ALCS: Astros vs. Red Sox

UTexasFight

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yep.  The real problem is that West would have absolutely called that a HR on the field if Boston had been batting.  And an HR is absolutely the right call on the field every single time for that type of  play.   Even if there was egregious interference.  There are probably only a handful of times, ever, in the replay era, where interference was called on the field.   If its overturned on replay, its overturned.  Instead, he intentionally made a call that would increase Boston's chance at "winning" the replay.  

i think mlb and the networks would like to see a boston-la world series.  i think the announcers and networks based in the northeast absolutely favor the yankees and red sox, and aren't great at masking this on the air. 

i also think joe west made a bad call because he's a bad umpire.  i don't think it had anything to do with who hit the ball.  now if boston was hitting, would the call have been overturned and ruled a homer?  i don't know.  with time to look at it, it's certainly possible.  but i don't think joe west is part of some conspiracy directive handed down from up on high + blessed with the ability to make a snap call to favor one side or the other.  (ftr, i also think the media/networks want the astros to win tonight, because a longer series is better for ratings, more games, etc)

the funny thing is that boston fans/media have been talking about what a great catch it could've been, that mookie would've certainly "robbed" the homer if not for the fans getting in the way.  these same fans/media think the call was correct, even though "robbing" a homer, by definition, means he would've gone into the stands to catch the ball.

thank god we won last year, because i don't think the city could deal with this right now without a ring on our collective, figurative fingers.

it's over.  move on.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dbecks said:

THE CATCH: Benintendi (off Bregman)
THE THROW: Betts
THE BIG BLAST: Bradley
THE CONTROVERSY: Betts
THE BULLPEN: Brasier, Barnes

I wasn't meaning to slight them. Just lol'd at the announcer giving them that title given that they are playing the Astros. I'm sure Astros fans were butthurt

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

But the umpire some 300 feet away had no problem seeing that the fans did reach over the wall?

I never said that. Honestly, I think baseball needs to have more cameras installed for situations like this. And in many stadiums, the fans need to be back from the walls, so interference can't occur. Why not have a 5-10 ft buffer zone? That way the fielder has a chance to make the play without any fan interference. He either catches it or it's a HR 

Edited by immortal13

5 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I never said that. Honestly, I think baseball needs to have more cameras installed for situations like this. And in many stadiums, the fans need to be back from thd walls, so interference can't occur. Why not have a 5-10 buffer zone? That way the fielder has a chance to make the play without any fan interference. He either catches it or it's a HR 

So the umpire called something that he clearly couldn't see.  The Astros got jobbed on that call.  I don't care whether they win or not, but I can tell you that for sure.  There is no way that umpire could tell if it was interference or not, therefore, the proper way to call it would be to call it a home run and let review determine if there was interference or not.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So the umpire called something that he clearly couldn't see.  The Astros got jobbed on that call.  I don't care whether they win or not, but I can tell you that for sure.

He saw fans interferring? Again I am not speaking to what the ump saw or thought. From what I saw there is no way to know if a fan came across the plane and made ANY contact with Betts before the ball got there

8 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

From what I saw there is no way to know if a fan came across the plane and made ANY contact with Betts before the ball got there

Exactly.  If the replays don't even show it clearly then how can the umpire on the field call it when there is no way he could see it either.  The call should have been home run and let the review call the interference if it showed that there was any.

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

If Joe West wasn’t so fat maybe he moves faster into better position and it’s a HR

If Altuve wasn’t such a midge maybe he hits it harder and it’s a HR

If those fans weren’t so aggy maybe they don’t interfere and it’s a HR

All great points. 

Without caring who won or lost the game I didn't have a problem with the call. Now if I was an Astros fan I would be livid but I think it was a 50/50 call and West went with fan interference. 

As a Cubs fan don't blame the guy for trying to grab the ball, we don't need Bartman part 2. 

9 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Exactly.  If the replays don't even show it clearly then how can the umpire on the field call it when there is no way he could see it either.  The call should have been home run and let the review call the interference if it showed that there was any.

You have a point there, but he did. And the replay isn't definitive, so we get stuck with the call on the field. Maybe that is the way umps are trained to call it in those types of situations? Either way I still think there should be a buffer zone so fans can't make contact with a player. Simple solution

If the Astros win tonight, they’ll then be going up against Sale, who certainly isn’t at 100% after getting out of the hospital a few days ago. And if they win that... anything can happen in a Game 7.

So... the Sox need to end this tonight. But vs Verlander, I doubt they will.

53 minutes ago, dbecks said:

If the Astros win tonight, they’ll then be going up against Sale, who certainly isn’t at 100% after getting out of the hospital a few days ago. And if they win that... anything can happen in a Game 7.

Yall are gonna win. Umps are entirely too one sided today. Worse than yesterday. Youll break through eventually. Congrats, I guess if you want to win like this. 

1 hour ago, dbecks said:

See told you. JD can get as many strikes as he needs until he hits it out. Why is this game even being played?

I'm a Cubs fan, that was a home run. He would have caught the ball had his timing been better, it wasnt. He closed his glove to soon.

He didn’t close his glove too soon, Jesus. That pic is when he is in his way down after the fans hit his glove. Stop saying that.

I agree it should have been ruled a HR and let review decide. I hope that’s s lesson to all dumbass fans that want to be part of the story

6 minutes ago, NowThis said:

beat our ace. The best team in the game and Htown is 2nd easily. 

Dont know if the Astros are 2nd. Also I think the Dodgers beat you if the games are called fairly. I don't expect them to be though. Its a Yankees/Red Sox league. You beat the Yankees fair and square. The rest, not so much. 

This game is bad mojo. So was the last. I get that it settled down, but thats what was intended. Call it so it is hopeless for the Astros til they give up and then call it even. Wouldnt want to win this way if the Sox were my team. But congrats. You could have probably beat the Astros in a fairly called series, but we will never know. 

Edited by FondrenRoad