Resistance, meet here

horncyclist

Been some discussions on various threads about what can be done to save our democracy. Hope to consolidate that here.

What I'm doing in NoVA (moved here 3 years ago after spending the first 32 years of my life in Texas):

(1) Today, I drink.

(2) Campaigning for school board candidate who has an impressive resume, Ed policy background and gives a shit. We're hosting a campaign event for him in our home next week.

(3) Phonebanking for Beto. Going to take off work 3 days next week to call. Hosting a phonebank the next weekend.

(4) Going to volunteer for Comstock's opponent, Jennifer Wexton.

(5) Drink

What you got? Campaign activities, candidates, fundraising, policy discussion, constitutional amendments, ideas on what to drink ... bring that shit here.

• Like 1

I am gonna leave work a bit earlier, play with kids a bit more, attend more of their sports/school functions, walk my dog more the next few weeks, take my wife out to a dinner or two, donate some cash, and vote.

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Whitman said:

If you see Beto there (he probably snuck under a fence to cause mischief), please don't ask him to be your designated driver.

Shit, Beto'd be there drunk as shit and looking for women with phenomenally large breasts and tight buttocks.  And I mean, could you blame him?  That's what the fuck college is for.

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

I like the cut of your job.

I'll offer up secession.

Secession is something fascinating to talk about because I simply cannot get the particulars straight in my head. In other words, how on earth would the states that secede manage to successfully resist the United States military?

They are for lots of things. 
I really like Beto's government accountability positions: term limits, get the money out of campaigns, end gerrymandering. I think if you did this three reforms it would make our government much more functional. I'd like to see all Dems/the party support those kind of structural reforms. It seems like those could bring in broader support.

Would also like to see new push for the ERA and a gay rights amendment. Or expand the ERA to include LGBT. Settle that issue. As it is, I don't think SCOTUS will overturn Obergefell but any further expansion or lgby equality is going to be denied. Plus shit like masterpiece cakeshop.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Here’s another intemperate thought for the #resistance: how about being for something instead of just against something?

“We’ve gotta stop him/them!”

“Great! Then what are you gonna do?”

“Not be him/them!”

hate to invoke Godwin's law but that is literally where we are

51 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
1 hour ago, M12BH said:
Beto popup office people are invading my home as we speak.

How many will you have?

Well this is going to be going on 9PM to 6PM five days a week, and they will be phone banking and organizing block walks.  So I think it's going to be variable.  Right now we just have an organizer here - apparently they have more offices than they do volunteers and it will take them a few days to catch up processing volunteers.  If you know anyone who wants to work out of the 360/2222 area in Austin, ping me and we'll get you over here.  Special bonus attraction, the office is my music room that's been temporarily converted.  So if anyone is musically inclined we can jaw at my guitars and maybe drag out some of the amps.  I wouldn't be opposed to a little after hours jamaroo if anyone is so inclined.   

• Like 1

And as an additional piece on campaign finance reform, do away with PACs completely.  Rather, only individuals, and only those elilgible to vote, can donate to political campaigns.  That means that neither corporations, unions, or any other organization would NOT be able to donate to candidates.  I would like to see this done on every level of elections.  It is nuts how much is spent in a fucking election.  It is also stupid that the US Presidential election cycle is as long as it is.  

• Like 2

Vote as usual.  
As for talking about campaign finance reform, I would like to see the money for Senate and HOR races, as well as state and local races, be restricted to the actual constituents that person is representing.  This whole national party funding local races is complete bs.  
I agree but in the age of Super PACs and dark money the national small dollar funding is a necessary evil. We need to severely limit money in politics through constitutional amendments. Also, take some serious steps to address bots and foreign influence on the internet. It requires some limits on speech but we're elevating the speech or some at the expense of others.

And as an additional piece on campaign finance reform, do away with PACs completely.  Rather, only individuals, and only those elilgible to vote, can donate to political campaigns.  That means that neither corporations, unions, or any other organization would NOT be able to donate to candidates.  I would like to see this done on every level of elections.  It is nuts how much is spent in a fucking election.  It is also stupid that the US Presidential election cycle is as long as it is.  
Yeah, limit the campaign period like so many democracies do. It's insane how much of our politicians time is spent fundraising and campaigning. It's no wonder they can't get shit done.

I really like Beto's government accountability positions: term limits, get the money out of campaigns, end gerrymandering. I think if you did this three reforms it would make our government much more functional. I'd like to see all Dems/the party support those kind of structural reforms. It seems like those could bring in broader support.

Would also like to see new push for the ERA and a gay rights amendment. Or expand the ERA to include LGBT. Settle that issue. As it is, I don't think SCOTUS will overturn Obergefell but any further expansion or lgby equality is going to be denied. Plus shit like masterpiece cakeshop.

Agree totally on the accountability issues.

2 hours ago, horncyclist said:

Also, take some serious steps to address bots and foreign influence on the internet. It requires some limits on speech but we're elevating the speech or some at the expense of others.

Umm...how?  Look I don’t like it but anything that limits speech on the internet I’m 100% against.  Also you guy realize that the US has been “influencing” elections in other countries for decades now?  From Central America to the Middle East, both secretly and publicly.  The last two presidents have given campaign speeches in multiple countries try to influence voters.  If you want more transparency I’m all for that, but limiting free speech should never be our go to because even if you’re giving it up for great reasons there will always be bad actors who will find away to use this new power in a way that you never intended.  And this goes for both Democrats and Republicans.

• Like 5