Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, but senate republicans wouldn't change their stripes for just a four year period. some of these old white dudes have been senators for 30-40 years. they know how to play the game and outlast an administration. i think there's something more to it. i don't know what. but there's something there.

The guys that have been there 30-40 years built their careers on changing their stripes every four to eight years.

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, but senate republicans wouldn't change their stripes for just a four year period. some of these old white dudes have been senators for 30-40 years. they know how to play the game and outlast an administration. i think there's something more to it. i don't know what. but there's something there.

If it were just a self-preservation decision based on internal polling, you'd think you see some money going for the underdog. It's like all of these Rs are betting on the favorite.

Then you see guys like Rand Paul white knighting for the Russkies. Has to be more to it -- e.g. kompromat.

Edited by retread

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

Your suspicion is accurate, and it implicates many.

Just now, David Dennison said:

They're probably dead. These people are in their 50s.

No they're not. Their parents will be in the early to mid 80's I'm sure more than a few are still kicking around.  And that was just an aside question, based on what I or my wife would  have been doing before it even got to this woman's accusation.

As usual the usual suspects read what they want from a post, based on who posts it, instead of reading what's actually typed, and take it for what it is, just questions about the circumstances.  Goooooo my Team !!!

The charge may be 2 hours old, but the his story has been going on for weeks now. So anybody who's heard how Kavanaugh has painted himself, and had a different picture of the guy would have said BS before today (you'd have thought).  What would any of you have done ?  Kept yer mouth shut cause yer scared of being called a liar ?

That is basically my point, why haven't more people who were at the parties or heard the rumors in school come forward ?  Her account reads like it was going on in front of people and everyone knew to not drink the punch.  I know I know this means I'm trying to blow off the accusation....

4 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Counterpoint from a female highschool classmate on facebook yesterday

Kavanaugh.png

I have a son.  I know of what she speaks.  BUT, what these people don't get is that there's something between "believe every accusation immediately, no matter what," and "utterly attack and trash anyone who comes forward with an accusation."  That space is called "take your time, gather complete evidence, and make a reasoned judgment."

Because the opposite extreme of her post is EXACTLY what is happening: without corroborating evidence, every accuser is a liar, and should be trashed as such.

We're actually DOING that extreme, right now (well, the GOP and its fan boys are).  From everyone else, most all of what I've seen is some flavor of "let's hear things out, and see what the facts turn out to be."

7 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Counterpoint from a female highschool classmate on facebook yesterday

Kavanaugh.png

Sexual assault reports end up being true 90-98% of the time.   https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/Publications_NSVRC_Overview_False-Reporting.pdf

Hiding behind "no man is safe!!!!" is typical Republican fear-mongering.

And to be clear, no Democrats are calling Kavanaugh guilty.  They are merely asking for these accusations to be investigated.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The allegation is this was going on in the parties, the punch was spiked and people knew to avoid it.  Why aren't we seeing more people coming forward to say yeah we saw this, especially women.  

7 minutes ago, sachick said:

Give it time.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.

This entire process simply reinforces what we've known, and what women have been telling us, for years.  There's a damned good reason for a woman not to come forward with an accusation, ever -- she will be destroyed.  Sexual assault is awesome, it's an event that all but guarantees that you can be a victim TWICE!

so @Onboard 2.0, you seem to really struggle with this concept.

let me use another example. remember how black folks used to talk about getting pulled over for DWB, and having police treat them differently than other folks? how they would get the stinkeye for being in the wrong neighborhood? how people would call the cops on them for everyday stuff?

in the post modern age, we now know this shit to be true.

it's also happening with women.

i don't know what page of this massive thread i posted it, but someone (it might have been you) was asking why she waited this long, and what does she get out of it? look no further than what sachick said. "give it time." 

if nothing else has been proven by the #metoo movement it's that women are largely degraded when they come forward, until more and more accusers come forward, emboldened by the courage of the first, or the second, or the third. that's the WHOLE REASON for the hashtag.

that's what i said earlier in the thread. "maybe she feels that she wasn't the only one, and that by taking a brave step forward, more women may feel emboldened to tell their kavanaugh story."

guess what's happening. #metoo in action. that's what.

No they're not. Their parents will be in the early to mid 80's I'm sure more than a few are still kicking around.  And that was just an aside question, based on what I or my wife would  have been doing before it even got to this woman's accusation.
As usual the usual suspects read what they want from a post, based on who posts it, instead of reading what's actually typed, and take it for what it is, just questions about the circumstances.  Goooooo my Team !!!

The charge may be 2 hours old, but the his story has been going on for weeks now. So anybody who's heard how Kavanaugh has painted himself, and had a different picture of the guy would have said BS before today (you'd have thought).  What would any of you have done ?  Kept yer mouth shut cause yer scared of being called a liar ?
That is basically my point, why haven't more people who were at the parties or heard the rumors in school come forward ?  Her account reads like it was going on in front of people and everyone knew to not drink the punch.  I know I know this means I'm trying to blow off the accusation....
Again, people generally do not like death threats and having to move out of their home. What's so hard to understand about that?

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.

This entire process simply reinforces what we've known, and what women have been telling us, for years.  There's a damned good reason for a woman not to come forward with an accusation, ever -- she will be destroyed.  Sexual assault is awesome, it's an event that all but guarantees that you can be a victim TWICE!

Not just women. This allegation paints a picture that girls and guys saw this shit,  and knew what was going on. Not just the victims, who some of which may not to this day know what happened to them.  This isn't victim mentality it's more like herd mentality.

Not just women. This allegation paints a picture that girls and guys saw this shit,  and knew what was going on. Not just the victims, who some of which may not to this day know what happened to them.  This isn't victim mentality it's more like herd mentality.
Men also do not like death threats and moving out of their home. What the fuck is wrong with you?

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I have a son.  I know of what she speaks.  BUT, what these people don't get is that there's something between "believe every accusation immediately, no matter what," and "utterly attack and trash anyone who comes forward with an accusation."  That space is called "take your time, gather complete evidence, and make a reasoned judgment."

Because the opposite extreme of her post is EXACTLY what is happening: without corroborating evidence, every accuser is a liar, and should be trashed as such.

We're actually DOING that extreme, right now (well, the GOP and its fan boys are).  From everyone else, most all of what I've seen is some flavor of "let's hear things out, and see what the facts turn out to be."

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Sexual assault reports end up being true 90-98% of the time.   https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/Publications_NSVRC_Overview_False-Reporting.pdf

Hiding behind "no man is safe!!!!" is typical Republican fear-mongering.

The point I was addressing Hugo's meme saying "All women are going to crush Congress now."  I'm just saying right wing voter gonna right wing voter, no matter what.  It's not about the accuracy of accusation.  It's about votes.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Really?  Have you SEEN what has been done with respect to anyone who has dared to speak negatively about Kavanaugh?

Are you so sure you'd sticky your head above the parapet on this one, knowing that it would invite a hail of .50 cal rounds from the Trump cabal and its minions?  You want every detail of YOUR life dragged through the mud to the whole world?  "Sure, Onboard says that he saw Kavanaugh being rapey....but Onboard cheated on his wife!"  Or hell, as the accusations against the accusers are not confined to the truth, at all (seriously, read some of the out and out lies that have been disseminated about Ford), "Onboard is a pedophile who molested a little boy just last year!" (posted with a picture of you holding some kids hand at a school event, implying that you molested him -- nevermind that he's your own son).

The price of speaking out against those in power may well be....everything.  You sure you'd do it?

Maybe she didn't say anything until now because she tried to forget, tried to not to think about it and suddenly BAM! his face is plastered all over the TV/newspapers/internet as the next SCOTUS judge, where he's talking about what a great family man he is, such a virtuous churchgoing man who coaches his daughter's basketball teams, and she KNOWS none of that shit is the Brett Kavanaugh who held her down, covered her mouth and tried to rip her clothes off.

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Again, have your read the New Yorker article?   Or the stuff from Yale classmates today about how Kavanaugh lied on TV the other night?   There are multiple corroborating accounts of, at minimum, Kavanaugh as an abusive drunk in high school and college. 

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

The point I was addressing Hugo's meme saying "All women are going to crush Congress now."  I'm just saying right wing voter gonna right wing voter, no matter what.  It's not about the accuracy of accusation.  It's about votes.

Oh, yeah, 538 had a good article on this recently.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-biggest-divides-on-the-kavanaugh-allegations-are-by-party-not-gender/

Americans are deeply divided in how they view accusations of sexual assault, sexual harassment and other kinds of sexual misconduct. They’re divided on broader issues about gender and the role of women in American society. But, with Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford set to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee this week and new allegations coming out against Kavanaugh on Sunday, it’s worth noting that the biggest divide is not between men and women on these issues, but between Democrats and Republicans.

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

look, dude, i know this is hard for people with a pro-R, anti-D bias to sort through, but, for the most part, people go along to get along. how many in that high school class has even thought about brett kavanaugh in the past 30 years? in fact, people in high school get along to go along as well. people actively and routinely look the other way and mind their own business, when it comes to bullying, drinking, even fighting, and even, yeah, sexual assault as long as they can retain their plausible deniability. 

i know we're all billy badasses who would have broken up a perceived gang rape. but most high schoolers are just going to sip their drink, assume the chick in the bedroom is a slut and wants all that dick. even moreso in 19fucking82. like i said either here or elsewhere, my mom was still getting sexually harassed by her boss during this time period ( i think my original reference was the early 90s, but the point still stands 10 years earlier), and we had 80s movies like revenge of the nerds and animal house tweaking their nose at fucking drunk girls, because it must be okay, right?

also, you kind of overestimate the ease of "coming out about it." whether a victim or another dude at the party, people are generally incentivized to shut the fuck up. dr ford is a great example. think she wanted this shitshow? 

this is why women vastly under-report sex crimes. "well, i got drunk at a party and a bunch of guys used my body for their sexual gratification, but i was too drunk to remember all of them" quickly becomes "well, what was she expecting? what was she wearing? did she know what those boys were capable of before downing her gin and roofie?" it becomes a total referendum on the victim, her (or his) motivation, and his/her expectations for going to the hotel room, the bedroom at the party, or drinking the spiked punch. 

and if you were at the party, would you be first in line to say "yeah, i was there, they ran a train on that girl, and no, i didn't do anything to stop them"?

And police and prosecutors even today likely frequently react the same way Johnny Sack has.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

so @Onboard 2.0, you seem to really struggle with this concept.

let me use another example. remember how black folks used to talk about getting pulled over for DWB, and having police treat them differently than other folks? how they would get the stinkeye for being in the wrong neighborhood? how people would call the cops on them for everyday stuff?

in the post modern age, we now know this shit to be true.

it's also happening with women.

i don't know what page of this massive thread i posted it, but someone (it might have been you) was asking why she waited this long, and what does she get out of it? look no further than what sachick said. "give it time." 

if nothing else has been proven by the #metoo movement it's that women are largely degraded when they come forward, until more and more accusers come forward, emboldened by the courage of the first, or the second, or the third. that's the WHOLE REASON for the hashtag.

that's what i said earlier in the thread. "maybe she feels that she wasn't the only one, and that by taking a brave step forward, more women may feel emboldened to tell their kavanaugh story."

guess what's happening. #metoo in action. that's what.

There's no struggle on my end the struggle is you who keep saying women are afraid to come forward, when it was both the guys and girls who were seeing this happen. Her account reads like it was going on all the time at every party.

So unless it was just K, his cohorts and girls this would be general class knowledge.  

No one has answered (yet) what they'd do now if they knew about what he was doing back then.  And knew what he was saying about his choir boy school days.  

Lots of beating of the chest, about why aren't the Senators doing more to get to the bottom of this though, which is typical for Internet warriors.

There's no struggle on my end the struggle is you who keep saying women are afraid to come forward, when it was both the guys and girls who were seeing this happen. Her account reads like it was going on all the time at every party.
So unless it was just K, his cohorts and girls this would be general class knowledge.  
No one has answered (yet) what they'd do now if they knew about what he was doing back then.  And knew what he was saying about his choir boy school days.  
Lots of beating of the chest, about why aren't the Senators doing more to get to the bottom of this though, which is typical for Internet warriors.
Death threats.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It must suck to be Kavanaugh right now.  He probably wants out of this shit more than anyone but he’s Trump’s puppet so he has to play along until the Dear Leader gives the go ahead. 

CR punching bag Jeff Flake about to speak on Senate floor about Kavanaugh. 

Worse to be his kids.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It must suck to be Kavanaugh right now.  He probably wants out of this shit more than anyone but he’s Trump’s puppet so he has to play along until the Dear Leader gives the go ahead. 

His kids don't deserve this.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  Humans are fundamentally lazy.  If there’s a mental shortcut we can take to avoid thinking hard about something, most of us will take it.  That’s why emotions trump logic.  

Sometimes that shortcut helps.  Fleeing in terror from a predator makes a lot more sense than deliberating on the risks and options of standing around while a tiger stalks you.   

But knee jerk reactions are problematic in cases of sensitive allegations like this.  Here, careful deliberation and logic are in order.  Both sides (yes both sides) have their knee jerk camps. But only one side is indulging their instinctive recklessness by trying to push this through without any deliberation.  The Dems are asking for a careful process and a weighing of testimony from both sides, which is precisely the appropriate response.  

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Both sides. Human beings with children. Blah. Blah. Blah.

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

so, you didn't read my whole post, huh?

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maybe at the time they thought it was gang consensual sex?  If you don't really know the girl is intoxicated, you don't have much to go on as far as "rape" is concerned.

I remember hearing stories about girls with multiple guys in HS.  That wasn't my crowd, I walked a fine line between the nerds, the jocks, and the bandos, but mostly didn't hang out with the total party animals, so I never really saw it, but I heard about it.  I don't know if I would have ever really connected the dots that it might not have been consensual.  Sure, if I knew she was passed out, that's one thing, but otherwise?  At that age?  I don't really think so.

Sadly, I have friends that did this kind of thing on a regular basis too.  They even had the same, "No means yes, and yes means anal", motto that BK's group did. 

They shared an apartment in Dallas they nicknamed, the "butt hut".  One guy would bring a girl home from a club, she'd get passed out drunk (or drugged) and a bunch of guys would line up to take a turn.  They thought it was really funny and would brag about it all the time.  I thought it was really disgusting and actually stopped being friends with them.  These were some of my closest friends that I'd known since junior high.  I often wonder if peer pressure would have driven me to participate if I hadn't already moved to Austin to go to UT.

I'd like to think the answer would be "no", but it was a different time.  We didn't think about rape and sexual assault the same way we do now.   To us, rape meant that a woman was grabbed off the street, or someone broke into her apartment and forced her to have sex.  We didn't have the term "date rape" yet.  If we had, I'm certain most of us from that era would be guilty.  I know I certainly had sex with drunk women in HS and college who probably wouldn't have consented if they were sober...but to us, that was just "getting lucky".   Hell, I'd bet that most of the girls I ever partied didn't consider it rape at the time, but I'd bet they all felt dirty and embarrassed afterward.  It certainly wasn't anything they'd want to talk about.

I'm ashamed of how I treated women in my teens and early 20's, but I can't act like it never happened.  That's really what pisses me off about BK.  He wants to deny it happened at all, which is becoming ever more difficult with all the new accusations coming out.  I would have been much more supportive if he'd come out and admitted what he did and showed remorse for the victims.  But he, Johnny Sack, and the GOP are basically just returning to the "she was asking for it" line of thought. 

Fuck them

• Like 6

I am completely shocked to find out that a rich prep boy from an expensive private school partied in HS and tried to plow through whomever possible. Next your going to tell me that his prosecutor mom helped to cover up some of his indiscretions. 

Edited by shnsajax
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hill-To-Die-On.jpg

Just now, hayden_horn said:

so, you didn't read my whole post, huh?

He's not reading anything, including the corroborating accounts published by Ronan Farrow and others confirming that the drunken debauchery was general knowledge among classmates.   He's got his take and is sticking to it, facts be damned. 

17 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The guys that have been there 30-40 years built their careers on changing their stripes every four to eight years.

yeah, but that requires some strong political acumen and instincts. something has reduced both of those in modern republicans in the senate. even the guys retiring with nothing to lose aren't going scorched earth. it doesn't make sense, they should be the bulldogs against the trump administrations stupider actions. why aren't collins and murkowski being forthright? none of it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Sadly, I have friends that did this kind of thing on a regular basis too.  They even had the same, "No means yes, and yes means anal", motto that BK's group did. 

They shared an apartment in Dallas they nicknamed, the "butt hut".  One guy would bring a girl home from a club, she'd get passed out drunk (or drugged) and a bunch of guys would line up to take a turn.  They thought it was really funny and would brag about it all the time.  I thought it was really disgusting and actually stopped being friends with them.  These were some of my closest friends that I'd known since junior high.  I often wonder if peer pressure would have driven me to participate if I hadn't already moved to Austin to go to UT.

I'd like to think the answer would be "no", but it was a different time.  We didn't think about rape and sexual assault the same way we do now.   To us, rape meant that a woman was grabbed off the street, or someone broke into her apartment and forced her to have sex.  We didn't have the term "date rape" yet.  If we had, I'm certain most of us from that era would be guilty.  I know I certainly had sex with drunk women in HS and college who probably wouldn't have consented if they were sober...but to us, that was just "getting lucky".   Hell, I'd bet that most of the girls I ever partied didn't consider it rape at the time, but I'd bet they all felt dirty and embarrassed afterward.  It certainly wasn't anything they'd want to talk about.

I'm ashamed of how I treated women in my teens and early 20's, but I can't act like it never happened.  That's really what pisses me off about BK.  He wants to deny it happened at all, which is becoming ever more difficult with all the new accusations coming out.  I would have been much more supportive if he'd come out and admitted what he did and showed remorse for the victims.  But he, Johnny Sack, and the GOP are basically just returning to the "she was asking for it" line of thought. 

Fuck them

i guess this is an inappropriate time to say user name checks out?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Both side attack.  The process tomorrow seems fine and we will go ahead and vote.  No big deal about how any of this is being handled.  Listen and have an open mind.  Weak ass sauce...again.  

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, but that requires some strong political acumen and instincts. something has reduced both of those in modern republicans in the senate. even the guys retiring with nothing to lose aren't going scorched earth. it doesn't make sense, they should be the bulldogs against the trump administrations stupider actions. why aren't collins and murkowski being forthright? none of it makes sense.

This.  I'm running out of tin foil, but given BK's history, it seems to me there's probably plenty of blackmail material out there on him.  Enough to convince him to throw a few SCOTUS decisions Trump's way.