9/23 AP Top 25 placeholder thread

BigOrange1

Starting to realize Texas, Tech and Oklahoma State are the only teams in the conference with quality wins thus far.

Oklahoma has played no one, and looks less impressive each week.  (though they could still be really good.  West Virginia has played no one, though they look like they should against the nobodies.

I think this thing is wide open.  And I think there's a good chance the teams that end up in the conference championship game both have multiple losses.

3 minutes ago, fellside said:

Starting to realize Texas, Tech and Oklahoma State are the only teams in the conference with quality wins thus far.

Oklahoma has played no one, and looks less impressive each week.  (though they could still be really good.  West Virginia has played no one, though they look like they should against the nobodies.

I think this thing is wide open.  And I think there's a good chance the teams that end up in the conference championship game both have multiple losses.

yeah at this point, it wouldn't surprise me to see any two of texas, oklahoma, west virginia, oklahoma state, tcu and tech in the big 12 title game.

obviously still a long way to go though.

League is turning out how a number of folks, myself included, saw it: A very competitive league with several good teams, as many as 8 legit too 40 squads, that will make for an exciting year with everyone playing one another. But there isn't really an elite team that screams playoff team at you.

I think OU is catching a little too much flak for the Army game and it would be nice to have the additional NC State data point on WVU, so the jury is out on those two, but it may end up that no one is good enough to get through the league with only one loss.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I watched most of the reply of the ou mess. I’m doimg this from memory, but the time of possession for ou was roughly 8:30 during regulation.

Their scoring drives were crazy fast like 1:30, 2:30, 2:30, and a failed 4th and 1 that would have iced the game was less then a minute (recovered a batted down pass).

Army completely controlled the game and the clock, and should have won in regulation. But apparently they do not have a kicker as their coach made an odd decision and elected to go for it rather then kick a field goal.

ou is a good offensive team. With a solid scheme and some solid receivers. But Stoops’ defense is really a bad unit. How he still manages a check is far more impressive then his coaching skills. But they ain’t a top ten team, and it is not even close.

2 hours ago, Hamttx said:

I watched most of the reply of the ou mess. I’m doimg this from memory, but the time of possession for ou was roughly 8:30 during regulation.

Their scoring drives were crazy fast like 1:30, 2:30, 2:30, and a failed 4th and 1 that would have iced the game was less then a minute (recovered a batted down pass).

Army completely controlled the game and the clock, and should have won in regulation. But apparently they do not have a kicker as their coach made an odd decision and elected to go for it rather then kick a field goal.

ou is a good offensive team. With a solid scheme and some solid receivers. But Stoops’ defense is really a bad unit. How he still manages a check is far more impressive then his coaching skills. But they ain’t a top ten team, and it is not even close.

Hopefully Texas exposes that little fact in two weeks.  

15 hours ago, Treefidy said:

I would assume tOSU/pedo this week?

the following week we have the best matchup if we both win, plus it's the RR and state fair, seems likely. 

Yeah Gameday is there next week.  Our game being on Fox kind of hurts us for RRS.  They will go to places when they don't have the game but they look for excuses not to, it seems like.  

7 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Miami got beat 33-17 vs LSU 

Won games over Savannah St, FIU and Toledo. 

Yet there they are at number 16.

Meanwhile 

Texas lost to Maryland

Beat a then ranked USC and TCU

Beat Tulsa

And they are two below at 18

Rankings are such a fucking joke. I'm not of the belief Texas should be higher, but I'd love to see Miami face unranked OkieLight tomorrow. 

Cal is 3-0 with a win over 3-1 BYU.   BYU is ranked 20.  Cal is ranked...24.

35 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I think I am more surprised TCU did not make the cut.

With 2 early season losses, it's hard for voters to keep a team in Top 25.

Just ask aggies with losses to Clemson & Bama.🤣

Still a decent shot for TCU to get ranked again in a few weeks if they stop turning the ball over so much and Win their next 3 games (all at Home) including the BlowU game on Oct 20th....

LSU at #5 seems too high.

Also wonder what's happened to Auburn's offense because they were not that impressive against Arky with only 225 total yards on Offense....

Stanford was lucky as shit.... hope Notre Dame smokes the damn trees

Edited by LTtxfan

I love early season speculation and debate and it would be even juicier if only . . . rankings came out AFTER the first Saturday in October.  Football fans are going to watch USC v Texas or LSU v Miami whether bullshit ranking numbers appear ahead of the team names.

Ranking teams in August and September is only decoration for ad campaigns.  Cue college football theme music, and . . . roll intro!  "Tune into Jagoff TV this Saturday at 9:00 (am) ET as the Bud Lite #7 Sipsey Valley Normal School Lions take on Husqvarna #11 Bobwire Stretcher Tech Flem Smackers, brought to you by Ronco International, the makers of Log."

Edited by Bama Llama
Typo