2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

They still need a Safety, and Justin Simmons is still a free agent.  They really need to get someone like him, because that USC safety shouldn't be starting for a couple years. He's a project like most of the guys in this draft, but it would be nice to get a Probowler for a year or two in the meantime. 

They might need to re-sign Steven Nelson too. He should be cheap at this point, and he's a good option to have as a #3 CB. 

They could probably improve at safety with a free agent, but as is, they do have two start-able players in Ward and Pitre while having a developmental backup now in Bullock 

CB3 is whoever loses between Okudah and Henderson

If they don't spend this money up in free agency in the next couple of months, they'll have ammo for filling in spots as needed due to injuries or players getting cut when rosters get cut down. It's also beneficial to wait until roster cuts in the fall because it doesn't count against the comp formula, which is why some teams (Baltimore in particular) will wait until then to fill in holes 

• Hook 'Em 3

Going back and listening to the Athletic's day to youtube video, Russini said that Houston was calling a lot of teams trying hard to trade back into the first round for who she believes was an offensive player. I'm curious who that was

1 hour ago, Fud said:

It's also beneficial to wait until roster cuts in the fall because it doesn't count against the comp formula, which is why some teams (Baltimore in particular) will wait until then to fill in holes 

That timeframe for compensatory pick purposes used to start with the first day of free agency and end the Tuesday after the draft; not sure if that’s still the case or not…

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Going back and listening to the Athletic's day to youtube video, Russini said that Houston was calling a lot of teams trying hard to trade back into the first round for who she believes was an offensive player. I'm curious who that was

Terrion Arnold is my guess. He’s a corner and a Campbell/Lions type player, so I could see them sticking and picking. 

Pearsall would also be a good guess. CJ loves the guy, but I don’t see DeMeco approving a move up for a WR. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Borrowing this Caserio interview summary from elsewhere (I think it's from McAfee)

Spoiler

Texans GM Nick Caserio in an interview Wednesday said, like a lot of draft information put out there during the process, many reported 30 visits are not accurate. Caserio said sometimes agents put that stuff out there to feign interest in their client, sometimes other teams do so for their own purposes….. and prospects have been known to exaggerate interest. So big fat grain of salt with those going forward. Caserio last year had said 95% of the generally accepted 2023 draft related info about the Texans was flat out wrong, totally fabricated.

Caserio said first round prospects fell as they expected. He made a lot of calls with teams poking around for trades into the first and up in the second, some of it perfunctory and some of real interest. Nothing sticky. He said relative to pick #42, teams in second round were generally unwilling to move back that far in this draft.

Volume of trades relative to number of discussions was very low. (chuckles) Said trades with Howie (Eagles) were easy per usual because he can determine valuation and make decisions quickly [some GMs just can’t pull the trigger, especially new ones <— from me, not Nick]. Nick admitted he’s an agnostic trade hoe, “We’ll talk to anybody: in division, in conference, SB champs, whoever.” If it makes sense, do it. If you can’t work something out, no biggie.

Texans had 14 graded in their top group of prospects. Definitely were specifically targeting a tackle. Can’t be left wanting at OT if injuries bite hard again like last year. At some point Blake [Fisher, OT from Notre Dame] is likely to have to play this year.

Caserio/DeMeco absolutely ask and listen to their players with intel regarding prospects. Not ashamed to admit that. Same as in free agency.

Board fell in 4th round where a few grouped targets went off early, and Nick felt there was a handful of teams targeting Ohio State TE Cade Stover about to come close to picking so he jumped ahead of that group to nab him. [Texans got a few texts from other teams who were about to take Stover.]

On Lassiter, whose ‘official’ pro day 40 was slow [although on scene scouts reported him at 4.51 and 4.53], “No one that evaluated Kamari said he was slow.” Mentioned Logan Ryan, who was also a nickel.

Liked a number of RB in this draft. Inferred while some tested really well and other teams jumped at that, Texans went more with the film and got a guy lower down. No such thing as devalued RB, good football players are good football players.

Calen Bullock is another very young pick. Literally just turned 21, like Fisher and Lassiter. Developmental physically/age wise, high upside, good story getting through some difficult times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Let's be very clear about something: Parsons is 6-3" 250, runs a sub-4.4 and has a 35" vertical. 

Very few humans have existed who are on his level physically.

If he stepped onto an NBA court against a team of 6-7"+ skilled defenders, he would get smothered without mercy.

He would get a few buckets I think, but wouldn't get close to 20 once, much less on average.

Stroud's side here is on point.

On 4/30/2024 at 12:27 PM, billfromlaketravis said:
On 4/30/2024 at 10:20 AM, Fud said:

Terrion Arnold is my guess. He’s a corner and a Campbell/Lions type player, so I could see them sticking and picking. 

Pearsall would also be a good guess. CJ loves the guy, but I don’t see DeMeco approving a move up for a WR. 

Ha, ha

6 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Let's be very clear about something: Parsons is 6-3" 250, runs a sub-4.4 and has a 35" vertical. 

Very few humans have existed who are on his level physically.

If he stepped onto an NBA court against a team of 6-7"+ skilled defenders, he would get smothered without mercy.

He would get a few buckets I think, but wouldn't get close to 20 once, much less on average.

Stroud's side here is on point.

In the modern era (i.e. since I was ‘young’), Antonio Gates is probably the best college basketball player to ever play in the NFL, and he only averaged 16PPG at Kent State. Fuckin’ Micah Parsons is trippin’ more than Kevin who thinks he’d win a fight with a chimp…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

In the modern era (i.e. since I was ‘young’), Antonio Gates is probably the best college basketball player to ever play in the NFL, and he only averaged 16PPG at Kent State. Fuckin’ Micah Parsons is trippin’ more than Kevin who thinks he’d win a fight with a chimp…

Tony Gonzalez was pretty good too.

• Hook 'Em 2

Says what we all think. Wearing that htown blue skirt isn't by accident. I honestly can't say enough nice, kind words about Cal and her. Great people , great kids. They do so much to help others that goes under the radar.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Says what we all think. Wearing that htown blue skirt isn't by accident. I honestly can't say enough nice, kind words about Cal and her. Great people , great kids. They do so much to help others that goes under the radar.

That's a family tradition.  Bob McNair was a prince of a human who was very, very charitable.  Much of it under the radar.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Best guess is he missed the Kirby exit off of 59 North. The next exit is Greenbriar and it’s always backed up. That’s an easy 17 minute detour. 

Haven’t live in H-town since 1999 but that route was a clustefuck back then; hard to imagine it isn’t considerably worse now…

On 4/26/2024 at 9:28 PM, msbesq said:

John Harris said that he likes Fisher better than Alt.

In college Big Fish actually started at LT his freshman year before getting injured early. While he was out Alt took over and locked the position down with Fisher moving to RT. Fisher wasn't quite as quick as Alt, but he's a meaner run blocker and still decent in pass protection. Fisher was the better prospect coming out of high school, but a lot of scouts missed on Alt.

Edited by ulukinatme

On 5/9/2024 at 1:01 PM, Dutchrudder said:

Haha, I love JJ, he's a good dude. I still hope we see him in a Texans uniform one more time.

You and others are why 610 has spent every waking hour talking about this for 2 weeks and counting. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You and others are why 610 has spent every waking hour talking about this for 2 weeks and counting. 

Well I don't listen to sports radio, so not my fault. I don't think it will happen, except for maybe a single play ceremonial thing for his retirement. I could also see him becoming a coach at some point, I think it would be awesome if they could add him to Demecos staff.

Wednesday game so I guess the previous week will be a bye even though it’s awfully late in the season for one. Maybe it will be a Thursday or Saturday game. At least it will be broadcast locally for the non-Netflixers 

Edited by TonyTexas

14 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Wednesday game so I guess the previous week will be a bye even though it’s awfully late in the season for one. Maybe it will be a Thursday or Saturday game.

Edit: They play the Chiefs on Saturday, December 21. Tough stretch towards the end of the season. 

Edited by TonyTexas