Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

Both side attack.  The process tomorrow seems fine and we will go ahead and vote.  No big deal about how any of this is being handled.  Listen and have an open mind.  Weak ass sauce...again.  

subtle message in that speech.  “No matter what happens, if Kavanaugh goes through, it will always have a cloud of doubt.”

That’s a decent excuse not to confirm Kavanaugh. 

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, but that requires some strong political acumen and instincts. something has reduced both of those in modern republicans in the senate. even the guys retiring with nothing to lose aren't going scorched earth. it doesn't make sense, they should be the bulldogs against the trump administrations stupider actions. why aren't collins and murkowski being forthright? none of it makes sense.

I've heard it's because Collins, Murkowski, Flake and Corker are worried about not being able to cash in working for GOP think tanks and lobbying firms, etc., if they piss in the well on their way out. Seems like the Dems would be more than happy to take them in for their post-DC cash-ins.  

Yeah, really goes without saying. 
The kids never deserve any of this but that shouldn’t keep anyone running away from the truth when we’re dealing with a Supreme Court seat.
My coworker's daughter was in the same basketball team as Kavanaugh's. She's getting some hard questions right now. "Mom, did X's dad really do this?"

Just now, Mack Tripper said:

85baad1dc3c400f20c1cda4208c8e9bd.png

80e74d24a181ddf6a228d30a8ff6c4d0.png

Lindsay going full Johnny Sack.

boy howdy, is he going to regret those tweets.

and he's a perfect example of what i'm talking about upthread. what does he get out of this kind of defense? AT WORST, just shut he fuck up. invoke "the process" or whatever if you must. but this? this is the kind of suspicious wagon-circling that i'm talking about. it makes no sense.

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I've heard it's because Collins, Murkowski, Flake and Corker are worried about not being able to cash in working for GOP think tanks and lobbying firms, etc., if they piss in the well on their way out. Seems like the Dems would be more than happy to take them in for their post-DC cash-ins.  

Collins wants to run for governor in 2022 if the Democrat wins in November and she knows she's fucking toast in 2020

Flake wants to run for POTUS when Trumpism "passes"

Just now, hayden_horn said:

and he's a perfect example of what i'm talking about upthread. what does he get out of this kind of defense? AT WORST, just shut he fuck up. invoke "the process" or whatever if you must. but this? this is the kind of suspicious wagon-circling that i'm talking about. it makes no sense.

If the Democrats don't field a strong female candidate in 2020 against Graham, they're fucking idiots.

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

i have a hard time thinking that this would be impossible in a post-trump world, despite rocking trump's boat. surely they have to see that the fucking goose is cooked.

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Listening to Kavanaugh on Fox the other night, it seemed like he thought he could get away with telling Trumpian lies. Maybe Lindsey feels the same way.

Edited by retread

Just now, retread said:

Listening to Kavanaugh on Fox the other night, it seemed like he thought he could get away with telling Trumpian lies. Maybe Lindsey feels the same way.

There's kompremat on Lindsey.  

Edited by lemonlime
Edit to add: and probably on Kavanaugh too

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

subtle message in that speech.  “No matter what happens, if Kavanaugh goes through, it will always have a cloud of doubt.”

That’s a decent excuse not to confirm Kavanaugh. 

For whom?  I think it's obvious a "cloud of doubt" has been there for several days and it hasn't slowed anything down.  It's not a good enough excuse for the R base right now.  A real excuse is, "There seems to be a mounting pile of accusations that I believe needs to be sorted through and investigated."  He didn't say anything like that.  Maybe he's saying that so he can say I told you so when the Kavanaugh impeachment starts in a couple of years.  

15 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Sadly, I have friends that did this kind of thing on a regular basis too.  They even had the same, "No means yes, and yes means anal", motto that BK's group did. 

They shared an apartment in Dallas they nicknamed, the "butt hut".  One guy would bring a girl home from a club, she'd get passed out drunk (or drugged) and a bunch of guys would line up to take a turn.  They thought it was really funny and would brag about it all the time.  I thought it was really disgusting and actually stopped being friends with them.  These were some of my closest friends that I'd known since junior high.  I often wonder if peer pressure would have driven me to participate if I hadn't already moved to Austin to go to UT.

I'd like to think the answer would be "no", but it was a different time.  We didn't think about rape and sexual assault the same way we do now.   To us, rape meant that a woman was grabbed off the street, or someone broke into her apartment and forced her to have sex.  We didn't have the term "date rape" yet.  If we had, I'm certain most of us from that era would be guilty.  I know I certainly had sex with drunk women in HS and college who probably wouldn't have consented if they were sober...but to us, that was just "getting lucky".   Hell, I'd bet that most of the girls I ever partied didn't consider it rape at the time, but I'd bet they all felt dirty and embarrassed afterward.  It certainly wasn't anything they'd want to talk about.

I'm ashamed of how I treated women in my teens and early 20's, but I can't act like it never happened.  That's really what pisses me off about BK.  He wants to deny it happened at all, which is becoming ever more difficult with all the new accusations coming out.  I would have been much more supportive if he'd come out and admitted what he did and showed remorse for the victims.  But he, Johnny Sack, and the GOP are basically just returning to the "she was asking for it" line of thought. 

Fuck them

Thank you for that post.  It's not my story, but I've seen similar in close circles.

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

What the FUCK happened to Graham?  Did he have a Phineas Gage moment and nobody noticed?  His transformation over the past few months to the new Michael Cohen has been one of the strangest subplots of this whole drama.

His moral compass died. 

Just now, Dertyberd said:

For whom?  I think it's obvious a "cloud of doubt" has been there for several days and it hasn't slowed anything down.  It's not a good enough excuse for the R base right now.  A real excuse is, "There seems to be a mounting pile of accusations that I believe needs to be sorted through and investigated."  He didn't say anything like that.  Maybe he's saying that so he can say I told you so when the Kavanaugh impeachment starts in a couple of years.  

It’s Flake telegraphing he’s probably going to be a no vote.  Why give that speech if you’re not going to back it up?  Oh wait, it’s Jeff Flake and he never backs his shit up...until he does. 

Regardless, that speech did not help Kavanaugh at all.

1 hour ago, sachick said:

Yes, it makes sense to 116 year old me who just wanted to have fun and be part of the crowd. I could see myself still going. Because it won't happen to me. Things like that only happen to other people. I'm smarter than the girls than get caught up in those situations. I'm going to avoid the punch so it can't happen to me. If those boys are at the party, I'll avoid them. They're not part of my crowd anyways. Those girls were weak, I'm stronger and can fight them off.

The things you tell yourself are endless.

So at 16 you would attend 10 parties where everyone knew women were being drugged and gang raped to fit in?

I certainly wouldn’t.  I might not have had the courage to report it.  But after the first gang rape I wouldn’t attend another.  Or 9 more like this lady alleges.   

And this lady is three years older than Kavanaugh.  Meaning he was 14-17 during the time period and she was 17-20.  

People are trying to malign me saying I’m claiming she deserved it.  Not at all.  If she’s telling the truth, string him up.  I just can’t get over going to parties ten times where gang rapes were happening.  It is hard to believe.  

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thank you for that post.  It's not my story, but I've seen similar in close circles.

When I was around 20 this loony tunes chick wanted to nail my good friend and then me. She was stone cold sober -- just a freak. I peaced out -- couldn't get past the idea of sticking my thang up where my buddy's jizz was still in there. And I don't know how these dudes can get past that because it seems kinda gay. 

• Like 1

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

So at 16 you would attend 10 parties where everyone knew women were being drugged and gang raped to fit in?

I certainly wouldn’t.  I might not have had the courage to report it.  But after the first gang rape I wouldn’t attend another.  Or 9 more like this lady alleges.   

And this lady is three years older than Kavanaugh.  Meaning he was 14-17 during the time period and she was 17-20.  

People are trying to malign me saying I’m claiming she deserved it.  Not at all.  If she’s telling the truth, string him up.  I just can’t get over going to parties ten times where gang rapes were happening.  It is hard to believe.  

Keep digging that hole.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Sadly, I have friends that did this kind of thing on a regular basis too.  They even had the same, "No means yes, and yes means anal", motto that BK's group did. 

They shared an apartment in Dallas they nicknamed, the "butt hut".  One guy would bring a girl home from a club, she'd get passed out drunk (or drugged) and a bunch of guys would line up to take a turn.  They thought it was really funny and would brag about it all the time.  I thought it was really disgusting and actually stopped being friends with them.  These were some of my closest friends that I'd known since junior high.  I often wonder if peer pressure would have driven me to participate if I hadn't already moved to Austin to go to UT.

I'd like to think the answer would be "no", but it was a different time.  We didn't think about rape and sexual assault the same way we do now.   To us, rape meant that a woman was grabbed off the street, or someone broke into her apartment and forced her to have sex.  We didn't have the term "date rape" yet.  If we had, I'm certain most of us from that era would be guilty.  I know I certainly had sex with drunk women in HS and college who probably wouldn't have consented if they were sober...but to us, that was just "getting lucky".   Hell, I'd bet that most of the girls I ever partied didn't consider it rape at the time, but I'd bet they all felt dirty and embarrassed afterward.  It certainly wasn't anything they'd want to talk about.

I'm ashamed of how I treated women in my teens and early 20's, but I can't act like it never happened.  That's really what pisses me off about BK.  He wants to deny it happened at all, which is becoming ever more difficult with all the new accusations coming out.  I would have been much more supportive if he'd come out and admitted what he did and showed remorse for the victims.  But he, Johnny Sack, and the GOP are basically just returning to the "she was asking for it" line of thought. 

Fuck them

On this forum, you will get up voted and thanked for admitting to having drunk sex with girls who wouldn't have consented if sober as long as you end your post with "fuck the GOP and Johnny Sack."  

this guy hasn't been a teenager making teenager decision in like 50 years.

newsflash: teenagers are dumb. they hang with their friends, and probably, on some reptilian teen-brain level, convince themselves that the girls either want it or deserve it or both, and that of course they would never do that (dude), or that it could never happen to them (chick). they hang with their friends and make excuse for being there, but they go to the parties. as they age, they have some of these memories and their now-mature brains go "wait, wtf, bad shit was at those parties. why the hell did you go to those parties?"

and they recognize, as you do, that they were really flirting with danger.

but teens don't process danger the way a 30+ year old person does.

it's science.

Just now, hayden_horn said:

this guy hasn't been a teenager making teenager decision in like 50 years.

newsflash: teenagers are dumb. they hang with their friends, and probably, on some reptilian teen-brain level, convince themselves that the girls either want it or deserve it or both, and that of course they would never do that (dude), or that it could never happen to them (chick). they hang with their friends and make excuse for being there, but they go to the parties. as they age, they have some of these memories and their now-mature brains go "wait, wtf, bad shit was at those parties. why the hell did you go to those parties?"

and they recognize, as you do, that they were really flirting with danger.

but teens don't process danger the way a 30+ year old person does.

it's science.

So I’m drunk now and like 68 years old?  My parents aren’t even that old. 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

But you believe that three accomplished, professional women would risk throwing everything away to lie to Congress under oath, simply to have Kavanaugh replaced by a different staunch conservative? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't think it's hard to believe at all.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Did you ever attend a high school party?  It's not like there's a bouncer out front with a list.  For all we know, Kavanaugh and crew were that group that shows up at midnight when everyone is already a little loose.  Did you honestly know who was going to be at every high school party before you arrived?

On a more serious note, there are millions of examples of spouses VOLUNTARILY sticking with a significant other for years while being beaten. 

So, yes, it is absolutely believable that a high-schooler could find herself in a situation with this group numerous times, even unintentionally.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

So I’m drunk now and like 68 years old?  My parents aren’t even that old. 

that's all the response you've got to that post? 

last night was a joke, given the hour and the fact you'd had some drinks after hitting golf balls. this afternoon, it's a hyperbole based on you posting like a 68 year old, yes.

5 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

On this forum, you will get up voted and thanked for admitting to having drunk sex with girls who wouldn't have consented if sober as long as you end your post with "fuck the GOP and Johnny Sack."  

And in the GOP, you'll get elected president or confirmed to the Supreme Court for similar conduct as long as you lie about it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

Trump probably was kind enough to have someone tip Lindsey off to what the Russians found 

Catch my drift ?

I dont buy the Lindsey Graham kompromat theory even though it makes the most logical sense. 

Graham is elite level natural politician.  He can overcome almost anything.  My theory on Graham is he’s all about staying in Trump’s inner circle.  All the crazy shit he’s saying and tweeting is intended for an audience of ONE.

Regardless of what happens is there any scenario where the process does not get uglier?  I don't think so.

I don't know how people can expect the other side to behave when they act so ugly.  Even on this board, where there are no real consequences, people act very ugly.  I don't see how it gets turned around.

• Like 2

When I was around 20 this loony tunes chick wanted to nail my good friend and then me. She was stone cold sober -- just a freak. I peaced out -- couldn't get past the idea of sticking my thang up where my buddy's jizz was still in there. And I don't know how these dudes can get past that because it seems kinda gay. 

I’m convinced that gang bang guys/ guys that do 3 ways have the gay.

11 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

Yeah, I don't see how you give that post pos rep without feeling dirty. I mean I appreciate the honesty, I guess, but the guy just admitted to sexually assaulting girls.

6 minutes ago, Stros said:

The safe space. They will neg you now.

Can you think of any reasons why people disagree with Aphelion but don't neg him versus disagreeing with you and negging with great gusto? Any reasons at all?

Edited by Huckleberry

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I dont buy the Lindsey Graham kompromat theory even though it makes the most logical sense. 

Graham is elite level natural politician.  He can overcome almost anything.  My theory on Graham is he’s all about staying in Trump’s inner circle.  All the crazy shit he’s saying and tweeting is intended for an audience of ONE.

Is he really in Trump's' inner circle?  Because that very well could lead to worse exposure than anything.  You're either inside, or you're outside, and his bootlicking is beyond excessive. 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Keep ignoring common sense. 

It's called peer pressure you cro-magnon idiot.  Do you think these girls were telling their friends they got raped?  In HS the biggest concern is being accepted.  If you think a teenage girl, particularly an underclassman, is going to stay home watching M.A.S.H. reruns with her parents instead of going to a party with her friends, you're delusional.  She would convince herself that she was at fault and that she just needed to "be more careful". 

I mean, just look at your posts...it's 2018 and you're still blaming her for something when she was16 years old...how much shit do you think she would have gotten for coming out with this in 1982? 

Where's YOUR common sense?