UNC suspends 13 players over NCAA violations from the sale of team-issued shoes

Machinator

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Two observations: 1. Pretty sure Corrales is the kid from Georgetown a couple of years ago. 2. For being a Public Ivy, UNC sure can't stop tripping over its own dick as it pertains to NCAA violations.

6 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Two observations: 1. Pretty sure Corrales is the kid from Georgetown a couple of years ago. 2. For being a Public Ivy, UNC sure can't stop tripping over its own dick as it pertains to NCAA violations.

And 3. Don't get distracted Brett for fuck's sake. Urban's gotta go.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

2. For being a Public Ivy, UNC sure can't stop tripping over its own dick as it pertains to NCAA violations.

I can't believe they weren't blasted more over the academic-athletic scandal. I mean University faculty/staff creating B.S. classes and doctoring up grades at an institutional scale makes boosters buying kids' shoes seem quaint. 

40 minutes ago, 686 said:

I can't believe they weren't blasted more over the academic-athletic scandal. I mean University faculty/staff creating B.S. classes and doctoring up grades at an institutional scale makes boosters buying kids' shoes seem quaint. 

All that, and the football team still never won the ACC title during that span... #CheatBetterTarHeels

30 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

All that, and the football team still never won the ACC title during that span... #CheatBetterTarHeels

IMO, UNC football was the sacrificial lamb. The basketball team was winning titles during that time and had a player blowing the whistle on the academic scandal*, but the sanctions were focused on the football team. Complete conflict of interest for the NCAA - pull back the curtain on one of the premier basketball programs that is a perineal player in the NCAA's billion-dollar tournament, or just put the blame on the basically irrelevant UNC football program that isn't making money for the NCAA?

*"When you get to college, you don’t go to class, you don’t do nothing, you just show up and play ... That’s exactly how it was, you know, and I think that was the tradition of college basketball, or college, period, any sport. You’re not there to get an education, though they tell you that."— Rashad McCants

Edited by 686
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, 686 said:

IMO, UNC football was the sacrificial lamb. The basketball team was winning titles during that time and had a player blowing the whistle on the academic scandal*, but the sanctions were focused on the football team. Complete conflict of interest for the NCAA - pull back the curtain on one of the premier basketball programs that is a perineal player in the NCAA's billion-dollar tournament, or just put the blame on the basically irrelevant UNC football program that isn't making money for the NCAA?

*"When you get to college, you don’t go to class, you don’t do nothing, you just show up and play ... That’s exactly how it was, you know, and I think that was the tradition of college basketball, or college, period, any sport. You’re not there to get an education, though they tell you that."— Rashad McCants

That's ironic coming from McCants, he didn't even show up to play on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

So student athletes can't sell used shoes..? Or is this a case of selling straight out the box product, issued from the school..?

Its on the list of things you cant do because there is too much opportunity for "misuse" of someone overpaying for your used shoes (or brand new)

although funny story, one of my employees I managed 15 years ago played baseball for Oklahoma State for either 2 or 3 years before he left the team in the mid 90s. 

He talked very openly about the opening day of baseball practice how the Rawlings semi truck backed up to the field, and after practice, each player grabbed a huge 30 gallon trash can, and "shopped" in the truck dumping stuff in the trash can, grabbing like 20 bats, 10 hats, 20 batting gloves, like 10 gloves, 8 pair of cleats, etc.

Seniors got to go first, followed in class order, even as a freshmen he still got 7 or 8 of everything needed.   The very first thing each player did was keep a reasonable number of each item, say 2 of everything that really couldnt break, and then they all piled in trucks to go to the local sports store (I cant remember if he used a real name like Oshmans or Dicks) and they returned all the brand new equipment to the store for cash.   

He knew it was a scam by the store because the store only gave them something like 50% of the retail value, but hey, they didnt care, they got several hundred dollars cash in their pockets, and the store probably sold the stuff on sale at 80-90% of regular cost.   everyone was happy, the coach wasnt around, and neither was the ncaa compliance office.

18 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That's ironic coming from McCants, he didn't even show up to play on a regular basis.

I don't know much about the guy, but it seems like UNC and the NCAA were throwing a boatload of hush money at him:

"I have a check being written to me from the University of North Carolina for over $10 million due to the exploitation of me as a player and the lack of education that I received. The NCAA has a check for me for over $300 million to help me facilitate these sports education programs across the country. These are things that’s in the works."

— Rashad McCants, speaking on Mark Packers' Sirius XM radio show in 2014

Maybe he made it all up, but why don't we know one way or the other? Very little reporting on this story. If this was a different school or a football issue we would know more details, but IMO the NCAA doesn't want anything coming to light that will reduce the TV ratings for the BBall tourney.

2 hours ago, 686 said:

I don't know much about the guy, but it seems like UNC and the NCAA were throwing a boatload of hush money at him:

"I have a check being written to me from the University of North Carolina for over $10 million due to the exploitation of me as a player and the lack of education that I received. The NCAA has a check for me for over $300 million to help me facilitate these sports education programs across the country. These are things that’s in the works."

— Rashad McCants, speaking on Mark Packers' Sirius XM radio show in 2014

Maybe he made it all up, but why don't we know one way or the other? Very little reporting on this story. If this was a different school or a football issue we would know more details, but IMO the NCAA doesn't want anything coming to light that will reduce the TV ratings for the BBall tourney.

10 million..? That's some "shut yo mouf" money for most student athletes alright..!

A source told ESPN that the retailer told UNC it had bought shoes from other schools, including Michigan, Marquette and California. Officials from all three schools acknowledged, through athletic department spokesmen, that they were contacted by North Carolina and are in the process of investigating the claims.

Looks like players from other schools will be in the line of fire. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24344541/north-carolina-tar-heels-warn-others-wake-ncaa-violations-shoe-resales

I guess if you were already in high school or older by the late 80s or early 90s you missed the Air Jordan craze.  These dudes weren't selling cleats for $2500. They were selling retro Jordans which go for a pretty penny on the resale market.  

Our very own PJ Tucker posted this the very day the story went down.