2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

15 minutes ago, Constant said:

@Vic Mackey Hows the star for a high school venue?

I like it. It's cozy little venue. Much better than the massive Jerry World. But it got packed and became standing room only which kind of sucked. It got very loud towards the end of the JT/HP game when it got tense. I liked that. Not a bad seat in the house. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Longview beat Westfield 14-0

Alvin Summer Creek beat Foster 25-21 to remain undefeated -- did I hear right that this is their first year as a school?  How is that possible?

It’s called Shadow Creek. This is the 3rd year of its existence but its 1st year of varsity play. Pretty impressive.

State semis so far:

6AD1

Southlake Carroll/Duncanville Winner vs. Allen (14-0) 4:00 p.m. Saturday at Arlington's AT&T Stadium

Galena Park North Shore/Cy-Fair Winner vs. Lake Travis (12-1)

6AD2

Amarillo Tascosa/Haltom Winner vs. Longview (14-0) TBD

Beaumont West Brook (12-2) vs. Austin Westlake/San Antonio Brandeis

5AD1

Denton Ryan/Birdville Winner vs. Highland Park (14-0) Noon Saturday at Arlington's AT&T Stadium

Alvin Shadow Creek (14-0) vs. San Antonio Wagner (13-1) 2:00 p.m. Saturday at Houston’s NRG Stadium

5AD2

Wichita Falls Rider (9-5) vs. Aledo/Frisco Reedy Winner 8:00 p.m. Friday at Arlington’s AT&T Stadium

Fort Bend Marshall (14-0) vs. Corpus Christi Calallen (13-1) 7:30 p.m. Friday at San Antonio's Farris Stadium

4AD1

La Vega will play Decatur @ Jerryworld

Carthage gets Liberty Hill

4AD2

Iowa Park vs Pleasant Grove @ Ford Center

Silsbee vs Cuero/Navarro

3AD1

Brock (13-1) vs. Atlanta/Malakoff Winner 4:00 p.m. Friday at Frisco’s Ford Center

East Chambers/Grandview Winner vs. Yoakum 

3AD2

Canadian (13-1) vs. Gunter (14-0) @ Vernon

Newton (13-0) vs. East Bernard (13-1) 7:00 p.m. Friday at Porter’s Texan Drive Stadium

2AD1

New Deal (13-0) vs. San Saba (14-0) 7:00 p.m. Friday at Abilene’s Shotwell Stadium

San Augustine (12-2) vs. Mason (14-0) TBD at Waco's Waco ISD Stadium

2AD2

Gruver (13-1) vs. Albany (9-5) 6:00 p.m. Thursday at Plainview’s Sherwood Memorial Stadium

Mart (13-1) vs. Falls City (14-0) 7:00 p.m. Thursday at Georgetown's Georgetown ISD Athletic Complex

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Longview beat Westfield 14-0

Alvin Summer Creek beat Foster 25-21 to remain undefeated -- did I hear right that this is their first year as a school?  How is that possible?

36 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s called Shadow Creek. This is the 3rd year of its existence but its 1st year of varsity play. Pretty impressive.

There was a writeup on Shadow Creek in the Chronicle this week.  It's in Alvin ISD but is actually closer to Pearland.  They also drew a lot of players from Manvel, which usually has a strong team.  A lot of new schools start out playing only JV the first year or two but they played varsity games the last two year but weren't in a district and weren't eligible to qualify for the playoffs.  I had never heard of a new school doing that before.  They were effectively an independent at the high school level.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Ja'Quinden Jackson.

Talk has been that he'd be a take for us as an athlete to play on defense. How does he look playing QB?

Looks really good so far. And if he's 2020, he will continue to improve. There was a few passes that his WRs have dropped, too so far. 

Edited by Vic Mackey

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

There was a writeup on Shadow Creek in the Chronicle this week.  It's in Alvin ISD but is actually closer to Pearland.  They also drew a lot of players from Manvel, which usually has a strong team.  A lot of new schools start out playing only JV the first year or two but they played varsity games the last two year but weren't in a district and weren't eligible to qualify for the playoffs.  I had never heard of a new school doing that before.  They were effectively an independent at the high school level.

Looks like they played a "JV" schedule in 2016 -- a couple of JV games and the rest against private schools and smaller classification teams: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/shadow-creek-sharks-(pearland,tx)/football-fall-16/schedule.htm

And then they stepped it up a bit last year.  

I think that's becoming more common.  I remember Wimberley playing one of the new Cypress schools a few years back -- they only had freshmen and sophs.  

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I never in a million years would have bet on Amarillo Tascosa. Knowing my luck and Lobo history, Tascosa will beat Longview next week.

Tascosa has a really good RB who's going to Purdue next year.  

And you should never bet on a FW-area team, either.  

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Excellent...

Duncanville goes down and scores easily before half to make it 27-7 with 26sec left. And Duncanville gets the ball to start the 2nd half. But after watching that JT/HP game, this is far from over.

Duncanville is coached by Reggie Samples, notorious for his very talented but incredibly mentally weak Skyline teams. SLC isn't out of it at all. 

Duncanville is coached by Reggie Samples, notorious for his very talented but incredibly mentally weak Skyline teams. SLC isn't out of it at all. 
Yep. I witnessed Skyline meltdown to Southlake Carroll in the semifinals in 2011 where SMU plays. Skyline also blew a big lead to Allen in the playoffs in 2014.

How does Jackson look as a passer?  Card is pretty good but I don't see future star collegiate qb when I watch him, and he could always move to receiver.

Hard to judge that from this game. This is the first time I've watched him. He's made some good passes but a few were dropped.