2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Wondering if Deetz might be the next relief arm up from the minors if one is needed before Sept 1.Since he’s been back from his suspension, 1 ER in 21.2 IP, 41 Ks at all levels of the minors. 

Since slotting back in with Fresno: 10 appearances, 15 IP, 0 runs, 28 Ks.

Idk. They are already going to have a send down or put on the DL, a useful piece when Osuna gets activated. I’m guessing it’s Devo. Should be Harris but I think he can refuse assignment and become a FA 

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Idk. They are already going to have a send down or put on the DL, a useful piece when Osuna gets activated. I’m guessing it’s Devo. Should be Harris but he could refuse assignment and become a FA

All players eventually run their course. Will seems to have run his. But relievers are a weird bunch; you just never know when some little something might turn them around. Of course, it's possible some little something could turn him from bad to worse. 

devo has had 2 miserable appearances lately.  like giving up 3+ without getting an out appearances. those can skew season numbers, especially for a reliever. 

Yep. His ERA was 1.73 on 7/10. In 3 of his next 4 appearances, he gave up 11 runs in 1/3 IP. ERA is now 4.19 

That's my point though - a reliever's single season ERA is a not a good way of evaluating how they have performed and how they will perform in the future (their current "true talent").   Believing on 7/10 that Devo has been elite based off of his 1.73 ERA at the time would have been a mistake given his other numbers (FIP/xFIP/SIERA/DRA/blah blah) and it's not surprising that his ERA has now caught up and even surpassed those numbers.  Whole shit load of noise in an ERA over only 40 innings.  

Devo has way more upside than Harris. Harris is perfectly fine to be a 6th or 7th inning guy on a championship team. He did it last year perfectly fine and was even an all star a couple years ago. However, Devo has late inning stuff. When his changeup is on, he can be a bonafide setup guy. IMO, Peacock is the guy I've been most disappointed in. He was fucking nails last year whether starting or in the bullpen. He's just been average this year. I honestly love our pitching staff if wife beater locks down the 9th. No real weakness. 

but of course yankees-red sox is sunday night baseball, because god forbid they miss an opportunity.

And FS1 on Saturday. Just idiotic that the rematch of one of the best World Series in history, isn’t getting a national game.

HG, are you going to a game this weekend?

Also, it doesn’t sound like Altuve will play on this road trip.

5 hours ago, Fozzz said:

That's my point though - a reliever's single season ERA is a not a good way of evaluating how they have performed and how they will perform in the future (their current "true talent").   Believing on 7/10 that Devo has been elite based off of his 1.73 ERA at the time would have been a mistake given his other numbers (FIP/xFIP/SIERA/DRA/blah blah) and it's not surprising that his ERA has now caught up and even surpassed those numbers.  Whole shit load of noise in an ERA over only 40 innings.  

Okay Fozz. So if Devo didn't go on DL today and if you had a choice. You would cut loose Devo before Harris.

28 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

And FS1 on Saturday. Just idiotic that the rematch of one of the best World Series in history, isn’t getting a national game.

HG, are you going to a game this weekend?

Also, it doesn’t sound like Altuve will play on this road trip.

no, i can't, because i'm going out of town with my in-laws.  i don't want to talk about it.  i should be sweating my balls off in chavez ravine right fucking now.

the last time i was there i saw jv pitch, but we did not win.

but of course yankees-red sox is sunday night baseball, because god forbid they miss an opportunity.

Glass half full at least the team will get in to SF at a decent time.

For the longest the Sunday game at the end of August at Anaheim with a home game Monday night against Oakland was TBD.
I see that Sunday game is now 3:07

That happened last year: Night game at Anaheim followed by game in Houston vs Oakland the next night.

the pecking order down there is about to get really interesting.  with much of the pen not really distinguishing themselves in a good way, i really wonder how it'll shake out.  do we put osuna in the closer role right away?  does he setup rondon (or vice-versa)?  who's your first pick for 7th inning guy?  sipp has been one of our best, but he's still our situational lefty (i guess?).  

where does mchugh figure into all this?  is he just there to get the toughest out regardless of inning?

whomever said peacock has been disappointing nailed my feelings as well.  he was so dependable for an inning or two, and now it's really hit or miss.  joe smith has been very good very quietly since late april.  with osuna-rondon-smith-mchugh-sipp + mccullers/morton in oct there isn't really enough room for peacock/harris/devo to be fucking around the way they have.

The question with Charlie is he the 3rd starter or in the pen.  He's better in both roles than Keuchel, so it is not an easy decision.  I suppose a lot of it will depend on how they both pitch over the last couple months of the season.

Edited by kevwun

I think there are a lot of reasons to be encouraged by Peacock’s performance so far this season. Namely that he’s missing more bats than he did last season as a reliever.  I’d like to see him get his GB rate back up but I’m not too concerned about him.