2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Correa is not that passive on the first pitch.   He swings 26% of the time in 0-0 counts, which is around 2% lower than league average (Bregman swings at 19% of first pitches).  Even if you restrict it to first pitch strikes he's still more aggressive than Bregman and only a few % points below league average.  

• Like 1

Correa is not that passive on the first pitch.   He swings 26% of the time in 0-0 counts, which is around 2% lower than league average (Bregman swings at 19% of first pitches).  Even if you restrict it to first pitch strikes he's still more aggressive than Bregman and only a few % points below league average.  

This
Thanks for finding the numbers

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Bregman doesn’t take too many fastballs down the middle. Correa takes an inordinate amount of those. Is there a breakdown of pitches they watched on first pitches? Bregman is quite selective and spits on anything but what he is looking for first pitch because as his short swing allows him to protect while still hunting that fastball when behind in the count. Correa since his return gets behind watching the pitch he should hit, chases a breaking ball. Fights a few off inside cause he can’t clear his hands on the inside pitch. Then either watches the 3rd strike down the middle with multiple runners on base or hit a weak ground out to short to end the inning.

Since he’s been back his pitch recognition and timing is just off. If it’s inner third he is not starting early enough to clear his hands. If you watch the contact Bregman makes from that side angle the bat is making contact with the ball way in front of plate as he recognizes it and clears his hips and hands to get to the ball. Correa just hasn’t been able to do that yet and you wonder if it’s hesitation about hurting his back.

i hope this is the series where he arrives.

am i the only one stuck listening to the red sox guys via mlbn?

they pronounce altuve like it rhymes with groovy.  then they said "former mvp".  then on bregman, after acknowledging his strike one call was outside, said, "man, that should've been strike 3" on the ball that made it 3-1.  then they followed up with, "price is upset because he knew he should've had him (5 pitch walk)."

i'm not typically one to get bothered by crap like this, but i muted it anyway.

am i the only one stuck listening to the red sox guys via mlbn?
they pronounce altuve like it rhymes with groovy.  then they said "former mvp".  then on bregman, after acknowledging his strike one call was outside, said, "man, that should've been strike 3" on the ball that made it 3-1.  then they followed up with, "price is upset because he knew he should've had him (5 pitch walk)."
i'm not typically one to get bothered by crap like this, but i muted it anyway.

I like OBrien.
Normally like Eck too but it’s when he’s not calling a fake against my team and can see how he’d be annoying.
Hate to hear that Remy has cancer but glad he’s not on the air

6 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Hope I'm wrong, but it looks like Correa and Altuve are playing injured. Maybe trying to nurse them through the end of the year and playoffs. Going to need great pitching and some timely hitting to get it done.

They're absolutely hurt. Altuve's right knee is killing him and reason why he can't drive anything, Correa's back is still shot and why he looks terrible. 

1 minute ago, Mez2 said:

They're absolutely hurt. Altuve's right knee is killing him and reason why he can't drive anything, Correa's back is still shot and why he looks terrible. 

It would be a good time for A's to start falling back so that we can start limiting our starters innings. They need to be fresh for the playoffs.