ALCS: Astros vs. Red Sox

UTexasFight

According to Sportscenter, if not for mirror incredible catches by Reddick and Benintendi in the 9th, this would have been the first post-season game to have runs scored in every inning.  Instead it ended up the second to have scoring in each of the first eight innings. 

Edit:

I've got a new wig and will be hitting all the big sports events with a RULE 3.16 sign:

852c7794-79e2-4f75-b133-f7eede2faac9.jpg

Edited by clapclapclap

4 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

"...talking about one of the all time HR robbing catches in history."

HR robbing catches in the first few innings midway through a league championship series never qualify for "all-time".

In a League Championship Series the catch has to come in Game 7, or at the end of Game 6 to send it to Game 7. And then if it's in the 5th inning or later of a World Series game, THEN you can start talking about "all time".

Last night's near catch that was disrupted by fan interference would hardly be worthy of "all-time" consideration. Who gives a fuck? Take the loss and move on.

43 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

MLB really wants that LA v Boston match up.  It has been clear from the start of this series.

A blown call by (surprise!) Joe West isn't exactly tantamount to a "vast, far-reaching, hit job conspiracy."

This ain't the NBA.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Conspiracy aside, it only takes one look at the @MLB twitter account during the game last night to see that Boston is absolutely the preferred team.

Well yeah. TBS too.

Astros score after 2 outs. "The Red Sox pitcher must really feel bad about that."

Red Sox score after 2 outs.  "How great must these Red Sox hitters feel to get clutch hits like that."

It may as well have been their local broadcasting crew. Hell, I would have probably even preferred that. This TBS crew is terrible. 

• Like 1

Man, that's a tough call. By the letter of the law, it probably should have been a home run. But, had the fans not interfered, I think Betts catches it, or, at very least, knock it back down into play. If it happened in Boston, I'd say, "tough shit, control your dumb ass fans" and give them the HR. But your own fans contributing to the HR feels wrong.

Like others have said, it's insane that HR or Out are the only two options. Split the difference and give him a double.

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Well yeah. TBS too.

Astros score after 2 outs. "The Red Sox pitcher must really feel bad about that."

Red Sox score after 2 outs.  "How great must these Red Sox hitters feel to get clutch hits like that."

It may as well have been their local broadcasting crew. Hell, I would have probably even preferred that. This TBS crew is terrible. 

The passive aggressive criticism they gave the Astros for not blowing up a mattress for Pearce to land on when he flew into the dugout was some of the most absurd stuff I've ever heard.

I agree with the national bias being pro-Boston. That, and Houston fans pretty much the stereotype for what everyone thinks a Houstonian looks like. Bunch of Ted Cruz voters in Houston trying to copy his body.

I think that was the wrong call, but you can't give up 7 two out runs at home and expect to win

Too many walks.  Too many mistakes.  Bad series for the Astros.  Sox deserve it at this point.  Maybe we make a huge comeback...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, huge said:

I think that was the wrong call, but you can't give up 7 two out runs at home and expect to win

Too many walks.  Too many mistakes.  Bad series for the Astros.  Sox deserve it at this point.  Maybe we make a huge comeback...

this right here.  we won last year because we did all the little things you need to do.  the right plays, the right throws, the occasional clutch hit.  not only are we not doing that, but boston is, and we're allowing extra bases, hitting guys, walking guys, pretty much everything you cannot do against a really good (in this case great) baseball team.

also doesn't help that we're basically the walking wounded, and getting no help from the umps.  but i don't think that's the difference in the series.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Could be off base, but after the beating that is Joe Buck and Smoltz I was pretty grateful for the TBS announcing crew.

I know everybody bashes almost every announcer, but you don't even like Smoltz?  Are you really young or something?  Do you remember Tim McCarver?  Smoltz is great.  

1 minute ago, Go Pokes said:

I know everybody bashes almost every announcer, but you don't even like Smoltz?  Are you really young or something?  Do you remember Tim McCarver?  Smoltz is great.  

Nope, I'm an old man.  Smoltz and Buck find one point and then never leave that point for innings (hours).  Smoltz also lately never gives any analysis outside of what the pitcher is doing, and what he thinks of the manager's bullpen management.  And he's anti any modern analytics and talks way too much about "back in my day."

All my opinion.  I find the TBS announcers less stuck in broken record mode.  At least in these two series.

• Like 1

Agreed on the TBS crew. It was about time they gave Brian Anderson the Championships Series. He’s so much better than Ernie Johnson, and does a great job as the Brewers play by play man during the regular season. Darling is good too.

i wish though MLB would allow local announcers to do playoff games but realistically that won’t happen. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dbecks said:

THE CATCH: Benintendi (off Bregman)
THE THROW: Betts
THE BIG BLAST: Bradley
THE CONTROVERSY: Betts
THE BULLPEN: Brasier, Barnes

Bradley.  Was watching post-game.  In every one of his at bats we threw him a first pitch change-up.  Well you know what happened in his third at bat.  How about maybe we mix-up our strategy just a bit?

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

this right here.  we won last year because we did all the little things you need to do.  the right plays, the right throws, the occasional clutch hit.  not only are we not doing that, but boston is, and we're allowing extra bases, hitting guys, walking guys, pretty much everything you cannot do against a really good (in this case great) baseball team.

also doesn't help that we're basically the walking wounded, and getting no help from the umps.  but i don't think that's the difference in the series.

what's crazy is just 1 or 2 clutch/situational hits and it's easily a 2-2 series with us playing like dog shit.  All the "bad luck" and they still had a few chances to get it back but couldn't get the runs in.

2c39c691ac63b2901d9f2f8f55ec01ca.jpg

You Astros fans that want to dispute this call need to focus on whether he out of the field of play or not and nothing else, if you do, it only weakens your argument.

There is zero doubt both of those idiots interfered with him catching the ball. I played baseball until I was 40 and I don’t think I’ve ever closed my glove before the ball arrived, it’s not how it’s done and anyone who has played knows this.

No major leaguer, especially one as good as he is, is going to randomly close his glove before the ball arrives. You keep your glove open until the impact initiated the closing around the ball. Those fans hit his glove 100% and interfered.

The argument is whether he was leaning enough into the field of play to eliminate the interference call. I can’t tell from the photo if he was or not, didn’t see any side angle view of play.

I hate seeing a great hit by Altuve or a great catch by Mookie ruined because of idiot fans.
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

You Astros fans that want to dispute this call need to focus on whether he out of the field of play or not and nothing else, if you do, it only weakens your argument.

There is zero doubt both of those idiots interfered with him catching the ball. I played baseball until I was 40 and I don’t think I’ve ever closed my glove before the ball arrived, it’s not how it’s done and anyone who has played knows this.

No major leaguer, especially one as good as he is, is going to randomly close his glove before the ball arrives. You keep your glove open until the impact initiated the closing around the ball. Those fans hit his glove 100% and interfered.

The argument is whether he was leaning enough into the field of play to eliminate the interference call. I can’t tell from the photo if he was or not, didn’t see any side angle view of play.

I hate seeing a great hit by Altuve or a great catch by Mookie ruined because of idiot fans.

i haven't seen anyone argue whether those fans affected mookie's ability to make the catch.  maybe that was part of what they were trying to argue initially, but i don't think that point's debatable - obviously they made contact with him and made it a much harder catch (it was already pretty tough, even for mookie).

to me, the question isn't whether he could or was going to make the catch.  to me, the initial question is this:

if there were no fans, and no fielder, where does the ball land?  in my opinion, the answer is in the stands. 

ok.  so then, you have to ask:

where was mookie's glove when he made contact with the fans?  or better put, did mookie reach into the fan area, or did the fans reach into mookie's area?  in my opinion, mookie reached into the fans area (which is totally legal, but not by-the-book interference).  if i'm correct on both those points, it's a homer, and a smart play by those fans to 'interfere' with him making the catch (obviously it wasn't intentional by them to do that).

it changed the complexion of the game, and obviously nobody knows how it would've turned out had it been called correctly.  in any case, the astros had multiple opportunities to win the game, and led 4 innings later.  onward.

• Like 1

I think you can see what you want in terms of whether Betts was or wasn't in play when his glove hit the fans.    to me, I don't see how West makes that call from 100+ ft away.  We can't tell from closeup still photography but West knows he was right.  After all, the replay only said that they didn't have enough info to overturn West.  They didn't say West was right.

for me, I think the initial call should be a home run as the ball was obviously over the line.  then replay should be used to see if the fan interfered.  West had no way of knowing that answer in real time.  Call it a home run, and let Cora challenge it.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think you can see what you want in terms of whether Betts was or wasn't in play when his glove hit the fans.    to me, I don't see how West makes that call from 100+ ft away.  We can't tell from closeup still photography but West knows he was right.  After all, the replay only said that they didn't have enough info to overturn West.  They didn't say West was right.

for me, I think the initial call should be a home run as the ball was obviously over the line.  then replay should be used to see if the fan interfered.  West had no way of knowing that answer in real time.  Call it a home run, and let Cora challenge it.

Yep.  The real problem is that West would have absolutely called that a HR on the field if Boston had been batting.  And an HR is absolutely the right call on the field every single time for that type of  play.   Even if there was egregious interference.  There are probably only a handful of times, ever, in the replay era, where interference was called on the field.   If its overturned on replay, its overturned.  Instead, he intentionally made a call that would increase Boston's chance at "winning" the replay.  

• Like 1

I would have called it a double and moved on.

refs stink in  all sports when the calls go against your team.

And if a Home Run is coming my way off the bat of beastmode Altuve... best believe I'm tryin to catch it.... and i pray my two chins dont make it on ESPN

Edited by kingkoopa6
refs are shit
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

I would have called it a double and moved on.

refs stink in  all sports when the calls go against your team.

And if a Home Run is coming my way off the bat of beastmode Altuve... best believe I'm tryin to catch it.... and i pray my two chins dont make it on ESPN

Umps can't make up rules by splitting the difference by calling it a double.

The ball ended up in the stands without hitting the ground. So either it went over the fence on its own (home run), bounced off Bett's glove into the stands (still a HR) or was still in the field of play when the fans pushed Betts' glove aside (fan interference.)   I don't think it can be called an automatic double as a consolation to the rules.   

And as much as players don't want fans to interfere with their glove, baseball rules don't protect players from interference on the fans' side of the fence.  Unless the umps make a bad call.

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yep.  The real problem is that West would have absolutely called that a HR on the field if Boston had been batting.  

You believe this?  So there is some sort of conspiracy?  It was just a bad call.  And not one that was totally ridiculous.

Edited by huge
  • Like 1