Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am skeptical of her allegations.  Why did Feinstein sit on them for so long and then leak at the last minute?

I want to see both rigorously questioned tomorrow under oath and then judge credibility.  If it is more likely than not the allegations are true, he should be voted down 100-0.  Sunlight is the best disinfectant 

i am pleased they brought in an experienced sex crimes prosecutor to question both of them.  I think she will be fair and not partisan given her background.

I am skeptical both of her allegations AND his denials.  As we should be.

I want to see a fair vetting of the information, and a fair judgment of credibility.

I have hopes about the prosecutor.  I hope that they are not misplaced.

By the way, if the rest of your posts had simply echoed the sentiments I quoted above, you'd have caught a lot less flack on this board.  You wouldn't have caught any from me, because that's pretty much where I've stood from the beginning.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I really enjoyed Tucker’s show last night. He has upped his game considerably since his bow tie wearing days on Crossfire. Classic Crossfire with Pat Buchanan was great.

...you know if the white supremacists get their way they aren't going to let you stay, right? 

• Like 1

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

Are you dumb enough to think Tucker is a white supremacist? Your posting history would suggest the answer is yes

Do I think he is personally? No. Do I think he's more than willing to traffic in white supremacy for his own personal profit? Absolutely.

For everyone that thinks...  "all they have to do is report a rape..."  listen to this infuriating shit
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/24/651221373/what-happens-when-a-rape-is-reported-but-no-one-is-prosecuted
If that doesn't piss you off, you might be a Baylor Football coach

If you dismiss the Kavanaugh accusers you must listen to this story to have any credibility.

#IbelieveAmberWyatt
  • Like 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

Avenatti 1, 4chan1, America 0

That should be enough for a kill shot. Acquisitions of pulling a Cosby should do it, right?

Probably.  Get her in front of the committee then. Her and the other witnesses. If it’s credible then ice the confirmation and move forward with another nominee.

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

That’s not good. I haz a sad :(. Next man errr woman up. What type of character assassination will Amy Barrett undergo. 

Wait . . . are you saying Ms. Swetnick's claims are simply more "character assassination", or are you saying that they hold weight with you?  If the latter, what does your statement about Amy Barrett imply?

Hint:  if a statement is true and reveals one's character to be lacking, it's not "character assassination".

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

Need to dump Kavanaugh and get another nominee. I’m hoping it’s Barrett so that the left gets truly scared that Roe can get overturned. That is what this country deserves. 

Anyone a Republican nominates would either vote to overturn Roe explicitly or overturn it in effect by permitting literally any limitation imposed on a woman's right to get an abortion. We already know this. At this point we'll settle for an ideological conservative that isn't a strict partisan Republican and isn't a habitual liar.

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Anyone a Republican nominates would either vote to overturn Roe explicitly or overturn it in effect by permitting literally any limitation imposed on a woman's right to get an abortion. We already know this. At this point we'll settle for an ideological conservative that isn't a strict partisan Republican and isn't a habitual liar.

This.  While I can't stand Gorsuch, he's a fine pick for a Republican president, and I have no issue with that choice.   Kavanaugh has proven to be very different, and not just because of these rape allegations. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Need to dump Kavanaugh and get another nominee. I’m hoping it’s Barrett so that the left gets truly scared that Roe can get overturned. That is what this country deserves. 

This country - and specifically, women - deserve to be scared that Roe gets overturned if Kavanaugh isn't confirmed? You need help. 

• Like 2

If this latest allegation is at all credible....he should be sunk.  I'm not saying "convicted of a crime," or even adjudged guilty of the Ford assault.  I'm saying sunk, because of what it says about his character.

I know plenty of folks who followed a similar path as Kavanaugh, education and economics-wise.  I was generally one of them.  You could tell stories about us drinking WAY too much in high school.  Even of us saying things about women that were not nice or admirable.  I've even done so in my younger adulthood, from time to time (yeah, locker room talk type stuff) -- and for the record, I'm not proud of it.  But then there's another level: purposefully setting the stage for and committing assaults against women.  I can honestly look back on my school years, and at the very least, I didn't associate with any guys who did that sort of thing.  I can't say that NOBODY did it, because I didn't move in every crowd.  But I can say that I was at plenty of pretty wild parties, and assaults just didn't happen.  Maybe a fight in the backyard, sure.  But not sexual assault that I was ever made aware of in any way, either by guys plotting it, doing it in the open, bragging about it, stories afterwards from males or females, etc.

If these allegations are true, they speak of a person who has a systematic disregard and lack of respect for the female half of our population.  I don't want that sort of person sitting in judgment in a traffic court.

• Like 1

I wonder if all these Senators who talk about the importance of the hearing being a "fact finding mission" would support a special rule prohibiting speeches by Senators or questions unrelated to the events in question.  Well, I don't really wonder.  I know damn well.  In fact they will have almost no questions about the specifics which we need to know.  It will be all about the treatment of women who allege assault.

I'm convinced she was assaulted.  Hell, if I were defending Kavanaugh I'd stipulate to it.  The only question on the table is whether Kavanaugh did it.

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, it’s ridiculous to think Kavanaugh was the only way to have a 5-4 conservative majority.  If anything, he was the candidate most in the Bush world political hack establishment circle that Trumpkins hate.

I do find it strange that now the people who have been supporting him say it’s time to dump him.  Of course, obviously if he committed gang rapes he should be punished and shouldn’t be anywhere near SCOTUS.   But at first blush this new accusation seems way more farfetched and unlikely to be credible than the Ford and Ramirez claims.  

Michael Avenatti alleging a repeat gang rape ring that never was reported seems more credible to Trumpkins than Ford and Ramirez?  Maybe it ends up that way, but sometimes I feel like this conspiracy theories on the right have warped people’s brains as to what they should and should not be skeptical about.

Totally agree.  Would be REALLY nice for someone other than an accuser(husband and therapist don't count) to provide some corroboration on any of these claims.

9 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

They're going to be soooooooooooooooo sad when Roberts "unexpectedly" sides with the liberals to affirm Roe because his concern is his court's legacy and he won't overturn precedent.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

If this latest allegation is at all credible....he should be sunk.  I'm not saying "convicted of a crime," or even adjudged guilty of the Ford assault.  I'm saying sunk, because of what it says about his character.

I know plenty of folks who followed a similar path as Kavanaugh, education and economics-wise.  I was generally one of them.  You could tell stories about us drinking WAY too much in high school.  Even of us saying things about women that were not nice or admirable.  I've even done so in my younger adulthood, from time to time (yeah, locker room talk type stuff) -- and for the record, I'm not proud of it.  But then there's another level: purposefully setting the stage for and committing assaults against women.  I can honestly look back on my school years, and at the very least, I didn't associate with any guys who did that sort of thing.  I can't say that NOBODY did it, because I didn't move in every crowd.  But I can say that I was at plenty of pretty wild parties, and assaults just didn't happen.  Maybe a fight in the backyard, sure.  But not sexual assault that I was ever made aware of in any way, either by guys plotting it, doing it in the open, bragging about it, stories afterwards from males or females, etc.

If these allegations are true, they speak of a person who has a systematic disregard and lack of respect for the female half of our population.  I don't want that sort of person sitting in judgment in a traffic court.

This is the part that gets me about this kind of thing. I also drank too much in high school (honestly drank more total in high school than college I would be willing to bet) but I don't remember any of the people I hung out with ever even discussing anything like this. It was simply not acceptable in any way. Based on statistics it's likely true that someone in our group sexually assaulted a girl or that one of the girls we knew was sexually assaulted, but I never heard anything about it. The concept of planning, executing, or even discussing someone else's plan to do something like that is just amazing to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Totally agree.  Would be REALLY nice for someone other than an accuser(husband and therapist don't count) to provide some corroboration on any of these claims.

Yes, why won't the alleged co-conspirators corroborate the accusations? The mind truly boggles.

Edited by Huckleberry
ALLEGEDLY
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, it’s ridiculous to think Kavanaugh was the only way to have a 5-4 conservative majority.  If anything, he was the candidate most in the Bush world political hack establishment circle that Trumpkins hate.

I do find it strange that now the people who have been supporting him say it’s time to dump him.  Of course, obviously if he committed gang rapes he should be punished and shouldn’t be anywhere near SCOTUS.   But at first blush this new accusation seems way more farfetched and unlikely to be credible than the Ford and Ramirez claims.  

Michael Avenatti alleging a repeat gang rape ring that never was reported seems more credible to Trumpkins than Ford and Ramirez?  Maybe it ends up that way, but sometimes I feel like this conspiracy theories on the right have warped people’s brains as to what they should and should not be skeptical about.

I think it points to the reality that it wasn't really the credibility of the accusers that mattered.  They are just fine with it if Kavanaugh tried to rape a chick at a high-school party and stuck his dick in a girl's face at a college party.   The credibility stuff was just a smokescreen so they didn't have to admit it.  

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Reasons to dump Kavanaugh now:

1. Came off as a pussy and a robot on the Fox interview. 

2. Having a SC nominee accused of running trains and drugging women on luudes is too much for even me to stomach. Smoke and fire and such.

3. Nominate a woman and spin it as some sort of bs about being receptive to the needs of women. 

I suspect Kavanaugh's previous examples of perjury will be a highlight of the discussion tomorrow.  You can argue whether or not they are severe enough to disqulify him from the SCOTUS alone, but they will certainly shine a light on this man's willingness to twist the truth under oath.

Also, while this most recent allegation is definitely the most farfetched, the accuser has quite the resume to just throw away on a baseless claim.

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

How about one of the alleged other women who suffered at the Ocean Beach Qualuude Rape House?

It's only Wednesday, at this rate you'll get what you want soon enough. I mean I think Avenatti is a publicity-seeking asshat but he said he had this sworn statement and he appears to have it, so I'm not sure it's safe to assume that the part in that statement claiming there are multiple corroborating witnesses willing to speak is false.