Texas High school basketball

Rockethorn1978

Didn’t see a thread so merge if there is one.

went to the Plano East vs highland park game tonight and damn is Plano East good or what. Highland park has some size and East made them look completely average. 35-0 now and plays Allen Tuesday I believe. State of Texas has some great basketball. 6a is loaded and I know in Houston you have stony point and one of the fort bend schools has both Hakeem Olajuwon boys on it. I love this time of year.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Stony point is in Round Rock. Just got back from Lake Travis v. New Braunfels. 5’7 v 6’6 didn’t go well for NB. 

Yea sorry I meant down south not just Houston. Everything is south of me being in Dallas haha. 

Allen vs Plano East is gonna be good Tuesday. 

my old HS asst coach was a huge piece of shit who spent way more time hitting on freshman girls than he ever did coaching. hes short, he’s fat, and i don’t think he ever played basketball in his life. he's also a very loud, angry man. naturally he got promoted to HC when mike murphy retired like a decade ago. pretty sure the promoted assistant (David “they shouldn’t allow me around children” Raigosa) has about a .300 win % since taking over from mike murphy who used to go 13-1 every year in one of the tougher districts in Texas at the time. that’s pflugerville though- once you’re hired you pretty much have to slug a kid to lose your job, and even then it depends on which kid it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

SA Brennan Boys return 4 of 5 starters and most of the bench from last years State Tournament team.  Cruising in playoffs right now.  They had to get through Stony Point last year to make the Tournament so it looks like that might be lining up again.  

Brennan Girls just beat defending champs Clark to advance to the Tournament. 

On 2/24/2024 at 9:55 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

The metroplex is so dominant in Texas High School it's not even funny. Wylie East just beat Duncanville last night. 

Wylie East had a couple of kids out during district so the overall record doesn’t look that great. They had a kid drop a 30 point triple double against duncanville. They are the real deal.

when i was in HS stony point was alright, but pflugerville and mcneil were the big powers in centex, really the only two schools that were regularly state ranked. i know that since then westlake has become the best program in the area, but it sounds like stony point has a really good program now too? anybody else from centex making any noise? 

On 2/24/2024 at 2:24 PM, shadow_operative said:

my old HS asst coach was a huge piece of shit who spent way more time hitting on freshman girls than he ever did coaching. hes short, he’s fat, and i don’t think he ever played basketball in his life. he's also a very loud, angry man. naturally he got promoted to HC when mike murphy retired like a decade ago. pretty sure the promoted assistant (David “they shouldn’t allow me around children” Raigosa) has about a .300 win % since taking over from mike murphy who used to go 13-1 every year in one of the tougher districts in Texas at the time. that’s pflugerville though- once you’re hired you pretty much have to slug a kid to lose your job, and even then it depends on which kid it is.

Jr hated Murphy and like the big ragu. 

19 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Jr hated Murphy and like the big ragu. 

it do be that way. one of my best friends loves raigosa. but that’s the thing- riagosa has “his guys”, and if you’re one of his guys then life is awesome. if you aren’t, he’ll go out of his way to fuck with you and make practice/life miserable for you. he actually put his hands on me and another teammate, and my teammate swung on raigosa and nearly knocked him out. 👀 he was real unprofessional like that.

now murphy could be very “bottom line” and business like, but he didn’t have such an extreme view of his players like raigosa. that’s not to say that he didn’t also have “his guys”. we had several guys who should have had big roles on the team who essentially never played because they weren’t one of Murph’s guys. but thats pville athletics in a nutshell for you. 

Edited by shadow_operative

9 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Wylie East had a couple of kids out during district so the overall record doesn’t look that great. They had a kid drop a 30 point triple double against duncanville. They are the real deal.

Wow. The Wylie East Coyotes have come a long way. 

Fort Bend Clements is undefeated and has the Akeem brothers plus a seven footer who is 195 lbs. 

Been watching a few games on NFHS.   Just wish more schools down there would install cameras.  Every school up here has one.  I also wish the schools down south that do have stream live games would mount their damn cameras above the crowd.  This was my view for the entire 4th quarter this past weekend trying to watch the Winnsboro-Edgewood girls' playoff game.

428633655_10233801306797012_6875830409846351461_n.thumb.jpg.33b1c52f9f7277e88dd7edcf9f3e2e69.jpg

• Rage+1 1

Brennan takes 2 point lead with 10 seconds left. SP fouls. Brennan makes 1 of 2. Brennan has foul to give and does so. SP has inbound with 3.3. Brennan leaves player wide open on far side. Pass across the court for a 3 point win at buzzer. Brennan missed a shit load of free throws. I am sad… I’m guess SP easily wins tomorrow and advances to State.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

Brennan takes 2 point lead with 10 seconds left. SP fouls. Brennan makes 1 of 2. Brennan has foul to give and does so. SP has inbound with 3.3. Brennan leaves player wide open on far side. Pass across the court for a 3 point win at buzzer.

1078yq.gif

• Haha 3

Texas basketball playoffs doesn’t get enough love. Gonna head out to ft worth to watch Keller/plano East today.

side note. Austin st Michaels got upset by midland Christian in the state semis. MASSIVE upset given st Michaels is heads above an anything in tapps and have beaten a ton of 5/6a uil schools. Must have had their heads up the ass thinking they will coast in tapps. Ogden kid plays for st Michaels too fyi 

So apparently Vince Carter - Vince Carter? - posted a message to social media saying he'd hate to be an O'Connor Panther (and having to play Lake Travis yesterday). 

Good job Vince, LT's season is over. 

vince-carter-its-over.gif

32 minutes ago, miguelito said:

So apparently Vince Carter - Vince Carter? - posted a message to social media saying he'd hate to be an O'Connor Panther (and having to play Lake Travis yesterday). 

Good job Vince, LT's season is over. 

vince-carter-its-over.gif

Hahaha he thought he was making a for sure prediction. Backfired. 

So O'Connor's dream season ended to Stony Point Saturday.  That Moseley guy for SP was playing on a different level.  He's big and fast and can shoot from anywhere, effortlessly.  No real shame in losing to them.

I have kin on O'Connor's team, so I'm biased, but the refs were really bad on Saturday - not that it affected the outcome, to be clear.  But there was an obvious 2-point shot called as a 3, missed blatant traveling calls, inconsistent foul calls.  There was an over and back violation that was right in front of one of the refs.  He didn't call it, so the ref on the other side of the court had to call it.

I know that's all pretty standard, and you just hope the calls even out, but I was curious what any 'neutral' observers thought.

/sour grapes maybe, and I haven't watched much high school basketball until this year.

How does Vince Carter know anything about Texas high school bball?
Is he covering the area or something?  He's not from around here and didn't go to school in TX either.

Is NFHS the only way to watch the playoff games?
I'm wanting to watch Stony Point, the school local to me.
They've got a 6'6" 4 star PF who's signed with Villanova.

I hate state being held in the Alamodome. These kids play in small gym except a few bigger schools then you play in a massive cave and they wonder why teams can’t shoot. The biggest stage and you get shitty shooting games. I bet coaches hate it. 

Followed SP last season and went to 2 playoff games - haven't been keeping up and just saw their buzzer beater over Brennan. 

State semifinals tonight - they play at 8:30 - assuming East plays at like 6:00?

Anybody have a scouting report of RRSP? I went to East, but don't follow their basketball team. Been aware of their undefeated season about a month ago, but was surprised that it is still intact as that is not the season end goal. Now it is. East does not seem imposing except for the junior big man. They just play great team ball?

Saw some highlights of Plano East for the first time. Pretty unique how ethnically diverse their roster is. Apparently most of them went to the same middle school and have been playing together since they were kids. They’re the story of the year so far, no one’s gone undefeated at the highest class in almost 20 years.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Saw some highlights of Plano East for the first time. Pretty unique how ethnically diverse their roster is. Apparently most of them went to the same middle school and have been playing together since they were kids. They’re the story of the year so far, no one’s gone undefeated at the highest class in almost 20 years.

well when you have 5,000+ kids to choose from that tends to make tour athletics teams pretty competitive. my HS had 2,100 kids and was a 5A school when that was the top division in Texas. these plano and allen schools are a joke.

in contrast, stony point draws their kids from a lower middle class neighborhood off of Sunrise Drive in round rock. that’s a shitty area. not south oak cliff shitty, but still shitty nonetheless. neutrals gotta be rooting for SP in this one.

Edited by shadow_operative

There's no shot clock in high school basketball?!? WTF? Are jump shots legal? Do they use nylon nets or peach baskets? I assume that the only type of shorts allowed are nut huggers.

I clearly don't follow HS ball, but Go Stony Point! I started off my teaching career at one of the middle schools that feeds into SPHS.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...