2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I will repeat myself just because the following is unbelievable:

A loss makes it over a month since our last home win. 

I Agree. Weird shit. Maybe we should stop selling out. voodoo bats. sacrifice nobis. I would try anything right now.

Two months ago we tied a franchise record 12 game winning streak

Lose tomorrow (assuming no rally tonight) and they’ll be one loss shy of tying the franchise record for consecutive home losses (11. ironically enough set about this same time in the season albeit in the god awful early days of the franchise history. July 23- Aug 17, 1966)

Complacent. Mentally weak. Waiting for a nonexistent cavalry to arrive. I’m starting to think  our issues boil down to a mix of these more than anything else. 

People will try to focus on the injuries, and I get that. Injuries obviously matter. But cry me a river. Guys get hurt. Next man up. Except we appear to have have very few guys being men right now. Who wants it? I’m not seeing the fire.

Tyler White and Tony Kemp look like our best players. Is this five years ago? Surely not. Look in the mirror, quit feeling sorry for yourselves and start playing like you belong. And care. 

I think Carlos Gomez is an idiot. But I’d rather have someone tearing up the dugout than a bunch of guys just sitting around waiting to lose. Put your big boy britches on and play. 

And you there on the end of the bench. Put down your calculator and motivate the guys you’re paid to manage. I can fill out a card and watch. You need to do more...and you need to do it now. 

There. I feel better. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Oh, I know. And there have been road trips and the AS break, but man, that just sounds awful.

We just need to skip tomorrows game and just head out of town.

That may be the ticket. When we come back home, send the wives and girlfriends out of town. You know, Undefeated.

Hinch and his “nothing is fucked here” attitude is permeating these other guys. There is no energy at all. No give a fuck. Nothing. Just a bunch of “ho hum, we will be Ok”. Quite the opposite of that garbage slogan they took for the season “Never Settle”

After tomorrow, we don't play a game out of division until September 3. 
The next few weeks will be interesting.

At which point only 6 of our final 25 will be against the West which should also be equally entertaining.

Sticking by my prediction we clinch the West with a week to go (at the final home game sept 23).
  • Like 1

Correa is still hurt but whatever, we don't have Giovanni Mier still in our minor leagues. Yuli's hand is affecting his power, but he's better than AJ Reed.  Tony Kemp is terrible in the outfield, Kyle Tucker is too passive at the plate, seriously, swing a fucking bat. Martin Maldonado has never met a chance to boot into a double play he didn't like, marwin will hit the shit outta fastballs, sometimes, when he's not busy swinging at the in the dirt, or blaming the umpire. Gerrit Cole loves to look dominant until the fourth inning until he walks the first two hitters. Bregs bat is too slow the second half of the year, gattis can't afford batting gloves, lance is too busy playing fortnite, reddick is grieving over the iron sheik's death, Altuve is dead

"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb"

• Like 4

Altuve has been with this team a long time...when he is not playing it changes the team chemistry. Gove this new group time to gel, and hopefully when they get on a run, either Altuve will be back or we acquired Josh Donaldson or some other big bat to pick us up a bit.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Correa is still hurt but whatever, we don't have Giovanni Mier still in our minor leagues. Yuli's hand is affecting his power, but he's better than AJ Reed.  Tony Kemp is terrible in the outfield, Kyle Tucker is too passive at the plate, seriously, swing a fucking bat. Martin Maldonado has never met a chance to boot into a double play he didn't like, marwin will hit the shit outta fastballs, sometimes, when he's not busy swinging at the in the dirt, or blaming the umpire. Gerrit Cole loves to look dominant until the fourth inning until he walks the first two hitters. Bregs bat is too slow the second half of the year, gattis can't afford batting gloves, lance is too busy playing fortnite, reddick is grieving over the iron sheik's death, Altuve is dead

I agree...yuli’s hand is still an issue. You know it hurts like hell to swing a bat...well let’s stay positive. His help in the playoffs will be huge with or without his hand being hurt.

28 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Pretty close to an actual analysis. 

On a related note, wonder how sales of Astroball are going this week? 

July 29 when he was on field with Tyler White. 

Its crazy the funk they are in. Some previous post about hinch no problems here mind set seems to be part of it. Been watching them in bp and during game it doesnt seem there is a look of giving a crap.  Other issue is lot of key guys have regressed to what type of players they truly are( reddick, gattis, marwin, and some bullpen guys) . 

Chances of repeating is so low I wasn’t expecting it, then we started off looking unbeatable until now. Injuries suck because had we not had any at all we wouldn’t be in this position.

Gotta figure a way to hold on and hope we get healthy in time.

still think we make the playoff at the least as the wild card but that would blow ass.

It's really pretty simple, basically every single hitter has regressed. I would argue that Correa, Springer and Gurriel have regressed below how they should be performing. Marwin, Reddick and Gattis have just regressed back to what we should expect from them. Altuve and Bregman are more or less holding the line, although Bregman is terrible right now. After that we have a bunch of plug and play guys who vary in their degree of suck. Tyler White is the only guy who looks like a major league hitter at the moment. 

30 minutes ago, mbtex said:

Adrian Beltre plays for the Rangers so He would be of no help. Unless we trade for him.

Beltran was like another Coach on the bench and they all seemed to seek him for advice.

HA. Oops. My bad.

But still, I don't think this team needs that this year like we did last year.

49 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Last year, I see your point, but how would Adrian Beltre's presence help a team full of veterans who are coming of a world championship?

Aside from the fact we can't score runs, and he's a proven vet who can still swing the bat, not much.

Yeah I’d like to Hinch at least seem like he’s trying. We get it, injuries suck and have a huge impact. On the other hand I’d like him to find some way to get them to manufacture runs. Play some small ball. Tinker with the lineup to get speed on the bases and try to screw up the defense. Something.

• Like 1