Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

9 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I’d put the line on Johnny sack having sexually assaulted multiple women in his life at -110.

This dipshit needs to be banned. He goes around and says that I need to be physically assaulted, that I smack around women and that Johnny is a rapist. Get this motherfucker off this board. You have an avatar of a cartoon dick. Are you trying to attract young boys you pedophile fuck. You like that accusation motherfucker. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

This dipshit needs to be banned. He goes around and says that I need to be physically assaulted, that I smack around women and that Johnny is a rapist. Get this motherfucker off this board. You have an avatar of a cartoon dick. Are you trying to attract young boys you pedophile fuck. You like that accusation motherfucker. 

Says the guy smearing a possible rape victim. 

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

if i ban him for that quote, i'm going to have to ban you too. i'll check with immamac and blacklab about how they'd like to handle.

13 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

Susan Collins expressed concern about Christine Ford's high school yearbook.  So I Googled Christine Ford's high school yearbook.

My, my, my.

Fringe right-wing news outlets are pushing a smear campaign designed to discredit Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who alleged President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her while they were in high school. The problem is, these narratives are fabricated.

Clippings from Scribe, Ford’s Holton-Arms High School yearbook, first appeared on Wednesday on an obscure conservative blog called Cult of the First Amendment. The clippings, from across three issues dating 1982 to 1984, describe underage drinking by teenage students and two instances in which students wore racially insensitive outfits.

The blog hypes the images of teenagers at parties and yearbook stories about boys to depict a culture of “binge drinking” and “promiscuity.” Yet Ford only appears in one photo, sitting beside another young girl at a Halloween party.

While the images do not negate Ford’s allegations, several fringe right-wing websites known for pushing hyper-partisan misinformation and conspiracies are using the yearbook to attack her character.

Good hustle, good effort

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

if i ban him for that quote, i'm going to have to ban you too. i'll check with immamac and blacklab about how they'd like to handle.

That was done to show by example how egregious his actions have been and that it’s been a pattern 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

So you don't like the way he posts, and your response is to do exactly what you are criticizing him for?   Be best. 

10 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

You were wrong and made an ass out of yourself about it.  And now you’re offended.  And get pos rep for it.  You represent the batshit far left crazy fucks who dominate this politics board quite well.  

Batshit far left crazy fuck >>>>>>>>>>> lying piece of shit sad sack far right traitor

(That means you, Johnny.)

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The rage you and Johnny both exhibit toward women who allege that they were sexually assaulted is entirely consistent with men who have a history of sexually assaulting women. You both have smeared her by name repeatedly on this board, and prejudged her claims to be false despite mounting evidence indicating that she is much more credible than Kavanaugh is.

Contrast that to my behavior, in which I have professed a belief that men who sexually assault women (or support sexually assaulting women) should get their asses kicked. If you think that's an objectionable belief that says a lot more about you than it does about me. I haven't named you or Johnny by your actual names. Hell, I don't even know who ya'll are beyond the fact that y'all are assholes with rage issues who have a problem with women who don't like being treated like objects.

And c'mon, my avatar is a thujone drawing. How can so many of you humorless conservative dipshits consistently fail to recognize that? It's not like it's new, I've had it since 2010.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

If this guy actually kept his calendar from high school, he really might have been a virgin as long as he claims.  He might also have skin suits made of women that he wears and tucks his dick under, though.

That is some serial killer shit.  

35 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

It doesn’t bother me one bit. He has DECADES of life lived as an adult that refute the smear job of saying he is a drunk cretin.

LOL.  So you don't think it impugns his character when he commits perjury?  Think carefully.  Could be a trap.

21 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

He does, but he’s not a conservative, so he’s safe. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You are telling me that east coast elite boarding schools had a bit of drinking, partying, and sex back in the 80s?  Truly shocking revelations. 

I hear you, but does that justify lying about it extensively today?  He's also lying about things from early adulthood unrelated to sexual misconduct.

*Llano enters surly politics board for first time since May or earlier*

Oh my, what an unproductive shitshow of keyboard warriors. Need to remind myself not to waste any time.

WashPo says womp womp.
828681c1732ab0c61438d66a7cb6adc3.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/california-professor-writer-of-confidential-brett-kavanaugh-letter-speaks-out-about-her-allegation-of-sexual-assault/2018/09/16/46982194-b846-11e8-94eb-3bd52dfe917b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.60678099caed

Enjoy your pissing match gents. I’ve always kinda liked the way Nero fiddles.

Meh, democratic long game.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/kavanaugh-second-sexual-allegation-latest/h_e5e0cb60d9db4ac5fbf58541a0cee49f

18 hr 32 min ago

Susan Collins: "I will be glued to the television set" during Thursday's hearing

From CNN's Manu Raju

Senator Susan Collins questioned the references reportedly made in Brett Kavanaugh's high school yearbook and said of Thursday's high-stakes hearing, "I will be glued to the television set."

Collins, a key swing vote that could sink or save Judge Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation to the Supreme Court, told CNN of the yearbook, "at the risk of sounding naive, I don't know what many of the references made ... There are so many rumors.. there are issues with Christine Ford's yearbook as well."

She added, "I don't know whether that's accurate or not. I don't know what to make of somebody's high school yearbook."

4 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

That is some serial killer shit.  

At this point, I’m just hoping Kavanaugh isn’t a full blown sociopath.  I read a take yesterday on Kavanaugh’s claims and how they line up with the allegations.  I rarely link anything from Slate because “muh left wing bias” but this was interesting.

Brett Kavanaugh and the Cruelty of Male Bonding

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-allegations-yearbook-male-bonding.html

For what it’s worth, and absent evidence or allegations to the contrary, I believe Brett Kavanaugh’s claim that he was a virgin through his teens. I believe it in part because it squares with some of the oddities I’ve had a hard time understanding about his alleged behavior: namely, that both allegations are strikingly different from other high-profile stories the past year, most of which feature a man and a woman alone. And yet both the Kavanaugh accusations share certain features: There is no penetrative sex, there are always male onlookers, and, most importantly, there’s laughter. In each case the other men—not the woman—seem to be Kavanaugh’s true intended audience. In each story, the cruel and bizarre act the woman describes—restraining Christine Blasey Ford and attempting to remove her clothes in her allegation, and in Deborah Ramirez’s, putting his penis in front of her face—seems to have been done in the clumsy and even manic pursuit of male approval. Even Kavanaugh’s now-notorious yearbook page, with its references to the “100 kegs or bust” and the like, seems less like an honest reflection of a fun guy than a representation of a try-hard willing to say or do anything as long as his bros think he’s cool. In other words: The awful things Kavanaugh allegedly did only imperfectly correlate to the familiar frame of sexual desire run amok; they appear to more easily fit into a different category—a toxic homosociality—that involves males wooing other males over the comedy of being cruel to women.

In both these accounts, Kavanaugh is laughing as he does something to a woman that disturbs or traumatizes her. Ford wrote in her letter to Sen. Dianne Feinstein, “Kavanaugh was on top of me while laughing with [Mark] Judge, who periodically jumped onto Kavanaugh. They both laughed as Kavanaugh tried to disrobe me in their highly inebriated state. With Kavanaugh’s hand over my mouth, I feared he may inadvertently kill me.”

“Brett was laughing,” Ramirez says in her account to the New Yorker. “I can still see his face, and his hips coming forward, like when you pull up your pants.” She recalled another male student shouting about the incident. “Somebody yelled down the hall, ‘Brett Kavanaugh just put his penis in Debbie’s face,’ ” she said.

If these allegations are true, one of the more shocking things about them is the extent to which the woman being mistreated exists in a room where the men are performing for each other—using the woman to firm up their own bond. The Kavanaugh yearbook is littered with dumb codes that seem to speak to exactly this tendency—stuff like “boofing” and “devil’s triangle” all suggest that what mattered to Kavanaugh was displaying club membership. The question is: At whose expense?

It goes without saying, I hope, that virgins are perfectly capable of doing everything Kavanaugh has so far been accused of. Offering a detail that personal was not only meant to be exculpatory in a specific sense; it was also deployed to counter an emerging image of Kavanaugh as a sleazy frat guy like his close friend and classmate Mark Judge. But he overshot the mark. If you’re going by his reactions in the Fox News interview, Kavanaugh’s wounded astonishment at the very existence of bad behavior would mean he couldn’t have known his good friend Mark Judge, who has written plenty about his own, very well at all. Kavanaugh’s strategy, in other words, was to present himself as all innocence: not just a virgin, but a virgin who’s never even heard of—let alone done!—some of the things he’s accused of. Everyone says so: “The women I knew in college and the men I knew in college said that it’s inconceivable that I could’ve done such a thing,” he said to Fox’s Martha MacCallum of Ramirez’s allegation.

This is an unwise thing to claim; first, because what people say you’re capable of isn’t actually proof of what you did or didn’t do, and second, because it happens to be untrue. One of Kavanaugh’s freshman year roommates, James Roche, expressed precisely the opposite view, saying he found Ramirez’s story credible and recalling that Kavanaugh “was a notably heavy drinker, even by the standards of the time, and that he became excessive and belligerent when he was very drunk.” Another unnamed former classmate in the New Yorker story also used the word belligerent in describing Kavanaugh when inebriated.

One thing we’ve learned about Kavanaugh, then, is that he perpetually overshoots. To put it bluntly, he lies. Rather than admit he was flawed, or made some mistakes he regrets, or simply acknowledge that different people might have seen him differently—as they demonstrably did—he’s doubling down on an unsustainable and untrue account of himself and his reputation. Under immense pressure and a bright spotlight, he claims that “the women I knew in college” and “the men I knew in college” (a large group!) will all vouch for him. This is injudicious. But it adds to an emerging profile of a man who will go to long lengths to get approval. It’s what Kavanaugh did when he accepted the nomination from Trump with a sycophantic speech that has in the months since he made it become a telling document of his exaggerated need to affirm the club he belongs to. He claimed he’d “witnessed firsthand” Trump’s “appreciation for the vital role of the American judiciary,” adding—in a burst of mendacious hyperbole—that “no president has ever consulted more widely or talked with more people from more backgrounds to seek input about a Supreme Court nomination.” And it’s what he did in that Fox interview: present himself as a friendly virgin who worked on school and service projects, and little else.

A man who runs on external approval runs into problems quickly. Kavanaugh’s strategy in the Fox interview was to portray himself as a public-spirited choirboy while sitting next to his kind-looking wife: He repeatedly and proudly referred to the high school friends who “produced overnight 65 women who knew me in high school.” He staked a lot on that letter, whose signatories attested that “he has behaved honorably and treated women with respect.”

Unfortunately for him, one of those much-invoked character witnesses—a woman named Renate Schroeder Dolphin, who offered her name in support of his—recently discovered how he, in turn, had used hers. The New York Times reported that Kavanaugh and a number of other graduates, including eight members of the football team, referred to themselves in the yearbook as “Renate Alumni.” The implication is obvious, and a poem from another guy’s page lays it out clearly: “You need a date/ and it’s getting late/ so don’t hesitate/ to call Renate.” When Kavanaugh included himself in this group in his yearbook page, I think we can all agree that he was neither a) “behaving honorably” as the letter attested, nor b) “treating women with dignity and respect,” as he repeatedly insisted in his Fox interview. This was not “being a good friend.” Much of what Kavanaugh said in that interview was disproved in the same day. This tells us something about how the man responds to incentives. Today, he needs to have been “a good friend” to women to be approved to the Supreme Court. Back then, he needed approval from his buddies, so he helped drag a girl’s name through the mud to get it. Today he needs to have been a virgin. Back then he needed to have slept with Renate. He’ll tell the truth as it needs to be, not as it is.

Many have wondered (purely as a matter of strategy) why Kavanaugh has issued such forceful denials. Most good lawyers would advise against locking oneself in quite so firmly. But one thing that might make a guy overconfident in his ability to bluff his way out is faith in the support of his in-group. It’s Omertà. If you deny wrongdoing as a united front, you’ll get away with it.

That’s where even this dumb yearbook entry thing becomes instructive: Kavanaugh was caught being cruel to a girl, and instead of owning up, he doubled down. It shows how boys who are cruel together lie together. This is why their denials are more emphatic than they need to be; each relies on the strength and intensity of the others. “Judge Kavanaugh and Ms. Dolphin attended one high school event together and shared a brief kiss good night following that event,” read a statement from Kavanaugh’s lawyer (she denies the kiss—I’ll take her word over his). “They had no other such encounter. The language from Judge Kavanaugh’s high school yearbook refers to the fact that he and Ms. Dolphin attended that one high school event together and nothing else.” Yeah, right. Four of the other players depicted in the “Renate alumni” photo issued a statement claiming that the phrase was “intended to allude to innocent dates or dance partners and were generally known within the community of people involved for over 35 years.” Before laughing at the absurdity of this, it’s worth reiterating that Renate did not know. One might then reasonably ask who the phrase “the community of people involved” includes.

How does the yearbook help us understand the other allegations against Kavanaugh? Well, for one thing, Kavanaugh’s admitted virginity shows how empty these rumors about Renate were. Whatever stories they circulated about her sexual behavior weren’t actually about her; to them she was less a person than a token you claim to gain status with your bros. That tells us something valuable about how Kavanaugh was willing to treat women when other guys were around. It also offers a clear window into how male networks like Kavanaugh’s work. If you get caught, you deny, and if you can’t, you manufacture explanations that may sound ridiculous to an outside audience. But you never break. His yearbook buddies tried to shelter him because sheltering him sheltered them.

The fatal flaw in the Republicans’ accusations of “conspiracy” is that if you wanted to falsely accuse someone of sexual misconduct, you’d likely choose something damning and unambiguous. You probably wouldn’t include—as both allegations against Kavanaugh do—witnesses in the room who were his friends. You wouldn’t (in Ramirez’s case) admit to having been drinking. You’d have no memory gaps, express no doubts or confusion, and you’d probably claim to have been raped. Instead, the stories that have arisen so far can only really be corroborated by the perpetrator’s pals.

These male witnesses universally remember nothing. Now, it’s possible they don’t remember because it never happened. Maybe they were too drunk to recall. Or maybe they’re tapping into a long tradition of male in-group protection, partly to avoid being implicated themselves. Mark Judge remembers nothing so much that he’s gone into hiding—his first and only comment to the journalist who tracked him down was, “How did you find me?” The other men Ramirez says were in the room at Yale also have “zero recollection.” It could be there’s just nothing to remember, but there are other possibilities, like a mutually exonerating code of male secrecy. Brett Kavanaugh is on the record instructing his buds to keep Omertà after a 2001 boat trip to Annapolis, Maryland—even from their wives. “Reminders to everyone to be very, very vigilant w/r/t confidentiality on all issues and all fronts, including with spouses,” he wrote after apologizing for a variety of things, including “growing aggressive after blowing still another game of dice.” By this time he wasn’t in high school. He was in the White House. [/spoiler]

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

At this point, I’m just hoping Kavanaugh isn’t a full blown sociopath.  I read a take yesterday on Kavanaugh’s claims and how they line up with the allegations.  I rarely link anything from Slate because “muh left wing bias” but this was interesting.

Brett Kavanaugh and the Cruelty of Male Bonding

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-allegations-yearbook-male-bonding.html

Image result for a&m corps bonfire

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....I know some pretty livid women. Including a woman who was the victim of a pretty horrific assault who was visibly shaken up by the news of the day, and had a man tell her “that was 35 years ago! They were probably just fooling around and now she regrets it!”

If you’re a woman who has been assaulted, the messaging remains pretty relentless: if you dare make an accusation, you won’t be believed, you’ll be mocked and belittled, and you will be put on trial, not the rapist.

This has nothing to do with “due process,” to which everyone is entitled. It’s about treating victims with decency and humanity.

Imagine being a woman who has been assaulted. Think about the message that they’re getting, loud and clear. That’s some fucked up shit.

Thank you. Is it any wonder why so many women don't report?

11 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Three former Yale Law School classmates who endorsed Supreme Court nominee Brett M. Kavanaugh called Tuesday for an investigation into allegations by two women that he engaged in sexual misconduct in the 1980s.

Kent Sinclair, Douglas Rutzen and Mark Osler were among roughly two dozen of Kavanaugh’s law school classmates who lauded Kavanaugh’s qualifications in an Aug. 27 letter to leaders of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Their support for an investigation came as Yale Law professor Akhil Amar — who taught Kavanaugh and testified on his behalf before the committee this month — also called for a probe into what he described as “serious accusations” from the women.

Kavanaugh has vehemently denied the charges. On Thursday, he is scheduled to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee along with one accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, who said he assaulted her at a party in high school.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/three-yale-law-school-classmates-who-endorsed-kavanaugh-call-for-investigation-into-sexual-misconduct-claims/2018/09/25/fabfc002-c10e-11e8-9005-5104e9616c21_story.html

This is a lesson to everyone to not just rubber stamp endorsements unless you really know someone.

11 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

These allegations are flimsy at best.  Maybe that changes if Ford shows up. 

Maybe? There is a damn thing she can say that will make you believe her.  You'll make an excuse for anything she presents to corroborate her story. I think even if he confessed to assault, you would say he was lying and was being forced to say it. You're part of the reason women don't speak up. You assume they're lying to ruin a man's reputation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sachick said:

Maybe? There is a damn thing she can say that will make you believe her.  You'll make an excuse for anything she presents to corroborate her story. I think even if he confessed to assault, you would say he was lying and was being forced to say it. You're part of the reason women don't speak up. You assume they're lying to ruin a man's reputation.

I hate to go “muh Russia” here but there is a parallel between 2016 interference skeptics, believing sexual assault victims, and climate change deniers. 

They all live on a “keep proving it” treadmill.

• Like 1

8 min ago

Chuck Grassley says GOP is using prosecutor to "de-politicize" hearing

c2779a46-7f97-43eb-9541-60ea20a3e42b.jpg

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley says that Republicans chose to use an outside counsel at tomorrow's hearing to “de-politicize”it.

News broke yesterday that republicans hired Arizona prosecutor Rachel Mitchell to question Christine Blasey Ford and Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh following concerns about how it would look to have the all-male GOP committee members questioning Ford.

Here's Grassley's tweet:

On behalf of Judic Cmte Rs a staff counsel w expertise prosecuting sex crimes will question Dr. Ford &Judge Kavanaugh. Why? to DE-POLITICIZE the hrg What we dont want is repeat of Dem grandstanding at Kavanaugh hrg This hrg deserves a serious approach, I hope my colleagues agree

2 minutes ago, sachick said:

Wrong.  I initially was open minded and wanted both to testify because one of them has done something inexcusable.  I became skeptical when the three eyewitnesses she identified said they had no idea what she was talking about.  I became further skeptical on the summary of the polygraph that said it confirmed Ford’s summary of the allegations — not the allegations — were correct.  I think if you want to use a lie detector test for to bolster credibility you must show what questions were asked. 

I am skeptical of her allegations.  Why did Feinstein sit on them for so long and then leak at the last minute?

I want to see both rigorously questioned tomorrow under oath and then judge credibility.  If it is more likely than not the allegations are true, he should be voted down 100-0.  Sunlight is the best disinfectant 

i am pleased they brought in an experienced sex crimes prosecutor to question both of them.  I think she will be fair and not partisan given her background.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I'll be very disappointed if we don't get at least one exclusive Kav interview on Tucker's White Power Hour

I really enjoyed Tucker’s show last night. He has upped his game considerably since his bow tie wearing days on Crossfire. Classic Crossfire with Pat Buchanan was great.

5 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

8 min ago

Chuck Grassley says GOP is using prosecutor to "de-politicize" hearing

c2779a46-7f97-43eb-9541-60ea20a3e42b.jpg

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley says that Republicans chose to use an outside counsel at tomorrow's hearing to “de-politicize”it.

News broke yesterday that republicans hired Arizona prosecutor Rachel Mitchell to question Christine Blasey Ford and Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh following concerns about how it would look to have the all-male GOP committee members questioning Ford.

Here's Grassley's tweet:

On behalf of Judic Cmte Rs a staff counsel w expertise prosecuting sex crimes will question Dr. Ford &Judge Kavanaugh. Why? to DE-POLITICIZE the hrg What we dont want is repeat of Dem grandstanding at Kavanaugh hrg This hrg deserves a serious approach, I hope my colleagues agree

That makes no sense. The Dems are still asking their own questions.   It's only the Rs that are checking out and outsourcing their responsibilities.