Kansas @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

That was EKs ball anyway 

5 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Kennedy lost it in the lights too but can’t catch what you can’t see.

I was joking. Fuck Stanford and their shitty lights. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

Posted (edited)

There are maybe 8-10 games a year that are actually decided by in-game decisions/strategy/personnel choices. Most of the others have too wide a margin or there isn’t anything super complex that comes up.

This one tonight was one of those 8-10 and losing that one for being too slow to pull Lummus would have been a tough pill to swallow.

Glad we found a way.

Edited by Hookem2147

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It doesn't change the fact that there is a bit of a dance required in judging when to bring in the closer.

Gage has pitched 3 times in 6 days.  All high intensity.  All 2 innings.  He’s now matched his career high in collegiate innings.  There’s potentially a month left to go.  

Im not sure there’s a manager in history that wants to blow his closer in game 1 of any series.  For a school that only dog piles in Omaha, this board sure does shit it’s pants for dumb shit every game.

And at some point, we’ll need guys to contribute.  The key is to win.  We’re doing a decent job of that now.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Such a gritty group. That is one of the one better closers we’ve seen this year and he doesn’t record an out.

Pretty much Pierce teams to a T. Also exhibit a as to why Borba should be in the lineup every game. Even when he isn’t getting hits he never looks lost or whipped at the plate.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I thought for sure that RF was going to make a diving catch knowing our luck 

For a split second I thought he caught it

1 minute ago, TexLonghorn said:

Texas Tech says, "Hold my beer."

image.thumb.png.11155a0a7b30c5435efaa4c9cd2d65c4.png

They don't call it Raider Rash for nothin'

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Pretty much Pierce teams to a T. Also exhibit a as to why Borba should be in the lineup every game. Even when he isn’t getting hits he never looks lost or whipped at the plate.

He’s struck out 22 of 71 ABs.  3 for his last 20 or so before tonight.  So really true.

8 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

He’s struck out 22 of 71 ABs.  3 for his last 20 or so before tonight.  So really true.

There is more context to it than that and we can break down every AB if you’d like. You can manipulate numbers anyway you like. If you go back to the TCU series which is when he started getting consistent playing time he was 9/32, now 10/33 with 4 walks and 8 strikeouts. 

Difference between striking out in a 9 pitch at bat and getting mowed down in less than 4 pitches. O’Dowd does a lot of the latter and Porter is a box of chocolates, neither of which should be the case for two Seniors

18 minutes ago, chase25 said:

There is more context to it than that and we can break down every AB if you’d like. You can manipulate numbers anyway you like. If you go back to the TCU series which is when he started getting consistent playing time he was 9/32, now 10/33 with 4 walks and 8 strikeouts. 

Difference between striking out in a 9 pitch at bat and getting mowed down in less than 4 pitches. O’Dowd does a lot of the latter and Porter is a box of chocolates, neither of which should be the case for two 

This board is fuckin horrendous on context so spare me that shit.   Veteran guys have crappy years quite often.  Even major leaguers.  That doesn’t mean they can’t provide value.  Brown for example had been having some quality ABs recently so whatever he did a month ago is not pertinent.  He battled thru 13 pitches not that long ago.  Drove in a run with two strikes going the other way.  A critical run.

Bottom portions of batting orders are typically inconsistent messes.  All levels.  To mitigate that you go matchups and hot hands.  There’s no need to run Borba out every day for 3-20.  Or Brown or Kennedy or ODowd.  
You keep them all engaged so that when they need to pinch hit you give them a fighting chance.  They might even get hot.  Hell Borba sitting might have done him some good.  I’d run him out there tomorrow to try and build on it.  I was the one advocating Borba playing and sitting some starters against ACU for these same reasons.

One of Pierces biggest issues is getting fixated on a lineup.  So when you get 2-3 guys not hitting, he’s stuck.  And guys will go 0-10 so you either ride that or throw in a guy that’s swung 3 times in a month.  That’s not ideal when you’re at the CWS or a super. 

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Bottom portions of batting orders are typically inconsistent messes.  All levels.  To mitigate that you go matchups and hot hands.  There’s no need to run Borba out every day for 3-20.  Or Brown or Kennedy or ODowd.  
You keep them all engaged so that when they need to pinch hit you give them a fighting chance.  They might even get hot.  Hell Borba sitting might have done him some good.  I’d run him out there tomorrow to try and build on it.  I was the one advocating Borba playing and sitting some starters against ACU for these same reasons.

One of Pierces biggest issues is getting fixated on a lineup.  So when you get 2-3 guys not hitting, he’s stuck.  And guys will go 0-10 so you either ride that or throw in a guy that’s swung 3 times in a month.  That’s not ideal when you’re at the CWS or a super. 

If you are dealing with a pool of underclassmen I would agree. Porter is an uncompetitive 6th year senior, Jack is an uncompetitive 4th year Senior. You give the dominant playing time to the young Freshman that can grow. 3/20 is irrelevant to me, that is close to 27% of his career ABs and as I mentioned earlier if you go back to when he started getting consistent playing time. It is now 10/33. 

He should be playing everyday and Jack and Porter should be mature enough to handle pinch hitting off the bench. There jobs were not stolen from them, their futility gave them away.

Jack is going to play because you have no choice. Porter should be on the pine except for the occasional pinch hit AB late in a game

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

If you are dealing with a pool of underclassmen I would agree. Porter is an uncompetitive 6th year senior, Jack is an uncompetitive 4th year Senior. You give the dominant playing time to the young Freshman that can grow. 3/20 is irrelevant to me, that is close to 27% of his career ABs and as I mentioned earlier if you go back to when he started getting consistent playing time. It is now 10/33. 

He should be playing everyday and Jack and Porter should be mature enough to handle pinch hitting off the bench. There jobs were not stolen from them, their futility gave them away.

Jack is going to play because you have no choice. Porter should be on the pine except for the occasional pinch hit AB late in a game

Batting .250 to go along with a 25% strikeout ratio does not warrant guaranteed playing time every day.

This upperclassman/underclassman consideration has limited value.  It’s who on a given day provides the best chance to win that day.

You know there were several comments on here that Hurleys ass should never pitch again.  He may well fall apart in the postseason.  But tonight was a nice game.  He was always going to be needed in the post season so it’s nice to see a good outing.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Any Ranger fan definitely had Kole Calhoun flashbacks there. 

I have Kole Calhoun flashbacks in general. The show he put on in 09….Jesus fuck. He almost single handily beat us. Almost 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Batting .250 to go along with a 25% strikeout ratio does not warrant guaranteed playing time every day.

This upperclassman/underclassman consideration has limited value.  It’s who on a given day provides the best chance to win that day.

You know there were several comments on here that Hurleys ass should never pitch again.  He may well fall apart in the postseason.  But tonight was a nice game.  He was always going to be needed in the post season so it’s nice to see a good outing.

Playing time is often based on necessity and what is available. I think even you agree that Borba should be playing everyday with the occasional breather. He actually hits right handed pitching better than left handed pitching because his biggest weakness as a hitter is soft offspeed stuff off the plate from a lefty. So you can't just platoon him. You keep bringing Borba's average up when he has 72 ABs. Comparing him to a 6th year Senior with 728 ABs struggling through his swan song is not remotely just. It isn't worth arguing over but I don't think it is a hot take to say Borba should be playing everyday while Porter and Jack rotate in every once in awhile off the bench.

Pitching and hitting aren't comparable. Hurley is a sinker baller who has not gotten a ton of batted ball luck this year. Charlie started today because Ace is hurt not because he did anything to earn it and that point is applicable to the point I am making about Borba. Will we need Porter in the postseason? Probably. Will we need Jack? No, it is just unfortunate that Casey or Porter can't play 2B.

4 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Lummus gave up 2 runs and got one fucking out on a bunt. I think Gage had what it took to pitch for one extra batter. It isnt rocket science. 

Shall we ignore the other batters Andre faced, or does that not jive with your narrative?