ALCS: Astros vs. Red Sox

UTexasFight

Granted these are both minuscule sample sizes, but here are the Game 3 starters' numbers vs. their opponents this year:

Keuchel:  6.0 IP, 5 ER, 9 H, 2 BB, 2 K, no decision (but team lost)

Eovaldi (with Tampa):  6.0 IP, 4 ER, 7 H, 0 BB, 5 K, loss.

Hot take:  there will be some runs scored in Game 3.   

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

It did leave the field of play though and then reentered it.  What happens if the ball sits on that same wall out of reach and it doesn't roll off?  In the park home run?  Nope.  Ground rule double.

Can't tell if you're serious or trolling.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stros said:

Cody Daeschner is apparently the dumbest guy in the room if he thinks that guy was the only pitcher in the game using "pine tar."  

(Hint: it was sunscreen.  That's why it was shiny.)

Edit: Shit, Dick Tremayne beat me to it.  He must have sold a lot of sunscreen at Horne's.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

It did leave the field of play though and then reentered it.  What happens if the ball sits on that same wall out of reach and it doesn't roll off?  In the park home run?  Nope.  Ground rule double.

It did not leave the field of play.  The top of the wall was much higher than the padding. 

It was a weird bounce, just like if it hit Third Base, the pitcher's mound, or the flag pole on (the former) Tal's Hill.

FTR, I dislike Fenway and Margo hitting a metal wall with uneven surfaces did little to further endear it to me.  The roll on the pad sucked, but it was plain ole baseball.

Edited by slorch

If he was really “trolling... lulz” then why did he take it down mere minutes later?

Two possibilities:

a) He realized Eovaldi throws 100 and will face him 24 hrs later, or

b) An adult old enough to rent a car sat him down & told him real “primetime” athletes do their best talking on the field, not behind a screen.

But let him keep chasing headlines. It worked out great for Aaron Judge.

1.  I would bet money that Bregman will win a batting title and/or an MVP in the next couple of years, but he doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer.

2.  Having said that... who cares?  I refuse to believe that this stunt is going to make Eovaldi try harder to get him out, because if that's the case, Eovaldi isn't preparing correctly.  The game's won or lost between the lines; this does nothing to change that.  It's just media masturbation.

3.  "Let the kids play."

10 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Cody Daeschner is apparently the dumbest guy in the room if he thinks that guy was the only pitcher in the game using "pine tar."  

(Hint: it was sunscreen.  That's why it was shiny.)

Edit: Shit, Dick Tremayne beat me to it.  He must have sold a lot of sunscreen at Horne's.  

Black guy wearing sun screen for a night game.  Totally normal.

16 minutes ago, dbecks said:

Yeah! Tear it down! No one likes that place!

While we’re at it, same goes for Wrigley, Lambeau, the Rose Bowl, and DKR... everyone knows the best stadiums have retractable roofs (that are open only 2 games a year).

Wrigley and Lambeau can get torn the fuck down too.

Retractable roofs are open all the time so the grass can grow.  But they are closed during games so people don’t sweat their balls off, freeze to death or the game gets rained / snowed out.  Technology, yankeefied teams should look into it some day.

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Wrigley and Lambeau can get torn the fuck down too.

Retractable roofs are open all the time so the grass can grow.  But they are closed during games so people don’t sweat their balls off, freeze to death or the game gets rained / snowed out.  Technology, yankeefied teams should look into it some day.

They should actually just put a dome over all of Boston. Weather sucks there. Plus you could keep Bostonians trapped inside. 

i went to fenway for the all star game in 1999, the one where ted williams golf carted his way onto the field.  our seats were in right field, and a couple of rows behind us, there was an overhang, and a constant water drip that we overheard people complaining about.  there were some uncomfortable areas, shitty sightlines, and parts of the ballpark needed to be updated and/or fixed.

and i loved every minute of being there.  a place can be a dump and still be classic and a great place to watch a baseball game.  it's perfect for a city like boston.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i went to fenway for the all star game in 1999, the one where ted williams golf carted his way onto the field.  our seats were in right field, and a couple of rows behind us, there was an overhang, and a constant water drip that we overheard people complaining about.  there were some uncomfortable areas, shitty sightlines, and parts of the ballpark needed to be updated and/or fixed.

and i loved every minute of being there.  a place can be a dump and still be classic and a great place to watch a baseball game.  it's perfect for a city like boston.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is such an absolutely perfect post.

I went to Fenway for the first time in 2003.  (I was running the marathon the next day.)  I felt like I was walking into an old cathedral.  I just walked around with my jaw dropped for an hour before the game.  Saw Roy Halladay pitch, and he was just mowing down the Sox hitters, who gamely kept working the count, got him tired, out of the game, and rallied to tie.  Nomar was leading off B9, and I turned to my wife and said, "If Nomar hits one over the Monster here, this will be one of the coolest days of my life."

Nomar hit one over the Monster to win it.  

• Like 2

I've been to 7 games at Fenway, and every single one was amazing.  Yeah, it's cramped and old inside. It's also one of the few baseball places that will give you the feels.

Also, if this were Pittsburg, San Francisco, Kansas City, or Baltimore Fans talking shit about Fenway relative to their own stadium, I could see you're point.  Those are some of the best stadiums in the game.  

For Houston fans to be talking shit is, well, like a guy in 2004 Ford Taurus talking shit about your 61 Lincoln Continental that has some rust. 

HOK stole 3/4 of the design elements for the stadium from Wrigley, Fenway, and Tiger stadium.  I mean, you have a fucking Citgo sign in left field.

Edited by Bateshorn

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I've been to 7 games at Fenway, and every single one was amazing.  Yeah, it's cramped and old inside. It's also one of the few baseball places that will give you the feels.

Also, if this were Pittsburg, San Francisco, Kansas City, or Baltimore Fans talking shit about Fenway relative to their own stadium, I could see you're point.  Those are some of the best stadiums in the game.  

For Houston fans to be talking shit is, well, like a guy in 2004 Ford Taurus talking shit about your 61 Lincoln Continental that has some rust. 

HOK stole 3/4 of the design elements for the stadium from Wrigley, Fenway, and Tiger stadium.  I mean, you have a fucking Citgo sign in left field.

Citgo has been gone for 2 years jackass!

• Like 1

Oh, I'm sorry, you crushed me when noting that Enron, excuse me, Minute Made Park, removed the Citgo sign from left field that was patterned on the Citgo sign made famous for overlooking Fenway Park.  My point that most of the Astro's ballpark elements where ripped from existing stadium design is now moot.

Well played, sir.

25 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Oh, I'm sorry, you crushed me when noting that Enron, excuse me, Minute Made Park, removed the Citgo sign from left field that was patterned on the Citgo sign made famous for overlooking Fenway Park.  

Don't forget that they also removed the hill in CF that was copied from Crosley Field and the flagpole in play that was copied from Tiger Stadium.  

MMP is completely unique, you dumbass.

Edit: FTR -- I loved the hill.  I was pissed when they announced they would remove it.

Edited by Beau Vine

47 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i think the point here is that both sides are right.  in response to "fenway's a dump" dbecks said "let's tear it down."  a place can be a dump and still be a historically relevant landmark, or awesome place to experience a baseball game.

It is a true temple of the game.  It's a shame there won't be any more postseason games there this season.

• Like 1