2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I fucking hate Giles. I don’t care that he hasn’t blown a save. He is a headcase and he is untrustworthy to handle any high stakes situation. Get a bag of peanuts for him in a trade and ship that fucking loser out of Houston.

Fucking this.

• Like 1

Coulda woulda shoulda

It’s fine. 5-6 is a disappointment in hindsight but with 7 of the 11 on the road, not too terrible.

Sweeping the 2 game set against Seattle and taking back 1st place would be nice.

The rest of June sets up nicely to build a decent cushion on the division.

Seattle will fade by the end of the month (15 of next 19 against us, Angels, Red Sox and Yankees)

On 5/31/2018 at 8:15 AM, Scraps said:

Also there is a Tristar show coming up July 6-8 - just waiting to see the list of people who will be there, but I am sure many Stros will be in attendance again.  So yall will be able to go get your Keuchel autographs  

Initial lineup is out.  Looking real weak.  But you can go get that Strom and Hudgens autograph!  

http://www.tristarproductions.com/houston/

Edited by Scraps

25 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Time to pony up for Kelvin Herrera 

Not sure we'd be willing to give up what it would take. He'll likely be the most sought after closer at the deadline. I doubt we'd be willing to move Tucker or Whitley. What would they realistically accept that doesn't include one of those guys?

8 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The best move we could make would be convincing McCullers that he's more valuable to this team as a closer than as a 4/5 starter.  But everything I know about Lance tells me that would never happen.

This could work if Whitley is ready for a September call up. Give him Lance's spot in the rotation and let Lance work on coming out of the pen. 

I’d love McCullers to the pen and Cole Hamels added to the rotation since that other team will likely shop him but his price will likely be prohibitive and as somebody else said, McCullers won’t want to go to the pen.  I think the Oriole’s Britton is more likely to happen to help bolster the pen.

Britton would cost us way more than Herrera cause Peter Angelos is a moron

Edit: should say Britton would require us to give up way more.....I don't see us trading with the Orioles because they over value trades, unless something has finally changed in their thinking.  I'm curious to see what they do with Machado.  

Edited by Scraps

6 hours ago, Limp Brisket said:

I’d love McCullers to the pen and Cole Hamels added to the rotation since that other team will likely shop him but his price will likely be prohibitive and as somebody else said, McCullers won’t want to go to the pen.  I think the Oriole’s Britton is more likely to happen to help bolster the pen.

Cole Hamels' projected ERA for the rest of the season is 4.33.  

Bats: L
Class: 4YR JR
Height: 6' 3
Approx. Pick Value: $2.4M
Throws: R
DOB: 09/18/96
Weight: 195lbs
Beer graduated a semester early from high school and bypassed the Draft to enroll at Clemson, where he was the consensus freshman of the year and won the Dick Howser Award as the college player of the year in 2016. He almost immediately thrust himself into the discussion for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 Draft, but as that event approaches he's the most polarizing prospect in the class. Some teams believe in his lofty offensive ceiling and see him as a sure first-rounder, while other clubs question his ability to hit with wood and play a position. His proponents point to Beer's production with the Tigers: .333/.506/.651 with 34 homers and more than twice as many walks (126) as strikeouts (62) in his first two years, with similar numbers in his third. Few college players can match his combination of strength and patience at the plate. For those sold that his left-handed power will play at the next level, it can be a carrying tool. Beer's detractors don't like his less-than-smooth stroke and his wood-bat history, which includes some struggles on the high school showcase circuit and a .208/.344/.287 line in two years with Team USA. All of his value lies in his bat because he's a bottom-of-the-scale runner whose position options are first base and DH. He played mostly outfield in his first two college seasons but his lack of range and fringy arm made him a liability there.