Texas (-2.5) vs Colorado State- Thursday at 5:50 on TNT

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

NC State is a team that caught fire and won the ACC, one of the best conferences in the country. Colorado State wasn't playing up to that level against that level of competition. Colorado State looked fatigued while NC State did a much better job of overcoming it. 

Also I said our team played very well defensively and gave them credit. So you can stick that insult up your fat ass. Why be so abrasive to someone who hasn't been abrasive to you?

The Mountain West was probably  a better conference than the ACC this year. 

I can tell you don't follow college basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s just WILD to me the next morning to see Texas “fans” making excuses for why we WON. Not lost. Won. Won a game in the tournament. If Saint Beard was the coach last night, it would be the best win and gutsiest wins in March EVAH

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Looking at Abmas and Disu last night compared to the entire season, it's apparent that Disu's shooting was the bigger factor in how close the game played out.  For both guys, though, it was the abysmal night from beyond the arc (1-12 cumulative) that affected the game.  They average over 4.3 3-pt shots per game between them.  That's 9+ points left off the board.

Entire season (per game played):

Abmas FG-FGA:  5.79-13.52 (42.8%)

Disu FG-FGA:  5.63-11.71 (48.1%)

Last night:

Abmas FG-FGA:  5-15 (33.3%)

Disu FG-FGA:  5-18 (27.8%)

I don't know about everybody else, but I trust Disu to rectify his shooting issues more than Abmas.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s just WILD to me the next morning to see Texas “fans” making excuses for why we WON. Not lost. Won. Won a game in the tournament. If Saint Beard was the coach last night, it would be the best win and gutsiest wins in March EVAH

Just some wild narratives after this game. 

@Hermanatoris the 3rd or 4th person that's tried to discredit CSU because of their conference. Do these people not know that the Mountain West was one of the best conferences in the country this year and arguably better than a couple power conferences? 

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Just some wild narratives after this game. 

@Hermanatoris the 3rd or 4th person that's tried to discredit CSU because of their conference. Do these people not know that the Mountain West was one of the best conferences in the country this year and arguably better than a couple power conferences? 

Eh, by NET they're #7 (compared to the ACC #4):

image.png.96d7699ab02e2dfb0bb5276a5b93444a.png

Let me just repeat that CSU was ranked higher than us on KenPom prior to the game. 

And CSU just beat the ever loving shit out of Virginia.  I mean, beat them so bad that it may actually set their program back by a few years.  And Virginia was the 3rd ranked team in... wait for it... the ACC.  NC State finished 10th in the ACC for reference.

The Virginia game was in hand for the entire 2nd half.  If CSU wasn't rested, that is on them.  They could have pulled their starters with 15 minutes to go in that game.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, by NET they're #7 (compared to the ACC #4):

image.png.96d7699ab02e2dfb0bb5276a5b93444a.png

T-Rank has it ACC #6 and Mountain West #7. The Mountain West was also ranked above the ACC at one point in Kenpom but not sure where it finished. 

I just find the NC State and Colorado State comparison to be hilarious. Colorado State just ran the 3rd best ACC team off the court in the first 4 game. The idea that NC State was playing vastly superior competition than CSU is complete fiction. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Let me just repeat that CSU was ranked higher than us on KenPom prior to the game. 

And CSU just beat the ever loving shit out of Virginia.  I mean, beat them so bad that it may actually set their program back by a few years.  And Virginia was the 3rd ranked team in... wait for it... the ACC.  NC State finished 10th in the ACC for reference.

The Virginia game was in hand for the entire 2nd half.  If CSU wasn't rested, that is on them.  They could have pulled their starters with 15 minutes to go in that game.

CSU would be favored over every ACC team not named Duke or UNC. 

Posted (edited)

Kind of off-topic, but isn't there some bitching every year about the ball they use for the NCAA tournament and how it is more slick and feels different with the tournament logo on it?

As a shooter that kind of stuff can mess with you. Could be partially to blame for some horrendous shooting we see from certain teams/players that are normally pretty good.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Kind of off-topic, but isn't there some bitching every year about the ball they use for the NCAA tournament and how it is more slick and feels different with the tournament logo on it?

As a shooter that kind of stuff can mess with you. Could be partially to blame for some horrendous shooting we see from certain teams/players that are normally pretty good.

Would they not practice with the balls or does the NCAA just roll out the special balls at game time? 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Would they not practice with the balls or does the NCAA just roll out the special balls at game time? 

I'm sure they practice with them on-site. Just found an article on it: https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2023/url-march-madness-2023-new-wilson-tournament-basketball-1234717217/ 

The Evo NXT is touted as the “highest caliber” of basketball with its micro-touch cover and stands out because of its bright orange color. The ball, which is also used for the women’s championships, typically isn’t used at most schools during the regular season. The NCAA doesn’t require teams to play with a specific brand of basketball during the regular season, just a ball that fits specific guidelines.

Edited by Hookem2147

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

we played a pretty damn ugly, low scoring game last night where our two studs combined to shoot 10-33 from the field with our entire team shooting 1-14 from three. we did not play well. 

that’s what’s so stupid about posts like yours. all you are doing is projecting. the people who criticize RT do so fairly, and don’t go out of their way to do it. in fact, i don’t even recall seeing anyone here blaming RT for how shitty we looked last night. i’ve seen literally no one do that.

but of course, OF COURSE because we won the game, this hypersensitive, ever-combative pro-RT crowd wants to put the kabosh to any and all fair, reasonable discussion of last night’s performance, insisting that we all just blindly pretend that was an awesome performance, all while talking shit to/about anyone who has the gall to not just pump blind homerism into every single post. calling them “fans”, in quotes, for not just bowing at the altar of rodney terry and his masterful coaching job last night.

you guys are the worst. you guys start every single fight over this shit. you guys make whiny, petty, shit talking posts like yours simply because others don’t want to pretend that Texas was perfect. you guys are the problem. this is not hornfans. people are allowed to be critical. get over it, and grow up. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Actually you are the worst. Nice projection post. Sorry you can’t enjoy a win 

lmao, you are the one who is in here all upset! you’re the one whose golden god of a coach just bravely led his team past the ‘96 Bulls on 100% shooting and 0 TO’s and you’re in here today whining that people aren’t blindly acting like last night was some great performance, and making up hypothetical arguments about chris beard, when nobody here is even criticizing RT or talking about chris beard. you are the one who can’t just be happy with the win. you people are nuts.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

NC State is a team that caught fire and won the ACC, one of the best conferences in the country. Colorado State wasn't playing up to that level against that level of competition. Colorado State looked fatigued while NC State did a much better job of overcoming it. 

Also I said our team played very well defensively and gave them credit. So you can stick that insult up your fat ass. Why be so abrasive to someone who hasn't been abrasive to you?

The ACC was barely better than the MWC conference. The ACC was the 6th best P6 conference with the MWC right behind them, overall. If you don't want to be called an idiot, stop make idiotic posts degrading the team you supposedly support. It has been explained Texas let CSU shitty shooters shoot the ball, it was the game plan and it worked as CSU never had a possession to take the lead for the last 30 minutes of the game. It had nothing to do with tired legs, and everything to do with the understanding of who Texas let shoot the ball uncontested.

Edited by HtownHorn

It was an "awesome performance" in that we played D and game planned well enough to beat a good team by double digits despite our two best players shooting like dog shit.

A double digit win against a top 30 Kenpom team in the tournament is pretty awesome to me. ESPECIALLY with Disu and Abmas shooting like that. You have to think those two will play much better offensively tomorrow. If they do that and the rest of the team plays like they played yesterday we have a pretty good chance to help Rick live up to his reputation.

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I wouldn't say it was an "awesome performance" offensively but it definitely was defensively. 

A 21 point jump in adjD (Kenpom) indicates as much. Winning ugly is the exact recipe of every Chris Beard team so not sure why @shadow_operativethinks this is a bad thing. 

DIS-IN-GENUOUS, CLAP CLAP, CLAP CLAP CLAP.

name the last time a chris beard team won a game with its best two players shooting 10-33 and the entire team shooting 7% from deep after which everyone came in here and praised the job chris beard did and then demanded that everyone else did too.

you idiots brought up chris beard out of nowhere because you’re so butthurt that anyone would have anything critical to say about last night’s performance, and now guess what’s happening? we’re in here the morning after a tourney win arguing about chris goddamn beard because you people are so combative!

the. worst.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

DIS-IN-GENUOUS, CLAP CLAP, CLAP CLAP CLAP.

name the last time a chris beard team won a game with its best two players shooting 10-33 and the entire team shooting 7% from deep after which everyone came in here and praised the job chris beard did and then demanded that everyone else did too.

you idiots brought up chris beard out of nowhere because you’re so butthurt that anyone would have anything critical to say about last night’s performance, and now guess what’s happening? we’re in here the morning after a tourney win arguing about chris goddamn beard because you people are so combative!

the. worst.

No, we just laugh at how Chris Beard stans frame things. 

When Beard wins an ugly defensive game it's because he's a defensive savant but when RT does the same thing it's more of "we did not play well." 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

again, you people are the one who brought up beard out of nowhere. you people are the ones who framed it that way. nobody was even talking about chris beard. you guys are mental.

it's also hilarious that you would use the term “chris beard stans”. i don’t know any of those people. i don’t see them around here. there are people who acknowledge and understand that chris beard is a great coach and that our program was seriously derailed by losing him, and then there are RT stans. 

the next post that you (and plenty of others) make that’s critical about RT will be your first; the next time you don’t claim that 100% of everything good that’s happened this season is directly because of RT will be the first; the next time you make an honest argument about RT vs Beard will be the first. and, as we’ve seen, you people will bring up chris beard out of nowhere just to white knight for RT when people are rightfully critical of his team’s performance. that’s what a STAN is- not someone who can simply see that beard is a great coach and who was sad to lose him- it’s someone who physically cannot bring themselves to admit that their guy, in this case RT, has ever done anything remotely worthy of criticism. god damn you people will ruin anything. 

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

When Beard wins an ugly defensive game it's because he's a defensive savant but when RT does the same thing it's more of "we did not play well." 

HELLO. what you’re describing is simply facts. chris beard IS a defensive savant, and his “ugly” wins never ever EVER involve giving up 100 wide open catch and shoot three point shots that the other team was simply too inept to hit.

conversely, RT is not a good defensive coach. his texas team had the worst three point defense in the league, the 250th worst three point defense in the country, and finished the regular season with the worst rating in AdjD in a decade. 

one guy wins “ugly” by design (playing slow tempo, elite defense, and highly efficient offense isn’t “ugly”), and the other guy wins ugly because (hide your eyes), he’s not a great HC and his teams are super inconsistent. 

the only people here who are “framing” each and every single result in some (hide your eyes again) disingenuous light are you RT stans who talk about him as if he’s never done anything wrong in his coaching life. get a grip dude.

Only thing I'd criticize Terry over last night was starting Horton over Weaver. Horton has earned his place, but he's a situational player, not a starter. He's a streaky shooter and a decent rebounder. Defensively, he's a liability. Weaver does more overall.

The moment Chendall hit the court, he ended a several-minute scoring drought and provided a defensive boost. It's frustrating because Terry's had all season to figure it out but still has a blind spot for Horton (although he did give Weaver more minutes).

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

but of course, OF COURSE because we won the game, this hypersensitive, ever-combative pro-RT crowd wants to put the kabosh to any and all fair, reasonable discussion of last night’s performance, insisting that we all just blindly pretend that was an awesome performance,

I don't think anyone has done this.  In fact, I think most people understand and openly acknowledged the "survive and advance" nature of the tournament.  Certainly, most have said we played like ass offensively.

But hey, don't let the truth get in the way of a good rant.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think anyone has done this.  In fact, I think most people understand and openly acknowledged the "survive and advance" nature of the tournament.  Certainly, most have said we played like ass offensively.

But hey, don't let the truth get in the way of a good rant.

In March, a win is an awesome performance.  1 point, 20 points, win and move on.  

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Without the slightest bit of irony that Terry was Beard's defensive coordinator in his short tenure at Texas.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Only thing I'd criticize Terry over last night was starting Horton over Weaver. Horton has earned his place, but he's a situational player, not a starter. He's a streaky shooter and a decent rebounder. Defensively, he's a liability. Weaver does more overall.

The moment Chendall hit the court, he ended a several-minute scoring drought and provided a defensive boost. It's frustrating because Terry's had all season to figure it out but still has a blind spot for Horton (although he did give Weaver more minutes).

Weaver started for 6 conference games, and the team went 3-3 and he averaged 8.6 PPG on a .545 TS% and a .514 eFG%.

Maybe, the team is better with Weaver coming off the bench.

In the 6 games since returning to the bench, the team is 4-2 and he's averaging 9.3 PPG on a .650 TS% and a .600 eFG%. In those 2 losses, he averaged 2.5 PPG.

4 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

1-14 wild tho. 

Thing is it's pretty commonplace in the NCAA tournament. Maybe not 1/14 bad but teams often have terrible shooting nights. 

People forget we shot 1/13 from 3 against Penn State last year but also went off against Colgate and Xavier from 3. The key is having a coach that adapts and tells players to stop shooting 3s when they aren't going in. 

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Weaver started for 6 conference games, and the team went 3-3 and he averaged 8.6 PPG on a .545 TS% and a .514 eFG%.

In the 6 games since returning to the bench, the team is 4-2 and he's averaging 9.3 PPG on a .650 TS% and a .600 eFG%. In those 2 losses, he averaged 2.5 PPG.

I like Weaver off the bench. He’s like an injection of energy when we need it most 

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Counter argument: Texas trailed 8-2 last night with Weaver on the bench. Weaver comes on and CSU only scores 3 points over the rest of the half and Texas goes into the break up, 27-11.

Point is, stats can be manipulated any way you want, but it's pretty clear that Weaver is the better player and gives the team more than Horton. Even if Chendall doesn't start, he shouldn't be spending the first six minutes of a tournament game on the bench.

23 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Weaver clearly puts a lot of pressure on himself to be high energy and a difference maker.   I think coming off the bench suits him better right now.   As he gets more experience at this level I think he will get the confidence to start.

• Like 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Thing is it's pretty commonplace in the NCAA tournament. Maybe not 1/14 bad but teams often have terrible shooting nights. 

People forget we shot 1/13 from 3 against Penn State last year but also went off against Colgate and Xavier from 3. The key is having a coach that adapts and tells players to stop shooting 3s when they aren't going in. 

The top three  point shooters in terms of volume are Disu, Abmas, and Hunter. Those 3 combined to take every 3 pointer last night. They shoot a combined 38%. It was an off night, it happens in the tournament.

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Weaver clearly puts a lot of pressure on himself to be high energy and a difference maker.   I think coming off the bench suits him better right now.   As he gets more experience at this level I think he will get the confidence to start.

Repeating: Even if Chendall doesn't start, he shouldn't be spending the first six minutes of a tournament game on the bench.

It was poor management by Terry. This is a pretty gentle criticism of him, all things considered. Y'all don't need to be stanning for him over this.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Counter argument: Texas trailed 8-2 last night with Weaver on the bench. Weaver comes on and CSU only scores 3 points over the rest of the half and Texas goes into the break up, 27-11.

Point is, stats can be manipulated any way you want, but it's pretty clear that Weaver is the better player and gives the team more than Horton. Even if Chendall doesn't start, he shouldn't be spending the first six minutes of a tournament game on the bench.

and this year's team is better with Weaver coming off the bench. Terry tried what you wanted and Weaver was a worse version of the player he can be. Horton played a hell of a defensive game last night, and lead the team in TRB%.

Edited by HtownHorn

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Repeating: Even if Chendall doesn't start, he shouldn't be spending the first six minutes of a tournament game on the bench.

It was poor management by Terry. This is a pretty gentle criticism of him, all things considered. Y'all don't need to be stanning for him over this.

I have no idea if there’s a stat of subs but I’d guess most coaches don’t make their first sub until the under 16 TO unless it’s a foul or injury issue 

29 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The moment Chendall hit the court, he ended a several-minute scoring drought and provided a defensive boost.

This is exactly why he is coming off the bench.  Would you rather have a second lineup with Horton, Brock and Shedrick?  That group is slow footed AF. 

Weaver provides a great spark to the second unit, and it isn't really needed on the first unit with Dillon Mitchell out there.  He still doubled Horton's minutes and was in the closing group. 

I can't understand why people can't see that the composition of the different lineups matters tremendously, and Weaver is better in the 2nd unit (also going against the other team's second unit).

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

I can't understand why people can't see that the composition of the different lineups matters tremendously, and Weaver is better in the 2nd unit (also going against the other team's second unit).

Because they just want to bitch and complain without understanding much about the sport.

9 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So, what, Weaver should come into the game within the 1st minute of the game. It has nothing to do with stanning and everything to do with your stupidity.

I think with Horton, they're just trying to buy minutes with him. 

You can't play Hunter, Abmas, and Weaver 35+ minutes a night. When is the best time to try and buy minutes out of Horton? It seems like RT's general idea is to get minutes early out of Horton and then use Weaver in the critical minutes. 

Yeah, Weaver got 29 minutes to Horton's 16.  Over the course of the season, Horton actually had MORE minutes -- 20.3 mpg to 18.2 mpg.  Seems to me that RT has figured it out.  I don't really put much stock into who starts, especially a super high motor guy like Weaver.  I don't know how much more he's capable of giving per game than 29 minutes.

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think with Horton, they're just trying to buy minutes with him. 

You can't play Hunter, Abmas, and Weaver 35+ minutes a night. When is the best time to try and buy minutes out of Horton? It seems like RT's general idea is to get minutes early out of Horton and then use Weaver in the critical minutes. 

Regarding the minutes, Abmas and Hunter did play 35+ minutes last night. If Disu can avoid foul trouble, he will, too. It's pretty standard policy during the tournament.

Agree with the rest. I don't hate Horton. But he wasn't giving Texas much last night on either end of the court aside from rebounds.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

HELLO. what you’re describing is simply facts. chris beard IS a defensive savant, and his “ugly” wins never ever EVER involve giving up 100 wide open catch and shoot three point shots that the other team was simply too inept to hit.

conversely, RT is not a good defensive coach. his texas team had the worst three point defense in the league, the 250th worst three point defense in the country, and finished the regular season with the worst rating in AdjD in a decade. 

one guy wins “ugly” by design (playing slow tempo, elite defense, and highly efficient offense isn’t “ugly”), and the other guy wins ugly because (hide your eyes), he’s not a great HC and his teams are super inconsistent. 

the only people here who are “framing” each and every single result in some (hide your eyes again) disingenuous light are you RT stans who talk about him as if he’s never done anything wrong in his coaching life. get a grip dude.

I hope one day soon you find it within yourself to look in the mirror and let yourself enjoy some of the minor things in life like Texas basketball

• Hook 'Em 1