2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

We need to go ahead and trade him or just release him. He's shot and no way he can get over the mental hump. He's toast here and I gotta think the team is starting to see this. 

Same fucking shit every game, when we're surprised he has a clean inning, that's not good from your closer. 

• Like 2

I can imagine Hinch's thinking was... this situation will prove if Giles can truly be a closer this year. Obviously he proved he still can't do it in the biggest pressure situations. I don't fault Hinch tonight. He had to find out if Giles had turned the corner. He hasn't. 

2 minutes ago, thetruth said:

Giles got shelled on this outing, but you need to score more than 0 runs in order to win. 

Just now, cabowabo said:

We could have scored 3 and Giles would have shit them all away. 

3?  This looks like a 5 run inning for the Yanks still. 

1 minute ago, Mez2 said:

We need to go ahead and trade him or just release him. He's shot and no way he can get over the mental hump. He's toast here and I gotta think the team is starting to see this. 

Same fucking shit every game, when we're surprised he has a clean inning, that's not good from your closer. 

Trade him for someone who can replace Gattis or Marisnick and make someone else the closer.

Just now, Mez2 said:

This is where I’m at. He’ll never be the nail in the coffin closer here. He’s a mental head case.

1 minute ago, Tommy Nobis said:

This is where I’m at. He’ll never be the nail in the coffin closer here. He’s a mental head case.

Honestly, listening to Giles talk, I'm not sure there is much of anything going on in his head. 

4 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I can imagine Hinch's thinking was... this situation will prove if Giles can truly be a closer this year. Obviously he proved he still can't do it in the biggest pressure situations. I don't fault Hinch tonight. He had to find out if Giles had turned the corner. He hasn't. 

Quoted for truth 

2 minutes ago, Tommy Nobis said:

Simply keeping him on the roster at this point is a disservice to him, but more importantly, our team. Do you really think our guys have total confidence in him closing games or hold situations? I'm betting we'll give Rondon a chance until he move bullpen pieces

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Self inflicted broken jaw DL stint. That’s one way to free up a roster spot 

...and if not self-inflicted, why do I get the feeling JV finished off the job in the locker room?

Edited by UTexasFight

14 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

What was last night?

18 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Preach brother, preach! Where is that idiot from last night saying how we don’t appreciate how good Giles is.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Fools gold with one of the best run differentials in baseball and the best starting five in the game.

OK.

No shit. Talk about overreacting. 

Nice to see but chill out everyone, it's a long season. Damn

4 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

On the bright side we have DK throwing tomorrow, he's been awesome this year. Couple that with them throwing severino and the way we're swinging the bats, man, I really love our chances tomorrow

With the way this year has gone, that probably means we win 9-1.

5 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

On the bright side we have DK throwing tomorrow, he's been awesome this year. Couple that with them throwing severino and the way we're swinging the bats, man, I really love our chances tomorrow

I love the sarcasm but watch DK pitch like his Cy Young year and the bats explode. That's why baseball is the greatest game. 

7 minutes ago, Teddy Tucker said:

Speaking of hot takes, guy has one baaaaaaaaaaad outing after 10 salty ones and gets crucified. 

If I’m going on overall stats, you make a valid point. It’s not that Giles is awful, it’s that he seems to have lingering demons when it matters most. I tend to view players mainly in terms of what they do when the lights are brightest. And they were pretty bright tonight.

6 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If I’m going on overall stats, you make a valid point. It’s not that Giles is awful, it’s that he seems to have lingering demons when it matters most. I tend to view players mainly in terms of what they do when the lights are brightest. And they were pretty bright tonight.

Yep. He's not a closer. 

We need to find one.

Watching Giles punch himself in the face in front on 30,000 people, and hundreds of thousands on TV tells me all I need to know about him.  The dude's mind is absolutely fucked and he ain't ever getting it back. Time to move on. 

I’ve said it on here before and got shouted at about it being apparently early, but Gattis is fucking worthless. He’s got a lifetime OPS under .600 as a DH. He sucked last year at DH. He’s surprised on literally every pitch. He had a late meteoric rise and that’s usually indicative of a skinny parabolic issue on the other side too. He’s 31. This is a guy that is not going to get better and he’s killing us. Tyler White should be getting his ABs. 

Honestly, Marisnick is probably worse, but at least he’s an elite fielder. He and Fisher are largely redundant though. Fisher should be getting sink or swim ABs this year, given the minor league depth behind him.

The Astros have legit holes in the lineup and they’re not just going to start displaying upside that’s never been there before. 

• Like 1