2024 MLB Season Thread - Catch All

tx 3 putt

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

He should have been fired 

True, so it sucks that there is almost 100% probability that this is the result of some settlement with an NDA attached.  But ain't my money and it cleans up a stain on the game so......hooray

Edited by Surly Bevo

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

One of the rumors about this play was that Angel hated the idea of instant replay to overturn calls on the field, and intentionally ignored making the right call here because it was called a homer on the field. He certainly seems like the type that doesn't want to be corrected. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

It’s terrible that we ever had a Negro League, but this just doesn’t make sense. 

It’s ridiculous. Records weren’t even kept for many of the games. Even when they were kept, they weren’t 100% accurate.

It was a different league. Crazy revisionist history.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Didn't this happen in 2020? The Negro league guys have been on BRef lists for a few years now I know for a fact. I don't get the consternation, nobody is being erased from history. Seems like engagement bait

IMO all stats and records from pre 1947 should be kept in a separate category. The talent pool was just so much smaller.

• Drool 1

My final point about MLB records, if you play in the major leagues you are guaranteed to play against a team filled with major league players. There have only been a few instances of gimmick players being used.

In the Negro league, this simply was not the case. In many instances guys were literally pulled off the streets (or out of the stands) into the game. It just simply can’t be judged the same way.

It’s fine that we say it was fucked up to not have black players integrated into the game. It’s fine we say it’s a mistake. But combining the records is idiotic.

I use to watch 200+ games a year, I was the director of a baseball video game franchise, I’ve spent an all-star game as the guest of Jay Johnstone (when he did TWIB), I’m met many of the games greats. I’ve gone to Spring Training with the mariners. I’ve stood in the box against Randy Johnson. This year I’ve watched 0 games. Last year maybe 5 innings. The game has lost me. This is just another stupid decision in a string of them.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

It’s ridiculous. Records weren’t even kept for many of the games. Even when they were kept, they weren’t 100% accurate.

It was a different league. Crazy revisionist history.

Researchers have compiled records for most of the Negro League games.

Are you under the impression that say, statistics from the 1917 American League were 100% accurate?   Do you realize how many times Ty Cobb's career numbers have changed since he retired?

"It was a different league."  You know what else were different leagues?   The American, National, Federal League, the American Association, Players' League, and the Union League were all different leagues and their records have counted for years.  You want to toss some of Old Hoss Radbourn's stats, too?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

My final point about MLB records, if you play in the major leagues you are guaranteed to play against a team filled with major league players. There have only been a few instances of gimmick players being used.

This simply isn’t true. The 1899 Cleveland Spiders were a sham team whose owners shipped all their decent players to the St Louis team that they also owned, and filled the Spiders with replacement players. They had spring training literally inside of a basketball gym. They went 20-134. You’re fine with records of players who played against teams like that being recognized, and the records of leagues like the American Association or Players League, but not Negro League stats? 

• Drool 1

In 1943, Josh Gibson is credited with a career high 116 hits, the only time he is credited with more than 100 hits in a season, on his way to a .466 batting average. Unfortunately he didn’t win the batting title that year…Tetelo Vargas pounded out a .471 average to take home the crown and the title of the greatest hitter in mlb single season history.