2024 NFL free agency/off season thread

closetohumping

You guys trashing Goff are warped by the Rams dumping him several years ago.  He’s statistically been a top 5 QB for the Lions the past 2 years, he would have gotten them to the Super Bowl last year had Josh Reynolds not dropped two perfect passes, he fits the offense likes a glove, and the team, city and fans love him.  He’s still young but experienced with proven resilience.

This was another masterful signing by Brad Holmes. By the time the season rolls around he’ll be around the 10th highest paid QB, not the second highest.

and no I’m not Goff’s Dad, Uncle, or Boyfriend!

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Minute Bull said:

You guys trashing Goff are warped by the Rams dumping him several years ago.  He’s statistically been a top 5 QB for the Lions the past 2 years, he would have gotten them to the Super Bowl last year had Josh Reynolds not dropped two perfect passes, he fits the offense likes a glove, and the team, city and fans love him.  He’s still young but experienced with proven resilience.

This was another masterful signing by Brad Holmes. By the time the season rolls around he’ll be around the 10th highest paid QB, not the second highest.

and no I’m not Goff’s Dad, Uncle, or Boyfriend!

I like Goff and agree with Detroit on resigning him. I asked who they thought they were bidding against and if they could’ve got the deal done for closer to the $45/year that Cousins just got, or $33/year that Baker Mayfield just signed (yes, Goff > Baker). They probably spent an extra $10/year that they could’ve used elsewhere at OL, DL, DB. They just spent a lot on WR.

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I like Goff and agree with Detroit on resigning him. I asked who they thought they were bidding against and if they could’ve got the deal done for closer to the $45/year that Cousins just got, or $33/year that Baker Mayfield just signed (yes, Goff > Baker). They probably spent an extra $10/year that they could’ve used elsewhere at OL, DL, DB. They just spent a lot on WR.

Goff is better than both the QBs you've listed....so the money is right where it should be I think. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

They were bidding against him signing a deal or not and eventually becoming a free agent. If Kirk Cousins and his torn Achilles tendon can get 100M guaranteed, what do you think Goff would receive on the open market by a desperate team? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

They were bidding against him signing a deal or not and eventually becoming a free agent. If Kirk Cousins and his torn Achilles tendon can get 100M guaranteed, what do you think Goff would receive on the open market by a desperate team? 

I'm ready for a team to say go ahead and test that market. They are only bidding against themselves. I don't wanna spend $60m on anyone not named Mahomes. The NFL has lost their damn mind with this "next guy up deserves the biggest contract" nonsense. Tua, Dak, Cousins tier of QBs needs to stay in their lane financially.

A guy like Brock Purdy is gonna be paid $55m+ eventually? No thanks. Just the latest guy that everyone is fellating for going toe-to-toe with Mahomes and losing. Everything he did last year, Hurts did the year before. Anyone talking about how great Hurts is? Things change quickly.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Goff is better than both the QBs you've listed....so the money is right where it should be I think. 

Yup. It's right in line with his market value in 2024. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Pretty good deal for both teams - Rams got their title and the Lions are now reaping the benefits of their end of the trade. 

Indeed.  A very rare win-win for both teams.  Rams got Staff and Super Bowl.  Lions got Goff, Jameson Williams, Jamyhr Gibbs, and rising S Iffy Melifonwu.

Edited by Minute Bull
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Every re-up at every position for top-5 players will always set the market….

Chief's management to Harrison Butker 

cut-it-out-smh.gif.cc7118664174534acad03ecf332f051c.gif

The three-time Super Bowl champion delivered the roughly 20-minute address Saturday at the Catholic private liberal arts school in Atchison, Kansas, which is located about 60 miles north of Kansas City.

Butker, who has made his conservative Catholic beliefs well known, began his address by attacking what he called “dangerous gender ideologies” in an apparent reference to Pride month, which has been celebrated in June since the Stonewall riots in 1969. He also criticized an article by The Associated Press highlighting a shift toward conservativism in some parts of the Catholic Church.

The 28-year-old Butker then took aim at Biden's policies, including his response to COVID-19, which has killed nearly 1.2 million people in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“While COVID might have played a large role throughout your formative years, it is not unique,” he said. “The bad policies and poor leadership have negatively impacted major life issues. Things like abortion, IVF, surrogacy, euthanasia, as well as a growing support for the degenerate cultural values and media all stem from pervasiveness of disorder.”

Butker later addressed the women in the audience, arguing that their “most important title” should be that of “homemaker.”

“I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolic lies told to you," Butker said. “Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world. I can tell you that my beautiful wife Isabelle would be the first to say her life truly started when she started living her vocation as a wife and as a mother.”

Congratulations on your college degree, now start breeding and get me a fucking sandwich. Tay Tay's not gonna be happy about that, lulz. 

I think Detroit did the right thing. I’d certainly rather have him than Dak; he’s driven deep into playoffs. I don’t put the SB loss on him but on the fact Belichik just skullfucked McVey. Instead we have Dak demanding big money for flashy numbers and playoff collapses.

On 5/14/2024 at 7:46 PM, Blotto said:

Chief's management to Harrison Butker 

cut-it-out-smh.gif.cc7118664174534acad03ecf332f051c.gif

Congratulations on your college degree, now start breeding and get me a fucking sandwich. Tay Tay's not gonna be happy about that, lulz. 

Not to discount the rest of the clip (it's funny as hell), but Butker earned himself a shoutout in the Chargers' schedule release for that stunt.

NFL to test 'optical tracking system' for line-to-gain rulings during preseason, per report

The days of using the chain gang to decide first downs could be numbered.

ZACH BARNETT     MAY 21, 2024

The NFL will test an optical tracking system that will track line-to-gain rulings during the preseason, according to a report Tuesday from CBS Sports.

The familiar chain gang will continue to work games as a backup to the tracking system and to provide a visual reference point for the line-to-gain for players, coaches and spectators in the stadium. But the machines will make first-down rulings, at least during the preseason.

The NFL will use the preseason as a trial period, but if it goes well, the optical tracking system could be implemented as soon as the 2024 regular season, the report says.

One issue that could prevent full-scale implementation would be latency within the stadium, delaying the flow of the game. 

The system was installed at MetLife Stadium and Hard Rock Stadium during the 2023 season, and clearly worked well enough that the NFL will use it league-wide for the preseason.

Read the full report here.

On 5/14/2024 at 9:07 AM, Pam Cummings said:

I'm ready for a team to say go ahead and test that market. They are only bidding against themselves. I don't wanna spend $60m on anyone not named Mahomes. The NFL has lost their damn mind with this "next guy up deserves the biggest contract" nonsense. Tua, Dak, Cousins tier of QBs needs to stay in their lane financially.

Were you watching the Vikings this offseason? This big event you are ready to see literally just happened this offseason. The Vikings did actually as you said and found out. The “Get off my lawn” approach to signing your QB isn’t going to work. 

9 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Were you watching the Vikings this offseason? This big event you are ready to see literally just happened this offseason. The Vikings did actually as you said and found out. The “Get off my lawn” approach to signing your QB isn’t going to work. 

That is a good point. I think depending on how well that works out for the Vikings/Falcons, and if Kirk gets benched or not, teams may be more open to that route going forward. I think the Vikings have a good HC so we will see.