2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

I need to get my Friday planned. When are these fucksticks gonna announce the Friday starting times?

Yeah, won’t be until after the wild cards are set.
For what it’s worth, the last couple of years they have put the league with the off day the next day as the early games (earlier jump on travel?)
That’s the NL this year...but the NL will also be the only league with a team west of Houston playing Friday (i.e. in the mountain or pacific time zone) so who knows

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Before this week no one knew for sure how he would come back from the injury. Did you automatically assume he would come back same as usual?  Do you think he should be in the starting rotation instead?

sorry, that was a sarcastic comment on James > Peacock.

Because something is terribly wrong with Peacock, and James has been a quality starter on a team that's making pitching history.

46 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if you could make a deal with the (baseball) devil, would you trade a world series victory this year for not making the playoffs for the next 15 years?

Compared to being competitive for 15 years?  Probably.  I think the back to back afterglow would last that long after waiting 39 years for one.  

11 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

2nd time in franchise history with 3 guys getting 200+ Ks

Name the other time

(good luck... you’re not going to get it unless you recently read it like I did... one of the three I’d never heard of and I humbly consider myself as big an Astros fan as they come).

I looked it up.  1969.  The other thing I found out is that the Indians, this year, became the first team to have 4 pitchers with 200+ Ks even though we've been taking them lightly.

17 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The other thing I found out is that the Indians, this year, became the first team to have 4 pitchers with 200+ Ks even though we've been taking them lightly.

This Indians will be a tough out. Every pitcher we will face has the ability to shut us down. Going to need the best from our guys to win it. I actually like our chances against any of the other playoff teams in a seven-game series more than I like our chances against the Indians in a five-game series. I think we'll win, but it won't be easy. 

Do they swap leagues and network every year? I swore last year was all fox and mlb network and the National league was Tbs? At least it’s not Eckersley in a matchup vs Red Sox. Watched  one Red Sox game this year and him going on and on about David price throwing a cross seam fastball and a two seam fastball. Like no one had ever watched the guy pitch and it was a home broadcast.

Edited by Dondrysdale1

28 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I looked it up.  1969.  The other thing I found out is that the Indians, this year, became the first team to have 4 pitchers with 200+ Ks even though we've been taking them lightly.

I didn't forget that they have always matched up well against us, regardless of their record.

Every win in October is icing on top of the cake to me.

cleveland has great pitching.  they have a couple of the best hitters in baseball.  but they still only won 91 games while playing an unbalanced schedule including the tigers, the royals, and the white sox.  we were 25-7 vs the central.  that is crazy.

also, you should never underestimate cleveland's ability to be cleveland.

15 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

if you could make a deal with the (baseball) devil, would you trade a world series victory this year for not making the playoffs for the next 15 years?

so a world series victory this year or 2730 games where we are not competitive.  I would not make that deal considering our current roster and front office.

Do they swap leagues and network every year? I swore last year was all fox and mlb network and the National league was Tbs? At least it’s not Eckersley in a matchup vs Red Sox. Watched  one Red Sox game this year and him going on and on about David price throwing a cross seam fastball and a two seam fastball. Like no one had ever watched the guy pitch and it was a home broadcast.

I do think it does flip every year.
You are correct AL was all Fox/MLB last year.
2016 AL was TBS.

And agreed, thankful if we get Eck at least it’s not against Red Sox...although that may be short lived for the LDS.
TBS has the ALCS this year as well

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

cleveland has great pitching.  they have a couple of the best hitters in baseball.  but they still only won 91 games while playing an unbalanced schedule including the tigers, the royals, and the white sox.  we were 25-7 vs the central.  that is crazy.

also, you should never underestimate cleveland's ability to be cleveland.

oh, and considering cleveland didn't have to play cleveland, we were 21-4 against the teams they got to face 75 times.

For all that have questioned Gut Wagon’s baseball knowledge throughout the year, I offer you this validation from the playoff prediction thread:

Wild Card:

• Cubs over Rockies
  • A’s over Yankees
Division Series:

• Brewers over Cubs in 7
  • Braves over Dodgers in 7
  • Astros over Indians in 6
  • Red Sox over A’s in 6
LCS:

• Brewers over Braves in 6
  • Astros over Red Sox in 7
World Series:

•  Astros over Brewers in 5
  (Except for the WC games, I doubt I’ll get any of these exactly right. And I’m not even that confident in my WC picks.) 

Note Division series

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

For all that have questioned Gut Wagon’s baseball knowledge throughout the year, I offer you this validation from the playoff prediction thread:

Note Division series

I can't wait for those NL Division series to go 7 games. 

That will be high drama.

Memory may be screwing with me, but I think last year's ALDS games were around 2:00 in the afternoon.  Not that it makes much difference between 1:00 and 2:00.

The Friday game (the day there were four games) started at 1pm.
The year before the early Friday game started at noon (blue jays at rangers).