Let your game balls hang

Goredho

Who gets your game balls?  Here are mine:

Gary Johnson:  Played in beast mode, especially in the 2nd half.  I now think he truly hates QBs and RBs rather than generally kinda doesn’t like many of them.

The offensive line:  Decent enough pass protection and a good push run blocking.  Everyone on offense looked better because these guys did a decent job.  I now think you generally kinda don’t like DLs and LBs instead of wishing you could all just be friends and have a sleepover.  One nice thing about offensive ineptitude due to a shitty OL — every facet of the offense improves by orders of magnitude when the line becomes unshitty.

Sam Ehlinger:  Played well in a big game with no major mistakes.  Several big throws and runs to score or keep drives alive.  I loved seeing him dance around when pressure came then throw it away when nothing materialized instead of forcing something stupid.  Big step up in on-the-field intelligence and maturity.

Caden Stearns:  Dude, you almost blocked a kick, picked it up and took it for a TD in one fluid blur of athleticism.  As it is, your block and Wheeler’s TD killed USC’s spirit and made the game non-competitive.  Only weakness:  ball scooping skills.

BJ Foster:  Not sure about your overall game, but you fucking killed a deity with your +3 vorpal helmet of doom, and that’s worthy of recognition.

Lil’Jordan & CJ:  They played well.  Hmm, is ‘well‘ really the bar for a game ball?  I dunno, but these guys did good.

The Team:  They got down early and could have folded, but they gathered themselves and convincingly beat the shit out of USC in prime time.  If the defense can play that well consistently, we will be in every game.  If the OL plays that well consistently, our offense will be good enough to win most of those close games against better opponents.  Last night’s team was what we thought we’d see coming out of fall camp.

The Coaches:  For all intents and purposes, you took an underachieving 0-2 team surrounded with negativity and got them prepared to beat a ranked team.  The defense was very good after the first 2-3 drives.  The offensive play calling looked much better with the OL not tripping over their dicks or the QB being a chaos-monkey and throwing the ball up for grabs.

Good win, I hope what we saw last night is more indicative of where the team is than the first two games.

• Like 4

Sam had a good game.  He still missed some throws, but he missed them where they couldn't be picked.  And he used good judgment to get away from pressure and throw it away several times.  So his completion percentage wasn't good, but 3 touchdowns and 0 turnovers against a ranked team is beautiful.

Dicker hit a pair of 46-yarders that looked good from 56.  Nails.

The crowd.  

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'd throw in Dicker the Kicker for being nails aas a freshman. Also Anthony Cook should be playing opposite of boyd if Davis is out. 

Agreed about Dicker, that guy fucks.  And Stearns, Foster, Cook... we rolled with 3 true freshmen in the secondary at times.  Ingram should be back soon, can't wait until the rest of that stellar class joins the party. 

The OL has been mentioned already but I'd single out Elijah Rodriguez. 2 games in and no (called) holds, bad snaps or getting blown up that I can recall. I was nervous entering the season at backup center because we knew Shack would get hurt at some point. Rodriguez is more than holding his own rn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Sam Ehlinger:  Played well in a big game with no major mistakes.  Several big throws and runs to score or keep drives alive.  I loved seeing him dance around when pressure came then throw it away when nothing materialized instead of forcing something stupid.  Big step up in on-the-field intelligence and maturity.

Amen to the whole post including the part about Amon.

TV announcers used to make too much of a big deal about a QB throwing the ball away. "That's a great play. Smart. There was nothing open." Always said as though we had tremendous trouble grasping the concept. Throwing the ball away is not the best play in football, but it's never the worst decision.

As bored and annoyed as the announcers made me, they were identifying a sure sign of maturity. If you have a healthy QB stable, you get to see this process on a regular basis with young QBs or the habit is already instilled if the QB had years to prepare before starting.

We keep throwing freshman at the position and then replacing them with new freshmen. We don't get to see much maturation. What a pleasure and relief to see a Texas QB get there. 

Herman gambled with public opinion by sticking with one QB. I barked like a dog at the TV during the Maryland game about not giving Shane a shot. Herman took the heat and stuck with developing the QB he thought would best develop as the constant starter.

Herman was right. Sam is making strides that he likely wouldn't be making if there was fear that he might be pulled. Well done by both coach and player!

I'm trying to find my way out of the cellar of despair and dread so that I can feel as good as I should about a big win against a storied opponent. Your post hits a lot of good points.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Nahlin deserves some love for this tweet.

One of the post game pleasures last night was that tweet.

A&M was set to play their usual game of comparing losses to brag about their team. "We lost more valiantly than you did! We're better!"

Hell, they'd even claim dominance if they beat a team we lost to even if when we beat them head to head. Strange little cult they have going there.

Oline disappointed me at first in their run blocking with the running game being the suck.    Lotta RBs running in the back of lineman and getting tackled for little to no gain.   Their pass blocking on the other hand is much, much improved.   Thank you Herb Hand!

The good news is they persisted and /or adjusted in the run game and helped turn the game around.  They flat out wore the Dline down.   Great to see the growth.    Not sure if I want to see Shack back at center though.

Edited by HuntinHorn

Caden Sterns is a monster. Already best safety on the team. Boyd had a nice night in the secondary as well. Chris Nelson was solid against the run and blew up multiple plays with penatration. Gary Johnson was very active. Couple of big kicks by Dicker. LJH was big. Watson had a nice game, nothing explosive but solid.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

USC heated up Sam pretty good last night and he kept his composure. Props to him.

Danny Young is turning into a 4th quarter closer and I really like that role for him.

BJones, outside of being a fainting goat when the ball is in the air, had a really nice game.

Calvin Anderson has been a life saver this season. 

Jones is a really solid in run support.  Good game.  He's a money tackler.

Good to see a lot of guys contribute like Cook, Moore, Chris Brown etc

Nelson played well cause they couldn't run for shit.

Beck with a couple of nice catches.

Hager getting held a lot still got pressure.

Tre Watson didn't break any but ran hard.  The ratio of 4 yard gains to tackle for no yards or a loss is noticeably better this year.

Todd Orlando needs some love as well as whoever called plays for the offense.  Not stellar but better.