2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

10 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Who do you have in mind?

That's the thing...I seriously doubt Harper gets moved, and if he does it'll very likely cost you more than the Astros should be willing to pay.

I'm not sure I see any available bats that provide a clear upgrade over what we've got; we aren't upgrading offensively at 2B, SS, 3B, CF, RF, or 1B (probably; Abreu is probably an upgrade but not by that much). So really it is C, LF, DH. Unless you pay out the ass for Realmuto, there's not really a C option that moves the needle. I'm not a huge Gattis fan, but he's adequate at DH and I'm not sure who would be better. LF is the most likely spot, I guess, but who is available and significantly better than Tucker/Marwin/Kemp? 

Maybe you want to get Jose Bautista and see what he can do at DH/LF (he's been decent with the Mets), or give up a ton to get Realmuto or Abreu (whose value over Yuli/Gattis may or may not be that significant), I'm not really seeing many bats that fit here. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

40 minutes ago, Simon Honeybone said:

The rule states "could" have caught not "would" have caught.

Tell that to Bregman. Also tell him that the replay showed that he swung on that pitch he was rung up on in the 9th.

I'm sure he will appreciate your input.

Edited by BornOrange

1 hour ago, Simon Honeybone said:

The rule states "could" have caught not "would" have caught.

It's an out per the rules. However, I think it should be a home rule only. In spite of the fact that it was an Astros fan, it was the Rockies park.  The "park" should only be called for interference that favors the home team. Otherwise, it allows fans to intentionally interfere with questionable balls. 

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If the Nationals keep Harper through the rest of 2018 and extend him a qualifying offer, only for him to sign elsewhere, they won’t receive much in return. Because their payroll crosses the luxury tax threshold this season, their compensation for losing Harper would be a pick after the fourth round. In this June’s draft, that selection would’ve been 135th overall, which is well past the point at which future top prospects are regularly available.

i knew they were tinkering with this over the past few years, but this suuuuucks for the nats.  135th pick for losing a "generational" type talent?

strasberg back on the dl.  the nats are fucked.

as for the astros, the bats have been ice cold for a couple weeks now it seems (with the exception of an occasional one inning outburst).  trades don't solve cold.  our hitters are high-level professionals with a proven track record, and they need to get their act together.  it's july.  they have plenty of time, and we have plenty of room.  either they'll be fine, and we'll be tough, or they won't get it together, and all the jose abreu's of the world won't matter anyway.

get altuve healthy.  get correa back.  get springer out of the hole he's desperately trying to climb out of.  we'll be ok.

Edited by henrygandorf

Rosenthal had this to say earlier today - he pointed out the issue but didn't think the Astros were concerned.  Guess they were,

*Cleveland and Boston rank 1-2 in the AL in stolen bases, raising the question of whether Houston might seek an upgrade at catcher over Max Stassi and the injured Brian McCann in preparation for a postseason series against one or both of those clubs.

The answer most likely is no.

The Astros rank 22nd in the majors in caught-stealing percentage at 24.6 percent, but last season they ranked 30th at 12.1 percent. Opponents barely exploited their weakness in the postseason, attempting just six steals and succeeding on three.

4 minutes ago, ImGolfn said:

Why?   Can't Gattis catch if needed?? 

They are probably worried about McCann's knee and want another good veteran catcher.  He won a gold glove last year and I doubt they gave up a ton for him since he's Ausmus like offensively.

Edited by kevwun

Maldonado was traded to the Astros on Thursday, Jeff Fletcher of the Southern California News Group reports.

Maldonado will add quality defense behind the dish for as Astros team that has been one of the worst at throwing out opposing baserunners, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. Coming out of Wednesday's series finale with Colorado, Houston ranked 22nd in the big leagues with a caught-stealing percentage of 24.6, so Maldonado's 36.99 percent (second in the MLB) will certainly help that issue. Across 78 games with the Angels this year, Maldonado has slashed .223/.284/.332 with five home runs and 32 RBI. He will likely split time with Max Stassi while Brain McCann (knee) continues to recover from surgery. In return, the Angels received left-hander Patrick Sandoval and international bonus pool money.