Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

Nah, remember him and his wife and daughters were laughing about it, so much so that he's constantly posting on it because it's weirdly concerning.  Hate to see what goes in a family that deems rape funny but hey,  I guess he's the white male in that family so what he says goes.  

What the fuck are you blabbering about?

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Republicans' continued righteous indignation about this is laughable.

The Republicans obstructed Merrick Garland's nomination for almost a year for nothing resembling a legitimate reason.

But here we have an accused rapist who was nominated by a president who could be impeached for multiple reasons (emoluments, collusion, obstruction, take your pick) and who is clearly unfit to hold office.

And y'all are like, "fuckin' libtards blockin' our Jesus-given right to own the Supreme Court for the next quarter century - this is bullshit!"

Fuck all of you in your neck rolls.

They backed a pedophile so this technically may be a step up.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I had a trial in February. The other side brought in an attorney day of trial from another firm.  He was able to question my witnesses.  You think I get to choose the attorney who questions my clients?

So the republican senators are prosecuting the witness Ford against Kavanaugh now? Because that’s the picture you’re painting. 

Otherwise your analogy sucks. This isn’t a trial in front of a judge or jury.  It’s a confirmation hearing to see if someone should be appointed to the bench for life. 

Maybe the republican senators should hire you to ask the questions. I bet Ford’s attorney would agree to that one no problem. 

Calling my shot for late Thursday. In a surprising turn of events Brent Kavanaugh confesses that he took the alias “Doug Supernaw” in the 90s. He then launches into an emotional rendition of “Reno” directed at Ford as McConnell pulls a fiddle from his neck waddle and lays down hot fiddle work and perfect harmonies.

Confirmation is unanimous.

22 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Are you not following this issue?  Because it was her camp who showed the notes to the media.  And the media said she said there were 4 perps but didn’t name any of them. 

Not as closely as I would like. Been at the hospital with my dad the last few days when I wasn't working. 

I asked for a link. How the notes were obtained makes sense now. They were shared by the victim. 

Republicans' continued righteous indignation about this is laughable.
The Republicans obstructed Merrick Garland's nomination for almost a year for nothing resembling a legitimate reason.
But here we have an accused rapist who was nominated by a president who could be impeached for multiple reasons (emoluments, collusion, obstruction, take your pick) and who is clearly unfit to hold office.
And y'all are like, "fuckin' libtards blockin' our Jesus-given right to own the Supreme Court for the next quarter century - this is bullshit!"
Fuck all of you in your neck rolls.

That’s some authentic CR hyperbole right there.

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Excellent news. GOP Senators are getting the message that the Republican base will not excuse or allow them to back away from confirming Kavanaugh. This is not about what’s true or not or whether what the accuser says has any veracity. It’s pure power and we better win. Having a 5-4 conservative majority is worth becoming the minority party for a while.

I mean, they admit it right in this very thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The thing is the Republicans don't care if every accusation against Kavanaugh is true. That's irrelevant. He's their guy and they're going to get him confirmed. He's a Republican who will vote for Republican causes and, most importantly, protect the Republican president from indictment for his crimes. Kavanaugh could've held the altar boys down while the priest raped them in the rectory and the GOP would still support him. 

Rectory raping sounds really bad...and painful.

Well for one, we have a factual basis to not believe Kavanaugh based on his history of lying and giving misleading testimony while under oath. Also known as perjury. On top of that, Ford has some corroborating circumstantial evidence which on its own isn't persuasive, but when considered with the rest of what's come out about Kavanaugh (booze hound, Renate alumnus, "I was a virgin through high school"), becomes more believable. 

No one is talking about perjury, they seem focused on the misconduct allegations. Maybe there’s not enough to substantiate perjury?

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/7/17829320/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-hearing-perjury

Just like to say for the record Trump is illegitimate, Gorsuch is illegitimate, and Kavanaugh would be illegitimate due to Trump being undemocratically installed by foreign influence operations and him directing a criminal conspiracy to violate US campaign laws. 
There, I said it. 
But whatever, no one cares about that shit. 

Finally we know where you stand.
  • Like 2

i assume everyone here knows this, but for what it's worth, the story from the second it broke was that the notes said four guys were involved in the assault, but that that was an error in her psychiatrist's notes (she referred to four people at the party, two of them taking part in the assault).  allegedly, etc.  it seems of little consequence at this moment since we know so little about the allegations

• Like 1

One accuser:  “It’s only one random accuser, until more come forward, she’s not that credible.”

Two accusers:  “This second accuser is confused and her story is flimsy because she was drunk.”

Three accusers:  “OMFG this is an obvious orchestrated smear campaign!  Vast left wing conspiracy!”

• Like 2

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

One accuser:  “It’s only one random accuser, until more come forward, she’s not that credible.”

Two accusers:  “This second accuser is confused and her story is flimsy because she was drunk.”

Three accusers:  “OMFG this is an obvious orchestrated smear campaign!  Vast left wing conspiracy!”

Who is the third accuser and what has she said?

Edited by Johnny Sack

Excellent news. GOP Senators are getting the message that the Republican base will not excuse or allow them to back away from confirming Kavanaugh. This is not about what’s true or not or whether what the accuser says has any veracity. It’s pure power and we better win. Having a 5-4 conservative majority is worth becoming the minority party for a while.

I wonder if getting that 5-4 majority will be the end of Trump’s usefulness to the GOP and they finally will start to distance themselves from him...

No?

Just now, Celery Man said:

i assume everyone here knows this, but for what it's worth, the story from the second it broke was that the notes said four guys were involved in the assault, but that that was an error in her psychiatrist's notes (she referred to four people at the party, two of them taking part in the assault).  allegedly, etc.  it seems of little consequence at this moment since we know so little about the allegations

Doubt that her marriage counselor was a psychiatrist. What is of consequence is that none of the corroborating witnesses that she has offered have actually corroborated her account. 

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

The person saying the shrink notes are wrong is the accuser, not the shrink.  Because those notes don’t match the accuser’s story. At all. 

That adds no credibility to the accuser. At all 

Just now, Anastasis said:

Doubt that her marriage counselor was a psychiatrist. What is of consequence is that none of the corroborating witnesses that she has offered have actually corroborated her account. 

right, counselor - wasn't intending to inflate the credentials of the therapist or whatever appropriate title for the person taking notes.

named witnesses not corroborating her account is obviously not irrelevant, but I don't see that as evidence that the allegations are clearly bullshit, since we know almost nothing more about them than when they were first reported.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The person saying the shrink notes are wrong is the accuser, not the shrink.  Because those notes don’t match the accuser’s story. At all. 

That adds no credibility to the accuser. At all 

has the shrink come out and said that the notes weren't erroneous in that regard?  that would go under "we don't know much", to me.

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

named witnesses not corroborating her account is obviously not irrelevant

"Not irrelevant" is an understatement. 

Minimal corroboration of any of the allegations that have been levied would sink Kavanaugh. So far that has been a hurdle too high.