My hands "go to sleep" at night

This bothers me typically 3 times a night. If I straighten my arms it goes away in about 30 seconds.

I sleep on my stomach 95% of the time, 5% on side, 0 on back. Cant stand it.

On my stomach I like my arms under my pillow. Side, one arm under.

Link here says it's a nerve issue.

https://www.regenexx.com/hands-numb-while-sleeping/

Zero back issues at 46 years old and I play golf and constantly lift heavy stuff and do yard work every weekend.

Just curious if any of you have had issues and found a remedy.

I can't sleep on my side without the arm eventually going numb.  If your problem is the bent arm while stomach sleeping, you probably need to train yourself to sleep on your back.  One surefire method for that is to wear braces/headgear.  Assuming that's not practical, it might be time for a new bed/mattress that is extra firm.  Not a doctor. Didn't stay at HIE.  $.02

I had the same thing a few months ago. Dr. suggested I get tested for carpal tunnel syndrome, and I ended up having it in both hands. I had surgery on both hands June 11th, the first five days sucked and I was pretty much useless.  However, the numbness at night went away immediately.  Seven days later I was chipping and putting,  two weeks later I was back golfing.  The hands are still mildly sore and I have not regained all of my strength back but it was well worth the relief.

I’m a stomach sleeper and had this issue. It went away when I got a new mattress and pillow - not sure which did it. That said, I once fell asleep on a cheap mattress in our guest bedroom. I woke up from the nap and both my arms were completely numb - couldn’t even move them. Freakiest feeling ever and caused quite a bit of panic.

I had a similar issue with a pinched nerve on one of my arms. I’d wake up in the middle of the night with my entire arm completely numb, it was painful. It’d take like 15 minutes straightening the arm and shaking my hand to wake it back up....and no I never tried to jerk off while it was numb. 

Apparently I was pinching the same nerve you hit when you hit your funny bone in the elbow due to sleeping with my arm bent under the pillow. The Dr. I saw told me wear an elbow brace, kind of similar to the knee brace athletes wear, to prevent from bending the arm when I sleep. I use it a couple nights a week and don’t have issues anymore. My doc said the same as another poster above -it could be due to carpel tunnel

1 hour ago, bigcigar said:

I’m a stomach sleeper and had this issue. It went away when I got a new mattress and pillow - not sure which did it. That said, I once fell asleep on a cheap mattress in our guest bedroom. I woke up from the nap and both my arms were completely numb - couldn’t even move them. Freakiest feeling ever and caused quite a bit of panic.

3 year old mattress, and a good one, so unlikely the issue.  Pillows maybe, I have a 'regular' one and a foam memory one.  I swap these out to see. 

I have it, doctor says it is nerves compressing because of your arm being at an angle and your weight compressing the elbow/shoulder. Your body is trained to wake up before it goes too far which is why you wake up. It still can cause long term nerve issues according to him and if you drink it can be a serious issue because you don’t wake up like you are supposed to. 

We changed our mattress and pillowsto something more supportive and the issue isn’t as bad but still happens. I can’t sleep on a soft mattress with a soft pillow at this point or it happens all night long.

I have a damaged ulnar at the elbow on one side.  Numbness should be focused around the pinky finger working its way up the outside of your hand (like bonking your funny bone).

Mine is chronic, you are probably just pinching or stretching it ackwardly at night.

Edited by JBJ

If it's just your hands, it's carpal tunnel syndrome. If it's your arm from the elbow down to your pinky and ring fingers then it's cubital tunnel.  A hand surgeon can see you for either. Might get nerve testing or a brace for the elbow.  If it's persistent can lead to nerve damage and muscle atrophy.  Eventually may need injections or surgery.  Carpal tunnel release if done endoscopically is pretty easy.  Keep dressings dry for three days, after that take them off and no restrictions.  Cubital tunnel release at the elbow is a bit longer recovery. 

On 8/8/2018 at 12:01 PM, bigcigar said:

That said, I once fell asleep on a cheap mattress in our guest bedroom. I woke up from the nap and both my arms were completely numb - couldn’t even move them. Freakiest feeling ever and caused quite a bit of panic.

Yeah, this happens to me pretty often. It's quite alarming.