Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, retread said:

Their steadfast support for the last year and a half has been odd. R congresses will stick with their R president, but this seems to be much different. 

it seems to be a last-ditch, zero sum, crimson sky (shogun reference, holla) type of effort. it's kamikaze, and political suicide. i'm shocked they do not see it. 

UNLESS, there is something bigger. and that's the reason for so many R resignations, and for this odd, humiliating pro-trump R congress. /tinfoilhat

For you "Why now?" doubters, this is from uncle-in-law, who you'd hardly call a bleeding heart. He's from small-town Oklahoma and was a beat cop in Wichita Falls for years.

Ignorance is leading the Supreme Court nomination. Ignorance of the knowledge of the effect that sexual assault has on its victims. Sexual assault affects the victim for the rest of their lives. Coming forward is a process. Some women come forward immediately and some can never come forward. The time it took Dr. Ford to come forward is immaterial. All it means is that she reached the point in her process that allowed her to become public.

The way she is being treated will only tend to prevent other women from reporting their sexual assault.

Just asking questions.  Is that how it's done?

this Mark Judge gf coming forward and confirming what went on is probably the killing stake.  Birds of a feather and what not.  You don't hang out with people that do things like that if you're not implicitly or explicitly signalling you''re ok with it.  And if you're ok with it, welp, you're a piece of shit.

4 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

The not so Deep State huh.

Read Julie Swetnick's sworn statements:

There's no statute of limitations in MD for felony sexual assault.  The avalanche slab is splintering forest right now.

Gott damn, I'm no knight in shining armor, nor were any of my friends, but that kind of shit would get you a major beat down before it went past one or two incidents. The girls at our HS parties were all friends of ours who we'd probably grown up with, sisters of friends or friends of friends. Who the fuck wants to even get a girl that way ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

so, can anyone explain why mcconnell is all in on this guy?

i mean, he's been staunch and steadfast this whole time about having a vote. no other republicans are squeaking all that much either.

what the fuck? why are they risking everything for this one guy?

My take:

There’s obviously a political calculation McConnell made a while back with regards to Trump.  

McConnell actually didn’t want Kavanaugh, he would have preferred someone easier to confirm but the whole party is riding on Trump and Kavanaugh is “his guy”.

McConnell breaking away from the dear leader on Kavanaugh before it was absolutely certain they couldn’t get him confirmed would have divided the party and made them much weaker politically.

This was about reinforcing the strength of the rabid base before pulling out.

”Peace with Honor”

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

I want to see what happens when people are crossed under oath.  I think I know.

This last allegation, from someone with what appears to have multiple clearances is going to sink him. Now (devils advocate alert) if it was that well known you'd think there'd be more people coming out about it before today. This seemed to be first hand knowledge within the entire student body, that attended the parties at least.

5 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

The thing I want to hear are the names of party participants - girls molested, boys molesting, witnesses, attendees, places, dates, and so on.  If Ms Swetnick has info I'm listening.  If all she remembers is Brett Kavanaugh I'm not.

And that's why you are a part of the problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

This last allegation, from someone with what appears to have multiple clearances is going to sink him. Now (devils advocate alert) if it was that well known you'd think there'd be more people coming out about it before today. This seemed to be first hand knowledge within the entire student body, that attended the parties at least.

Look how long Harvey Weinstein managed to keep his shit quiet.

Yeah, you'd think there could be a lot of corroboration of the latest declaration from some women at least, even if it was "I'd heard rumors about that sort of party."  I doubt many attendees would be willing to say they were there, especially men.

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it seems to be a last-ditch, zero sum, crimson sky (shogun reference, holla) type of effort. it's kamikaze, and political suicide. i'm shocked they do not see it. 

UNLESS, there is something bigger. and that's the reason for so many R resignations, and for this odd, humiliating pro-trump R congress. /tinfoilhat

Президент Путин владеет американская гоп

Yeah, I'm sure the dudes in the trains are lining up today to confess.   Or maybe the unconscious victims? 

This shit will keep coming out from the people who do know something, but it develops over time.  For all the attacks on these woman as publicity hounds, the reality is that very few people want to enter the national spotlight on a contentious issue.  

Just now, kevwun said:

Look how long Harvey Weinstein managed to keep his shit quiet.

Money, power, and potential fame for the victims if they just shut up and play along. Different circumstances here.  I'm not talking about victims specifically, I'm referring to the all the other kids at the party. They had to see this shit if it was as this last woman alleges.

15 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

again, that's all well and good for trump. but not necessarily republican senators. they've been steadfast in their support. it makes no sense unless there is something bigger going on.

You seemed to have missed the part where the GOP turned into the party of Trump, all Trump, and only Trump.  It is no longer a conventional political party.  It is a cult.  The base slavishly adores Trump.  Thus, in order to stay in the good graces of the base, so do all other GOP officials.  That's it, it's that simple.

11 hours ago, Jim Tom Pinch said:

CSB

I know several women who are horrified their sons could have their lives destroyed by an accusation with no proof so I’m not sure what your anecdotal evidence proves.

Tell those women not to let their sons post dumbass shit in their yearbooks implying they were banging girls and drinking like crazy. 

I look at my yearbooks, and I see similar shit to what Kavanaugh posted.  And guess what?  I know for a fact those guys weren’t making that shit up. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

The thing I want to hear are the names of party participants - girls molested, boys molesting, witnesses, attendees, places, dates, and so on.  If Ms Swetnick has info I'm listening.  If all she remembers is Brett Kavanaugh I'm not.

That’s because you’re a piece of shit

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

Yeah, I'm sure the dudes in the trains are lining up today to confess.   Or maybe the unconscious victims? 

This shit will keep coming out from the people who do know something, but it develops over time.  For all the attacks on these woman as publicity hounds, the reality is that very few people want to enter the national spotlight on a contentious issue.  

The allegation is this was going on in the parties, the punch was spiked and people knew to avoid it.  Why aren't we seeing more people coming forward to say yeah we saw this, especially women.  

The allegation is this was going on in the parties, the punch was spiked and people knew to avoid it.  Why aren't we seeing more people coming forward to say yeah we saw this, especially women.  

Yea I wonder why people don’t want to come forward when the fucking President and half of Congress is calling them liars

• Like 2

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Because it's been two hours?   And the punch allegations were already confirmed in the New Yorker article (search for punch):  https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/senate-democrats-investigate-a-new-allegation-of-sexual-misconduct-from-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaughs-college-years-deborah-ramirez

4 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Yeah, you'd think there could be a lot of corroboration of the latest declaration from some women at least, even if it was "I'd heard rumors about that sort of party."  I doubt many attendees would be willing to say they were there, especially men.

If I knew, and didn't say anything I'd imagine I'd be reluctant (damned embarrassed) to tell as well.  But shit your parents probably knew where you were going, ours knew we were at parties, and which parties we were at. I'd be grilling my kid about this as soon as I read her allegation.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

look, dude, i know this is hard for people with a pro-R, anti-D bias to sort through, but, for the most part, people go along to get along. how many in that high school class has even thought about brett kavanaugh in the past 30 years? in fact, people in high school get along to go along as well. people actively and routinely look the other way and mind their own business, when it comes to bullying, drinking, even fighting, and even, yeah, sexual assault as long as they can retain their plausible deniability. 

i know we're all billy badasses who would have broken up a perceived gang rape. but most high schoolers are just going to sip their drink, assume the chick in the bedroom is a slut and wants all that dick. even moreso in 19fucking82. like i said either here or elsewhere, my mom was still getting sexually harassed by her boss during this time period ( i think my original reference was the early 90s, but the point still stands 10 years earlier), and we had 80s movies like revenge of the nerds and animal house tweaking their nose at fucking drunk girls, because it must be okay, right?

also, you kind of overestimate the ease of "coming out about it." whether a victim or another dude at the party, people are generally incentivized to shut the fuck up. dr ford is a great example. think she wanted this shitshow? 

this is why women vastly under-report sex crimes. "well, i got drunk at a party and a bunch of guys used my body for their sexual gratification, but i was too drunk to remember all of them" quickly becomes "well, what was she expecting? what was she wearing? did she know what those boys were capable of before downing her gin and roofie?" it becomes a total referendum on the victim, her (or his) motivation, and his/her expectations for going to the hotel room, the bedroom at the party, or drinking the spiked punch. 

and if you were at the party, would you be first in line to say "yeah, i was there, they ran a train on that girl, and no, i didn't do anything to stop them"?

• Like 5

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Yea I wonder why people don’t want to come forward when the fucking President and half of Congress is calling them liars

Yep.

This entire process simply reinforces what we've known, and what women have been telling us, for years.  There's a damned good reason for a woman not to come forward with an accusation, ever -- she will be destroyed.  Sexual assault is awesome, it's an event that all but guarantees that you can be a victim TWICE!

• Like 3

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

If I knew, and didn't say anything I'd imagine I'd be reluctant (damned embarrassed) to tell as well.  But shit your parents probably knew where you were going, ours knew we were at parties, and which parties we were at. I'd be grilling my kid about this as soon as I read her allegation.

They're probably dead. These people are in their 50s.

Because it's been two hours?   And the punch allegations were already confirmed in the New Yorker article (search for punch):  https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/senate-democrats-investigate-a-new-allegation-of-sexual-misconduct-from-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaughs-college-years-deborah-ramirez
I personally try to avoid death threats. Just me. Takes a lot of courage to come forward.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.

This entire process simply reinforces what we've known, and what women have been telling us, for years.  There's a damned good reason for a woman not to come forward with an accusation, ever -- she will be destroyed.  Sexual assault is awesome, it's an event that all but guarantees that you can be a victim TWICE!

And the internet means that when comes come forward and are trashed by politicians and Trumpkins, that it’s going to hang around online forever.  

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Tell those women not to let their sons post dumbass shit in their yearbooks implying they were banging girls and drinking like crazy. 

I look at my yearbooks, and I see similar shit to what Kavanaugh posted.  And guess what?  I know for a fact those guys weren’t making that shit up. 

There's that one line in his yearbook "resume" that says "Judge -- have you boofed yet?" 

When I was HS "to boof" meant sticking it up the old Hershey Highway, to use another old term. And surely Judge is Mark. 

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Avenatti made a lot of false accusations, which Trump eventually admitted to.

ISWYDT

He's been dead on about everything he's predicted.  

For the record, Avenatti also predicted Trump won't finish this term.  

Edited by triplehorn

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You seemed to have missed the part where the GOP turned into the party of Trump, all Trump, and only Trump.  It is no longer a conventional political party.  It is a cult.  The base slavishly adores Trump.  Thus, in order to stay in the good graces of the base, so do all other GOP officials.  That's it, it's that simple.

yeah, but senate republicans wouldn't change their stripes for just a four year period. some of these old white dudes have been senators for 30-40 years. they know how to play the game and outlast an administration. i think there's something more to it. i don't know what. but there's something there.

• Like 1