Tourney talk

shadow_operative

Posted (edited)

ok i’m rooting for dayton now. more specifically i’m rooting against VCU, because they deserve to lose.

VCU rebounds the ball with 10 seconds left in a tie game, doesn’t call TO. guard gets the ball, *never considers getting to the rim* and instead goes to take a pull up three. the defender closes out, so VCU guard head fakes and gets the defender in the air. VCU guard, who now has a clear path to the rim, takes one dribble inside the 3 point line, ignores all of the open real estate in front of him, and does a james harden step back fade away three with nobody on him, and predictably bricks the shit out of it. that shit drives me fucking nuts. inexcusable.

Edited by shadow_operative

10 minutes ago, MrX said:

Best time of the year. Love the little conference tourneys. 

such a nice contrast to the dregs of the nba season where most of he players can’t be bothered to even give a shit most nights. everything is on the line in these games. nothing like an underdog winning a title and stealing a bid from a bubble team (like a&m lol) in the process. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah NBA getting good now because there are some tight playoff races and a lot of the bottom feeders don’t control their own picks so they still have to play hard.

But nothing beats a 16-14 team making a run through a conference tourney in a 1500 person gym. 

Lunardi's impact games for today: 

Win today and in: TCU and OU (winner in, loser out)
Out without this win: aggy (versus Ole Miss)
Win and then win again: KSU (we can bury them today with a win)

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, MrX said:

Yeah NBA getting good now because there are some tight playoff races and a lot of the bottom feeders don’t control their own picks so they still have to play hard.

But nothing beats a 16-14 team making a run through a conference tourney in a 1500 person gym. 

Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF

To me there's something awesome about seeing a Wagner go up against Duke.

No sarcasm - just talking games for this week. Agreed that the 12/5 and 13/4 matchups the first two days of the NCAAs are what college basketball is all about. 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So we locked in at a 8/9? If we end up a 10 I’ll be pissed but not surprised at the committee doing something like that. 

I think we end up 8 or 9

10 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

Weren’t some folks advocating for Musselman to be our head coach? Maybe this year is a blip, but what a fucking disaster they are.

Derka loved him at Nevada. I’d wait and see if this is just a blip

Posted (edited)

yeah i wanted him to replace shaka since before we’d even played them and blown that huge lead in embarrassing fashion in the tourney. his style of play is so fun to watch and he’s a renowned talent developer. but this situation at arkansas has defintely given me pause. really weird dynamic going on up there in fayattenam. plus he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea with his energy and animated nature. but people tend to get over that when you win, and i’m sure people here would have too had we hired him 3-4 years ago.

Edited by shadow_operative

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

The benefit of hindsight notwithstanding, I wonder if Tech fans would prefer Beard over McCasland today.

Dude, are you serious? Beard took us to an elite 8, and within seconds of a national championship. He got Ole Miss ranked for the first time in like 5 years. Sure they are losing to ayeneum, but he wouldn’t be starting fresh at Tech. He probably would’ve been the best coach in Texas men’s NCCA basketball had he not run up to that plainview McD’s. 

• Haha 1

Hope the Johnnies make the tourney now that they beat Seton Hall. A couple of UConn fans came through where I work when they came here to play and they thought Pitino had them playing hard and that they were going to be good. The Garden is going to be a really awesome place to be tonight with NYC’s favorite college team taking on UConn again. If I wasn’t working I’d go down the street to watch it. 

15 hours ago, Satchel said:

The benefit of hindsight notwithstanding, I wonder if Tech fans would prefer Beard over McCasland today.

I would honestly prefer McCasland today. Ask me 4 years ago and it's obviously Beard. But, Grant is clearly a very good coach and does not seem to have the immense amount of personal baggage Beard carries around.

13 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I would honestly prefer McCasland today. Ask me 4 years ago and it's obviously Beard. But, Grant is clearly a very good coach and does not seem to have the immense amount of personal baggage Beard carries around.

I see McCasland being like James Dickey, a couple SS, and getting into the tourney more years than not, but not much more. Great for a mid major like Tech, but not elite. 

13 hours ago, Tommy Shelby said:

I see McCasland being like James Dickey, a couple SS, and getting into the tourney more years than not, but not much more. Great for a mid major like Tech, but not elite. 

If he can recruit the portal well and tech supports him, McCasland might win a B12 championship at some point.  He definitely gets his guys to play tough...  

• Pancho locked this topic