9/23 AP Top 25 Poll... Texas is #18

The Tower

55 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Man, you have a different type of butthurt than Penn State football usually creates, but it is significant.

Yep, I did make an error, Penn State did come back from 3 TDs down to beat a Wisky team that beat literally no one else all season after a Week 1 two point win over LSU in Green Bay.

But let's look at those five AMAZING wins that Penn State had that led you to say they got better over the season after luckboxing that win over Ohio State:

62-24 vs Purdue - Purdue finished 3-9 that season, including losses to Cincy 38-20, Maryland 50-7, and Northwestern 45-17.

41-14 vs Iowa - Iowa finished 8-5 that season, including losses at home to North Dakota State and Northwestern, and a 30-3 beatdown by a meh Florida in their bowl.

45-31 at Indiana - Indiana finished 6-7 that season, including a home loss to Wake Forest. Five of their six wins were Ball State, Florida International, Purdue, Maryland, and Rutgers. Penn State trailed this game with 5:00 to go.  Indiana outgained PSU, but had 5 turnovers, including 2 in the last 3 minutes. Improvement as the season goes on, though!

39-0 vs Rutgers - I could just say "lol Rutgers", but Rutgers finished 2-10 with wins over Howard and New Mexico. The other 2 top B1G teams that year beat them 58-0 and 78-0.  Michigan State's only B1G win of the season was over Rutgers 49-0.  This game was 9-0 at the half.

45-12 vs Michigan State - Michigan State finished 3-9 that season, with 2 of those wins being Furman and Rutgers. Nonetheless, Sparty led this game 12-10 at half. 

So PSU's last 3 regular season games included trailing a sub-500 Indiana team with 5:00 left in the game, leading a historically woeful 2-10 Rutgers team 9-0 at half, and trailing an awful 3-9 Sparty team 12-10 at half.  Wow, those dominating performances at the end of the season!!

Maybe watch more games, champ. 

Not even reading this bullshit just admit you were wrong and move on 

• Fuck You 2

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not even reading this bullshit just admit you were wrong and move on 

I'm super surprised.  Yep, those dominating performances in their last two regular season games where they led by a combined 19-12 over 3-9 Sparty and 2-10 Rutgers showed how it was all coming together!

But narratives though!

So easy for the feeble-minded to look at a team that closed 5-0 against pure wretched garbage and say they improved down the stretch while this other team was worse at the end. After all, they lost their last regular season game!  Of course it was to an 11-1 team, but NARRATIVES ARE EASY.

2 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

I'm super surprised.  Yep, those dominating performances in their last two regular season games where they led by a combined 19-12 over 3-9 Sparty and 2-10 Rutgers showed how it was all coming together!

But narratives though!

So easy for the feeble-minded to look at a team that closed 5-0 against pure wretched garbage and say they improved down the stretch while this other team was worse at the end. After all, they lost their last regular season game!  Of course it was to an 11-1 team, but NARRATIVES ARE EASY.

You sound like a fucking vagina right now. Still salty about missing the playoff that year? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

You sound like a fucking vagina right now. Still salty about missing the playoff that year? 

You are suuuuch a badass supreme!!  You don't take to computers, you WATCH FOOOBAWWW!!!  You say FUCK a lot!  FUCK FUCK!

I think any person can read my posts and read yours and determine who the salty one is. OU didn't deserve a playoff spot in 2016 over any of the teams that went, so no, not salty at all.

15 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Texas is probably the team most would list as the third best in the B12 right now and we didn't just lose to Maryland, we lost a season opening revenge game with weeks to prepare. A game where we trailed essentially the whole time and where everyone watching knew damn well what the outcome was going to be even as Texas mounted a comeback. The same Maryland that has no coach, hates their own staff and is under investigation. The same Maryland that got smoked by Temple. Maryland is not good but they handled us, ostensibly the third best team in the conference.

We also struggled mightily and just generally looked horrible in a very ugly win against TULSA.  If they hadn't missed three easy field goals we very well could've lost. That was like two whole weeks ago. Since then we beat a very bad USC team and a probably good but not great TCU team. We looked a lot better in those games and things appear to be trending the right direction, but I'm pumping the brakes and taking nothing for granted. Our floor is 3 wins, our ceiling is 11 wins, and each week that range of possibility will shrink in one direction or the other. That's all I can confidently say for now.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

You are suuuuch a badass supreme!!  You don't take to computers, you WATCH FOOOBAWWW!!!  You say FUCK a lot!  FUCK FUCK!

I think any person can read my posts and read yours and determine who the salty one is. OU didn't deserve a playoff spot in 2016 over any of the teams that went, so no, not salty at all.

Uh oh guys the Profanity Police showed up. Better tone it down or you might get reported to the FCC.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Man, you have a different type of butthurt than Penn State football usually creates, but it is significant.

Yep, I did make an error, Penn State did come back from 3 TDs down to beat a Wisky team that beat literally no one else all season after a Week 1 two point win over LSU in Green Bay.

But let's look at those five AMAZING wins that Penn State had that led you to say they got better over the season after luckboxing that win over Ohio State:

62-24 vs Purdue - Purdue finished 3-9 that season, including losses to Cincy 38-20, Maryland 50-7, and Northwestern 45-17.

41-14 vs Iowa - Iowa finished 8-5 that season, including losses at home to North Dakota State and Northwestern, and a 30-3 beatdown by a meh Florida in their bowl.

45-31 at Indiana - Indiana finished 6-7 that season, including a home loss to Wake Forest. Five of their six wins were Ball State, Florida International, Purdue, Maryland, and Rutgers. Penn State trailed this game with 5:00 to go.  Indiana outgained PSU, but had 5 turnovers, including 2 in the last 3 minutes. Improvement as the season goes on, though!

39-0 vs Rutgers - I could just say "lol Rutgers", but Rutgers finished 2-10 with wins over Howard and New Mexico. The other 2 top B1G teams that year beat them 58-0 and 78-0.  Michigan State's only B1G win of the season was over Rutgers 49-0.  This game was 9-0 at the half.

45-12 vs Michigan State - Michigan State finished 3-9 that season, with 2 of those wins being Furman and Rutgers. Nonetheless, Sparty led this game 12-10 at half. 

So PSU's last 3 regular season games included trailing a sub-500 Indiana team with 5:00 left in the game, leading a historically woeful 2-10 Rutgers team 9-0 at half, and trailing an awful 3-9 Sparty team 12-10 at half.  Wow, those dominating performances at the end of the season!!

Maybe watch more games, champ. 

Remember last year when the Borg won a bunch of bowl games?  How about the year before when the lost a bunch?  But does anyone want to remember how Wisconsin's won  the Cotton Bowl?

1 hour ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

We also struggled mightily and just generally looked horrible in a very ugly win against TULSA.  If they hadn't missed three easy field goals we very well could've lost. That was like two whole weeks ago. Since then we beat a very bad USC team and a probably good but not great TCU team. We looked a lot better in those games and things appear to be trending the right direction, but I'm pumping the brakes and taking nothing for granted. Our floor is 3 wins, our ceiling is 11 wins, and each week that range of possibility will shrink in one direction or the other. That's all I can confidently say for now.

Great prediction +/-8 games with 8 games to go.

15 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Remember last year when the Borg won a bunch of bowl games?  How about the year before when the lost a bunch?  But does anyone want to remember how Wisconsin's won  the Cotton Bowl?

Only way we can judge Wisky's Cotton Bowl win is to get a comprehensive, 50 year history of Western Michigan's passing efficiency on 3rd and short when facing P5 opponents at or above 50% humidity level in an open air stadium. 

10 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

But narratives though!

Just to make sure we’re all on the same page here, you’re saying the wins over two top 6 teams say less about a team than the halftime scores of two games they won 84-12?

On 9/23/2018 at 3:58 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

That sounds good on paper except usc and tcu are no longer ranked. LIke you said, cant put a lot of stock in early rankings. 

imagine aggy trying to wrap their head around this concept.  Their best wins are losses to #1 & 2, but that actually winning means they significantly devalue those wins/losses.  

On 9/26/2018 at 9:49 PM, gmr548 said:

Texas is probably the team most would list as the third best in the B12 right now and we didn't just lose to Maryland, we lost a season opening revenge game with weeks to prepare. A game where we trailed essentially the whole time and where everyone watching knew damn well what the outcome was going to be even as Texas mounted a comeback. The same Maryland that has no coach, hates their own staff and is under investigation. The same Maryland that got smoked by Temple. Maryland is not good but they handled us, ostensibly the third best team in the conference. Stop shitting on the Big Ten.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That will make Texas's win over OU next week that more amusing.  

17 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Yeah, all that stuff is cyclical...

The B1G has a chore ahead in getting quality teams in bowls this year, it appears...

1) it's ousux, get it right
2) victory over ousux is always equally enjoyable
3) I'd personally prefer not to have had 2 shitty games
4) victory isn't a given
5) so you think it would be more "amusing" to beat ousux after a loss and a close game rather than being undefeated in match up that was top 10 at worst and potentially put us in the MNC race? We differ greatly in that regard.
6) We need to first worry about Kansas State.
#6 should be #1. Fuck OU.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A 1 loss Texas going into December is playoff berth. 

For that matter almost any 1 loss big xii team this year will get that berth as it can only be TX or OU at this point and OU has their knob getting slobbed for their Heisman candidate. 

SEC doesn't have 2 great teams this year and the LSU Alabama game won't need to happen twice again because LSU is going to get dumpstered by Alabama. 

44 minutes ago, immamac said:

A 1 loss Texas going into December is playoff berth. 

For that matter almost any 1 loss big xii team this year will get that berth as it can only be TX or OU at this point and OU has their knob getting slobbed for their Heisman candidate. 

SEC doesn't have 2 great teams this year and the LSU Alabama game won't need to happen twice again because LSU is going to get dumpstered by Alabama. 

True, but we could all use a Georgia loss.  If Bama beats an undefeated Georgia in the SEC championship by 50 they’ll make the playoff over other one loss teams.  Because SEC.  

13 hours ago, heso said:

Just to make sure we’re all on the same page here, you’re saying the wins over two top 6 teams say less about a team than the halftime scores of two games they won 84-12?

Here are the two statements I was challenging:

1) Penn State was a Top 5/Playoff team in 2016
2) Penn State "improved as the 2016 season went on."

For #1, my much bigger arguments than halftime scores against Sparty/Rutgers are:  Penn State lost to a 5 loss Pitt team AND they lost to Michigan 49-10. So what do they have to counterbalance those two games?  The wins over tOSU and Wisconsin.  tOSU was a very good team that year, but my contention is that Penn State's win was lucky/flukish. It obviously counts in the standings, but if we are discussing how good a team is, it matters. 

For Wisconsin, in addition to Penn State having to rally from 28-7 in that game, my main point was that Wisky beat NOBODY that year, other than a 2 point win over 8-4 LSU in Green Bay and an 8 point win over a MAC team in their bowl. So to call Wisky a "top 6" team is more a function of their schedule than Wisky's actual power (Sagarin's final ratings had Wisky at 9, and PSU at 13, BTW).

For #2, that's the point made where I think the scores are relevant. Penn State closed 2016's regular season against one team that you could generously call mediocre, and two that were truly awful. The fact that they trailed the mediocre one with 5:00 left in the game, and struggled mightily until late in the game with both of the awful teams certainly suggests that they had not actually developed into some juggernaut powerhouse, but instead that they closed the season on a winning streak due to schedule, with scores that were "prettier" than the actual games.

I'm not a B1G hater, but the fact is that, due to the size of the conference, and the consolidation of top programs in one division, you can end up playing a VERY weak conference schedule, leading average to above average-level teams to elite-looking records. It happened with Wisconsin in 2016, and Iowa the year before. 

It also allows teams who pull off a pretty fortunate win to ride the rest of their schedule to a division title, without necessarily being the best team in the division (Sparty '15, PSU '16).

5 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

For #1, my much bigger arguments than halftime scores against Sparty/Rutgers are:  Penn State lost to a 5 loss Pitt team AND they lost to Michigan 49-10. So what do they have to counterbalance those two games?  The wins over tOSU and Wisconsin.  tOSU was a very good team that year, but my contention is that Penn State's win was lucky/flukish. It obviously counts in the standings, but if we are discussing how good a team is, it matters. 

For Wisconsin, in addition to Penn State having to rally from 28-7 in that game, my main point was that Wisky beat NOBODY that year, other than a 2 point win over 8-4 LSU in Green Bay and an 8 point win over a MAC team in their bowl. So to call Wisky a "top 6" team is more a function of their schedule than Wisky's actual power (Sagarin's final ratings had Wisky at 9, and PSU at 13, BTW).

For #2, that's the point made where I think the scores are relevant. Penn State closed 2016's regular season against one team that you could generously call mediocre, and two that were truly awful. The fact that they trailed the mediocre one with 5:00 left in the game, and struggled mightily until late in the game with both of the awful teams certainly suggests that they had not actually developed into some juggernaut powerhouse, but instead that they closed the season on a winning streak due to schedule, with scores that were "prettier" than the actual games.

I'm not a B1G hater, but the fact is that, due to the size of the conference, and the consolidation of top programs in one division, you can end up playing a VERY weak conference schedule, leading average to above average-level teams to elite-looking records. It happened with Wisconsin in 2016, and Iowa the year before. 

It also allows teams who pull off a pretty fortunate win to ride the rest of their schedule to a division title, without necessarily being the best team in the division (Sparty '15, PSU '16).

TL:DR

23 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I never said they were a top 5 team. I said they were a contender and could have gave someone a scare in the CFP.

We get it. You think Penn State is overrated.

Wins are wins. Unless you're aggy. You're not aggy are you? You sound like it.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I never said they were a top 5 team. I said they were a contender and could have gave someone a scare in the CFP.

We get it. You think Penn State is overrated.

Wins are wins. Unless you're aggy. You're not aggy are you? You sound like it.

So you would say OU's 28-21 overtime win over Army is equally impressive as Texas' comfortable win over TCU last week?  Because wins are wins, right? Why are there 3-1 teams ranked ahead of 4-0 teams? How do you decide which 4-0 team should be ranked highest, and which shouldn't be ranked at all?

I don't think PSU is overrated in general. I think they were overrated at the end of 2016, thanks to a fluky win over tOSU and a pisspoor schedule, that they weren't even that dominant against.

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

I get it, but if your post says absolutely nothing, why even post it? 

I think his point was that this team is totally unpredictable. That is saying something.

Beyond that, you probably just eliminated 90+% of the posts on surly (and every other message board )with that rule.

• Fuck You 1

The Big10 was a tough conference in 2016.  Especially that division. 

The Michigan schools were both peaking, it was probably Iowa and NWstern best teams lately.  Minnessota played Iowa and NW close and beat PSU in OT.

Edited by JBJ

25 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

So you would say OU's 28-21 overtime win over Army is equally impressive as Texas' comfortable win over TCU last week?  Because wins are wins, right? Why are there 3-1 teams ranked ahead of 4-0 teams? How do you decide which 4-0 team should be ranked highest, and which shouldn't be ranked at all?

I don't think PSU is overrated in general. I think they were overrated at the end of 2016, thanks to a fluky win over tOSU and a pisspoor schedule, that they weren't even that dominant against.

The whole reason I mentioned Penn State 2016 up thread was to point out that there are some other non Ohio State teams at the top of the Big 10 that are good/relevant.  Its hindsight, but again 2016 Ohio State got destroyed by Clemson.  It was a pretty bad look, the only worse playoff appearance was probably Michigan State getting mudholed by Bama.  So, in retrospect, was Penn State worse than that?  Do they get shut out by Clemson and lose by 31?  I don't think so, but who knows.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hozz said:

The whole reason I mentioned Penn State 2016 up thread was to point out that there are some other non Ohio State teams at the top of the Big 10 that are good/relevant.  Its hindsight, but again 2016 Ohio State got destroyed by Clemson.  It was a pretty bad look, the only worse playoff appearance was probably Michigan State getting mudholed by Bama.  So, in retrospect, was Penn State worse than that?  Do they get shut out by Clemson and lose by 31?  I don't think so, but who knows.

Sure, this all makes sense, and is fair. I would say neither Ohio State nor Penn State were likely to lose by 31 to Clemson, though either could if they played a bad game. PSU lost by 39 to Michigan, which wasn't as good as Clemson.

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:

No - because OU wasn't expected to get taken into OT and Texas wasn't expected to win. 

Did Penn State face some back-loaded garbage that season? Sure. But they won every game. The fact that one or two of those games was closer than it "should" have been doesn't really mean much considering they went on to win the BIG10. 

What about PSU's ass whipping of Iowa that season - a team that kicked the shit out of the Ohio State team we are talking about? 

I don't think PSU was especially consistent that season - but when they were firing on all cylinders they could hang with any team in the country. 

2 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Yea I don’t disagree with you that they may not have been a playoff team. They were a two loss team. Were two losses early in the season worse than a loss to the team that won the division? Playoff committee agrees with you. It’s pretty subjective. 

The part that is just ridiculous is trying to use halftime scores as a measurement of anything at all. Halftime adjustments, etc. the game is 4 quarters long. The only thing that maters is the final fucking score. 

Psu scoring differential by quarter for the 2016 season:

Q1: -7

Q2: -16

Q3: +82

Q4: +124

Late in the second quarter of the big ten championship game Wisconsin had a 97% chance of winning the game. Who won the game? Penn state. Why? The final score is what matters. 

Edited by heso

34 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No - because OU wasn't expected to get taken into OT and Texas wasn't expected to win. 

Did Penn State face some back-loaded garbage that season? Sure. But they won every game. The fact that one or two of those games was closer than it "should" have been doesn't really mean much considering they went on to win the BIG10. 

What about PSU's ass whipping of Iowa that season - a team that kicked the shit out of the Ohio State team we are talking about? 

I don't think PSU was especially consistent that season - but when they were firing on all cylinders they could hang with any team in the country. 

So what, wins are wins, right?  You can't excuse pisspoor performances by PSU against Indiana, Rutgers, and MSU with "but they won" and not hold OU to the same standard with the Army game. OU won the game, all that matters, no?  For the record, that is not my position, and in a world where Texas didn't lose week 1, I would have had OU ahead of them prior to last week, and Texas ahead this week. Because some wins are more than other wins.

And your turn to make the mistake - Iowa didn't even play Ohio State in 2016.  The asswhipping you are referencing occurred last year, and that asswhipping kept Ohio State out of last year's playoff.  The only game Ohio State lost in 2016 before the playoff was the 3 point loss at PSU on a block FG return for TD.  They beat the shit out of an 11-2 OU team in Norman, they won at Wisconsin, they beat Nebraska 62-3, they beat the same Michigan team that beat PSU by 39.

Your last sentence I agree with 100%.

17 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

So what, wins are wins, right?  You can't excuse pisspoor performances by PSU against Indiana, Rutgers, and MSU with "but they won" and not hold OU to the same standard with the Army game. OU won the game, all that matters, no?  For the record, that is not my position, and in a world where Texas didn't lose week 1, I would have had OU ahead of them prior to last week, and Texas ahead this week. Because some wins are more than other wins.

And your turn to make the mistake - Iowa didn't even play Ohio State in 2016.  The asswhipping you are referencing occurred last year, and that asswhipping kept Ohio State out of last year's playoff.  The only game Ohio State lost in 2016 before the playoff was the 3 point loss at PSU on a block FG return for TD.  They beat the shit out of an 11-2 OU team in Norman, they won at Wisconsin, they beat Nebraska 62-3, they beat the same Michigan team that beat PSU by 39.

Your last sentence I agree with 100%.

Let’s qualify those piss poor performances a little. PSU won those two game 84-12. OU won the army game 27-21 in OT. 

2 minutes ago, heso said:

Let’s qualify those piss poor performances a little. PSU won those two game 84-12. OU won the army game 27-21 in OT. 

'16 Indiana was the team more akin to 2018 Army, and PSU won that by 11 with 2 TDs in the last 5 minutes. Again, my whole point on those games isn't that they inherently mean that PSU wasn't good or whatever, just that the narrative of a team peaking at the end of the season didn't really fit PSU. I think ztejas nailed it that they were more an inconsistent team with a high ceiling rather than a team like 2016 USC that sputtered at the start, but was playing demonstrably better at the end of the season.

11 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

True, but we could all use a Georgia loss.  If Bama beats an undefeated Georgia in the SEC championship by 50 they’ll make the playoff over other one loss teams.  Because SEC.  

Agreed, I say it's an outside chance to get 3 teams in the CFP for the SEC...

An undefeated Alabama or Georgia, the conference runner up, possibly a top 5 SEC team like LSU...

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

If ND is 1 loss and there are 2 one loss SEC teams, a 1 loss Michigan, and maybe 1 loss Stanford, but certainly and undefeated one and any undefeated ACC team get in before Texas.

And who gives a shit right now? 

You think a 1 loss Stanford team is getting into the playoff over Texas? Lmfao.

There's this thing called money.

Just resign yourself to the fact that any 1 loss SEC team gets in, no matter how many other SEC teams are already in the playoff. That is the power of the myth created by the SEC due to their scheduling and bowl game manipulation. They Sun Tzued the shit out of college football by making sure that the majority of their conference only schedules OOC and bowl games that they can win, with a healthy dose of late season cupcakes to make sure there are no November surprises. All other conferences have sure fire 1 loss entries in the event that the media allows SEC teams to provide a vacancy, examples being FSU for the ACC, Texas/OU for the Big 12-2, OSU/Michigan for the Big, USC for the Pac 12. Everyone else depends on on there being a glut of 2 loss teams.

• Like 1