2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

6 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

That’s really not good for Springer if so. Normally they drag this out a few days, keep the guy on the bench for a game or two, mix in an off day, daily Hinch Iraq-defense-minister updates.... before retroactively putting him on the DL.

If they’re already pulling the trigger, that’s very disconcerting.

I'm hoping it may be Tucker going down to get more consistent ABs. But I agree that if it's Springer, it doesn't bode well.

The problem with adding a bat now is that they would have to clear waivers. There are  a lot of teams in contention that are in a position to block any move the Astros want to make by putting a waiver claim on any bat the Astros would be interested in.

Looking back, its a miracle the Astros were able to get Verlander through waivers last year.

The problem with adding a bat now is that they would have to clear waivers. There are  a lot of teams in contention that are in a position to block any move the Astros want to make by putting a waiver claim on any bat the Astros would be interested in. Looking back, its a miracle the Astros were able to get Verlander through waivers last year.

Yes.... a $78 million miracle...

Putting it in this year’s context, I don’t see any other team jumping to take on $42M owed to Choo to keep him out of an Astro uniform if they chose to go that route

10 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Where are you getting that number?

Well he's making $56M this year and next, plus whatever portion he was owed to complete the 2017 season. Probably not $22M as it was the end of August when the Astros got him. Not too mention he wasn't exactly pitching at the level he did after the trade through the playoffs and this year, a lot of people thought he was done.

Edited by HtownHorn

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well he's making $56M this year and next, plus whatever portion he was owed to complete the 2017 season. Probably not $22M as it was the end of August when the Astros got him. Not too mention he wasn't exactly pitching at the level he did after the trade through the playoffs and this year, a lot of people thought he was done.

Gotcha. There were 29 games left last year, so the prorated amount of $28M would be $5M. So a team claiming him would have been on the hook for $61M.

However, they would have had Verlander for the playoffs and 2 more years.

If they had claimed Verlander, neither the Red Sox or the Yankees would have lost to the Astros in the playoffs last year.

Edited by BornOrange

At the time of the deal last year, he was owed $28M for each of 2018 and 2019

There was also a vesting option for 2020 for $22M his new team would be potentially on the hook for, so potential max of $78M at that time.

The Astros agreed to waive that option year to get deal done. The option would have vested if JV finished top 5 in the 2019 Cy Young voting.

JV wanted to bet on himself and forego $22M guaranteed in 2020 for the ability to test free agency a year earlier after 2019 (a year in which he finished top 5 in Cy Young in this hypothetical).

Looks like a wise move on JV’s part right now... although I wonder if he would have done the same after seeing how the offseason FA market played out last year. Who knows what it will be like next winter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Don’t forget that the Tigers are picking up $8mm/yr this year and next so the Astros are paying $20mm/yr.

Yeah, but a team claiming him on waivers would have had to pay the full amount if they weren't able to make a deal with the Tigers.

So it was actually a $83M decision.

10 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I would definitely take Tucker's bat over Marisnick's.  Tucker actually has a higher xwOBA than Kemp.  

Agreed. Tucker at least has good plate vision and battles. Jake just fucking swings as hard as he can at the first 3 pitches that are thrown.

holy shit with that lineup.  i never thought i'd say this, but why isn't tyler white playing?  he's a righty, we're facing a lefty, and he's been better than just about anyone the last few games.

lineup construction is probably overrated, but gattis is your prototypical old school cleanup man.  hit him 4th, and keep reddick 2nd.  he's actually impressed me vs lefties (wasn't last night vs a lefty?).

we really fought hard and grinded at bats last night for the first time in a while.  if we can do that again today and somehow win the series, it'll be a bloody miracle.

I feel like today’s lineup is what it felt like in the late 70s/early 80s (a bit before my time) when you knew you had starting pitching that would keep you in the game every day but no idea how you were going to scratch out 2-3 runs to give you a puncher’s chance to win.

All of this means we probably win 10-4 today

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I feel like today’s lineup is what it felt like in the late 70s/early 80s (a bit before my time) when you knew you had starting pitching that would keep you in the game every day but no idea how you were going to scratch out 2-3 runs to give you a puncher’s chance to win.

A little like our 2005 roster.

and please sunshine pump all you want, i'm probably the biggest astro homer on here or in houston - many posters here can attest to that (hi ldogg, 3putt!). but i also am not afraid to call out the team and bitch at them when it warrants 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We can all breathe, for now at least.

Were they just waiting for him to do some positive things, so they could send him down on a hight note? Not saying we needed the kind of offense he was providing, but I can't imagine Marisnick will. Hopefully that means Jake drives in five and has two assists today. 

Were they just waiting for him to do some positive things, so they could send him down on a hight note? Not saying we needed the kind of offense he was providing, but I can't imagine Marisnick will. Hopefully that means Jake drives in five and has two assists today. 

Not sure I follow.
The plan was for Ted to perform and never have to send him back down again.
Unfortunately, he didn’t jump in and produce immediately as hoped. That combined with the injuries, sluggish offense, and Mariners not fading necessitated the need to bring Jake back up who they, apparently, think gives the team a better chance to win right now. (Plus, the need for Tucker to be getting ABs everyday).

Time will tell

and please sunshine pump all you want, i'm probably the biggest astro homer on here or in houston - many posters here can attest to that (hi ldogg, 3putt!). but i also am not afraid to call out the team and bitch at them when it warrants 

I thought this said bitch at them at Warren’s.
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Not sure I follow.
The plan was for Ted to perform and never have to send him back down again.
Unfortunately, he didn’t jump in and produce immediately as hoped. That combined with the injuries, sluggish offense, and Mariners not fading necessitated the need to bring Jake back up who they, apparently, think gives the team a better chance to win right now. (Plus, the need for Tucker to be getting ABs everyday).

Time will tell

My only point was that it seemed Ted finally had made a couple good things happen. Just seemed ironic to me that it would coincide with his demotion. Obviously, various other factors came into play.