all. I wonder if Houston does? 

There's several centers who I don't think Houston would take, so root for those guys to go off the board early (Jackson Powers-Johnson and Zach Frazier)

Here's DJ's best available 

24    Cooper DeJean
25    Jer'Zhan Newton
27    Adonai Mitchell
28    Kool-Aid McKinstry
29    Edgerrin Cooper
30    Ladd McConkey
32    Ennis Rakestraw Jr
34    Zach Frazier
38    Braden Fiske
41    Payton Wilson
42    Keon Coleman
43    Junior Colson
44    Malachi Corley
45    Marshawn Kneeland

The top guys who visited who are still on the board

Edgerrin Cooper

Ennis Trakestraw Jr

Payton Wilson

Marshawn Kneeland

Kignsley Suamataia

Javon Bullard

Michael Hall Jr

I watched the Bleacher Report livestream coverage with CJ and Micah Parsons for the entire draft. Way better experience than ESPN or NFL network IMO. You get commentary from two current players who are football junkies that provide a refreshing perspective. And there was only 1 analyst giving his thoughts on each pick. 

1. CJ LOVES Ricky Pearsall. Visibly upset when SF took him. Said Pearsall was his 2nd favorite WR in this draft after Marvin Harrison, Jr. 

2. You can tell he wants the Texans to take Michael Hall Jr. 

3. He was understandably very annoyed that KC got Xavier Worthy. 

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

This is the exact type of thinking that leads front offices to choose Treylon Burks over AJ Brown.

I thought last night made our trade down look even better.  Tons of talent at need positions still left.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This is the exact type of thinking that leads front offices to choose Treylon Burks over AJ Brown.

I thought last night made our trade down look even better.  Tons of talent at need positions still left.

Brown was young.  Diggs is old.

50 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I watched the Bleacher Report livestream coverage with CJ and Micah Parsons for the entire draft. Way better experience than ESPN or NFL network IMO. You get commentary from two current players who are football junkies that provide a refreshing perspective. And there was only 1 analyst giving his thoughts on each pick. 

1. CJ LOVES Ricky Pearsall. Visibly upset when SF took him. Said Pearsall was his 2nd favorite WR in this draft after Marvin Harrison, Jr. 

2. You can tell he wants the Texans to take Michael Hall Jr. 

3. He was understandably very annoyed that KC got Xavier Worthy. 

If cj wanted him, the kid can ball !

2 hours ago, Fud said:

There's four "first rounders" with red flags who went undrafted in Cooper DeJean, Jer'Zhan Newton, Adonai Mitchell, and Kool-Aid McKinstry. Teams might not have some or all of them on their boards at all. I wonder if Houston does? 

There's several centers who I don't think Houston would take, so root for those guys to go off the board early (Jackson Powers-Johnson and Zach Frazier)

Here's DJ's best available 

24    Cooper DeJean
25    Jer'Zhan Newton
27    Adonai Mitchell
28    Kool-Aid McKinstry
29    Edgerrin Cooper
30    Ladd McConkey
32    Ennis Rakestraw Jr
34    Zach Frazier
38    Braden Fiske
41    Payton Wilson
42    Keon Coleman
43    Junior Colson
44    Malachi Corley
45    Marshawn Kneeland

The top guys who visited who are still on the board

Edgerrin Cooper

Ennis Trakestraw Jr

Payton Wilson

Marshawn Kneeland

Kignsley Suamataia

Javon Bullard

Michael Hall Jr

Can I hope someone takes Ennis Rakestraw Jr before the Texans pick?

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

These two picking their favorites at each position and talking about how the play will go down is very entertaining. Also it lets you see how smart CJ really is as a QB and play designer, and he's only 22. 

Kid sounds super-sharp. This Oiler fan may have to give a shit about Houston football again

• Hook 'Em 4

If we could give up no more than one of the 4th rounders and end up with DeJean, Newton, or Kool Aid that would be a phenomenal stroke of fortune. Grab the top DT/CB left with the other 2nd rounder, BPA in the 3rd (ideally an interior OL or a S) and that’s a hell of a night….

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

AD to division rival Indy, Worthy to AFC favorite KC and we picked a DB that runs in the 4.6s. I trust Demeco, but would love to be more excited with our next pick. 

Yeah 

13 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

AD to division rival Indy, Worthy to AFC favorite KC and we picked a DB that runs in the 4.6s. I trust Demeco, but would love to be more excited with our next pick. 

I remember everyone bagging on Joe Haden for being too slow.

Looks like DT is off the table for this round; could pick up Lassiter’s teammate Bullard or the guy from Utah to round out the secondary. Couple of well-regarded LBs available also…

Edited by Ignatius

7 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Looks like DT is off the table for this round; could pick up Lassiter’s teammate Bullard or the guy from Utah to round out the secondary. Couple of well-regarded LBs available also

GB picked the S right ahead of us. I’m thinking LB here

6 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

I didn’t want OL early. Looks like Tytus’ time is up.

They just restructured his contract. There would be a pretty big cap hit for the next couple of years. Last year should have taught you that OL depth is crucial.