2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

I feel like today’s lineup is what it felt like in the late 70s/early 80s (a bit before my time) when you knew you had starting pitching that would keep you in the game every day but no idea how you were going to scratch out 2-3 runs to give you a puncher’s chance to win.

All of this means we probably win 10-4 today

Pretty close.

That is like a super Bruce Lee kick to the nuts for the Mariners.

Outstanding series fellas.

Personally always thought the A's would catch the M's anyway, but pretty sure of it now because the M's will probably only win like 3 of their next 10 after being demoralized by a half major league half AAAA lineup.

I mean they should go ahead and off themselves.

so we're 69-41.

last year after 110 games we were 70-40 (august 5th).

we then went 9-14 before a 7 game winning streak, taking us to the sept series in oakland.  i was in vegas so i assume those games just never took place.

we're 8.5 up on cleveland.

get healthy, win the division, finish ahead of the tribe.

• Like 1

And now, a word/update from the injured big 3:

Astros second baseman Jose Altuve, the reigning American League Most Valuable Player Award winner, said Wednesday he had a tough time talking about the trade to acquire Roberto Osuna, when so much is still unknown about the situation.

Osuna, the All-Star closer, was acquired from the Blue Jays on Monday. He's serving a 75-game suspension under the MLB-MLBPA Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse policy, which ends Saturday. He is also still facing domestic assault charges in Canada for alleged crimes against his girlfriend.

Altuve was one of the players president of baseball operations and general manager Jeff Luhnow called to discuss Osuna prior to making the trade as part of what Luhnow called "unprecedented" due diligence. The reliever is scheduled to join the Astros on Sunday in Los Angeles.

"Obviously, he's under investigation, I think," Altuve said. "We don't know what happened. We don't know what actually happened, so it's really hard for me to get behind a mic and a camera and just fire up a guy when I don't have an idea of what really happened. Sometimes when things like that happen, you are so focused on the game you don't pay attention.

"He's one of our teammates, so now you have to be paying attention to the details. He's going to be here sometime soon -- I don't know when -- and after that happens we're hoping to find out what happened. We're a team, so everything we do we're going to be on the same page."

Altuve has been out a week with a sore right knee, and Hinch said he hopes he can ramp up baseball activities this weekend in Los Angeles. That will include some running and some hitting.

"We've been doing some things in the training room that have been helping me a lot," Altuve said. "We've been careful and smart about it, and hopefully we're going to be ready pretty soon."

Correa set for rehab assignment
Star shortstop Carlos Correa left the team Wednesday morning in Seattle after working out at Safeco Field. He's headed to Frisco, Texas, to meet up with the team's Double-A affiliate in Corpus Christi and begin a Minor League rehab assignment. Correa has been out since June 25 with a sore back and is now pain-free.

"First of all, I feel great," Correa said. "My body feels amazing. It feels the best it's ever felt and I'm ready to go out there on a rehab assignment and hopefully join the team soon and contribute."

Correa said he will start at shortstop Thursday for Corpus Christi and play seven innings. There is no timetable for the rehab assignment, and Correa will have some days off while he's with the Hooks.

"We'll re-evaluate him over the weekend," Astros manager AJ Hinch said. "I don't know if it's going to take five days, seven days, 10 days, but we've got to watch him every day to see where his readiness is, to see where he is cardio-wise as he starts to get back on the field playing.

"The downside of the back soreness that he's had, is he hasn't done a ton as an athlete. He hasn't run a ton, he hasn't been on base three or four times. He hasn't been on his feet for nine straight innings -- things that should come back to him quickly, but we have to go through the process to get him ready."

Springer held out of starting lineup
All-Star outfielder George Springer, who was removed in the second inning of Tuesday's win with left shoulder soreness, wasn't in the lineup Wednesday, but was available to play. In fact, Hinch said a shirtless Springer did jumping jacks in his office after Tuesday's game to prove to him his shoulder hadn't lost any range of motion.

Springer was reassessed Wednesday morning at the team's Downtown Seattle hotel, and it was deemed a disabled list stint wasn't needed.

"He's feeling much better," Hinch said. "He's probably available, but given the day game after the night game and the off-day [Thursday], we're going to hold him out. Certainly, the greatest news that we could have given the thought that when he came off the field and hurt his shoulder."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i think the point is that the media ain't your buddies neither.  he doesn't need to go telling reporters whether he liked or didn't like personnel and roster decisions.

This man is correct. Keep your shit in the club house.

Also everything Keuchel has voiced has been correct. Fuck being a bitch ass yes man.

You Keuchel haters need to go suck a dick.

I literally love Dallad Keuchel.....even if he won't be here next season

This

I’m teetering on indifference and actually liking it at this point, but certainly don’t have a problem with it. Just keep performing.
He hit bottom June 10, the start after the “I know what 3-8 feels like and it ain’t this” quote.
Since then he’s been our best pitcher
Since June 15:
Keuchel: 6-1, 2.37 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 1 HR allowed
Cole: 2-2, 2.83 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 3 HRA
Morton: 5-1, 3.02 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 2 HRA
Verlander: 1-4, 3.72 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 10 HRA
LMJ: 2-3, 4.53 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 4 HRA

• Like 1

Nothing he has said is egregious. Hes standing up for a teammate. Not like he's saying Jeff Luhnow sucks a donkey dick. People blow shit out of proportion as usual. These dudes love Marisnick and if Keuchel stating that builds more confidence in Marisnick (that others in the organization obviously don't have) then I'm all for it.

35 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I agree with everything Keuchel said about Jake. 

i do too.  and i love dk, have for a long time.  i just don't see the need to feed quotes to reporters.  maybe he's just voicing his opinions, or maybe this is his way of sending a message to the front office.  why take that risk?

internal shit should stay internal.  

or you could be like jake - handle your shit like a man on the field.  he wasn't pouting, he was homering.  maybe he said something to hinch or luhnow, but we'll never know.

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

doesn't matter who you are - this is the time to earn more playing time.  just look at tony kemp.

Yep.

Don't start playing that favorite son bullshit.

Keuchel needs to worry about getting his own shit straight, which admittedly looks better as of late.

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, Scraps said:

Nothing he has said is egregious. Hes standing up for a teammate. Not like he's saying Jeff Luhnow sucks a donkey dick. People blow shit out of proportion as usual. These dudes love Marisnick and if Keuchel stating that builds more confidence in Marisnick (that others in the organization obviously don't have) then I'm all for it.

Nothing he said is egregious, I agree. And it's not about Marisnick. 

But when he criticizes the organization for not making trades last year - how is that backing up your teammates ("buddies")? Isn't it actually kind of saying "some people currently on the roster aren't good enough"?

And when he says things like "Jake shouldn't have gone down to the minors" - isn't that also saying that other guys shouldn't have been called up? 

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that he doesn't really understand the org's big-picture strategy related to roster and organizational management. He just kind of comes off sounding like a dumbass. It's fine, no harm done, just annoying. 

• Like 1

Jake's certainly part of the team. Obviously, he's a much more productive part of the team when he's making regular contact. Defense is something you can count on with him (or any other skilled outfielder), but hitting is another story.

Regardless, I suspect he'll make some big plays for us between now and season's end. Which of course needs to be in late October (after an Astros WS sweep...no more unnecessarily dragging it out to seven games). 

This

I think we have the most in baseball the rest of the way.

7 more including today.

Was just looking at the rest of baseball.

The Braves have only played 104 games. (Astros at 110). They have only 4 more off days this season.

With last night’s rainout in Atlanta, they’ll have 2 doubleheader’s in a 7 day stretch (so 9 games in 7 days).

Between Aug 7 to Aug 26 (20 days), they have no off days and scheduled to play 22 games.

And at the end of that stretch, they’ll be at ~135 games which is the max their young guns (Albies, Acuna Jr) have played in a season in the minors... with a full month still left to go.

May be time to sell on the Braves.

• Like 3