SXSW 2024

4th&Five

feel like more and more places are doing the all day thing where they don't announce the set times until the day before (hotel vegas, radio east, far out lounge, etc.). i'm more into hopping around different places than sitting in one spot all day. not many bands that i'm familiar with this year but have found a few that sound promising. 

I’m friends with and played off and on for a long time with some of the English Teeth. The guests for their set covering the Replacements you will not want to miss. (I don’t think I’m supposed to say who, but trust me).

3 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

I’m friends with and played off and on for a long time with some of the English Teeth. The guests for their set covering the Replacements you will not want to miss. (I don’t think I’m supposed to say who, but trust me).

Well shit, I think that deserves a private message of sorts.

8 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Lord Friday The 13th letting their freak flag fly at Hotel Vegas Anniversary show. Not really sxsw but I always associate it with the start.

IMG_20240307_151742711.jpg

How were they?  Just off the picture I'd be a pass.  They look like they are trying too hard to be weird.

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

How were they?  Just off the picture I'd be a pass.  They look like they are trying too hard to be weird.

Oh they got weirder. They were fun. Musically pretty much punk rock. One of those bands that put on a physical sweat of a show but with a campy glam sense of humor. Chatted with them after about the Sun Studio tour in Memphis that they had gone on. Nice kids. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, stc said:

y'all got anything better than the chronicle's list of day parties? feel like there used to be a bunch of websites that listed the day shows but now it's pretty much just the chronicle. 

https://www.austinchronicle.com/sxsw/unofficial/

That’s the one I’m using. Think I’m gonna hit this show on Thursday night after the day show at C-Boys. 

IMG_2558.jpeg

My dad band played a day gig at Sahara Lounge this afternoon.  The audience seemed to be mostly middle-aged lesbians, a few confused Black regulars who were like "wtf are these old white spares doing playing garage rock in our bar?" and some lawyer who thought we were worthy of a record deal but who doesn't run a record label.

Austin, never change.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My dad band played a day gig at Sahara Lounge this afternoon.  The audience seemed to be mostly middle-aged lesbians, a few confused Black regulars who were like "wtf are these old white spares doing playing garage rock in our bar?" and some lawyer who thought we were worthy of a record deal but who doesn't run a record label.

Austin, never change.

That’s hilarious. I almost went to this actually, would’ve been another old white lawyer, but work unfortunately intervened. Looks like a pretty cool dive bar. 

Posted (edited)

Well normally I would have a massive plan of attack to post for you guys, but I am taking care of my Dad right now, and that has thrown a big monkey wrench into things.  HOWEVER!!!  I give a huge thumbs up to heading to South Congress and bouncing back and forth between Continental Club, South by San Jose, and the SOCO Stomp at C-Boys.  

Tues - Kicking things off by heading to Continental Club for the Latinpoluzza for a show or two, then C-boys early to grub on some free crawfish and Zydeco Music at Lafayette Live 

Wed-  gonna try to catch Jimmy Jazz's Daughter's band Die Spitz for a rare early show at the Parish, 2:20 was start time I saw. Then likely the soco drift around.

Thurs-  Drift around until Chuck Prophet at C-boys

Fri, Early C-boys with West Texas Exiles and Tommy Stinson,  Alejandro Escovedo would be great (think he's to SXSJ Saturday?) 

Sat, likely not much beyond early shows, and a try for English Teeth depending on the crowd.

Might go see Restos at C-boys Sunday at 1 pm as the Early Sudnay shit can be good as the kids have been partied out of attending

23 hours ago, stc said:

y'all got anything better than the chronicle's list of day parties? feel like there used to be a bunch of websites that listed the day shows but now it's pretty much just the chronicle. 

https://www.austinchronicle.com/sxsw/unofficial/

The calendars at C-Boys and Continental Club have ACCURATE times listed for the free day shows, so there's that.  One "pro tip" is to cross reference with DO512.com in that you can search their site more effectively for times.  They try to put up accurate times, but they are NOT always accurate.  One of the best features they have is that you can click on a band name and see where else they are playing.  I religiously use Do512 as a cross reference against the Austin Chron lists to narrow down the times. I also like that you can search by "start time" for the time events start.  SXSJ times always seem to drift in the early day and tighten up come evening, and you generally don't know accurate times until you can take a picture of the listing at the front of the venue, unfortunately.

But get out there "kids!"  I call South Congress daytime the early in the week shows 'old people spring break' but nice to drift early before stuff gets too crowded to move from venue to venue easily.  And toss a dollar or two into any bands tip jar, and take care of those bartenders and waitresses!!!

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Not sure what is considered officially SXSW anymore.  Luck Reunion is the same week, so I'm adding it here.

spacer.png

I will be here. Anyone else going or wanna meet up? I plan on getting completely shithoused. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Any good places to catch shows with a teenager? It's Spring Break and my fifteen-year old wants to go this year. 

All of the South by San Jose shows are all ages shows.  You might look at pairing SXSJ with one of the outdoor Auditorium Shores Shows.  The Chronicle usually highlights all ages shows.  I would think that the shows at Guero's might also be all ages.  If nothing else waiting for an outdoor table at Hopdoddy or Guero's and just people watching would be fun with your kid.  But SXSJ is likely where I could be looking at.  There are usually free shows at the YETI store as well.

I would also say try to go Wednesday or Thurs rather than fighting the weekend crowds, if you can work that out. 

Wednesday lineup at Auditorium shores is a "Steamboat 1864" tribute with a decent daytime lineup.  Free all ages shows at Auditorium Shores

• Joe “King” Carrasco - 3 p.m.
  • Patrice Pike & Friends - 3:45 p.m.
  • Ian Moore - 4:30 p.m.
  • Vallejo - 5:25 p.m.
  • Bob Schneider - 6:30 p.m.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Wednesday lineup at Auditorium shores is a "Steamboat 1864" tribute with a decent daytime lineup.  Free all ages shows at Auditorium Shores

I should have said "decent" in meaning... if you are an old fart....

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, stc said:

found this, it has a decent list and is sligtly easier to navigate than the chronicle website. 

https://sidebysideshows.com/

Love this link!  Mainly as it's got an easy map to view!!! Hell I wasn't even looking to do anything today, and the list tempted me at Hotel Vegas just to go see A Giant Dog at 4 pm.

On 3/6/2024 at 10:45 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Jeez, I want to go every day, but there is no way I can pull that off.  I think I'll focus on Tommy Stinson (Replacements, G'n'R) and Scrappy Jud.

image.thumb.png.3dab54e03de1bc9e2c09d5c517d907e5.png

I think we are going to hit this place up on Friday.  

5 hours ago, horn4life said:

All of the South by San Jose shows are all ages shows.  You might look at pairing SXSJ with one of the outdoor Auditorium Shores Shows.  The Chronicle usually highlights all ages shows.  I would think that the shows at Guero's might also be all ages.  If nothing else waiting for an outdoor table at Hopdoddy or Guero's and just people watching would be fun with your kid.  But SXSJ is likely where I could be looking at.  There are usually free shows at the YETI store as well.

I would also say try to go Wednesday or Thurs rather than fighting the weekend crowds, if you can work that out. 

They should have gotten Dale Dudley to MC. 

• Haha 1

Outside stage at C-Boys SOCO Stomp is all ages for those of you with underage kids.  Only think that is sort of pissing me off is that South by San Jose, still does not have a daily artist nor time slots published that I can find. Anybody else find it somewhere?

44 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Outside stage at C-Boys SOCO Stomp is all ages for those of you with underage kids.  Only think that is sort of pissing me off is that South by San Jose, still does not have a daily artist nor time slots published that I can find. Anybody else find it somewhere?

They post the lineup/schedule the day of on the Hotel San Jose Instagram page as a story. They posted todays lineup earlier this morning. 

6 hours ago, horn4life said:

IMG_5745.png

Well bounced back and forth yesterday between C-Boys, Continental and SXSJ (to lesser extent) and found one jewel among the unknowns.  A band from the Netherlands called "The Vices."  Played indoors opposite Tameca Jones at the SOCO stomp.  Interesting use of the loops/synth with some rock n roll.    I popped in the earplugs and stepped right up front, and they kicked ass.  The kid leading the band showed off his guitar chops toward the end of the show and the kid could rip, even by Austin standards of quality.  But he used the "less is more" on the riffs, which made them stand out more.  Anyhow I saw they only play two more official shows, so you will only catch them with a wrist band.  Tameca Jones was solid as always, and Michigander was good too.  

Weather will likely come into play today, but it's Texas and might rain for 2 minutes, so I cannot be stopped!   Need to make a real plan today.

2024SXSJ.thumb.jpeg.6b4e54e544b53a739021d517617ec2e5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Caught another gem yesterday indoors at C-boys with Charlie Sexton stepping up joining Eve Monsees heading the Mystic Knights of the Sea indoors at C-Boys.  Hadn't see Charlie that close up in a while, I forgot that his hands are like someone blended him with E.T. with his reaches.

Chuck Prophet and the Mission Express put on a great show, and damned if Ray Wylie Hubbard didn't put on the best show I have ever seen him play, and I think I have seen him at least 8 times in the last decade.  He kept joking that he needed to bring it after following Chuck Prophet, and damned if he didn't!  

I missed them as I was inside watching Charlie Sexton but folks were raving about Angelo Moore and the Brand New Step so a shout out the them just based on the buzz of other folks tossing accolades the Moore and Company.  

Walked down and saw a few minutes of Shannon and the Clams and they were certainly fun, but after three days and 10,000 steps a day, I just wanted to go back up North to Eldorado cafe for a Rita and some flan to talk about the day with the wife.  Good times as always, and it's funny how my sweet wife goes down just to make me happy. As she hates the crowds and close quarters, and rarely is a goof like me standing at the center front of the stage.

ALSO P.S.A. - If you have not invested in a pair of good noise reducing ear buds, please take the time to get some.  I spent years leaving concerts or nights after working at Club Foot with my ears ringing in the morning.  So I love to get close where it's loud, but I love my ear buds that still allow the music through, but simply not at an (actually) deafening level.  Anyhow just my two cents.

Today probably camping at C-Boys and hoping that the biggest of the storms were the ones that woke me up and hour ago.  Have fun and tip your bartenders and waitresses. And if you are old non-drinker and you are taking a premium table, and not giving your waitress some cash every so often... shame on you!  You are literally taking food off their table.  Just reach in your fucking pocket and give back, and remember when you were young and needed those tips!  In other words don't be a fucking asshole!

Have fun out there and watch the traffic not to get run down!

• Hook 'Em 4

The Luck Reunion was really cool.   I caught Rett Madison, Madi Diaz, Old Crow Medison Show, Tyler Childress, the Toadies, and of course Willie.

Met @immamac and his wife.  People were great for a large crowd in a small area. 

Will definitely go again.   Great to see Willie again - this time with a surprise guest.

20240314_114755.thumb.jpg.f0b14c71906cb17515d39b925ed5ced4.jpg20240314_162601.thumb.jpg.73d90a417ab19d38f0c5ca30269eb7b8.jpg20240314_132944.thumb.jpg.62df47061ad34e28736b9d9bfcc4be3a.jpg20240314_221859.thumb.jpg.1cde647c3fb19f856efe4777fcec0d56.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

In middle/highschool we would sneak onto Willie's set at night and look through the buildings. I've been gone from Austin for 12 years now- I had no idea they made it a concert venue.

Edited by smuggs

Bounced around to different places on the east side yesterday. Significantly fewer people than previous years but that's cool with me. Local band Moon Kill was the best new discovery of the day, gave me Kyuss vibes. Fat Dog was pretty fun. Daikaiju is always entertaining. 111924de40b2782531bdb96350843c78.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Had some health issues this week so haven’t made it out much like I wanted to. Did make it down to SXSJ for a bit yesterday. Saw part of cumgirl8’s set. Not that musically impressive but they were an eyeful for sure - felt like I was at a strip club. 

My fun discovery was Native Sun out of NYC at Radio East this afternoon. Rowdy grunge/punk rock and roll and a lot of fun. 

IMG_2613.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3