2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

25 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

any chance when it comes down to post season, we actually have Jake on the roster opposed to Fisher. We pretty much know what we are getting from Jake - you can't argue he's magically going to start hitting consistently - maybe we're just throwing Fisher out there to see what we can get out of him before we ultimately make a decision on his future? He's fast, he can hit for power but strikes out way too much, doesn't seems to barrel up baseballs regularly, and has no arm at all. He and Jake are pretty much the same player, I'm thinking with this move, it's will hopefully provide some cover for him until we get a better idea, even though we all pretty much have the same idea on him as a player.  

It wouldn't shock me if one day the light just comes on for Fisher, and we look back and say, "We really should have given him more time." But...with the way the offense is going (or not), I honestly don't see how we can just keep throwing him out there right now. Give me someone who can hit .270 with a little pop and I'll gladly accept the drop-off in team speed. These windows of opportunity don't stay open forever.  

Just now, Fozzz said:

It's Kemp.  This move is probably more about getting Marisnick regular ABs in Fresno than improving the big league team.  

If Kemp can hit while he's up, all good. As for Jake, I don't see how swinging at AAA pitches is going to do any magic, but maybe it will help. He's no kid any more. He's pretty much what he is, which is a fairly low-contact hitter but solid outfielder.

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I doubt Kemp gets much playing time.  He's another left handed hitter but with much less upside than Fisher.  

Which means we'll probably now trot out him and Fisher in the same lineup. Have to make up for the lack of Jake's suckitude some way.

32 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Jake is a hell of a lot better defensively than Fisher.

Correct. They’re both fast, and that’s where the similarity ends.

Fisher was a much better hitter in the minors and has the potential to be an everyday outfielder, if it can translate to MLB.

Marisnick is an ideal 4th OF and late inning defensive sub, assuming his hitting gets back to more like last year. That’s his best usage.

He stopped swinging for contact and started trying to hit home runs. That was good, because his hit tool was never good. But now he’s overcorrected and looks like he’s swinging a golf club every time. If he can figure out his swing path again, he’ll be back up soon. He doesn’t have to hit a ton to have value, he just can’t be abysmal.

But Fisher has to hit. It could still happen, he hadn’t even had a season in the bigs yet.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

So Luhnow is more concerned with Jake’s performance than that of the team? Bold strategy, Fozzz

Getting Jake right will help the team win in the future.  However, it's  tough to make adjustments when you don't see regular playing time, and they can't keep giving him regular ABs with how poorly he is performing.  

Edited by Fozzz