2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

18 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

But what if we never win again?

The Astros will cease to exist.  They will simply close up shop and everyone will go home.  The Rockets will also fold in a similar manner.  To save itself, the Texans will move to San Antonio, but will ultimately meet its fate.  There will be no reason for anyone to come downtown.  Downtown will return to the seedy, empty cesspool and the homeless will take over again.  This will also mean less visitors, and the Galleria will close.

You see, one thing leads to another.  And just like in the movie "It's a Wonderful Life", one single event changes everything and has an effect on a multitude of things that changes everyone else's life.  

Eventually, everyone in Houston will die, and the "I told you so" group will become the smartest people in the room.

Remember, you asked.

Is that the infamous seafood place in Corpus where in the drive through you talk through a PVC pipe

Yes. It’s so bad.

Mez isn’t allowed to comment on it since he’s never experienced all that Corpus has to offer.

Mez road trip down there in a few weeks?

6 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

So who’s the next whipping boy?

Time to send LMJ down to AAA along with Keuchel and Marwin. Might as well trade Correa because he's always injured. Gattis is slumping again - time for DFA talk again.

17 minutes ago, ERhine said:

Yes. It’s so bad.

Mez isn’t allowed to comment on it since he’s never experienced all that Corpus has to offer.

Mez road trip down there in a few weeks?

Might be tough, maybe could go next weekend. My brothers bachelor party is the weekend after and after that is Chuy's birthday

Ready to move from the Giles talk and wish I had posted earlier but thought I’d pass along Kaplan’s article on the topic:

In the aftermath of their demotion of struggling reliever Ken Giles to Class AAA on Wednesday afternoon, Astros officials insisted the move was “a baseball decision.”

But Giles’ outburst coming off the mound Tuesday night after allowing three consecutive singles against the A’s, in which he appeared to direct an expletive at Astros manager A.J. Hinch, made a more drastic action inevitable.

Giles, who had already been supplanted as Houston’s primary closer by Héctor Rondón, will now report to the Fresno Grizzlies for his first minor league stint since before he debuted with the Phillies in June 2014. The 27-year-old righthander had minor league options remaining and hadn’t accrued enough major league service time to have the right to refuse his Class AAA assignment.

“We need to get his pitching right,” Hinch said. “He’s had an up-and-down season. He’s had signs of things that are good. He’s had some bad games. He’s had some meltdowns. But we need to get him right. He’s not right. We’ve got to get him right mentally and physically to make sure he’s a good contributor to a ‘pen.”

Hinch declined to comment further on Giles’ latest tantrum, except to say he didn’t speak to the pitcher about it. Giles had left Minute Maid Park before the clubhouse opened to reporters Wednesday afternoon, according to a team spokesman, and thus wasn’t available for comment.

“We’re going to talk baseball here,” Hinch said in his pre-game briefing with reporters. “We deal with a lot of different things behind the scenes internally as a team. Let’s keep it to the baseball.”

“In general, I think our clubhouse keeps those things internally and does a nice job of resolving anything that comes up,” Astros president of baseball operations Jeff Luhnow said. “But I’m not really going to address it.”

Giles’ four-seam fastball and slider combination has proven to be very hittable this season. Opponents have compiled a .286/.302/.421 line, a massive drop off from his .198/.268/.297 line last regular season.

Overall, he has a 4.99 ERA despite having issued only three walks in his 30 2/3 innings. His low strikeout total (31) underscores his issues missing bats. A slider that’s been wildly inconsistent is the main culprit.

“He doesn’t have enough movement on his fastball or enough sharpness to his slider to miss bats as much as he’s capable of, and when you’re in the ninth inning in a tough situation you’ve got to miss some bats,” Luhnow said. “He will get back to that. I’m confident. But right now, we can’t roll the dice every time he’s out there and hope it’s the three-out save as opposed to the three hits and out of the game.”

Giles, who is making $4.6 million this season, was replaced in the Astros’ bullpen Wednesday by rookie lefthander Cionel Perez. The Astros will dispatch minor league pitching coordinator Josh Miller to Fresno specifically to work with Giles.

“I think it’s important for him to get himself right to where he’s directing all of his attention toward the hitter and all of his attention toward his job,” Hinch said. “He pitches with a lot of emotion, and when things are going well we love it. When things aren’t going well we have our concerns just because of the volatility of the end-of-the-game-type stuff.

“When he’s good, he’s really good. He’s got a wipeout slider when it’s spinning right and when he can throw it for strikes and throw it for balls. When he’s throwing his fastball where he’s supposed to, he gets a ton of outs. He’s had success in this league. He’s had success in this league this year. But right now, he’s got to sort some things out in order to get back to the leverage reliever that he can be.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

So you're the guy spouting his XrWdBse8482.294 stat as the reason to keep him.

Good to know.

lol is that from that bit on 610 that was being passed around on twitter?  You should listen to less sports talk radio. It will rot your brain. 

9 hours ago, Fozzz said:

You should listen to less sports talk radio. It will rot your brain. 

Especially when it comes to baseball...dear god, these guys are absolute morons about baseball. 

(In fairness, they're probably morons about the other sports too, I just don't pay those sports enough attention to recognize it.)

12 hours ago, BornOrange said:

I don't like Astros playing in the Home Run Derby.

Sometimes players go in a slump afterwards because it changes their swings a bit.

Sometimes players not in the Home Run Derby go into a slump afterwards

• Like 1

The Trade Center. Haven't thought about that place in a while. Haven't needed a knockoff fashion item, bad movie DVDs dubbed in Spanish or a fake id lately. I always wondered who would buy a surplus, offshore survival pod. What does one do up in them things, other than get shot by SEAL snipers.