Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Neither you nor the other Republicans/Conservatives give a shit about LGBT people here or in elsewhere. 

Just shut up. 

Goodness gracious, how absurd.

This is why we're doomed.  Both sides believe the other side is evil to the core so there's no hope of any productive dialogue between the two.

I've got tons of deeply liberal friends and each of them are thoughtful, kind and decent folks.

I've got tons of deeply conservative friends and they are all thoughtful, kind and decent folks.

But often when both groups start talking about the other "side" as a whole, they lapse into these generalizations which employ the same vacuous, stereotypical prejudices that underlay actual racist/sexist/homophobic/etc attitudes.

There's no difference to me between your comment and an assertion that black people are dumb or Mexicans are lazy or gay couples are dangerous as parents.

I have this utterly, hopelessly naive wish that somehow, someday we'll be able to disagree vehemently without taking that disagreement as an a priori demonstration that our opponent is a despicable human being.  My expectation, however, is civil war.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

He's talking about the philosophy-- the modality-- of how one walks through life. Not specific to this overall issue, my Bateshorn friend.

My contention is that prior to the Revolutionary War, the economic modalities, especially in the southern colonies, could most aptly be characterized as agrarian precapitalism...

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Augustus said:

This is why we're doomed.  Both sides believe the other side is evil to the core so there's no hope of any productive dialogue between the two.

I've got tons of deeply liberal friends and each of them are thoughtful, kind and decent folks.

I've got tons of deeply conservative friends and they are all thoughtful, kind and decent folks.

But often when both groups start talking about the other "side" as a whole, they lapse into these generalizations which employ the same vacuous, stereotypical prejudices that underlay actual racist/sexist/homophobic/etc attitudes.

There's no difference to me between your comment and an assertion that black people are dumb or Mexicans are lazy or gay couples are dangerous as parents.

I have this utterly, hopelessly naive wish that somehow, someday we'll be able to disagree vehemently without taking that disagreement as an a priori demonstration that our opponent is a despicable human being.  My expectation, however, is civil war.

Well if you don't want a reputation as hating gays maybe don't make it part of your party platform and oppose any motion for equality. 

Just a thought 

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Well your equities desk guy is super dialed in, I'm sure.

Well his job is to give neutral and accurate information. He’s a sharp guy and it’s not like he’s biased towards the republican side. He has said multiple times he’s a registered democrat.

Just now, Augustus said:

The conservatives I know do a good job of appearing to be thoughtful, kind, and decent. And for the most part they are. But every so often they get angry and the curtain falls. They feel comfortable in their surroundings and they drop and N-bomb or some other racist or homophobic slur.

White conservatives are scared. They think the country is changing and leaving them behind. And they are right. Instead of adapting, however, they dig in and blame the "other" for their problems. 

4 minutes ago, Augustus said:

39C7C57D-7285-487F-9985-1E2B8A5FCAD2_zps

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The conservatives I know do a good job of appearing to be thoughtful, kind, and decent. And for the most part they are. But every so often they get angry and the curtain falls. They feel comfortable in their surroundings and they drop and N-bomb or some other racist or homophobic slur.

White conservatives are scared. They think the country is changing and leaving them behind. And they are right. Instead of adapting, however, they dig in and blame the "other" for their problems. 

Way to read a post about generalizing a group of people and their motives for their views as a form of bigotry and then proceed to do exactly that.  

Without even a hint of irony. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The way I wrote how someone can come to think this way, was by giving the premise that one believes it to be false, so the false stands in the first point. Reread the premise:

if you tend to think in terms of "probably didn't happen that way, no proof and 'not buying it'", then you look at it in the following light:

• Kav was falsely accused of something horrendous.

You are right, I didn't read the preamble that way the first time.  I was more engaged with the idea that people lean a statement one way or the other without having proof.   But there is a lot of that going on right now, in all arenas. 

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Are you a college liberal arts professor?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

How about more recently. Arrogant Obama couldn’t advance his agenda legislatively and resorts to using executive orders more than any other President in history. You don’t think that now we are in power that we’re not going fight back and overturn Obama’s excesses.

Lulz, you whine like a bitch because people neg you for being conservative. The reality is that people neg you for being a fucking idiot. You just parrot back idiot facts you hear on fox news or read on Qanon with no thought or concern if the bullshit you spout is accurate. Keep posting shit....keep getting negged.

Snip_Image.jpg

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, Caddox said:

So not only will Kavanuagh get confirmed but the republican voter base has a 12 point increase in a voter enthusiasm poll conducted by NPR/amherst. Dems have played this horribly. 

It won't last for four weeks with the way the news cycle operates these days. See Access Hollywood tape.

22 minutes ago, AtticusFinch said:

Ginsburg fell asleep during Obama's 2015 state of the union for what she claims to not being sober.  Perhaps she has a drinking problem and should be removed.  There are crazy stories about the justices throughout history.  Thousands of books.  They are people.  Nobody is infallible.

All strawmen.

He lied in his job interview.  He showed extreme prejudice.

He doesn't meet the requirements of the job.

End of story.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

All strawmen.

He lied in his job interview.  He showed extreme prejudice.

He doesn't meet the requirements of the job.

End of story.

it really is this basic. 

you don't have to believe dr ford, or the gang bang lady or the ramirez lady.

he is a fucking lying partisan piece of shit. period.

"what goes around comes around" <- right there by itself is disqualifying.

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I know a lot of conservatives who are thoughtful and rational.  Not surprisingly, 100% of those conservatives oppose Trump and more than half at least say they’re planning to vote Democrat this year.

Then there are “conservatives” who are actually just small-minded populists / nativists or Christian fundamentalists.  These conservatives are not rational.  They are not thoughtful.  Many are perfectly nice people with whom I get along in real life.  But I do not respect their opinions on politics or pretty much anything, really.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Jeesh,, so "conservatives" are the only ones that use the "n" word ?  

And I don't mean to imply Libs only use it in Rap Videos. 

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it really is this basic. 

you don't have to believe dr ford, or the gang bang lady or the ramirez lady.

he is a fucking lying partisan piece of shit. period.

"what goes around comes around" <- right there by itself is disqualifying.

He just hasn't come off as wise nor mature through all this.  That is what we expect of our highest judges of the land.  Like someone else said, the other justices are not going to be too happy with him and how all this has tarnished their reputations or the reputation of the SC. 

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Kavanaugh's unprecedented open partisanship is the primary disqualifying factor, to me. All previous justices at least feigned objectivity. Not ol' beer-bashing Brett.

This.  To not even pretend to go in on an even keel and further to display so blatantly the inability to at least feign being objective...nope.  Not SCOTUS material.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

He just hasn't come off as wise nor mature through all this.  That is what we expect of our highest judges of the land.  Like someone else said, the other justices are not going to be too happy with him and how all this has tarnished their reputations or the reputation of the SC. 

They all know him and like him.  They will all get along fine.

28 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:
Flake isn’t finished Flaking

What an attention whore. He needs a piping hot cup of Earl Grey to sip on this evening as he stares into the fireplace and thinks about his decision.

Edited by retread