Manchaca Road about to be Menchaca Road

wood

Y'all forgot San Jacinto, Mueller, Pedernales, Gruene, Koenig, Manor, Buda, Blanco, Llano, Refugio, and Elgin. They've all got fucked up pronunciations in the Texas dialect.
Edit: I forgot Salado, Mexia, Palestine, Lamesa, and an untold number of other places in this state.

Regional pronunciations thank you very much.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn Al said:

I've stayed out of this because I've been fighting this stupid judge and his BS for years.  But I have a life and could not keep up with the fight.

It's complete crap.  They have nothing other than to cry racism.  And they knew that would work in Austin.  It's pretty pathetic.

And Menchaca is NOT Spanish.  It is Basque.  It was originally spelled Mentxaka.  Let's just rename it that.  So to say Manchac (French) is wrong, but Menchaca (Spanish?) is right, is stupid.  The Basque region lies between both countries.  There are influences from both.

Was it named after an Indian word?  Was it named with French influence from settlers traveling from Louisiana?  Yes, that happened.  New Orleans to Galveston, and there are newspaper ads for wagon rides into Central Texas with a stop in Manchaca.  Some say it can mean "rear entry" or somesuch.  If you're coming up from the south, it's kind of like the backdoor to Austin.  There was a 1700s fort in Louisiana with the name Manchac.

There are many possibilities.  That's the point.  People like RollLeft say those arguments are all weak.  So is the case for Menchaca! It's all based on lore, not fact.

When both sides have relatively weak arguments, just leave it alone.  Go with local history.  They did this same BS when they changed Manchaca Elementary (named after the community) to Menchaca Elementary.  It was a PC move back then, and this is just the next step.

The city sent letters to the businesses along Manchaca Rd seeking support or opposition.  Of the responses they got back, people were overwhelmingly against the change.  City council didn't care. Why bother asking if you're just going to ignore your constituents anyway?

It's going to be really funny when Menchaca Road intersects with Old Manchaca Road, switches to Manchaca Road further south outside the city, ends in Mancahca, TX which has Manchaca Springs and Menchaca Elementary.  Seems very Austin.

Yes. Honor the history of all of those who have lived there and built it to what it is today over the last century.  The origin doesn’t matter to them.  As is, that’s home for thousands over the years  

And the covering the cost line is bullshit. Are you prepared to reimburse all business who incur expense for this bullshit?. Leave it alone. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 8:57 PM, Deej said:

Cesar Chavez is still 1st. MLK is 19th. Dean Keeton is 26th.

Your need to rename shit means nothing to those that have lived here.

Fuck you if you need to change the pronunciation of Burnet Road or Koenig Avenue.

What kind of dumbass calls Water Ave. "First St."??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Y'all forgot San Jacinto, Mueller, Pedernales, Gruene, Koenig, Manor, Buda, Blanco, Llano, Refugio, and Elgin. They've all got fucked up pronunciations in the Texas dialect.

Edit: I forgot Salado, Mexia, Palestine, Lamesa, and an untold number of other places in this state.

San Antonio. Sahn Ahntonio.

4 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

There are many possibilities.  That's the point.  People like RollLeft say those arguments are all weak.  So is the case for Menchaca! It's all based on lore, not fact.

When both sides have relatively weak arguments, just leave it alone.  Go with local history. 

Exactly. It's not as if they have some kind of iron-clad case. To me, the people wanting to make a change that's going to affect everyone along that road and basically rewrite the history of the area, then the burden of proof should be on them and they should be held to a very high standard when proving their case. From what I've seen, Perkins et al have nothing more than hearsay to back them up, while the status quo folks have document after document showing he's wrong. Sadly, the council apparently only listened to Perkins's spiel and didn't give the Manchaca folks a chance to rebut. They weren't interested in facts, which is the norm here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Exactly. It's not as if they have some kind of iron-clad case. To me, the people wanting to make a change that's going to affect everyone along that road and basically rewrite the history of the area, then the burden of proof should be on them and they should be held to a very high standard when proving their case. From what I've seen, Perkins et al have nothing more than hearsay to back them up, while the status quo folks have document after document showing he's wrong. Sadly, the council apparently only listened to Perkins's spiel and didn't give the Manchaca folks a chance to rebut. They weren't interested in facts, which is the norm here.

Ya see youre using logic there. Which is unfortunate. Because logic has very little to do with COA City Council decisions. 

It is interesting that Austin seems to often have no problem rewriting history and changing things to suit modern sensibilities. This is both a good and a bad thing. For example, Liberty lunch got torn down in 99 to make way for COA sponsored development. That was probably a mistake, but has made people long for the place even more since its forever gone. There are many examples of that. The city has definitely changed, for both good and bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 weeks later...

Business owners suing city over name change. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/businesses-sue-austin-over-manchaca-name-change/1593371804

The Manchaca Business Association, which is operating under the name "Leave Manchaca Alone," says the city violated its own ordinance because it didn't notify all property owners of the proposal to change the name from Manchaca to Menchaca. The group argues businesses will have to deal with "significant expenditures" because of the change, including updating government documents, signs and business documents.

The Justice for Manchaca organization, which pushed for the change, also raised $24,000 to pay to correct street signs.

Such bullshit. Someone with a feelings agenda pushes for change........with someone else’s money and inconvenience. Ohh but the celebration we will have when those first street signs are replaced. And the businesses?  What a little name change?  Fuck em

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 6:49 PM, bolverk said:

I was all for the name change because I originally believed in the mistake. Now I'm not so sure, but it seems to me both sides (Spanish-Texan settler vs. French/Choctaw pronunciation) have about the same amount of evidence and the same amount of BS within their argument. But one reason I don't fault myself for believing the Menchaca story is because white people mispronounce shit just because it doesn't sound nice to them all the time, especially in Texas. Sue me.

name conventions are funny. spelling was not always important throughout history as it is today. frequently there would be random capitalization, random misspellings, vowels dropped, consonants added, etc, to give us the names of things and people today. hell, look at the anglicization of european names. we say rome, not roma. we say hungary, not magyarorszag. any number of names are different to different cultures. the argument about choctaw or not is rather humorous when we look at the fact that they called themselves the "chahta." 

it's an organic thing, but usually settles after a period of time. i think it's mostly settled, except for the weird pronunciation/spelling anomaly (but that's fucking common all over austin, and lets not even get into roads with multiple names in different places), and that this is stupid. 

it's probably people that have no vested interests in the actual name of the street. they probably do not live on or near it. they just think there's been some massive injustice somewhere along the line (and maybe there was, sucks, but it happens). leave it be.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

When voted on the group promised to pay for all of the changes for the city. 

It means so much to the community......they were able to amass the whole sum of $24k. 

City needs to not do this unless fully funded without tax payer money. 

I can't wait to see the photos by the city-funded "artist in residence" of the work crews changing out the signs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Manshak bidnesses should just ignore the name change. They’ll still get their mail.

Exactly.  It doesn't cost shit to leave their signs as they are.  Its not like the postman or anyone else for that matter is now gonna get confused.  Its the same address for everyone.  

On 11/14/2018 at 9:52 AM, hayden_horn said:

name conventions are funny. spelling was not always important throughout history as it is today. frequently there would be random capitalization, random misspellings, vowels dropped, consonants added, etc, to give us the names of things and people today. hell, look at the anglicization of european names. we say rome, not roma. we say hungary, not magyarorszag. any number of names are different to different cultures. the argument about choctaw or not is rather humorous when we look at the fact that they called themselves the "chahta." 

it's an organic thing, but usually settles after a period of time. i think it's mostly settled, except for the weird pronunciation/spelling anomaly (but that's fucking common all over austin, and lets not even get into roads with multiple names in different places), and that this is stupid. 

it's probably people that have no vested interests in the actual name of the street. they probably do not live on or near it. they just think there's been some massive injustice somewhere along the line (and maybe there was, sucks, but it happens). leave it be.

Choctaw and chahta (hard h) sound pretty much the same. Just different spellings.

• 2 years later...
On 11/14/2018 at 9:35 AM, BurdineBandit said:

While we're at it, why is it David Bowie but James Bowie?

Fucking Brits can't even decide how to pronounce David Bowie's name (rhyming with the 'ou' in house or with the long o in 'oh').