2024 Big 12 Tournament

chase25

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Thursday is the earliest they would use Boehm. He is going to get a break (as he should).

sounded like he was fully warmed up and ready on the radio call. 

Just now, UnhappilyMarried said:

The home run, fly out, or strike out offense didn’t play in a big park? That’s a new one 

Doesn’t play in Omaha either (which plays like a MLB park with the wind usually blowing in). Always been my fear these last few years. Lots riding on the long ball for offense.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m assuming Hurley is starting tomorrow (later today, I guess). 

Maybe but I'd be surprised, if he does I hope it is a limited pitch count. He just threw 104 against Kansas. I'd only pitch him 1 time through the order. Good opportunity tomorrow to throw Cade and Easton

Doesn’t play in Omaha either (which plays like a MLB park with the wind usually blowing in). Always been my fear these last few years. Lots riding on the long ball for offense.

2018 and 2022 both leave Omaha with 0 total homers and ~2 runs per game after mashing in Austin and ECU. Think we hit a decent amount of homers in 2021, but losers bracket is losers bracket.

This team will win a regional in the right park or be starting the offseason quickly in the wrong one. At least we set regular season home run records 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

2018 and 2022 both leave Omaha with 0 total homers and ~2 runs per game after mashing in Austin and ECU. Think we hit a decent amount of homers in 2021, but losers bracket is losers bracket.

This team will win a regional in the right park or be starting the offseason quickly in the wrong one. At least we set regular season home run records 

Difference is pitching when you get to Omaha, always has been and always will be. Florida and LSU both played bam ball last year, finishing 3rd and 4th in the country in home runs per game. They just had the pitching to go with it.

EDIT: Pierce's staffs have always lacked swing and miss

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Why are there even conference tournaments? What the fuck is the point of this shit. 

Playing in an empty ass, soulless stadium at fucking midnight against a bunch of jagoffs that wont make the tourney. Just be done with this shit, the season tells you everything you need to know. 

They’d be a lot more fun if we didn’t consistently fucking shit the bed in them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Never would’ve thought Texas Baseballs fan base would’ve been in the business of conceding games/tournaments, just cause we can’t win em. 

Ain’t shit to gain by winning it. Especially at the cost of running through arms for no benefit 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HuntinHorn said:

Lame AF…. Up 4-1…. To shit the bed 6-4..

8 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Failing to get hits with baserunners and Pierce not showing up to coach seems about a recipe for a complete waste of staying up late

8 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Pierce pissed way some runs with shit decisions tonight. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Never would’ve thought Texas Baseballs fan base would’ve been in the business of conceding games/tournaments, just cause we can’t win em. 

The fan base that is about only dogpiling in Omaha?  If that’s the ultimate goal, you plan for that.  

The conference tourney is secondary.  We didn’t concede anything but strategically when didn’t play like our season depended on it.  Tech did because their season does depend on it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'd argue getting a more favorable regional matchup is worth it 🤷‍♂️

There is no evidence playing well gives you a more favorable matchup. The committee has hinted in the past the bracket is largely set heading into this week.

0-2 last year rewarded us with a very favorable trip to Miami when many thought we were headed to Fayetteville or Baton Rouge.

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, UTPhil2006 said:

We lost and BA has us at 13 Indiana St. Thats pretty favorable 

Okay, and if we lose today that can change. 

I just think it's such a defeatist pussy attitude to be like "lets just lose and focus on regional." That's pathetic to hear from a top 3 all time baseball program. That mentality, if coming from Pierce, is why his ass will never win a title.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

It’s called “regionals” for a reason. The committee doesn’t do the tournament snake style where the worst 1 seed gets the best 2, best 2 seed gets the worst 3, etc. They do have to fill holes sometimes when a team from the West Coast hosts or there is a northern team like Indiana State or things like that.

4 teams in this “region” will likely host: OU, Arkansas, A&M and maybe one of DBU/OSU. Other at large teams who will be in are Texas, TCU, LSU.

Considering two teams from the same conference can’t be in the same regional, it would make logical sense that LSU probably goes to OU/OSU as the 3 and if DBU doesn’t host they go to OU/OSU as the 2. That leaves TCU and Texas for College Station/Fayetteville unless they want to ship one of them to Indiana State or to one of the coasts.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Okay, and if we lose today that can change. 

I just think it's such a defeatist pussy attitude to be like "let’s just lose and focus on regional." That's pathetic to hear from a top 3 all time baseball program. That mentality, if coming from Pierce, is why his ass will never win a title.

I agree, a mentality that the conference tournaments are sometimes meaningless could keep him from winning a meaningless conference tournament title 

Great Job Reaction GIF

Edited by B00M
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s called “regionals” for a reason. The committee doesn’t do the tournament snake style where the worst 1 seed gets the best 2, best 2 seed gets the worst 3, etc. They do have to fill holes sometimes when a team from the West Coast hosts or there is a northern team like Indiana State or things like that.

4 teams in this “region” will likely host: OU, Arkansas, A&M and maybe one of DBU/OSU. Other at large teams who will be in are Texas, TCU, LSU.

Considering two teams from the same conference can’t be in the same regional, it would make logical sense that LSU probably goes to OU/OSU as the 3 and if DBU doesn’t host they go to OU/OSU as the 2. That leaves TCU and Texas for College Station/Fayetteville unless they want to ship one of them to Indiana State or to one of the coasts.

True, but with so few teams west of Texas even qualifying, it might make sense for us (rather than say, GA Tech, for example) to head to California or Oregon.

More inconsistency.  The hitting was back to high strikeouts (10) and left 10 on base.  They could not string things together.  Ace was off tonight and his ERA has been steadily increasing in the last 6 weeks or so.  He has been more consistent than LBJ, but that isn't saying much.  Duplantier is probably not meant to pitch 4 innings and seems to be okay at 2 or possibly 3 innings.  Boehm should have come in at least in the ninth, and possibly the eighth.  I cringe when seeing Porter bat now.  How can he gave fallen so far?  It would have made a big difference if Witt had come back healthy and LBJ had pitched consistently even close to what he did last year.  We can get lucky and win a regional in the right size park for our hitters but it sure seems to take a lot of consistency or excellence in pitching and hitting to win a super regional and do well in the CWS.  We have had a hard time putting those things together and that is what it takes to make a long run in the post-season.

3 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

True, but with so few teams west of Texas even qualifying, it might make sense for us (rather than say, GA Tech, for example) to head to California or Oregon.

Could be as few as 1 west coast regional and as many as 3. I don’t know what the committee will do with UC Santa Barbara. #10 in the RPI but their schedule and conference are a joke and they have a whopping 3 Q1 wins.

Arizona won the regular season Pac12 title but their RPI is 29 which isn’t hosting range. Second place Oregon State seems to be in a better spot with a RPI of 13.

Porter had 3 (?) terrible ABs, but he did scorch a liner right to Kash.  No one will remember that, but if he'd hit a pop up that landed between 3 guys and scored two runs, he'd be a hero. 😉

Meaningless probably isn't the best word to use and I know I've used it before. There is a lot of middle ground between meaningless and meaningful and the conference tournament falls somewhere in there. Winning is always better than losing and I don't think anyone here is saying to purposely throw games. But in a sport like baseball with so many moving parts/players, there is a fine line you have to walk at this point in the season.

Conference tournaments are unpredictable, with varying motivation factors among teams. Some need to win it, some are indifferent, some are ready to go home. Some pitchers need to throw, some need rest, some need film for the portal opening next week. Some teams have guys who could use a few days of extra rest while some need to reps for players who may have recently entered the starting lineup. We had Jared Thomas and Peyton Powell fighting through pretty significant back injuries last year at this time, and the full week of rest did wonders for their regional/super-regional performance. 

Similar to the conference tournament in basketball, there is very little evidence that winning or losing foreshadows what is to come, assuming you already have a postseason bid locked up. If we can accept that while still hoping for wins, it makes this week less stressful as the buildup for the real tournament starts.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I just think it's such a defeatist pussy attitude to be like "lets just lose and focus on regional." That's pathetic to hear from a top 3 all time baseball program. That mentality, if coming from Pierce, is why his ass will never win a title.

Sometimes the lions get full....

I like that the SEC is moving to single elimination next year. All 16 teams make it. You still can get single and double byes I believe so finish high enough and you only have to play 3 or 4 games.

Thats how the SEC softball tournament is. Single elimination, top 4 teams get double bye 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Thats how the SEC softball tournament is. Single elimination, top 4 teams get double bye 

Might also allow them to push the start date back to Wednesday. Teams will be able to line up their pitching better.

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Meaningless probably isn't the best word to use and I know I've used it before. There is a lot of middle ground between meaningless and meaningful and the conference tournament falls somewhere in there. Winning is always better than losing and I don't think anyone here is saying to purposely throw games. But in a sport like baseball with so many moving parts/players, there is a fine line you have to walk at this point in the season.

Conference tournaments are unpredictable, with varying motivation factors among teams. Some need to win it, some are indifferent, some are ready to go home. Some pitchers need to throw, some need rest, some need film for the portal opening next week. Some teams have guys who could use a few days of extra rest while some need to reps for players who may have recently entered the starting lineup. We had Jared Thomas and Peyton Powell fighting through pretty significant back injuries last year at this time, and the full week of rest did wonders for their regional/super-regional performance. 

Similar to the conference tournament in basketball, there is very little evidence that winning or losing foreshadows what is to come, assuming you already have a postseason bid locked up. If we can accept that while still hoping for wins, it makes this week less stressful as the buildup for the real tournament starts.

A lotta ins, lotta of outs, lotta what have you’s 

51 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I like that the SEC is moving to single elimination next year. All 16 teams make it. You still can get single and double byes I believe so finish high enough and you only have to play 3 or 4 games.

Seems like the smart move considering the amount of teams in the conference. Will make for some exciting baseball I think especially with the talent level and depth of the SEC in the sport that all 16 teams make it.