Baylor @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

21 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Who said the two are mutually exclusive?  

We scored 3 runs.  In college baseball, it's tough to consistently churn out wins with anemic offense - even with good defense.

Texas has historically won games with 3 runs or less all the fucking time. Even within the past 5 years. 

When defensive miscues let a 3-2 or 4-2 win turn into a 3-4 loss then, yes, the defense is just as much of an issue. 

I know you're Pete Rose but some of this is just basic game theory.

9 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

This happened twice. Twice. The exact same way. Twice. 

I saw the first inning as killer because Texas had prime opportunity to get the Baylor starter out of the game and he went on to pitch very good for the next six innings.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Our pitching was great in this game. One bad step on a fly ball to RF… and somewhere, a longhorn is hitting another ground ball to short stop. The pitching has been good enough to seeep this home stand other than 1 inning against UW and 1 inning against AFA.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Just win the series. This is a team that’s not likely to sweep any conference series. However, if they can go 2-1, we have a chance to top/be near the top of the conference this season. 

You need to sweep 7-13 teams at home that haven’t won in Austin in 8 years to finish near the top 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

You need to sweep 7-13 teams at home that haven’t won in Austin in 8 years to finish near the top 

Yes, I know. But it’s not happening with this team. So, just keep winning series. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yes, I know. But it’s not happening with this team. So, just keep winning series. 

Agreed, but it's also probably not enough to land a regional, which definitely puts us in a hole.  If I did the math right, winning 2 out of every 3 games going forward would put us at 35-20.  Last year only one team (Auburn) hosted with a record that bad (in their case, 34-21-1).  Kentucky also hosted with a similar record (36-18).

Not that I think this team has host upside -- I'm inclined to believe just getting into post-season play somewhere else is about all we can expect.  Maybe they'll grow into their potential as they've done before.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Agreed, but it's also probably not enough to land a regional, which definitely puts us in a hole.  If I did the math right, winning 2 out of every 3 games going forward would put us at 35-20.  Last year only one team (Auburn) hosted with a record that bad (in their case, 34-21-1).  Kentucky also hosted with a similar record (36-18).

Not that I think this team has host upside -- I'm inclined to believe just getting into post-season play somewhere else is about all we can expect.  Maybe they'll grow into their potential as they've done before.

This is how I feel. Getting a 2-seed in a favorable region is about all we can hope for this year - pending some big change going forward. Right now, Texas isn't making the postseason though.

The BigXII probably gets one host this year, and that's currently OU (RPI 4). UCF is currently there based on RPI (13), but they should drop with more conference games.

https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2024/rpi-live

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

Texas has historically won games with 3 runs or less all the fucking time. Even within the past 5 years. 

When defensive miscues let a 3-2 or 4-2 win turn into a 3-4 loss then, yes, the defense is just as much of an issue. 

I know you're Pete Rose but some of this is just basic game theory.

What I actually said:

Another long outing by LBJ completely wasted by piss poor undisciplined hitting. Nobody even thought about hitting to all fields. Just pull/yank/swing-and-miss all F'n night.

Who said the two are mutually exclusive? We scored 3 runs. In college baseball, it's tough to consistently churn out wins with anemic offense - even with good defense.

I said the offense was anemic and a problem.  I never said anything about defense and I certainly didn't deny that it isn't a separate/additional problem, so I have no idea what you're continuing to try to argue. 

You're arguing against a straw man you built.  The smart ass comment at the end we can just ignore for now.  You look silly enough as it is.

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Here is an interesting data point.   We're scoring runs at the same rate, fielding at a better rate, and pitching with a lower ERA than #4 RPI OU.

I'm here for the OU sweep.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Here is an interesting data point.   We're scoring runs at the same rate, fielding at a better rate, and pitching with a lower ERA than #4 RPI OU.

Yep, I’ve noticed that and it is frustrating because we aren’t that different from them. RPI is set up to reward teams who beat quality opponents on the road or at neutral sites. Despite dropping games to Oregon, Wright State, Pitt, Ohio State, DBU and OSU, OU has swept TCU and beat Tennessee and Nebraska away from their home field.

OU also avoids Kansas and Houston in Big 12 play so they will likely run away with the conference title.

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

This is like DP’s first year where the goal is go .500 in the B12 and .750+ OOC. Just navigate the schedule and hope these hitters unfuck themselves 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

This jibes with what I’d felt watching this team. When the pitching is good, the offense isn’t. When we score, we give up runs. We just haven’t simultaneously played well on both sides of the ball so most games are coin flips. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hondo said:

What I actually said:

I said the offense was anemic and a problem.  I never said anything about defense and I certainly didn't deny that it isn't a separate/additional problem, so I have no idea what you're continuing to try to argue. 

You're arguing against a straw man you built.  The smart ass comment at the end we can just ignore for now.  You look silly enough as it is.

The issue with this Texas team is not hitting. I don't give a shit how bad you think each individual's plate approach is. These guys can put up runs and they have all season. 

The major issue - and the canary in the coal mine for DP not doing his job - is that they can't play D worth a shit. The Baylor player that scored the winning run should have been out twice. Whoever was playing short (I think? Or maybe it was the 3B) had a fairly routine play to make and didn't make it. Then JT fucked up a fairly easy DP ball. 

College hitters aren't going to have perfect discipline. They aren't going to be nails at the plate every single at bat. What college hitters can do is consistently field well and play disciplined defense.

The fielding directly contributed to Baylor winning in extras. You aren't going to hit well every game. You aren't going to pitch well every game. You can play elite defense every game and Texas isn't doing that. 

Maybe remove your head from your own ass before posting more. 

agree that we are just undisciplined at the plate. We have no clue.  we are hacking at shit or frozen like we have no plan. 

The pitching was bad early and "might" be starting to look a bit better.

Hitting won the tech series, lost us the Wash series and has a chance to lose us this series.

Losing LBJ starts is a double killer for this team.  We have to win his starts.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The issue with this Texas team is not hitting. I don't give a shit how bad you think each individual's plate approach is. These guys can put up runs and they have all season. 

The major issue - and the canary in the coal mine for DP not doing his job - is that they can't play D worth a shit. The Baylor player that scored the winning run should have been out twice. Whoever was playing short (I think? Or maybe it was the 3B) had a fairly routine play to make and didn't make it. Then JT fucked up a fairly easy DP ball. 

College hitters aren't going to have perfect discipline. They aren't going to be nails at the plate every single at bat. What college hitters can do is consistently field well and play disciplined defense.

The fielding directly contributed to Baylor winning in extras. You aren't going to hit well every game. You aren't going to pitch well every game. You can play elite defense every game and Texas isn't doing that. 

Maybe remove your head from your own ass before posting more. 

I’m not criticizing individual at bats. Overall we’re just not scoring enough runs right now. Without looking it up, it seems like the last couple years we’ve taken more walks and at times looked dependent on free passes to score. This years team doesn’t seem to take many free passes or score so…

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

agree that we are just undisciplined at the plate. We have no clue.  we are hacking at shit or frozen like we have no plan. 

The pitching was bad early and "might" be starting to look a bit better.

Hitting won the tech series, lost us the Wash series and has a chance to lose us this series.

Losing LBJ starts is a double killer for this team.  We have to win his starts.

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

I’m not criticizing individual at bats. Overall we’re just not scoring enough runs right now. Without looking it up, it seems like the last couple years we’ve taken more walks and at times looked dependent on free passes to score. This years team doesn’t seem to take many free passes or score so…

Fair enough. I'll chill out.

Sorry @Hondo

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

DH JOD over Schussler is certainly a decision

I was just about to say this.  I  guess because he is Left handed

The only other reason is a hedge against Galvan possibly.  My thought though is you DH Schuessler and if Galvan has an issue you put Powell behind the plate.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Fair enough. I'll chill out.

Sorry @Hondo

you are correct about our fielding.  It is not good for a Texas team, not really the percentage, but the range in IF, and OF is just meh.  It should be better.  Everything is meh right now. which is why we are 13-9.  I'm in the "make a regional and see what happens" boat at this point.  It is going backwards but I don't see anything changing much on this team this season.

11 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

O’Dowd at DH is stupid. I would rather run Borba out there. Jeez

It's probably some coach bullshit like "he shows up to work with a good attitude everyday so we reward him."   Pierce can't be that stupid about pure baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1

Schuessler has been swinging it well enough to where he should be DH'ing (probably permanently now that Galvan is back) when he isn't catching.

Garret G finished the season like 6-39. Silas 9-45.

They played a lot of catcher. When they didn’t, they DHd a lot. Seemed as though GGs defense got shittier as the season progressed too.

A break, even from DHing, is reasonable for the most taxing physically and mentally position on the field.

Even in the short term, Kimbles defense was significantly better when he got a break.

It’s a little different with Galvan there (or maybe his defense is not there). Oddly enough, you’re not advocating Kimble at C today even though Galvan’s performance at the plate last night was probably the worst of the season.

You gotta work your bench. You will likely need them.