HBO's God Save Texas

TexPx

1 hour ago, TexPx said:

Sounds interesting.

‘God Save Texas' Richard Linklater Leads Powerfully Personal HBO Docuseries About the Lone Star State’

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/god-save-texas-review-richard-linklater-leads-powerfully-personal-hbo-docuseries-about-the-lone-star-state/ar-BB1hdhLV

I’ve had Wright’s book sitting by the bedside collecting dust (ever since finishing Harrington’s A Big Wonderful Thing several months ago).
Good push to pick it up and finally read it.

Edited by UTexasFight

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I’ve had Wright’s book sitting by the bedside collecting dust (ever since finishing Harrington’s A Big Wonderful Thing several months ago).
Good push to pick it up and finally read it.

Haha same. I grew tired of the maid missing the same place over and over again. So I finally put it up on the book shelf. As always, I'll wait for the movie before deciding to finish it. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Haha same. I grew tired of the maid missing the same place over and over again. So I finally put it up on the book shelf. As always, I'll wait for the movie before deciding to finish it. 

I see we have good taste in nicknames for our significant other 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Stringer said:

Love Lawrence Wright and the book. It’s a great read. I’ll definitely tune into the series.

The book is great. I love that scene where G.H.W. Bush and Barbara decide to go eat at some swanky restaurant in Houston.  The Secret Service goes in first to clear out any guns that may be there among the patrons and all these blue-haired, old, River Oaks ladies are forced to reach into their purses and hand over their pistols. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

The book is great. I love that scene where G.H.W. Bush and Barbara decide to go eat at some swanky restaurant in Houston.  The Secret Service goes in first to clear out any guns that may be there among the patrons and all these blue-haired, old, River Oaks ladies are forced to reach into their purses and hand over their pistols. 

What restaurant? I know they liked The Palm, the old location on Westheimer. 

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What restaurant? I know they liked The Palm, the old location on Westheimer. 

I don't think Lawrence Wright mentioned the name of the restaurant, but it's been about six years since I read it.  I've got it but it's at my studio about 50 miles from where I am currently.

I could of sworn I read the book, but the River Oaks story doesn't ring a bell. I know I read at least part of it. Remember some story about bikers cycling across the country for some cause and the rough and tumble Panhandle folks at the diner throwing money in the hat.

Larry Wright, Stephen Harrigan, and Richard Linklater are absolute Lone Star Treasures and don't get enough appreciation of their storytelling craft.  Well, I guess a Pulitzer for Larry does, but otherwise...

They come around UT and TBF all the time and I love every time I get to interact with them.  I'm not from here, but each and every time I hear them speak or read what they write about Texas...it's like I've always know this place and its past.  I imagine it's what it must have been like for people who knew McMurtry or just saw him writing at the Marimont Cafeteria.  Through fiction, non-fiction, and cinema---these folks just weave a tale through the centuries, curators of the stories that bind---and separate---us.  And  they all three take it very, very serious and to the point of being nearly consumed by it.   Can't wait to watch this Docuseries on HBO.  

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I could of sworn I read the book, but the River Oaks story doesn't ring a bell. I know I read at least part of it. Remember some story about bikers cycling across the country for some cause and the rough and tumble Panhandle folks at the diner throwing money in the hat.

*could have

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

giphy.gif

tumblr_mgh88yA7AC1s36d7vo1_500.gif

Edited by Davis Lane

14 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I don't think Lawrence Wright mentioned the name of the restaurant, but it's been about six years since I read it.  I've got it but it's at my studio about 50 miles from where I am currently.

Ouisie's or Confederate House, imo

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haven’t watched but I’m about 3/4 through the book and while it isn’t narratively linear like I’d hoped it feels like a series of great insights and snippets from someone who loves Texas but is objective and, obviously, very smart. He gets it and wishes “it” wasn’t so bad in the state and is it’s a well crafted perspective on the ways and degrees that/to which Texas is a national political barometer.

PS - god help us.