Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

I suspect Kavanaugh's previous examples of perjury will be a highlight of the discussion tomorrow.  You can argue whether or not they are severe enough to disqulify him from the SCOTUS alone, but they will certainly shine a light on this man's willingness to twist the truth under oath.

Also, while this most recent allegation is definitely the most farfetched, the accuser has quite the resume to just throw away on a baseless claim.

I think Hugo's gonna get this one.  He was wrong about making it out of the weekend, but I think he's right that the hearing doesn't happen with the latest claim surfacing, and he pulls his nomination. 

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

How about one of the alleged other women who suffered at the Ocean Beach Qualuude Rape House?

Too bad the world will end if we don't hold a confirmation vote by the God-ordained time this Friday.  If only there were time to investigate.   Alas, no choice but to confirm. 

• Like 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

It's only Wednesday, at this rate you'll get what you want soon enough. I mean I think Avenatti is a publicity-seeking asshat but he said he had this sworn statement and he appears to have it, so I'm not sure it's safe to assume that the part in that statement claiming there are multiple corroborating witnesses willing to speak is false.

If so then he is done, obviously.

What is Avenatti's motivation to wait?  Why deliver part of a kill shot and not the whole thing?

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, why won't the co-conspirators corroborate the accusations? The mind truly boggles.

Yeah, again, that kind of blows me away.

Sexual assault often happens IN PRIVATE.  There's not going to be surveillance video, bystanders, etc.  The only people who know what happened are 1) the victim, 2) the perpetrator, and 3) any co-conspirator (say, his buddy in there cheering him on).

Who is going to "corroborate" the victim's accusation?  The perpetrator?  The co-conspirator?

The most that could be "corroborated" would be "she was at the party, and I saw her leave in a hurry."*  But depending on the party and her means of exit, and the fact that it was 30 years ago, may not be that memorable, so there likely wouldn't be corroboration.

*Which, by the way, happened to ME at a party in college.  Was dating a girl, she was playing BS head games -- I need you to pay more attention to me, now you're smothering me, why can't you bring me flowers, all that stuff.  Upstairs, in my room, I confronted her about it.  We fought.  I got mad as hell.  I called her the C word.  She ran out of my room, ran downstairs, and ran out of the house.  Lots of folks saw it.  Two guys immediately came up to my room and asked me WTF happened (they knew we'd been arguing).  I told them that I had enough, we argued, and I called her the C word.  They both said "welp, that'll do it."  And that was that.  But today, I couldn't even tell you who those guys were -- seriously, these were people I saw every day, and I can't tell you who exactly it was.

No one is saying she deserved anything.  But it is bizarre to know drugging and train rapes are going on at parties and then say you continued to go.  

Something new come out on rape trains in high school?

When I was in high school there was a story from the crosstown high school that the entire football team had pulled a train on one of the cheerleaders who was intoxicated. I remember thinking at the time, as a 17 year old, "wild" but obviously a very disturbing thing. This does happen.

Just now, horncyclist said:

Something new come out in high school?

When I was in high school there was a story from the crosstown high school that the entire football team had pulled a train on one of the cheerleaders who was intoxicated. I remember thinking at the time, as a 17 year old, "wild" but obviously a very disturbing thing. This does happen.

Every town has that, or similar, urban legend.

I am sure it has happened.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

No one is saying she deserved anything.  But it is bizarre to know drugging and train rapes are going on at parties and then say you continued to go.  

Ever been to a high school party that had an attendees list?  Maybe she just went to parties with her friends and was on guard when the rape bros showed up...

4 hours ago, horncyclist said:

WaPo article with Yale classmates saying the fox news interview was bullshit

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2018/09/25/ea5e50d4-c0eb-11e8-9005-5104e9616c21_story.html

“He’s trying to paint himself as some kind of choir boy,” said Brookes, a Republican and former pharmaceutical executive who recalled an encounter with a drunken Kavanaugh at a fraternity event. “You can’t lie your way onto the Supreme Court, and with that statement out, he’s gone too far. It’s about the integrity of that institution.”

This is the simple and logical reason why Kavanaugh should be out. 

A lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court should go to a person that has displayed impeccable character.  Does Kavanaugh need to have his life destroyed by being a handsy drunk 30 years ago? No, if that's as far as it went. But he definitely should not be appointed to the highest position possible in his field.  Over decades, a handful of people have the opportunity to be on the Supreme Court. It should be completely understandable that having the highest integrity should be a prerequisite for the position. 

I think some people read these stories, admit to themselves that they might have acted inappropriately in their formative years as well, and then get super defensive about it.  Those people don't deserve to lose their livelihoods over past indiscretions. They just shouldn't be confirmed to be a fucking Supreme Court judge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

After seeing Judge’s denial, Elizabeth Rasor, who met Judge at Catholic University and was in a relationship with him for about three years, said that she felt morally obligated to challenge his account that “ ‘no horseplay’ took place at Georgetown Prep with women.” Rasor stressed that “under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t reveal information that was told in confidence,” but, she said, “I can’t stand by and watch him lie.” In an interview with The New Yorker, she said, “Mark told me a very different story.” Rasor recalled that Judge had told her ashamedly of an incident that involved him and other boys taking turns having sex with a drunk woman. Rasor said that Judge seemed to regard it as fully consensual. She said that Judge did not name others involved in the incident, and she has no knowledge that Kavanaugh participated. But Rasor was disturbed by the story and noted that it undercut Judge’s protestations about the sexual innocence of Georgetown Prep. (Barbara Van Gelder, an attorney for Judge, said that he “categorically denies” the account related by Rasor. Van Gelder said that Judge had no further comment.)

12 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Totally agree.  Would be REALLY nice for someone other than an accuser(husband and therapist don't count) to provide some corroboration on any of these claims.

Wait . . . so corroborating victims don't count because they were victims too?  That's some serious legal mind rodeo you have going on there.

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is the part that gets me about this kind of thing. I also drank too much in high school (honestly drank more total in high school than college I would be willing to bet) but I don't remember any of the people I hung out with ever even discussing anything like this. It was simply not acceptable in any way. Based on statistics it's likely true that someone in our group sexually assaulted a girl or that one of the girls we knew was sexually assaulted, but I never heard anything about it. The concept of planning, executing, or even discussing someone else's plan to do something like that is just amazing to me.

Me too. I went to parties in HS where there was plenty of drinking. I never heard of this stuff going on. But at the same time, I can see where the girls my age would blame themselves for getting drunk and passing out not knowing what happened. Especially in the Mexican-Catholic culture, it was your own fault for putting yourself in that situation and it never would have happened if you weren't at the party. Most of us were catholic and if we have admitted to getting assaulted or raped we would have to admit to our parents we werent' virgins and that would scare us more than going to the cops.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sachick said:

Fuck off. Seriously. You're part of the problem.

It makes sense to you this lady knew about qualude punch and gang rapes but said fuck it and continued to attend the gang rape parties?

there can’t be a vote Friday with this out there.  She should testify.  

Also, how does the fbi miss this if it was so pervasive?  

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

After seeing Judge’s denial, Elizabeth Rasor, who met Judge at Catholic University and was in a relationship with him for about three years, said that she felt morally obligated to challenge his account that “ ‘no horseplay’ took place at Georgetown Prep with women.” Rasor stressed that “under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t reveal information that was told in confidence,” but, she said, “I can’t stand by and watch him lie.” In an interview with The New Yorker, she said, “Mark told me a very different story.” Rasor recalled that Judge had told her ashamedly of an incident that involved him and other boys taking turns having sex with a drunk woman. Rasor said that Judge seemed to regard it as fully consensual. She said that Judge did not name others involved in the incident, and she has no knowledge that Kavanaugh participated. But Rasor was disturbed by the story and noted that it undercut Judge’s protestations about the sexual innocence of Georgetown Prep. (Barbara Van Gelder, an attorney for Judge, said that he “categorically denies” the account related by Rasor. Van Gelder said that Judge had no further comment.)

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

This is the simple and logical reason why Kavanaugh should be out. 

A lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court should go to a person that has displayed impeccable character.  Does Kavanaugh need to have his life destroyed by being a handsy drunk 30 years ago? No, if that's as far as it went. But he definitely should not be appointed to the highest position possible in his field.  Over decades, a handful of people have the opportunity to be on the Supreme Court. It should be completely understandable that having the highest integrity should be a prerequisite for the position. 

I think some people read these stories, admit to themselves that they might have acted inappropriately in their formative years as well, and then get super defensive about it.  Those people don't deserve to lose their livelihoods over past indiscretions. They just shouldn't be confirmed to be a fucking Supreme Court judge.

If he was Cosbying women he absolutely deserves to lose his livelihood.  This is a mess at this point. 

Maybe strap everyone involved who is willing to a polygraph administered by the FBI. 

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The Penn St, Mich St, US Olympics, and Catholic priest scandals should give you the answer. There's something quite malignant in our culture that makes abuse victims very reluctant to come forward. I guess the last few days have shown that witnesses are also reluctant to dip their toes in those waters.

Edited by retread
  • Like 1

If I'm the Democrats, I stop protesting and stop asking for a delay.  If the Republicans want to rush this vote, let them.  It's obvious that this dude has skeletons upon skeletons in his closet, and if they are willing to put their name next to his before this story has fully developed, let them dig their own grave.

Plus, given his perjury and these sworn affidavits, he has probably already given enough reason for impeachment.  As soon as the left has a majority, which would almost assuredly be in about a month if Kavanaugh gets approved, they can impeach him and hold out for a liberal nominee.  

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It makes sense to you this lady knew about qualude punch and gang rapes but said fuck it and continued to attend the gang rape parties?

Jesus Christ.  It is ENTIRELY possible to attend a party and bring your own drink, not expecting someone to slip you a horse tranquilizer, ESPECIALLY in 1982, before such things were common.  It is entirely possible to expect that by not drinking the provided punch one would be immune from any unwanted intoxicants.

You seem overly willing to write off any testimony that might impugn Kavanaugh.  Methinks you doth protest too much.  Have a little dark past you care to share?  

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Why did Feinstein sit on them for so long and then leak at the last minute?

This is a really easy one to answer.  Ford asked for confidentiality.  Feinstein’s only recourse was to submit her letter to Grassley with Ford’s name name redacted.

Do you think that would have protected Dr. Ford’s identity? 

And it’s not like the GOP has a history of silencing women with damaging information.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Do you not remember what it was like being a teenager? 

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If I'm the Democrats, I stop protesting and stop asking for a delay.  If the Republicans want to rush this vote, let them.  It's obvious that this dude has skeletons upon skeletons in his closet, and if they are willing to put their name next to his before this story has fully developed, let them dig their own grave.

Plus, given his perjury and these sworn affidavits, he has probably already given enough reason for impeachment.  As soon as the left has a majority, which would almost assuredly be in about a month if Kavanaugh gets approved, they can impeach him and hold out for a liberal nominee.  

Strategically this is the right move within the Capitol. But they would lose a lot politically with their constituents if they don't continue to appear to be fighting Kavanaugh at every possible moment. That's why I think the best strategy overall is to keep fighting him and then simply use Republican support of Kavanaugh in their campaigns.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus Christ.  It is ENTIRELY possible to attend a party and bring your own drink, not expecting someone to slip you a horse tranquilizer, ESPECIALLY in 1982, before such things were common.  It is entirely possible to expect that by not drinking the provided punch one would be immune from any unwanted intoxicants.

You seem overly willing to write any testimony that might impugn Kavanaugh.  Methinks you doth protest too much.  Have a little dark past you care to share?  

I don’t disagree about the drink.  But it is bizarre to know gang rapes are happening at the parties and to keep going, right?

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yes, it makes sense to 116 year old me who just wanted to have fun and be part of the crowd. I could see myself still going. Because it won't happen to me. Things like that only happen to other people. I'm smarter than the girls than get caught up in those situations. I'm going to avoid the punch so it can't happen to me. If those boys are at the party, I'll avoid them. They're not part of my crowd anyways. Those girls were weak, I'm stronger and can fight them off.

The things you tell yourself are endless.

• Like 1