Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

4 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

It’s overwhelming. The vocal CR minority (majority?) posting here has a lot more in common with protestors than me or the majority of UT alums. 

They can post all they want where they want.  It's all the tried/true CR ad hominem attacks on posters, sources, and links that turn most threads into piles of giant shit.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Some pretty top notch reeeeeing in this one

The civil war/revolution that these Hamas Youth initiates is going to last for all of 15 minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They can post all they want where they want.  It's all the tried/true CR ad hominem attacks on posters, sources, and links that turn most threads into piles of giant shit.

The videos and episodes arent real because I dont like who shared it. 👉😣👈

• Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, HendersonHorns said:

algorithms suck. I’d rather scroll past OUsux news than scroll past the campus insanity right now. Mostly because of what @bolverk said about sources and their motivation.  Insta news is not good. I use to think it was. But, you get a 15 second clip and “they” sum it up like it was a 3 day event that was pure chaos. 

It's not full of exciting videos (though there are some clips), but you could periodically check the AP for updates if all you're looking for is news instead of inflammatory commentary.

https://apnews.com/live/college-protests-palestine-updates

Watching unfiltered and unedited live streams, as was suggested, isn't a bad idea either. On YouTube, you can search for the terms protest and Palestine and then click "live," like I have here.

50 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

dueling pro Israel vs. pro Palestinian protests on the same street  have been going on before the Iphone became a common item (pre 2009). 

That Palestinian chicken episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm story goes back to the Seinfeld days. Fortunately, it ended up on Curb and not Seinfeld and became a classic.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yes, the message of their protest is about the actual issue.  But they're just directing that frustration at other students and administrators who have 0% control over where their endowment money is being deployed.  

I can rant and rally all I want about the expenditures of university endowments into company investments that support dumping plastics into the ocean and then hear "But sir, this is a Wendy's."  It doesn't make me effective.  Their message is sound.  But it's silenced by its execution.  They need to go where the decisions on how the money is invested and the to where the money is actually deployed from.  That's how they gain leverage.  Yelling at the Tower does not alter UTIMCO's investment thesis.  It never has and it never will.  

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You of all people really should not be bitching about this.

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I’ve thought and repeated this line often.  Again I posted this yesterday. 

but, I have figured out, and I do owe this website a lot of credit, for teaching me to be more accepting of people, regardless of severity of political leanings. To a point….

I’ve had interactions this week or “reactions” from people who have never done anything but “fuck you” me. 

find neutral ground before you shit completely on the beliefs they’ve had just as long and just as passionate as you are. Then work on differences in a healthy way. 

maybe it’s a pipe dream?  But I think it is what we have to do with where we are now in this political hate each side has for each other. Because it goes from political hate to hatred of the person too damn quickly anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

While I acknowledge firsthand how easy it is to get sucked in, I humbly suggest that everyone just ignore this shit because it isn't important, it just seems like it should be.  It's really just a bunch of dicks, whether the protestors or the cops/elected officals, playing games with no real consequences. It's theater.  There are more interesting and more important things to spend your time and energy on.  Like getting laid.  Or taking a nap.  Or taking a nap after you get laid.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It's not full of exciting videos (though there are some clips), but you could periodically check the AP for updates if all you're looking for is news instead of inflammatory commentary.

https://apnews.com/live/college-protests-palestine-updates

Watching unfiltered and unedited live streams, as was suggested, isn't a bad idea either. On YouTube, you can search for the terms protest and Palestine and then click "live," like I have here.

Thank you sir. 

2 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

While I acknowledge firsthand how easy it is to get sucked in, I humbly suggest that everyone just ignore this shit because it isn't important, it just seems like it should be.  It's really just a bunch of dicks, whether the protestors or the cops/elected officals, playing games with no real consequences. It's theater.  There are more interesting and more important things to spend your time and energy on.  Like getting laid.  Or taking a nap.  Or taking a nap after you get laid.

Yeah, the thing about these protests in particular is that, historically speaking (so far at least), they're actually fairly small and low impact. People like to hype them up for various reasons and cops love any excuse to put on the riot gear and crack skulls and lie to the press and strut around pretending to be important.  And most of these protesters themselves are dumbasses with no cohesive theory of effectuating change and their demands (when they have any) are barely even tied to what they're protesting against.  

Even at Columbia, which seems to have been the worst of these, nothing that has happened has even approached the standard English soccer riot in terms of violence or property destruction.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yes, the message of their protest is about the actual issue...

...Their message is sound.  But it's silenced by its execution. 

One of the main problems for them is that this is NOT true.  The message is fractured and scattered.  There are some pushing for divestiture. Some simply want a "Free Palestine."  There are others coopting the protests for a more inflammatory anti-Israeli stance, and then some just wandering around yelling "oink like a piggie oink oink."

But I do agree that, for those that are actually protesting in favor of divestiture, they're doing it wrong, in the wrong place, to the wrong people, in the wrong way, and they're letting themselves get overrun and drowned out by the idiots. 

• Like 2

Just now, utee94 said:

One of the main problems for them is that this is NOT true.  The message is fractured and scattered.  There are some pushing for divestiture. Some simply want a "Free Palestine."  There are others coopting the protests for a more inflammatory anti-Israeli stance, and then some just wandering around yelling "oink like a piggie oink oink."

But I do agree that, for those that are actually protesting in favor of divestiture, they're doing it wrong, in the wrong place, to the wrong people, in the wrong way, and they're letting themselves get overrun and drowned out by the idiots. 

I hope you're not just making this up because if this is happening it's very funny.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I'm starting a protest if I don't get my sammich after sex and before my nap.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can someone help keep track of all the accidental right wing memes these leftist protestors are doing.

So far we’ve got:

1. Racist “coded” slogans and chants

2. Colonizing campus lawns and instituting closed border policy

3. Breaching of an institutional building

4. Excusing it as agitated by false flag operators

5. And the genesis of their very own Ray Epps conspirary…

Oh and the sitting potus with his fine people on both sides statement.

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You of all people really should not be bitching about this.

Don't make ad hominem attacks.  What happens, get an ad hominem attack.  Never change CR'ers....

15 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Disrupting university education and making students feel unsafe because Columbia owns $277k of a BlackRock corporate bond ETF is insane, and, frankly, hypocritical for many involved. Disrupting a university for owning the S&P 500 implies 1 or 2 things: a misunderstanding of “investing” or a lack of knowledge about what you’re protesting in the first place. I would imagine 90% of those involved aren’t aware of the information in this post.image.thumb.png.660470652cfb29ebff57598aae776b14.pngimage.thumb.png.4a25b35b099cae5e77842af6e1f6e75c.pngimage.thumb.png.cb7bc9620fcedaceed50c454afc9e8ac.pngimage.thumb.png.0f9acdf579a5d05ee7ced42caec23b57.png

2 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I would imagine 90% of those involved aren’t aware of the information in this post.

and 100% of them not on mommy/daddy's silver spoon would take scholarship monies if offered that had investments in sed "evil corporations".

They're just dumb kids.  rant all you want, it's this escalatory shit that moves the needle - and not in their favor.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HendersonHorns said:

So she may be….., freaky?

She should be blowing up as the best “hippie/commie” facesitter. 

@YGIFS 

good target lock on. Two targets, hard to miss. 

Well, considering that she doesn't even have an IMDB profile and frankly a surprising lack of social media presence that I could easily discover.. 

I'm going to just go with, someone us probably funding her protest efforts.

Individually... 

• Hook 'Em 1

If the students going insane for $277k of investments of an Ivy league endowment is why we are getting riots at Columbia--I mean, that's hilarious. I applaud the stupidity and hilarity.

Otherwise I really struggle with why this is all happening now. @Panchobeen asking and I agree it's fishy. Why?

Also, if I am a BIPOC and was in/around the George Floyd protests and stuff-- I'd be irate. White kids engaging in privileged mass hysteria at Ivy league and Public Ivy's are not being nearly as "othere'd" and villianized as the BIPOC folks during the Floyd protests.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Don't make ad hominem attacks.  What happens, get an ad hominem attack.  Never change CR'ers....

If you think people shouldn't be allowed to criticize your sources when your sources have included literal neonazi websites in the past then what you're telling us is that you think you should be able to post literal neonazi propaganda without challenge. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Disrupting university education and making students feel unsafe because Columbia owns $277k of a BlackRock corporate bond ETF is insane, and, frankly, hypocritical for many involved. Disrupting a university for owning the S&P 500 implies 1 or 2 things: a misunderstanding of “investing” or a lack of knowledge about what you’re protesting in the first place. I would imagine 90% of those involved aren’t aware of the information in this post.

An endowment worth $14B with a claimed net total of a few hundred thousand dollars in broad funds and large cap equities….whose interest in Israel-adjacent activities is an even smaller fraction…..is somehow benefiting from or is supporting Israel. 

The ignoramuses are on this website too. They show up on the 6th Street Journal threads. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

An endowment worth $14B with a claimed net total of a few hundred thousand dollars in broad funds and large cap equities….whose interest in Israel-adjacent activities is an even smaller fraction…..is somehow benefiting from or is supporting Israel. 

The ignoramuses are on this website too. They show up on the 6th Street Journal threads. 

Trust me I know. Big fan of yours, by the way. Keep up the great work being smarter and nerdier than those guys on those aforementioned threads and board.

48 minutes ago, utee94 said:

In net, I really do wonder how many know what, exactly they hope to accomplish with their protests. Yes, they are also co-opted by general shit flingers looking for "fun" too.

I recall speaking with one of the Occupy folks calmly and civilly in Chicago.

After the broad strokes of the "message" (general propaganda that meant nothing really) I asked what he actually hoped would be accomplished. What change did he want? What was the goal? 

He really didn't have any answer at all. Eventually, I just left and went to a bar.

I am not saying that my single example is representative of the entire group then or if it similar to this one, but... I would wager I'd get similar results with a similar conversation.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Disrupting university education and making students feel unsafe because Columbia owns $277k of a BlackRock corporate bond ETF is insane, and, frankly, hypocritical for many involved. Disrupting a university for owning the S&P 500 implies 1 or 2 things: a misunderstanding of “investing” or a lack of knowledge about what you’re protesting in the first place. I would imagine 90% of those involved aren’t aware of the information in this post.image.thumb.png.660470652cfb29ebff57598aae776b14.pngimage.thumb.png.4a25b35b099cae5e77842af6e1f6e75c.pngimage.thumb.png.cb7bc9620fcedaceed50c454afc9e8ac.pngimage.thumb.png.0f9acdf579a5d05ee7ced42caec23b57.png

It's more insane to spend millions on overtime for cops to protect their right to hold onto those funds.

22 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Otherwise I really struggle with why this is all happening now.

I know! It’s weird, right? What obscure event presumably happening in some hidden corner of the world could possibly have inspired these massive protests against Israel’s recent invasion of Gaza?

I guess we’ll never know…

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

I know! It’s weird, right? What obscure event presumably happening in some hidden corner of the world could possibly have inspired these massive protests against Israel’s recent invasion of Gaza?

I guess we’ll never know…

image.png.21b18fcf2b92807bab44026d383a2fc0.png

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

The message is terrible. It’s not merely that is fractured; it’s that it’s an awful message. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://apnews.com/article/northwestern-students-israel-palestinians-protest-c3698198f13c986d6bc238ff96081f9d?utm_campaign=TrueAnthem&utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter

Some universities are actually figuring out a way to resolve this without tear gas and concussion grenades.

And a reminder that the best deals are the ones in which all parties walk away thinking they got taken to the cleaners.

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

https://apnews.com/article/northwestern-students-israel-palestinians-protest-c3698198f13c986d6bc238ff96081f9d?utm_campaign=TrueAnthem&utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter

Some universities are actually figuring out a way to resolve this without tear gas and concussion grenades.

And a reminder that the best deals are the ones in which all parties walk away thinking they got taken to the cleaners.

Brown and Johns Hopkins are trying to work it out, too.

23 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

lol. “So, still no evidence that the protestors aren’t students, eh?”

”Yeah shut up, fucktard ”:image.thumb.png.1f41945691c80c64b1ec8369c50a55cc.png

"I found one guy"

Do you know he's not faculty or staff?

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

brings back 1980s West Mall memories of "The Shack" being smashed every time by WC Frats.  That ornament was a simple structure symbolizing the plight of South African blacks living under apartheid. 

Maybe it happened later than 1984 after I graduated, but I went through the West Mall 4-6 times a day from 1980-1984 and never saw anything being smashed.  There was always some kind of peaceful protest or demonstration (almost always sparsely attended) happening on the West Mall but the frat guys, speaking for myself and the ones I observed, just walked on by.  And nobody ever blocked my way or threatened me.  

Friendly reminder.  The last time we went through a bunch of unrest and turmoil, we got actual life-endangering violence.

This guy:

Texas Department of Criminal Justice Inmate Search

Now resides in Brazoria County and doesn't have to worry about things like bills or income taxes anymore.  I bet he would do things differently if given a chance.

This guy:  

Garrett Foster: Protester Killed In Austin BLM Shooting (rollingstone.com)

Well he's experiencing Valhalla now.  I'm sure it's glorious and all.

I for one would like to see people behave with some decency.  I don't like you or your politics, you don't like me and mine, fine - fuck you - but can we not destroy things including human lives?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

"I found one guy"

Do you know he's not faculty or staff?

I bet it wouldn’t be difficult to determine most aren’t students. But I have a significant lack of motivation in doing so. I don’t give a flying fuck if he’s faculty or staff, as if that makes it any better. Jesus dude. 

Bottom row, middle pic.  That dude looks like the half-brother of both Jimmy Smits and Rafi from "The League."  Apparently being the middle sibling made him a rage-fueled campus stalker.  

8 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Maybe it happened later than 1984 after I graduated, but I went through the West Mall 4-6 times a day from 1980-1984 and never saw anything being smashed.  There was always some kind of peaceful protest or demonstration (almost always sparsely attended) happening on the West Mall but the frat guys, speaking for myself and the ones I observed, just walked on by.  And nobody ever blocked my way or threatened me.  

Started in 1985 and the "shanty" got wrecked all the time, if you can call it that, since it looked pretty bad to begin with.  The frat guys always got blamed, so I just went with that.

Growing up in Austin, I went to the drag and west mall all the time, especially in high school and I don't even remember seeing the shanty then.

I remember a couple of protests I had to shuffle through, but no big deal.

The most annoying thing were the pamphletiers that were on campus. The Jews for Jesus guys were especially pushy. Not sure why I got the treatment. I guess it was the blond hair and blue eyes with a pagan smirk on my face that drew them in.  I also remember my Antisemitism in History and Literature professor, who was Jewish, hated that group in particular based on the stupidity of the idea alone.

That was a different time and I'm pretty sure the administration thought all of the South Africa stuff was cute compared to all the Vietnam protests just a few years earlier.

Also, the Texas economy was in the shitter back then, so we were all just fighting to stay employed.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

If you think people shouldn't be allowed to criticize your sources when your sources have included literal neonazi websites in the past then what you're telling us is that you think you should be able to post literal neonazi propaganda without challenge. 

Get fucked.  How the hell does your partisan, broken brain, make this leap?

OK, let's unpack this for the last time.  The shooter in question in the post was alleged to be some Nazi fuck, and others were calling him a lefty.  Everyone was trying to determine the shooters’ identity and affiliation.  It was either Reddit or Texags or something but a link was posted confirming he was in fact a sympathizer.  So I posted it.  It was later verified to be accurate. 

The confirmation was prefaced that I don’t know anything about the site nor was I advocating for this site but here it is and yes, the dude’s a dirtbag.  Full stop. 

• bolverk changed the title to Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread